PDA

View Full Version : What Sorts of Genres of Video Games are you Best at?

Miss Doronjo
March 22nd, 2013, 10:08 AM
As the title suggests, are there genres of games (ie. racing, first person shooter, fighting, puzzle, etc.) are you especially good at? As a result, what sorts of video games are you good at that fits in those genres?

For example, I find myself more best at turn-based RPG games like Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy, etc. I'm also pretty good at games that incorporate a bit of puzzle solving like the Legend of Zelda series games.

By the way, if you're wondering about all of the genres, you can take a look at the list of the genres of video games here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Video_game_genres).

Ephemeral Euphoria
March 22nd, 2013, 10:10 AM
Simple, shooters and rpgs of most if not all kinds are what define me nowadays but I'm no stranger to the occasional rts every now and then.

Spinosaurus
March 22nd, 2013, 10:25 AM
Fighting games, rhythm games, puzzles and especially platformers (and puzzle platformers! like Wario Land and Donkey Kong 94) are what I'm best at. Hence, they're my favorite genres. I have no problem playing the likes of Super Mario Bros, Rhythm Heaven, Street Fighter, etc. I'm also pretty good at adventure games, kart racers and arcade racers. Everything else I'm at least decent with.

I do hate RPGs and the likes of it though, especially JRPGs and MMORPGs. It's not that I suck at them, not at all, but I really don't like them. I'm OK with SRPGs though like Fire Emblem.

Muani
March 22nd, 2013, 10:58 AM
My favorite genre is "bullet hell/curtain" Danmaku games.

Extremely fun.. and I am good.

http://lightprince.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/touhou08reisen.png

Other favorite is JRPG and MMORPG. Fighter and platformer.

KriegStein
March 22nd, 2013, 11:19 AM
Fighting Games. (2D and 3D)
oh god the list here is long... But mainly Guilty Gear, Soul Calibur and Tekken. These are the ones I play the most. (also M.U.G.E.N. Is worth mentioning)
Puzzle games. (at times)
cant realy name one. They are not that memorable but Im pretty good at them.
2D action
Castlevania, metroid, megaman, Contra series.
3D action (also hack and slash)
DMC, MGS, Devil Kings (Sengoku Basara)
Etc.

Arcturus.
March 22nd, 2013, 11:21 AM
I would have to say that I'm best at FPS games, although I do enjoy playing RPG and RTS games as well.

Talli
March 22nd, 2013, 11:38 AM
most of the time it is Anventure games or RPGs. Sometimes it is Puzzle games.

Demon Days
March 22nd, 2013, 12:34 PM
RPGs and the 'unique' FPSes. Basically, not something like CoD (which I hate), more things like TF2.

Sweets Witch
March 22nd, 2013, 03:55 PM
Rhythm games. I'm slowly getting better and better at them and I enjoy them a lot.

Cassino
March 27th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Whatever, specifically, Monster Hunter is; 'action adventure' could mean anything.
Also good at FPSs, whatever their style. I only really enjoy Tribes Ascend these days though.
I could be good at RTS games (including MOBAs) and probably was at a point, but their communities are too competitive.

extremegunner
March 27th, 2013, 06:23 PM
I think being somewhat decent in Monster Hunter is worth mentioning. I'm generally okay with most action games(Dark Souls, Chaos Legion, DMC3/4, Bayo etc.), but I'm not a super twitcher that can keep up an SSS streak in Dante Must Die mode and not die.

I really don't see getting good in a turn base RPG as something worth boasting about.

Mr Cat Dog
March 29th, 2013, 03:47 AM
I'm not very good at many video games, as I often require a strategy guide (or a quick ol' look at GameFAQs) in order to complete even the simplest games. But I have quite a good knack for platformers - both the old school 8-bit varities and the more modern ones. I don't play an awful lot of them, but I normally tend to come unstuck a lot less than if I were to play an RPG or puzzle game or the like.

Playful_Weasel
March 29th, 2013, 02:39 PM
I'm only good at whatever genre of game Pokemon is, with all other games I'm loosing interest in playing them.

