PDA

View Full Version : Flamingoes (The poll about poll names)

Crux
February 17th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Am I the only one who saw the notice about poll names?

So my question is- what affects how you name threads?
Do you try to be witty? Do you reference anything?
Are thread names what make you curious about what the topic is?
Should they? Do Did flamingos attract you?

Feel free to answer all or just one of these questions!
Spam and i'll mangle you… :D

⊗Slenderman⊗
February 17th, 2013, 06:17 PM
I try to name it as a hint to what the poll is about, but without it being too obvious. It's one of the most entertaining parts of creating a poll, in my opinion.

Yes, usually the title is what draws me to a poll. Though I'll probably view the poll at some point no matter what the title is, short of a few exceptions. x;

I love how you put that happy face after threatening to mangle people.

Evil Stud Muffin
February 17th, 2013, 06:30 PM
I try to be edgy and cool, and blatantly obvious about it, just so people can roll their eyes at me.

Sodom
February 18th, 2013, 03:11 AM
I use the question I want to ask as my thread title, because I prefer people know what question they're answering without having to go into the thread to find out :P

shenanigans
February 18th, 2013, 03:16 AM
Ahaha, you have nooooo idea how much nagging it too for me to finally get Andy to update the header with that. d:

Anyway - I used to use weird, witty, referencing, whatever thread titles. Then I kinda found out that they were... pretty annoying. I don't like having to hover over or open a thread to see what's in it. That's a waste of time and it's also impossibly annoying when I'm trying to find out if the thread I want exists already. I'm at a stage now where if a thread has some sort of weird title which gives absolutely no information regarding what's inside it, I won't bother clicking it. Although that's just me being needlessly stubborn. In any case - I feel a thread's title should summarise the content of the thread and if it doesn't, it's not a good title and an instantly awkward thread.

curiousnathan
February 18th, 2013, 03:25 AM
Sometimes I like to keep my thread titles direct, other times I like to add a little mystery to them.

Talli
February 18th, 2013, 05:02 AM
usually it depends on my mood at the time of post that thread is what I'd name it.

LilJz
February 18th, 2013, 05:49 AM
Sometimes I try to give some reference to other stuffs while keeping the main title of the topic :P

Starry Windy
February 18th, 2013, 06:36 AM
Sometimes I put some reference, and sometimes I'm making my thread name awkward for humorous purposes (but still acceptable for a thread name).

Cordelia
February 18th, 2013, 09:28 AM
I hardly ever make threads, but when I do you'll know exactly what it is about by the thread title. I'm not a fan of witty thread names or anything like that. I want to get straight to the point.

Caelus
February 18th, 2013, 10:51 AM
I don't like having to hover over a thread just to know what it's really about, so I just keep my thread titles direct and to the point.

Sweets Witch
February 18th, 2013, 12:20 PM
I try to shoot for something related to the topic but not blatantly saying it because then there's no point in actually posting. If I were to title a thread about favorite colors with "What's your favorite color?" then it'd be difficult for me to actually write a prompt without saying "As the title says" or repeating myself.

Dakota
February 18th, 2013, 06:02 PM
I used to try to be really witty when it came to thread titles, but lately, I've been a lot more direct with them. I'm a lazy person.

Brynjolf
February 18th, 2013, 07:06 PM
I at least name stuff SOMEWHAT relevant to the actual thread. Like if I posted this thread there is no way I would have named it flamingoes. I would have named it "Thread Names" or somethin.

White Mage
February 18th, 2013, 08:08 PM
I don't make threads, but if I did, it'd be obvious enough to tell generally what the thread was about.
Although, witty and clever thread names DO get my attention.

For example, a thread in this forum, "I'm Dying! Oh, Lord, Help Me!" is about hair dying. Catches your attention, but the title makes you think the thread is about some other topic than what it's really about.

Kura
February 20th, 2013, 01:15 PM
My thread titles are usually to the point so people know what they're clicking. And I clicked this thread because I hovered over it and read part of the description ;3