PDA

View Full Version : What fictional reality would you not want to live in?

Gliese
February 11th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Most of us have fictional worlds we wish we could live in, whether it's Pokemon, Harry Potter, and many others. However, some of us probably enjoy stories even though we'd probably rather not live in that world.

For me, that would be Mid-World in Stephen King's Dark Tower series. While it is my favorite book series of all time, Mid-World would not be a fun place to live at all. The remains of "civilization" are well past their prime, and the world is overrun by death, and horrors (both man-made and supernatural). It's the most post-apocalyptic world I can think of.

What about you guys? What fictional worlds are you glad you don't live in? And why?

JayD
February 11th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Mine would be The Matrix.

I mean, would you live in a world that is completely digital and only exist in your mind? Knowing that robots uses your body to keep them alive and that you are disposable? And when you DO wake up from that, the world that you were so used to is now gone and the whole world is being overrun by robots and that your whole life was a lie.

I don't think I would wanna live in that kind of world :(

pikakitten
February 11th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Mine would be The Matrix.

I mean, would you live in a world that is completely digital and only exist in your mind? Knowing that robots uses your body to keep them alive and that you are disposable? And when you DO wake up from that, the world that you were so used to is now gone and the whole world is being overrun by robots and that your whole life was a lie.

I don't think I would wanna live in that kind of world :(

Yeah, I'd have to agree with this, it means everything you know is a lie, no family, friends, anything, it's just... depressing xD

FenrirDarkWolf
February 11th, 2013, 10:53 PM
Have any of you all read the book called "Anthem?"
Well, in that world, there is no 'I' just 'we' even if referring only to yourself. You are given a word and a number for a name. One is forced to do something that they would hate to do, and is killed doing anything otherwise. There is no electricity, there is no lights. Deviating is a crime, and differences are not encouraged.
I wouldn't want to live in a world where I'm not my own person. And this just describes it. It was either this, or '1984.'

Sableye~
February 12th, 2013, 05:12 AM
Pokemon.
I don't want these monster creatures to make attempts to destroy me.

Shining Raichu
February 12th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Since this deals with fictional universes from media franchises, I think this belongs in Culture and Media General Entertainment, so I'm gonna move it over there :)

Toutebelle
February 12th, 2013, 08:26 AM
I would really hate to live in an 80s teen movie like Revenge of the Nerds or Just One of the Guys.

I'm already very unpopular, and I can't imagine having to be tormented and emotionally abused by rich jocks who look like Nazi poster boys. In fact, watching too many of these movies made me develop a prejudice against all guys with blond hair. Plus I'm kind of nerdy, but if I was in an 80s teen movie that means I'd have to look like a total geek with square glasses, a pocket protector, and tighty whities that might get pulled over my head. (The last part was the reason why I started wearing boxers.) I'm a little vain, and I would never want to look that ugly. Too bad What Not to Wear doesn't help men! But I do wear glasses...just not all the time. And I'm glad I don't have the nerd physique. I'm bigger than half of the jocks!

If I did have to live in one, I'd hope for something like Carrie, where I could gain superpowers. I'd take revenge against the rich blond jocks.

Esper
February 12th, 2013, 09:19 AM
I wouldn't want to live in most fictional worlds. Fiction has an overabundance of danger. I would like to come up with an exhaustive list of why different worlds would be bad to live in, but that would take too much time. Anywhere with vampires, wizards, aliens, etc. etc. is probably going to be a bad place to live if you're a normal flesh-and-blood person.

Talli
February 12th, 2013, 09:34 AM
I would not like to live in Middle earth because I would be scared of the Orcs that would kill me.

Squirrel
February 12th, 2013, 09:50 AM
I wouldn't want to live in Sword Art: Online's world since the chance of me ever unplugging from the nervegear (assuming the whole "lol trapped u gon die" situation never happened!) is would be about 0%. It sounds like an utterly amazing thing to be able to do/play and the whole experience would be incredible, but I don't think I'd ever be able to stop haha. Therefore life = ruined!

Meganium
February 12th, 2013, 09:59 AM
I think the world of Panem is one setting I wouldn't want to live in. Even though I'm way too old enough to be considered a tribute to the Hunger Games, I refuse to see my future children having to endure reapings every year...or worse, get chosen to be a tribute to the games. That would be horrible, not only as a parent myself, but a citizen in a poor district.

Nick
February 13th, 2013, 07:20 PM
I'd definitely not want to be in Ballooney land, where Pin Cushion Man reigns terror.

All joking aside, I think I'd like the world of Fruits Basket, or maybe Pokémon. Better yet, some fictional space-western reality with a massive army that I command. lol jk ;)

bbgenderless600
February 13th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Most of us have fictional worlds we wish we could live in, whether it's Pokemon, Harry Potter, and many others. However, some of us probably enjoy stories even though we'd probably rather not live in that world.