Keiran
March 29th, 2013, 08:10 PM
I'm pretty much good at anything except racing, fighting, and most FPS games. Like I'm pretty bad at Smash Bros, and the only FPS I was decent at was Modern Warfare 2, and I've sucked at every racing game post-Mario Kart 64. Though I'm freaking awesome at Star Fox/SF 64, that's probably the only shooting related game I'm great at.

I normally excel at RPGs, puzzle games, strategy games, and platformers. Probably because they're the only ones I'm typically ever interested in playing.

Team Fail
March 29th, 2013, 10:31 PM
I really like RPG games, but I also enjoy open world games from time to time as well. I'm not too bad at puzzle games either.

Oh and toss platformers on that list too.

Jamais
March 29th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Easily topping the list for me is sports games. Even if it's one that I haven't played before, I can generally pick it up, and within an hour of practice, I can easily hang with other players online.

Much further down the line would be fighting games, but those that are more simulation style like boxing/wrestling/MMA games, and less so those like Tekken and Street Fighter. I also seem to have a knack for racing games, even if I don't play them all that often.

Hikamaru
March 29th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Given most of my childhood involved me playing games like Crash Bandicoot, Spyro and Ratchet & Clank you can say I'm an ace at platforming games!

It's one of the easiest genres out there, but I think I'm good at fighting games as well since I did play a few of the Tekken games in my early gaming days, and also a few racing games.

Heartouch
March 30th, 2013, 12:03 AM
I'm good with RPGs of Pokemon-related, and also quite good at some racing games.

Nerdy Mojo
March 30th, 2013, 05:27 AM
RPGs,MMORPGs, simulation games and action adventure games are my specialty

im average at shooters which isnt good enough these days with alot of the mid-core gamers being hardcore on de shooterz. i dont really play any other genres but the ones i mentioned im good at and the only reason im not that great at the other genres is i dont play them much or at all.( i used to be godly at socom though)

Naturalles
March 30th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Shooter, RPG, MMORPGs and adventure. Not to forget puzzle, I'm well good at these.

Well, when it comes to shooting, I play hardcore even though I'm a girl. :P

AirSabin Bubblun
March 30th, 2013, 09:32 AM
I'm generally good at Puzzle games, and also Platformers. I'm only good at the old FPS genre, anything from 1990-2005 era. I'm also very good at the driving genre, and my favorite game from that is Crash Team Racing.

Fenrir Reki
March 30th, 2013, 10:42 AM
I'm generally better at shooters and rpg games than other genres. Even though I prefer playing RPGs, I find myself playing lots of shooters occasionally.

t3chvoid
April 3rd, 2013, 09:52 AM
I enjoy playing strategic RTS kinda games the most :)

Olli
April 3rd, 2013, 10:53 AM
Puzzle/Adventure games are where my game's at. Zelda's been a big part of my gaming life, and throughout my childhood, together with Mario, it's been pretty much exclusive to my gaming life as well. I've always loved games that have followed the same formula as Zelda. Games where you're on some kinda of quest, and have to make your way through dungeons/temples/etc., beating bosses and solving puzzles through it all, with a bit of platforming and rpg elements thrown into it.

I'm not bad at platformng games, and I do enjoy Mario games and such, but I just don't really find them as entertaining, and when it comes to RPG's, I'm horrible at micro-managing my characters and such, and I am just not good at spending my money well enough. And all the grinding hfskhfsdkhfsdf. Pokemon is one of the few games that I don't get that feeling from, mostly because it doesn't follow the typical RPG formula, and the games aren't really that challenging, though still remains fun. But yeah, that's why I enjoy both being genres being pretty minimal in most Zelda games. And that's why I enjoy games like them.

LiteSandwich
April 3rd, 2013, 03:04 PM
I love the RPG stuff,and Puzzle games as well.I also like MMO's and some FPS,such as TF2

Blade_of_darkness
April 3rd, 2013, 03:23 PM
Shooters are where it's at for me, but I'll also pick up & play anything that'll let me kill anything, human or otherwise.

Rango
April 10th, 2013, 02:19 AM
I play many 'bro' games, like Fifa and Call of Duty, so I guess I'm better at them than any other genre.

lynds
April 10th, 2013, 04:15 AM
Platform games, Action-adventure, Simulation :)

Astinus
April 10th, 2013, 10:51 AM
RPGs are what I grew up playing, so that's my specialty genre. I'm also pretty good at platform games, which came about with years of playing Mario and Mega Man.

stp
April 10th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Strategy games, easily. I'm pretty good at RPG games too, although I can't stand grinding.

