View Full Version : Are you a synesthete?

February 28th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Synesthesia is a neurological condition where people's sensory or cognitive experiences is automatically, and involuntarily linked to a secondary sensory experience. It is when perceiving something triggers a reaction from another sense that would normally not be related to the other.

Some well-known common examples of synesthesia include grapheme-colour synesthesia when characters and/or numbers are perceived as colours by synesthetes. Other examples include ordinal linguistic personification, in which numbers, days of the week, seasons, months, etc. evoke personalities. Some synesthetes might even taste phonemes, which is known as lexical-gustatory synesthesia.

I myself have grapheme-colour synesthesia. I perceive most numbers as though they have a colour. My synesthesia isn't particularly intense, and for a long time, I hadn't really thought about it until I found a video about it on numberphile (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNy23tJMTzQ). Now that I've come to think about it, there have always been some numbers that I associated with specific colours. Some numbers were very strongly linked to a colour. A 9, to me, is very clearly purple. Some other numbers seem very vague in colour. 4 appears sort of greenish to me. The colour I assign to numbers is often dependent on where in the multiplication tables they appear, though I've heard of some people where larger numbers take on the colours of their prime factors. To map the digits for you. 0 is white, 1 is black, 2 is red, 3 is blue, 4 is green, 5 is orange, 6 is brown, 7 is yellow, 8 is maroon, and 9 is purple.

I've never been very aware of it, but now that I think of it, I do remember that when I was learning my multiplication tables, I felt 9 was very purple to me. Most numbers that were part of the multiples of 9, like 18, 27, 81, and many more, took over these purple traits, and even though technically, they're also multiples of 3, the 9 sort of overrides them. Likewise, 40 is maroon to me, even if it could also be red, or green, or orange. I think it did help me learn my multiplication tables a lot better. Of course, primes are an entirely separate case, and usually each of the digits become the colour that they individually represent.

Now, my question to you, Pokécommunity, is do you have any form or forms of synesthesia? And if so, please talk about it. Whether you find it to be helpful, or annoying in your everyday life, and how it affects the way you see the world.

February 28th, 2013, 1:27 PM
Ummm when I look at certain colors I can taste things, if that counts. For example, I can taste Sunny D when I look at smod usernames. lol :( It happens with certain greens too where I can taste apple or celery. I can't think of other examples with taste atm though.

Edit: I'm sure this is way off, but ever since I was a kid, I associated emotions and certain characteristics with certain colors as well. I also felt that you could speak to your emotions as well lol

edit: i taste a certain flavor of smoothie when i see the word "cilan" omg :(

February 28th, 2013, 6:41 PM
I do, along with several family members. I don't really care that much, though. It's just something interesting to think about, to me.

February 28th, 2013, 6:50 PM
I have that with musical notes.

Like the strings on guitar. E is red, A is orange, G is green, B is yellow, ect.

The color white always reminds me of the smell of either sawdust or orange tree flowers. :\ Stuff like that.