PDA

View Full Version : The 55th Grammy Awards!

GreatTornado
February 11th, 2013, 12:01 PM
So, as you may know, the Grammy awards were on a couple of nights ago. This thread is to discuss things about the Grammy's, people you thought were going to win a Grammy but didn't, etc.

I'm honestly surprised Call Me Maybe didn't win a Grammy Award.

shenanigans
February 11th, 2013, 12:07 PM
I'll move this over to General Entertainment since it's about... well... entertainment! For future reference, please read this (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7222232&postcount=3) and feel free to PM me if you have further questions.

Anyway, the Grammys - I didn't really pay too much attention to them (as in, none) so I'll have a look a bit later and see what went on, but regarding Call Me Maybe, I'd... have been seriously annoyed if it had won something. I just can't acknowledge it as a serious song or an actual piece of work worth celebrating. It takes cookie-cutter to the next level and I really don't see much in that making it hugely worthwhile. I know it was massive but that's because of its cookie-cutter nature. Just... no, imo.

Vital
February 11th, 2013, 03:51 PM
I was too busy watching the Walking Dead, but I caught up with the awards this morning, and I must say, the results didn't surprise me. I expected fun., Gotye, and Lonely Boys to dominate.

I do have a question though, I never figured out the difference between record and song of the year. What is it?

antemortem
February 11th, 2013, 04:09 PM
I do have a question though, I never figured out the difference between record and song of the year. What is it?
Song of the Year recognizes the composer rather than the artist, while Record of the Year recognizes the artist, producer, mixer, etc, basically the whole shebang.

I wasn't surprised that Somebody That I Used to Know won Record of the Year (along with Making Mirrors winning Best Alternative Music award) because I, personally, love that song, and I love Gotye as a whole. I wasn't too enthused with any of the other nominees - except We Are Never Getting Back Together because who doesn't like that song! - so maybe it didn't all come down to bias. As some people might know I dislike that fun.'s We Are Young bested Ed Sheeran's The A Team for Song of the Year.

Props to Frank Ocean for his Best Contemporary Album win!

Lance
February 12th, 2013, 08:38 AM
And the award for breast in show goes to Katy Perry.

I for one, am glad that fun. & Gotye won, and I am also thankful for the fect that Bieber didn't win anything. All is well.

Esper
February 12th, 2013, 09:10 AM
We Are Never Getting Back Together because who doesn't like that song!
I don't like that song. :p

I hadn't followed the Grammies at all, but hearing that Gotye won makes me a little happy since Somebody That I Used to Know was one of the few hit songs that I heard and liked.

shenanigans
February 12th, 2013, 09:21 AM
...We Are Young won song of the year? Dear lord. It was no bad song, sure, but it wasn't particularly interesting or smooth imo. Somebody I Used To Know I could have seen coming and I can't really pick fault with it at all - although I'll have to see the other options before I really have an opinion. As for The A Team, again, sure. It's a nice song and he pulls it off well although as far as Ed goes I'd have rather You Need Me I Don't Need You win.

Rest
February 14th, 2013, 01:27 AM
I don't like that song. :p

I hadn't followed the Grammies at all, but hearing that Gotye won makes me a little happy since Somebody That I Used to Know was one of the few hit songs that I heard and liked.

weeeeEEEEEEEE

That song (and her whole album, really) has become a guilty pleasure of mine. :x

Props to Yeezy winning three; he can add that to his box of statues totalling 21 Grammys (which is an obscene amount). Even though I'm not so fond of his latest collaborative albums (Cruel Summer and Watch the Throne), I love him as an artist and he always brings something new to the table for us fans. He totally deserves it... especially after the Grammys totally denied him an album nomination for his magnificently grandiose work in My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (I still hold this grudge).

I was hoping Frank Ocean would sweep everything (his album places fifth on my personal top 10 list), but alas. :(