Nova
April 12th, 2013, 04:42 AM
Im the best at RTS games, its also the genre i grew up with with games like Red Alert and Tiberian Sun.

Im also pretty decent at fifa and fps games

Mr. Avocado
April 12th, 2013, 01:47 PM
I tend to excel in FPS, RPG and Sports games. I guess the main reason being is that I have been playing these genres primarily ever since I started gaming and haven't lost interest in any of them. Obviously, for different games it requires getting used to, but (especially with FPS') with familiarity in the genre I get to grips with games fairly quickly.

Naturalles
April 13th, 2013, 10:22 AM
I'm good at FPS and RPG.

But I grew up with Pokemon, and at 12 I started playing FPS non-stop.

thedestinedblade
April 13th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Majority of the games I play are RPGS (no MMOs!) and I don't know exactly how to tell if I'm good at them or not. I've finished a lot and left a lot of them unfinished; depends on the game itself, really.

I enjoy fighting games, but I'm absolutely dreadful at them. Can never get the grip on any of the technical fighting games series out there. I'm good at the SSB games, but many people don't consider it a "real" fighting anyways. :laugh:

Jak
April 24th, 2013, 07:45 AM
I'm good at RPGs, and that's really it. I'm okay at platformers and some adventure games, but I'm no good at FPS games. Which, I really wish I was, cause there are some good games in the genre I'd love to try, but I can't coordinate myself with the controls to save my life haha. :( So I'll just stick to RPGs...that's what I'm best at.

Killjoy
April 24th, 2013, 07:53 AM
I used to play primarily first and third person shooters, though now play fantasy RPGs and shooter RPGs exclusively. Though I can be good at pretty much any game I pick up. Anything from Pokemon to Mario to Rainbow6 to Darksouls lol

Satoshi Ookami
April 25th, 2013, 12:10 AM
JRPGs and puzzle games.
Overall, I'm good at games where you need to use brain rather than "button skills" :D
I did grow up with FIFA and NHL games so I guess those as well.

Aurora
April 25th, 2013, 03:22 AM
I find myself to be quite proficient at RPG, FPS, strategy and puzzle games. I'm absolutely hopeless at sport-related games (I've given FIFA a spin before and I loathed it), and can also play adventure games to some extent. I find myself to be pretty well-rounded, aside from that gaping hole...

Treetwig
April 25th, 2013, 03:38 AM
Im very good at RPG,FPS,strategy and puzzle games, shooting games and racing games.Im also good at sport related games but i rarely play them because they are boooring.(Mario slam basketball is exception)

Nonon
April 25th, 2013, 04:24 AM
Shooters, Platformers and racing, usually. I'm always playing either Battlefield 3, Sonic Generations or Need for Speed: Most Wanted these days - I used to have GTA IV, but lost it..I'm also a fan of games that require a lot of exploration, which Generations has a little bit of, in the forms of alternate routes.

YungKnowledge
April 27th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Sports and RPG and some time shooters but it just depend on the day.

Depu Techiikue
April 27th, 2013, 09:56 PM
I am probably best at "J"RPG's, whether it's turn based or real time. On any of my save files from any of my FF games, I can destroy the final boss in a matter of a few turns. In FF7, I destroy Emerald & Ruby Weapon like they are regular bosses. In FFX, my characters' sphere grids are maxed out. I go hard!

I am also best at action games, such as God of War, Ninja Gaiden, DmC, etc. I made Ninja Gaiden Black my slave and put that boy Ryu to work!

I am also decent at shooters when playing on PC, but my laptop is all I have left and I don't really game on it.

I am absolutely horrible at brawlers, except for PSABR, and I am not that fond of WRPG's. :(

Pära
April 27th, 2013, 11:38 PM
I'm probably best at JRPGs as I find number calculation and messing around with stats quite fun and rewarding. I'm also quite good at puzzle and rhythm games as well, in fact most games which are more focused on logic rather than action I like to play more. That's not to say I don't like most action games, just that I fell more interested in other games.

I can't stand anything in first-person view, as I always found it hard to control