For me, that would be Mid-World in Stephen King's Dark Tower series. While it is my favorite book series of all time, Mid-World would not be a fun place to live at all. The remains of "civilization" are well past their prime, and the world is overrun by death, and horrors (both man-made and supernatural). It's the most post-apocalyptic world I can think of.

What about you guys? What fictional worlds are you glad you don't live in? And why?

Friday the 13th wouldn't be fun because Jason would be a constant concern however the POTC Land seems fun so living there could be fun so that way i could meet up with Jack Sparrow so him and i could join up and do whatever.

Febbe
February 15th, 2013, 02:50 PM
although i'm a giant Final Fantasy fan i wouldn't want to live in most of the final fantasy worlds, just think about being as boxy looking as the final fantasy 7 characters or sound as dumb as Tidus in FFX.... or more seriusly all FF worlds are like on the brink of destruction n' stuff wouldn't be very funny.

LORD ANTE
February 16th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Speaking of Square Enix, I would not want to be involved in the world of Kingdom Hearts, because everything is so spontaneously different and unworldly (as per the requirements of most, if not all, fiction anythings!). I wouldn't want to have to be cautious of creatures such as the likes of Hockomonkey, or basically anythingfrom Dream Drop Distance, lurking around the corner.. I'd be a shut-in, and shut-ins have no friends. :(

Cordelia
February 16th, 2013, 07:44 AM
I think the world of Panem is one setting I wouldn't want to live in. Even though I'm way too old enough to be considered a tribute to the Hunger Games, I refuse to see my future children having to endure reapings every year...or worse, get chosen to be a tribute to the games. That would be horrible, not only as a parent myself, but a citizen in a poor district.

Definitely -- I'd be stuck in District 12 myself, so I'd definitely not want to live in Panem. That would be hell on Earth. I couldn't imagine how horrible it'd be. ;-; Save me Katniss!

I also wouldn't want to live in the Aliens universe with that evil company always trying to bring the alien back to Earth. ;-;

Brynjolf
February 17th, 2013, 11:23 AM
I would hate living in the reality of "The Walking Dead".
You all know why. Zombies would not be fun.

gimmepie
February 17th, 2013, 10:40 PM
hmmm since 1984 has been said...

The world in In Time would suck. I couldn't take shortening my own life for basic material goods that are needed for the purpose of keeping me alive.

Rainbow Daaash
February 17th, 2013, 10:47 PM
As much as I love the franchise, I would not want to live in the Gears of War Universe. Why? Because they have these things.

(Can't post image, less than 15 posts. :L )

Giant Serapedes. Google it, since I can't put that image here... Maybe I'll come back and post an image of one after I make 15 posts. Anywho, I don't fear bugs in general. Just house centipedes. These things, are like 30 foot long, carnivorous, bulletproof, armor plated, predatory, electrically-charged-jaw, GIANT - house centipedes. No thank you. Keep me planets and universes away from whatever reality contains them.

Hikamaru
February 18th, 2013, 12:26 AM
Definitely the universe of the Call of Duty series, along with being one of my most-hated franchises, living in places full of constant gunfire would mean I'd get killed pretty easily.

And I hate guns and FPS-genre games in general too, so that's a double no-no.

curiousnathan
February 18th, 2013, 03:33 AM
Although I love the Hunger Games series, I definitely would not like to be a tribute in one of the games; no thank you!

Limanya
February 18th, 2013, 04:55 AM
Hmm, i don't think Alternia from Homestuck would be fun, what with the caste system and death everywhere.

Evil Stud Muffin
February 18th, 2013, 08:18 AM
I would not want to live in the world of Pokemon. You leave home at the age of 10 to go live in the wilderness with nothing but a 1 foot starter against anything and everything nature can throw at you, including 4 foot bees. NO THANK YOU.

B3andon
February 18th, 2013, 08:32 AM
I'm surprised no one mentioned this already, Star Wars is my pick. Not only can you travel in space at the light speed you can also get attacked by wookiees! Sounds pretty fun to me.

Cordelia
February 18th, 2013, 09:34 AM
I'm surprised no one mentioned this already, Star Wars is my pick. Not only can you travel in space at the light speed you can also get attacked by wookiees! Sounds pretty fun to me.

This is places you WOULDN'T want to live in. I'm pretty sure people would want to live there... or in the Star Trek Univerise. I wouldn't want to live in the Sith era though, that'd be bad juju.

Mr Cat Dog
February 18th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Games of Thrones-land. I'd like to not die at a moment's notice in battle or die at a moment's notice from all the filth or die at a moment's notice from getting on the wrong side of a market seller or just die at any moment. I'd really like not to die, if you can't already tell.

Toutebelle
February 19th, 2013, 07:45 PM
I would not like to live in Middle earth because I would be scared of the Orcs that would kill me.

The Orcs are scary, but they're nothing compared to the giant spiders such as Shelob. I wouldn't even go near her or the giant spiders of Mirkwood.

