PDA

View Full Version : The Rise of Singers

Ace.
February 14th, 2013, 01:01 AM
Singers come from everywhere. Some start of from American Idol, Singing Contests, Youtube, and some just pop out of nowhere and instantly becomes famous. Artists that come from Singing Contests, Youtube, American Idol, etc have real singing voices. Unlike some singers who become famous cause of Auto tune. Which kind of artists do you like the best and Why? The ones that come from Youtube like Karmin? The Ones that come from American Idol like Kelly Clarkson, David Cook and Jordin Sparks or the ones that just start of from a record deal like Rihanna? Why do you like them better? Do you like their voices the best? Or do you just listen on how good the song is and don't care about their natural voices at all?

LORD ANTE
February 14th, 2013, 05:07 AM
I personally don't pick and choose between the origins of the artists. If their music is good, has a nice beat, or an appropriate lackthereof, then I'll listen to it, most likely disregarding the artist's background. I certainly wouldn't drop an artist I listen to nowadays if I learned that they had risen to fame out of some underground singing competition in Botswana or something like that, so why should I categorize them on how they attained their fame?

I wouldn't be the first to say I'm a fan of auto tune, and some in moderation is alright. For example, CL from 2NE1 usually sings raw, but there are certain songs where minimal auto tune is added to attribute to the electronic/techno feel of the song in question. Making small, hardly noticeable changes such as that appeal to my tastes since they don't ruin the feel of the artist or song all too much.

François
February 14th, 2013, 05:08 AM
I don't understand judging singers by their voices, it's something that's always baffled me in discussion. Of course if someone has a tone I enjoy I will be more inclined to like them than someone with an unpleasant one, but I really couldn't care less how they perform live. Mariah Carey may have an unmatched vocal range but I don't see how that makes her songs any more enjoyable than say those of Britney Spears, who is obviously notorious for having a weak voice.

Squirrel
February 14th, 2013, 10:07 AM
I respect solo artists a lot more if they're talented singers just because the talent is impressive, but I don't care about how good they are when it comes to buying their music. It's the end result which is important so if they have to auto-tune the hell out of it who really cares? It's just another form of art I guess haha. But when it comes to bands I do prefer them to be talented since I usually make a point to see most bands I like live and it'd be a shame for them to suck!

Esper
February 14th, 2013, 10:59 AM
I think I like singers who don't come from televised singing contests or youtube because I can't think of a single example of either that I listen to. Guess that leaves me with... record deal singers.

And, you know, that's a broad category so it's okay. I think I'd rather listen to people who start their own music and just work their way up like that. You know, the people who play small venues and then maybe get an album made and then maybe get some notoriety and so on. I'm not overly fond of the singers who are just singers (which is the impression I get from the youtube/contest crowd). I like ones who compose, play an instrument, and so on.

Guy
February 14th, 2013, 03:53 PM
When I first started hearing Carrie Underwood on the radio and getting into her music, I didn't even know she was from American Idol. Same with Kelly Clarkson and Jennifer Hudson. It wasn't until someone told me or I found out myself, where I was kind of shocked to know that they rose to stardom from a singing contest on television. So to me, whether they landed a record deal, got noticed from YouTube, or auditioned for a singing competition, it doesn't matter. It all boils down to whether or not I like their music and sometimes just their voice.

Do I have more respect for those who did it the hard way by writing their own music, playing at small venues, signing onto a record deal and slowly rising up to stardom? Sure, I do. I won't deny it's definitely a lot easier to reach fame through YouTube or a competition such as American Idol. However, I'm not going to let where a music artist started their career influence whether or not I like their music.