PDA

View Full Version : Driving

Cordelia
February 19th, 2013, 12:25 PM
What kind of driver are you? Are you safe? Are you defensive or aggressive? Do you speed? If you do, do you speed a little bit or a lot?

Use this thread to talk about all the little random habits you have while driving as well. :3

Sweets Witch
February 19th, 2013, 02:29 PM
When I learned, I was taught to think that everybody else on the road is an idiot and should be treated as such. It's worked so far. I drive pretty defensively and allow room for mistakes just in case people turn out to be idiots.

Story time.

One time I was driving to the store and this old lady was driving in front of me. We were in the left lane of a two-lane road. She veered into the left turn lane for a minor road and slowed down so that she could make the turn. As I was passing her, she decided that she didn't want to turn anymore and tried to merge while I was right beside her. I swerved into the next lane to avoid her and luckily nobody was there, but I was beyond upset. We pulled up to the light side-by-side and I rolled my window down and let the expletives roll. Holy crap, I was coming up with some creative stuff. I was combining words never before combined and turning them into swears. As I was in the middle of yelling, the passenger seat in her car came back up and there was this little kid sitting in it. He must have been like seven. He just stared at me and I stopped talking, then I yelled "HEY LADY" and she looked and I flipped her the bird and kept it soaring for the remainder of the red light.

Also once this dude made an illegal turn and my legal turn cut him off so he was extremely upset to the point where he got out of his car at the SAME INTERSECTION AS BEFORE and started pounding on my hood while yelling at me. Funny thing was there was a cop sitting where he made his illegal turn and the cop gave him a ticket and sent me on my way. I'm only telling this story because the dude looked like Nic Cage in Con-Air but with a neckbeard.

Somniac
February 19th, 2013, 03:02 PM
When I learned, I was taught to think that everybody else on the road is an idiot and should be treated as such. It's worked so far. I drive pretty defensively and allow room for mistakes just in case people turn out to be idiots.

I was basically taught the same as this.

I'm in a largely rural area of the U.K. for you foreign chaps that means most roads are very minor back-roads or the occasional main-road.
On the whole I drive quite reservedly, I'm a pretty good driver, well I passed with 0 minors on my first attempt anyway.

I rarely speed cause where I live the only roads are very windy back-roads, save a few.

However, when I'm on my bike I tend to speed a lot, only on roads I know very well or long straights, I know I shouldn't but the adrenaline is always great, 80mph on a bike feels like 130mph in a car, yet somehow feels safer and slow-mo. It's an odd experience to describe unless you've actually ridden. That and leaning into a corner is enjoyable too

Driving is just something I do to get to places, where as riding my bike is a joy.

Gyardosamped
February 19th, 2013, 03:24 PM
I'd say I'm a pretty safe driver and also a defensive one at that.

I try my best not to get distracted and am always on the alert for anything out of the ordinary happening around me. I've also been taught to think that all the drivers around me are careless, and in my case, this is actually the reality where I live.

As for speeding, I would say that I don't speed and am always mindful of the speed I'm going. I try not to go 10+ mph above the speed limit. For example, if I'm driving on a road which has a speed limit of 40 mph, I won't go past 50 mph.

Brynjolf
February 19th, 2013, 04:01 PM
I actually don't drive. If I did, I'd be patient though. I would lose focus a lot despise the patience.

I think that I am only patient because I lose track of what I'm doing a lot and I tend to entertain myself in traffic (when the parents are driving).

Otter Mii-kun
February 19th, 2013, 05:54 PM
I try to be as defensive and safe as possible in my driving, however I do get impatient sometimes, particularly if I'm following a slowpoke for a long distance. Sometimes, I do a bit over the speed limit, usually without even realizing it.
One particularly bad habit of mine is slowing down at green lights, always thinking they're going to change to yellow then red by the time I get to the intersection itself.

Poke Fox
February 19th, 2013, 07:07 PM
I am one of the most patient drivers in the world, I always follow the laws of the road (even when I'm running late). I don't mind waiting behind the bus when cars are the other lane. I don't speed unless I need to pass another car (I only do it when its safe to do so).

My uncle gets annoyed when I drive, he says I drive too slow. My uncle is one of those aggressive fast drivers. I"m comfortable the way I drive

ShinyUmbreon189
February 19th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Safe driver but not as in driving 5 under and driving like a have multi million dollar car. I'd say I'm "aware" of my surroundings. In my area, I have hardcore issues, there are some idiots on the road I tell you what. DUDE THERE'S A TURNING LANE FOR A REASON! You don't just STOP in the middle of the lane to turn left, YOU GET IN THE LEFT LANE!! That's a BIG issue up here, it's pretty ridiculous. Also hate when people go 10 under the speed limit, so in other words I speed lol. I mean, who don't speed on the interstate in the Chicago area. There's a cop up ahead, guess what happens? It looks like a Christmas light festival lol, seriously everyone goes 90. If you ain't going 90 your gettin run over, it's pretty bad up here.