But the most frightening abomination of Middle-earth is Ungoliant, the foremother of all the evil spiders. She's actually much bigger than Shelob - eventually, she might have grown bigger than a blue whale. Ungoliant is the stuff nightmares are made of - she's a primordial evil being in spider from. And she was so powerful, she was almost unstoppable. After Ungoliant consumed the Two Trees and all the light around it, it still wasn't enough. In fact, she threatened to devour Morgoth. Fortunately, Ungoliant was long gone by the time of LOTR. She had gone deep into the southern hemisphere of Middle-earth and eaten herself.

The Corrupt Plague
February 27th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Touhou. Did you somehow cross the border into Gensokyo? Better get to that village and fast before you become youkai food!

Roranosuke
February 27th, 2013, 07:44 PM
I refuse to live in any story in which the world ends. Or is dominated by facsists who stomp out diversity. Or Twilight. Anything else is already heaven by comparison...

Houndour2005
February 28th, 2013, 03:45 AM
Hey another one from Denmark and Greenland too.

Anyway I thought it looked funny at first to live in the Pokemon World.

Moist
March 2nd, 2013, 01:59 AM
I wouldn't want to be in the resident evil movie world...

The world is already destroyed but Umbrella continuously tries to kill people...

Jessie
March 5th, 2013, 06:32 PM
I would hate to live in "The Walking Dead".

Zombies? Pssht.

Georgia heat without air conditioning? OMG KILL ME NOW.

Iqid Loopz
March 6th, 2013, 10:38 AM
It just depends. ex;

I wouldnt live in

Star Wars Universe during The Clone Wars and post after- War can just drop down on you at anytime, and the Jedi wiped out, and ruled by the Sith Lord...that's a no no.

Middle Earth during the fourth Age - Sounds pretty boring, comparing to the first through third age.

Left 4 Dead - Surviving in Zombie infested world sounds fun. But Running Zombies is a no no.

Lord Squirtle
March 7th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Metroid's universe. Despite Samus being so... agile and athletic, I doubt I have what it takes to be a bounty hunter. Plus if someone puts a bounty on my head or someone manages to resurrect Metroids...

But then, Hyrule could also be pretty dull or dangerous if I'm not the Hero of Time. Hard to pick. :/

Altairis
March 20th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Games of Thrones-land. I'd like to not die at a moment's notice in battle or die at a moment's notice from all the filth or die at a moment's notice from getting on the wrong side of a market seller or just die at any moment. I'd really like not to die, if you can't already tell.

This basically - it also seems like if you're not from an important, well known, family you're a useless piece of trash, and if you are from a well known, important family you're probably going to get killed someday regardless of who you really are.

Also, same with Magi: Labyrinth of Magic, I guess it would be alright if you lived in a nicer kingdom but also if you're not from an important family or have any money/fighting skills you're basically nothing.

Yukiyo Kayume
March 30th, 2013, 08:07 AM
anything with zombies, ghosts or aliens or any world without a powerful means to defend myself. (aka i wouldnt want to live anywhere where I'd have a high chance of dying lol)

Tetrakeet
March 30th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Any world that involves Earth or Earth type settings in general I'd not want to live in. My favorite settings are always not on Earth.

Renemesis
March 30th, 2013, 04:35 PM
the fictional reality of my ex-girlfriend's head would be pretty nice not to live in.

Rai
April 4th, 2013, 11:55 AM
This may seem obvious, I would want to live in the world of Pokemon. I would get to travel the world and meet all kinds of animals and creatures :D

Sabrewulf238
April 4th, 2013, 02:50 PM
This may seem obvious, I would want to live in the world of Pokemon. I would get to travel the world and meet all kinds of animals and creatures :D

This thread is about the worlds you wouldn't want to live in though.

For me I would say The Walking Dead is a huge one. Fun to watch but no thanks on the zombies being a reality front.

I also wouldn't like to live in a fictional reality aimed towards toddlers and very small children. (like tellitubies or Bob the Builder) I have good memories of watching these shows as a small kid don't get me wrong....but of course I would be driven insane if I had to live there now.

Rai
April 4th, 2013, 03:53 PM
This thread is about the worlds you wouldn't want to live in though.

For me I would say The Walking Dead is a huge one. Fun to watch but no thanks on the zombies being a reality front.

I also wouldn't like to live in a fictional reality aimed towards toddlers and very small children. (like tellitubies or Bob the Builder) I have good memories of watching these shows as a small kid don't get me wrong....but of course I would be driven insane if I had to live there now.

Lol oops! I read the title of the thread wrong.

In that case, I would not want to live in Middle Earth. I love Lord of The Rings, but there are so many horrible and dangerous creatures. I feel like you could be killed any minute.

The_Consumer
April 6th, 2013, 04:31 PM
I would not like to live in Das Leben Der Anderen

mew²
April 6th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Edit; lulz at me misreading the title.
Well in that case, I wouldn't want to live in Planet of the Apes. That's to cray for me.
Monkeys ruling the world? nty.