PDA

View Full Version : Tough it out

Brynjolf
February 21st, 2013, 04:03 PM
Are you one to quit after bruising your arm? Are you one to whine on a hike when you bruised your toe?

Or..

Are you the one who scrapes both knees, gets cuts and bruises, but powers through? Are you the one who runs until he's exhausted, but then keeps going?

Basically, do you tough things out, or do you quit and avoid further injury/boredom/hurt feelings/conflict/whatever your story relates to.

Sharrky
February 21st, 2013, 05:25 PM
I can take a fair view hits and bruises, but i can't take anything below the ankles for some odd reason.

Sableye~
February 21st, 2013, 05:34 PM
Physically, I'm able to handle quite a lot of pain and still function (I have tested my pain tolerance before). I'm too stubborn to give up because of an injury, which I know is stupid, but I don't like giving in because of something like pain.

Sweets Witch
February 21st, 2013, 05:38 PM
I can take a lot of pain, but I stop when there's blood. Bruises, sure. Dislocations, alright. Cuts? Nope, I'm out.

JayD
February 21st, 2013, 05:43 PM
I always keep going no matter how hurt I am. I only quit when I'm about to lose a body part lmao :)

Blade_of_darkness
February 21st, 2013, 05:51 PM
Most of the time, I'll stop once a certain amount of time has passed since I first started, but outside of that, the only other conditions in which I'll call it quits is if I'm completely winded, or if I see the potential risk of receiving a fracture of any kind.

Jupiter
February 21st, 2013, 06:04 PM
Pffft, if I'm injured, I'm pretty much done. I complain about even the slightest little bruise or splinter.
Basically, I try my hardest NOT to get injured in the first place. I'm terribly cautious about things like that.

But yeah, I'm not one to tough things out very often. I usually quit and avoid any further injury. :P

Crux
February 21st, 2013, 07:08 PM
I usually just tough it out as you as say.
When it comes to pain I can take quite a lot without breaking a sweat.

Sammi
February 21st, 2013, 07:09 PM
I've got decent pain tolerance. The smallest of scratches isn't going to break me down. I tend to whine a lot, but I'll get through the day in the end. Just with lots of complaining. :p

Caelus
February 21st, 2013, 09:00 PM
I try and not say a word about it unless it's bad, but once it starts to become a problem I only tell people close to me. Once its bad enough to where I can't hide it, then depending on the severity I either persevere or I stop to let it heal and resume when I'm healthy.

I would say I have a pretty good pain tolerance, especially compared to how it was in the past.

Brynjolf
February 21st, 2013, 09:04 PM
I posted this thread because earlier today I was jogging up some wooden stairs at our school and one of my feet was dragging and caught on a stair and I scraped the same knee that I had already scraped a couple days ago. I just kept excersizing though, not a big deal even though it hurt.

The neosporin I just applied hurts more than the initial injury. o_o

Kura
February 22nd, 2013, 12:45 PM
I'm usually not a quitter; though it's situation specific. If I need to, I will reluctantly ask for help before contemplating giving up.

KriegStein
February 22nd, 2013, 12:53 PM
If im injured i dont either notice it or i just try to brush it off. Once I sprained (is that a word) my ancle and well..i just walked with it.. I only noticed something was wrong when it began to bulge. My pain tolerance...well I dont know actualy ok I guess? And I might continue things even though I would be hurt. For other things like school work and other things like that im just too lazy to continue on. For human relationships and mental health my limits are quite endless. Eventhough my life turns out ****** I can always push onward. And while im at it try to help others around me.

Honest
February 22nd, 2013, 04:46 PM
I'm an endurance freak, I guess. Mentally and physically, I can take a lot of crap and still move on.

♣Gawain♣
February 22nd, 2013, 06:39 PM
I can endure emotional pain, but so much if it's physical. My pain tolerance is somewhat medium.

Osiris
February 22nd, 2013, 11:31 PM
If ever I've gotten hurt when doing something, I just try to grit my teeth and get through it.

One example I can remember was when I was playing floor hockey in PE, and I was the goalie. Only about 5 minutes after we started playing, someone shot the ball right at my... uh, "special area." I was in pretty bad pain, but kept playing for another 55 minutes, only to get a gash on my arm from someone swiping their stick at me (still have the scar from it). All in all, I was more disappointed about letting in the game winning goal then I was about blood dripping down my arm.

Alli
February 22nd, 2013, 11:38 PM
I can take some scrapes and scratches, though I might take it a bit easier than if I didn't have them. I pulled the muscles in my arms right before band camp and had to go half of the first week of it unable to play my horn, and I probably picked it back up a little too soon, but I really couldn't stand not being able to play and looking like an ass marching with my invisible saxophone. :P

Emotional pain I don't handle very well at all and I tend to shut everything out, so yeah, that's something I don't tough out well. Been through enough to be better at it though.

Talli
February 23rd, 2013, 06:07 AM
I can take small cuts but anything else I am out for the count.

Cordelia
February 23rd, 2013, 07:11 AM
I do my best to tough it out, but sometimes it's just too much and you have to stop. You have to way the pros and cons of the situation each time it occurs. It's not worth it to get hurt more if it's not that important.

PlatinumDude
February 23rd, 2013, 09:34 AM
When I hurt myself, I try to shrug off the pain, but I stop when I can't.

Magic Christmas Lights
February 24th, 2013, 02:28 PM
I'm a huge wuss and I quit pretty much everything that's physically demanding. In my defense, I have some health problems that make being too active feel really unpleasant.

ThaTruth
February 24th, 2013, 03:51 PM
If I'm passionate about what I'm doing (Ex. Basketball) there's no way in a thousand years I'm going to stop what I need to do. If I'm not passionate about it, then it depends on how demanding it is. If I don't like it, I'll find an excuse to stop d:

Shiny Celebi
February 24th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Most injuries are so minor I just keep continuing what Im doing. A small bruise or scratch is nothing really.

Noah Ridgewood
March 1st, 2013, 10:24 PM
Usually if something happens to me, my reaction after my immediate reaction is anger so I won't give up on whatever it was I was doing. I'd get mad at it or at myself for letting it happen or it doing something to me and just try harder. But that is fueled by my anger, so...

Shining Raichu
March 7th, 2013, 04:54 AM
I give up really easy when it comes to physical tasks. There aren't any that are worth the pain of a bruise or a scrape lol. If any of that happens I'm quite happy to just call the whole thing off and go play video games or come and talk to you fine people.

On emotional matters, I tough it out long after the point where it's healthy.

Correspondence
March 7th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Usually I can stand pain and just carry on with what I was doing.

Cosmotone8
March 8th, 2013, 05:18 AM
If its something like bruises or minor cuts, then nope, I won't quit. Even if I'm extremely tired (this happened to me in a 5hr long tennis match ;-_-) I'll keep playing to the point where I can't even function anymore, messing up everything I try to do.