PDA

View Full Version : "But that's wrong."

Sweets Witch
February 10th, 2013, 10:55 PM
How do you deal with people who have differing opinions? Are you the type to calmly state your case, or do you fly off the deep end and start pointing out every flaw in the opposing argument? Maybe a bit of both?

Brynjolf
February 11th, 2013, 10:22 AM
I just ignore them, because I can't make up good arguments on the spot. I'll end up making myself look dumb.

Plus I never really feel like getting into a feud with anyone at school or in public, so the only arguments I really get into are with my brothers.

Sableye~
February 11th, 2013, 10:26 AM
I don't really care enough to start a debate over something like a differing opinion.

Katamari
February 11th, 2013, 10:32 AM
I'm pretty quick to correct someone, and unfortunately I can get really stubborn about it, but only if they are about defending any misinformed facts.

My mom and I butt heads ALL THE TIME because of this, we're both extremely stubborn and we usually have differing opinions on things that are more factual or procedural than opinionated, like we were actually arguing about the best way to toast bread yesterday haha...

But yeah I don't care what anyone's opinions are, it's just if they are like... 'You should do,' or 'It should be done like,' kinds of statements, then I'm pretty quick to defend. Argh I can't think of any exact examples lol q_q

Esper
February 11th, 2013, 10:49 AM
People sometimes say I'm stubborn, but that's just what wrong people say when they can't admit I'm right.

Opinions are one thing. People can have opinions ("I like Twilight.") and that doesn't bother me. When someone tries to make an argument for something ("Twilight's good because it has such strong characters.") I feel like they've opened the door to be challenged and if I'm in the mood I'll make my case.

Poke Fox
February 11th, 2013, 11:14 AM
I accept everyone's different opinions - even if they are good or bad, I have no problem with it, I really like hearing other's opinions.

There are two times when I will express my opinion...
• As long as the person giving the opinion doesn't try to force it on others, saying stuff like (example) "I'm always right, everyone else is wrong, so everyone must accept what I say"
• When ever I'm being asked personally, I will respond truthfully.

Broken_Arrow
February 11th, 2013, 11:53 AM
i don't like to argue but when i have to i find myself arguing.

.EJ
February 11th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Hmm, if I think they're wrong and I have legitimate facts and reasons then I'll more than likely point them out. Depending on who the person is, of course.

Talli
February 11th, 2013, 12:58 PM
if I think someone has their facts muddled up I will defo tell them straight.

pikakitten
February 11th, 2013, 05:51 PM
It depends on the situation because somethings have no fact, just opinion and how strongly I feel about it, if it's an obvious thing though I'll just tell them "2+2 does not =5 because there is no variable there, the joke is played out, wrong, and wasn't funny to begin with" xD

Magic Christmas Lights
February 12th, 2013, 09:19 AM
I'm usually pretty calm. I mean, what right do I have to tell someone that their opinion is wrong? Who knows if mine is even right. And then there are the situations where opinions can't be wrong or right... However, if I'm talking to someone who's really close to me, I'll usually just nonchalantly state my opinion and let the person I'm talking to decide whether or not they want to know more. I also will speak up if someone's saying something egregiously offensive (like making a sexist/racist/etc. remark) or something that's dangerously (as in, someone may listen to the person and literally die from their advice) incorrect.

The only time I get into really aggressive-type arguments over this kind of stuff is with my family, haha. They don't like differing opinions as much as I do.

Cosmotone8
February 12th, 2013, 10:00 AM
How do you deal with people who have differing opinions? Are you the type to calmly state your case, or do you fly off the deep end and start pointing out every flaw in the opposing argument? Maybe a bit of both?
I calmly state my opinion, and if they continue to keep pushing back my argument, then I'll "fly off the deep end" as you say. xD

Meganium
February 12th, 2013, 10:13 AM
I accept everyone's opinion no matter what. I mean, I respect everyone's thoughts about a certain thing, so I'll listen even if I'm against something. Unless someone says something that I'm strongly, strooooooongly for or against, I'm more likely going to say something, but I won't attempt to create an argument or anything.

tbh i kinda hate arguing & stuff. lol

inb4 Pinkie-Dawn posts here

Hannah
February 12th, 2013, 03:18 PM
I appreciate everyone's comments about everything. I don't normally interfere with people's opinions, but when I do, it's about Justin Bieber.

Shining Raichu
February 13th, 2013, 02:52 PM
It depends what the differing opinion is about. If it's about a TV show I like, I will immediately fly off the handle and tell them they're stupid for not liking such a wonderful piece of mastery. If it's about something important like homo rights, the same deal applies.

For everything else, I don't really care enough to make a fuss. But if you touch my TV shows, I will kill you.