PDA

View Full Version : Roomies!

Guy
February 19th, 2013, 04:08 PM
We as humans like to be comfortable in our own space. We like things to be done in a certain way, kept a certain way, or put in a certain place. Some of us are more lenient towards this while others are very particular about it.

However, when it comes to sharing a living space with someone, whether it be your bedroom, a dorm, an apartment or anything similar, things tend to become more complicated. Whereas you grew up living a certain way, your roommate might have grown up differently. Your feeling of comfort now becomes a relationship of give-and-take.

So when it comes to living with someone, what sort of rules do you share between your roommate(s) so he/she/they don't do something you prefer they not do as to make you uncomfortable? If you're currently lucky enough to have your own room or your own place, then what kind of rules would you have should you ever have a roommate one day?

Edit: Or do you just not care? Let's walk around in our underwear. No big deal.

Sableye~
February 19th, 2013, 04:29 PM
I'm not very social, and the only person I could deal with living with would probably be my best friend. x: I don't think we'd need rules, though. I just would need to be left alone at least sometimes, otherwise I would go insane.

JayD
February 19th, 2013, 04:45 PM
I wouldn't mind sharing an apartment or anything like it with one of my close friends. Although I WILL need some of my personal space you know.. like a space where it's prohibited for him to go looking through unless I let him. But besides that, it would be really awesome.

Sammi
February 19th, 2013, 05:06 PM
My roommate and I don't really care about boundaries or anything. We've been living with each other for so long that we've got bills and such arranged and it's agreed that I clean everything when I get around to it (we're both slobs). The biggest thing is if my door is closed, I don't want to be bothered, and the same for him and his door.

Sweets Witch
February 19th, 2013, 06:17 PM
At times I feel like I could go for a roommate, but then I remember that I have become far too dominant in my own space so sharing would be difficult. Basically my rules would boil down to "If it's mine, don't touch it" and that'd include the fridge, shower, living room - pretty much everything because I don't want people touching my stuff. A few friends have had some pretty bad roommates so their experiences have shaken my faith.

Cordelia
February 19th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Oh man, I actually got on OK with all of my roommates in college. First year, me and my roommate had the same friends but I wouldn't really say that we were really friends. It worked out great that way too. There were times when we'd get annoyed that the dishes weren't done but that was about it.

Brynjolf
February 19th, 2013, 07:39 PM
I just expect them to do their fair share of the cleaning chores and to keep their stuff neat. I don't care if their stuff is on my dresser/shelf whatever. As long as it's not thrown about everywhere.

I had to share a bedroom with my brother for quite some time, and he is THE MESSIEST damn thing on earth. I cleaned EVERYTHING of his. He'd throw things everywhere on the floor and not put his dirty clothes in the hamper, left his underwear on the floor.. I cleaned it all and put them in his drawers and folded everything.. Just ugh.

All I want is you to keep your things neat!

I just expect them to do their fair share of the cleaning chores and to keep their stuff neat. I don't care if their stuff is on my dresser/shelf whatever. As long as it's not thrown about everywhere.

I had to share a bedroom with my brother for quite some time, and he is THE MESSIEST damn thing on earth. I cleaned EVERYTHING of his. He'd throw things everywhere on the floor and not put his dirty clothes in the hamper, left his underwear on the floor.. I cleaned it all and put them in his drawers and folded everything.. Just ugh.

All I want is you to keep your things neat!

Crux
February 19th, 2013, 09:49 PM
I've been in some pretty cramped situations before, and somehow lived through it, so I wouldn't be as worried about it. However, either you wear pants or I will unleash my fury. (Ladies on the other hand... :})
No, as far as i'm concerned just share the chores, respect the golden rules, and give me some space every now and again and it'll work out beautifully.

Talli
February 20th, 2013, 11:17 AM
I do not mind really share an house/apartment but I my room is off limits to them unless I invited them in.

-C Talli 2013-

Kura
February 21st, 2013, 05:36 AM
I'll never live with someone again. Many of them are really disrespectful with rules I try to set in place. Rules that are even lenient like "If your friend is gonna be over, could you quiet down at 12/1AMish because I have class at 8 in the morning."
Nope.
The dorms we had at school didnt have locks on the door and that made me REALLY weary. I'd never go into someone else's room but I can't say the same for them.

>_> So no. Having a roommate stresses me out so hardcore it's not even funny. Saving on rent isn't worth my mental health.

Hikamaru
February 21st, 2013, 05:43 AM
I'd never share a room with anyone, given how anti-social I am and when my brother's friend is around he embarrasses me to heck. I basically put my room off-limits to any weirdos like him. People I do not trust in my room.

I don't even want people to know I'm on PC, especially cos my brother and his friend are Anti-Pokemon.

Synerjee
February 21st, 2013, 06:03 AM
I've had two room mates in my life. The first one was alright. We've had some minor misunderstandings, but we've managed to sort that out and things have been alright since then. Then there was my second room mate who moved in after the first had left. The both of us got off really well, not counting another small misunderstanding about an issue with my table lamp which was apparently disturbing her sleep at night (She slept pretty early and I'm a night owl xD), but yeah, we've compromised and things worked out.

So, rules? Basically, don't touch my stuff and make a mess around the living quarters and make sure to do your required chores and make sure the place is clean, and I'll be happy.

Esper
February 21st, 2013, 10:23 AM
For me the rules are and have always been "you take care of your own mess" and "ask beforehand." Everyone gets their space - their side of the room, their drawer in the bathroom - but you don't let your stuff creep into someone else's territory and you clean up anything you do in communal space like the kitchen. Don't touch anything that isn't communal. If you want to use the TV or play music of have people over you ask. Really, you don't even need to ask, just say "I'm gonna have people over" and that's all I need to hear.

It works well if you're with responsible people, which I wasn't always with. Sigh. Some people don't really understand boundaries.

Arma
February 21st, 2013, 12:23 PM
Well, I still live with my parents, but I gotta share a room with my sister.

I wouldn't mind sharing a room with anyone though, as I'm fairly laid back. If I ever get a roommate, I hope can get along with them, I can imagine things getting pretty awkward if we didn't. I'd probably go insane if there was like a continuous awkward silence.

I prefer people who are open minded when it comes down to food. I like to cook, and I certainly wouldn't mind having meals with them. It really annoys me when people refuse to eat something because they don't know how it tastes.

In terms of rules, just clean up after your mess. And replace the damn toilet paper roll.XD

Shining Raichu
February 27th, 2013, 10:34 PM
I'm about to move out with two other guys and there's not really anything they can do that I'd be uncomfortable with. We've all seen each other in our underwear anyway, so whatever :P