View Full Version : How do you Playthrough Each New Video Game?

Miss Doronjo
March 21st, 2013, 9:55 AM
What I mean from the title is, let's say that you've just purchased a brand new video game that you have never played before.

Would you prefer that new game blindly, or, at some point, would you rely on a guide for some help on a part that you might get stuck on? On that note, do you consider using guides in games "cheating", or just a way of assistance? Or does it simply depend on the game itself? If you have other thoughts you'd like to share, feel free to!

March 21st, 2013, 12:19 PM
If it's my first time playing, I like doing it Blind. That way when everything unfolds it's a surprise to me, and keeps me playing.

In later playthroughs, I'd do some fun stuff though, like in Persona 4 Golden doing an Only Izanagi run.

March 21st, 2013, 1:14 PM
Blind. Just me and the video game. If I get stuck in a game for a while and I want to keep playing, I might look at a guide. Relying on guides or walkthrough make the playthrough much less entertaining for me.

Princess Sandshrew
March 21st, 2013, 2:42 PM
I will start blind and continue this way unless I get really stuck and need a a hint in the right direction.
I also use guides to help me remember where I am in the game after taking a long break from play, this is pretty much exclusive to RPGs for me, otherwise I would rather replay the game than continue having forgotten what has happened previously.

After the first playthrough I will use a guide to help collect all the optional/collectible things that I missed the first time around.

Sweets Witch
March 21st, 2013, 3:18 PM
Blind the first time, but after that I reserve the right to use any guide I want because I'm not wasting a ton of time trying to figure out where collectibles are. That's how I play through visual novels. The first time I just see which ending I get naturally, but after that I skip all read text and use guides to get 100%.

Ephemeral Euphoria
March 21st, 2013, 4:03 PM
Blind first time, higher difficulty the second. Just to make things fun.

March 21st, 2013, 8:07 PM
I've always gone through games blind the first time around, just since I feel that using a guide lessens the satisfaction of completing a game. After I've completed the main story or am playing through again, I ocassionally will look up hints/guides, especially if I'm trying to get a bunch of trophies/achievements.

March 21st, 2013, 10:22 PM
Unless I'm really stuck at a particular point, I'll do blind runs first. If I really like the game, I'll go back and play it again with a guide in order to get 100%. I play a lot of JRPGs and they're notorious for having tons of easily missed items or sidequests as you progress. Especially the Tales games, you need a guide open at all times if you intend to get anywhere near completion.

If I'm not worried about spoilers and I'm enjoying the game and want a fuller experience, I'll loosely play with a guide on my first time. It's usually for games where I want to do some extra stuff but I know I won't have the time/drive to play again for completion. And if I'm really not enjoying a game but still want to finish it, I'll play with a guide to get through it ASAP.

March 22nd, 2013, 2:38 AM
I would always go through the game first time blind except if I needed help at a tricky part of the game. If I get stuck I'll go to Gamefaqs for a guide of that game. After the first playthrough I'll add some challages of my own to make the game fun again.

Miss Doronjo
March 24th, 2013, 6:21 AM
As for myself, I'd preferably play each new video game I buy blind, and I'd prefer to solve each puzzle I see, no matter how hard it is. A few exceptions on me using guides is when I'd usually get stumped, like in a few legend of Zelda games, like, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, where I have absolutely no idea on where to go sometimes, and sometimes, things can get a little cryptic, like, knowing when to activate the Harp of Currents, etc.

March 24th, 2013, 4:06 PM
Very first time playing it? Just... play it.

If it's something that I can't just return to after the credits to complete, and I know that before hand, then I'll turn to the Internet for a checklist. I did this with the Mass Effects. Just to know when a side-quest is available to me. Not how to do it or how to get it. That way I don't miss it and have to replay the entire game for it.

If I can return to the overworld or whatever after the credits and explore, then I don't care. Just have plain old blind run-through for the first time.

Captain Fabio
March 26th, 2013, 7:22 AM
As blind as possible.

I don't like spoilers or guides; I prefer to find it out my own way and tackle it blind. The only time I use guides, is if I am grinding or anything that requires anything like that.