Somniac
February 19th, 2013, 08:08 PM
There are some idiots on the road I tell you what.

Heh, tell me about it; I drive safely, and considerately all the time.

I also road rage like a MFer, and often yell at people. It's worse when you ride a bike, people just refuse to notice you half the time, in cities/towns you've basically got to pay more attention to the other cars than you do to yourself on the bike. I swear I've almost been taken out by idiots who don't indicate when they turn/pull out SO many times. Never actually been hit though, which is lucky I guess.

It doesn't help that my bike was 3x the price of my car, so I'm even more worried about some fool clipping me and having it slide 30 feet down the road on it's beautiful paintwork. :'[

Edit: It's all worth it though. You know when youre stuck in a traffic jam and some ass on a motorbike speeds past you?
I'm that ass.

I laugh at you all.
Every damn time.

Caelus
February 19th, 2013, 09:32 PM
I'm a little of everything, but I tend to be more on the fast and aggressive side (I've toned down recently though). Normally it depends on my mood, the amount of traffic, and if I'm in a hurry or not.

Alice
February 19th, 2013, 09:42 PM
Still technically don't have a license, but I'm far too careful honestly.

My mom constantly complains about me going too slow, even though I'm still supposedly learning. lol

Kura
February 21st, 2013, 05:40 AM
I think I'm a pretty safe driver. >_> My dad I feel drives too close to cars on the highway, though the worst my mom does is that she doesn't like to slow down much for speed-humps; and she'll tend to do a rolling stop sometimes. It's kinda annoying and I always tell her when she does it >_>

SoulSilver10112
February 21st, 2013, 06:39 AM
I am a new driver, so I usually go way under the speed limit, being ready to stop at any time.

Esper
February 21st, 2013, 10:15 AM
I don't really drive much, but I've been told that I'm a pretty aggressive driver. I dunno. Driving isn't enjoyable to be. I don't mind being in a car, but when you're behind the wheel you notice how long everything takes and I loose patience at stop lights and so on and just want to get to where I'm going and get it done with so that's probably where my aggression comes from.

♣Gawain♣
February 21st, 2013, 06:54 PM
Better safe than sorry. I would only go "reckless" if I'm driving in a long stretch of road.

Katamari
February 21st, 2013, 07:08 PM
Honestly and really unfortunately, my driving depends on my mood as well as the other drivers around me. Usually I'm patient, I don't mind slowing significantly behind someone on a main road turning onto a side road, where people will hit the gas and swerve in the next lane to get around us, way too reckless for me.

However if I'm in a bad mood (which is usually caused by other bad drivers like tailgaters, excessive speeders, people wanting to race or get ahead of me, etc.) then I'll drive faster and more aggressively.

Recently when I was driving home late from my night class, this super obnoxious jerk in a pickup truck (why is it always the pickup truck drivers?) in the lane next to me kept slamming on the gas trying to get ahead of me, when there was a guy in front of him driving diagonal from me, as in no room, as in he wanted me to drop the speed and the guy in front of him to speed up so he could get ahead of me. I just sped up at an even pace to keep the gap closed between me and the guy ahead of him without letting him over lololol. If he really needed to be in my lane, I don't see why he couldn't drop his speed to get behind me because there was literally nobody behind us, he was just being a jackass because he wanted to be in front. Some people.

Hydro Pumper
February 23rd, 2013, 02:04 AM
I've been told I hold a good position in the lane whilst driving which I say is probably inspired from playing Mario Kart throughout my life haha. :P I try to remain as patient as I can, particularly on the freeways with all the merging that happens and how some people feel letting one car in front of them will severely impact on their tardiness for where they're going. :/

I need music to play in the background while I drive too, since it keeps me calm and thus helps to make suitable judgements. :3

Shining Raichu
February 27th, 2013, 10:53 PM
I'm a safe speeder. I speed around the roads I know like the back of my hand, or if there's a really long straight stretch with clear vision. Everybody feels safe in my car, and I generally drive even safer if I have other people in my car because I don't want them to have to pay for my mistakes with their lives or with their able-bodiedness.

I suck really bad at parking though lmao.

Moogles
March 1st, 2013, 06:48 PM
I'm a really angry driver actually. Which just means I tend to get mad at other people on the road. I'm pretty defensive because I can't trust other people to act in the way I'd like them to haha. I go about 10 over but I always keep alert so /shrug

Mr Cat Dog
March 4th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Oooh, I like the term 'safe speeder'. For the most part, and especially in built up and/or residential areas, I'm a very safe and cautious driver. When the speed limit's under 50mph, I'll never go above it; I'll always slow down instead of speed up when it comes to traffic lights; little children have absolutely no cause for concern when I'm on the road as there's no danger of me running them over. When I get onto a motorway though, all bets are off, 70mph is less a limit and more a target and it's very rare that I'm not speeding. But, then again, everyone else is behaving exactly like me in that respect. I'm still cautious when it comes to heavy traffic on motorways, but if the roads are clear, I'll speed away into the horizon.