PDA

View Full Version : Famicom aka. Nintendo Entertainment System (NES™) Discussion Thread

Miss Doronjo
March 24th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Release Date: JP: July 15, 1983, NA: October 18, 1985, EU: September 1, 1986, EU/AUS: 1987

So while there are keen interest in the newer games, I thought it might be nice to go in the late 1990s, and discuss about the Famicon, or, as it's called the NES in the United States. This is a thread to just... discuss our memories about it, and anything else that comes to mind!

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/302/0/b/classic_nes_characters_by_fistfulofyoshi-d4edcri.png

Just to jog your memory, this was the Nintendo Entertainment System with it's controller:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/82/NES-Console-Set.jpg/800px-NES-Console-Set.jpg

And this was Japan's Nintendo Family Computer, also known as the Famicom:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/72/Famicom-Console-Set.jpg/800px-Famicom-Console-Set.jpg

Also, in case you haven't known, there is also a trial campaign (http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/downloads/virtual-console/#thirty) for the Wii U, where Nintendo celebrates it's 30 year anniversary for the Famicom.

Now, for this thread, of course, you can talk about all of your experiences with the NES here. These are just questions to bounce some ideas: What do you think about the NES? What games did you have for the NES, and which ones were your favourite/least favourite? What were some of your memories for the NES? Do you still own the NES today? How do you think the NES compares with Nintendo's later systems like, the Nintendo Gamecube, the Nintendo Wii, and the Nintendo Wii U? Do you have other thoughts you would like to share about the NES?

TRIFORCE89
March 24th, 2013, 04:19 PM
I had a NES when I was a toddler with Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt, Tetris, Blades or Steel, and Sesame Street 123.

Between my two neighbours I also had access to Super Mario Bros. 3, The Legend of Zelda, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game, and probably some others I can't recall. Zelda's gold cartridge fascinated me.

Played other NES games over the years, but that's all what I started with.

tabor62
March 24th, 2013, 07:47 PM
I've been wanting an NES, and my neighbor actually might be able to dig her old one up and sell it to me (I hope it isn't too expensive). Though what I really want the Top Loader, but it's so expensive D:

TRIFORCE89
March 24th, 2013, 09:04 PM
I've been wanting an NES, and my neighbor actually might be able to dig her old one up and sell it to me (I hope it isn't too expensive). Though what I really want the Top Loader, but it's so expensive D:
There's third party hardware clones that work just as well. Cheaper. And can even boot other retro consoles depending on the configuration you get.

Might want to save money on the console front to build up your game library instead

Team Fail
March 24th, 2013, 09:18 PM
I have a NES sitting in my game cabinet right now, actually! I have Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt, Super Mario Bros 2, Tetris, Othello, and a Game Genie, as well as a Zapper that's in really good shape, and a QuickShot XII Joystick Controller. Plenty of hours of fun :D

I really want to import Famicom games, as well as the disk system, just for the FDS exclusive games.

TRIFORCE89
March 25th, 2013, 05:35 AM
I really want to import Famicom games, as well as the disk system, just for the FDS exclusive games.
The FDS is neat. Some classic Nintendo titles saw enhanced version on that system.

Over the years Nintendo's released the original Ice Climbers and Excitebike numerous times to the public. They really should rerelease the FDS-enhanced version. Ice Climbers gets bosses and stage selection and more mountains. Excitebike gets more tracks, multiplayer, and Mode A and B is combined to make for a qualifying-then-race setup. Both games feel more like finished games and less like demos.

Clu Clu Land got the same treatment too. But, if you've ever played Animal Crossing on the GCN, you can try it out there.

Astinus
March 25th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Getting the NES is one of my earliest memories. Though all I really remember is just picking out the box.

I had a lot of games for the NES. Megaman 1 through 6, both Zelda games, the two Yoshi puzzle games, the three Super Mario games, Lifeforce, Dr. Mario, Castlevania, Chip & Dale... I could go on.

My favorite game, though, is Adventure Island 2. Although Megaman 2 is a close second.

Least favorite is Duck Hunt. That dog. http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h229/Hanako_Tabris/emoticons%20from%20LPs/emot-laugh.gif

Jak
March 25th, 2013, 11:34 AM
As big of a Nintendo junkie I am, I have only played an NES once. Yep. Once. However, I do own an NES. After my paw paw passed away, we were looking for photos of him to make a collage for the funeral. Something we didn't expect to find however, was an NES tucked away under a wooden cabinet for who knows how long! So, I got to keep it. I cleaned it off a bit, since it was sticky and wet. It smelled like wood. So glad it doesn't anymore haha. But it sits next to where I put all my consoles, however I haven't been able to hook it up and I've had it about 8 months now. I should probably get to working on getting it working...lol

I do have one game for it, Super Mario Bros 2. It was actually a gift for someone, but they gave it back to me. :| Yeah, rude isn't it? Oh well though. I may work on building my NES library when I can figure out how to hook it up and work it, but for now, it's a nice display.

I have some other NES games on Virtual Console, but shoot, that's Wii and you don't wanna hear about that. :P I'll just say I suck at MegaMan 4. That's all.

tabor62
March 25th, 2013, 11:57 AM
There's third party hardware clones that work just as well. Cheaper. And can even boot other retro consoles depending on the configuration you get.

Might want to save money on the console front to build up your game library instead

Pffft, I like original hardware and games. Which is why I give clones and 3rd party consoles a pass.

Miss Doronjo
March 25th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Hm, well, all I can remember is that when I was about 4-5 years old, I was playing Ice Hockey with my Dad on the NES. Ice Hockey also came with the original Super Mario Bros., but, I didn't know how to hook up or how to work the NES by myself, and, I was too shy to ask anyone to help me with that. So, I eventually had to learn everything myself. A couple of years later, I was visiting my Dad in Toronto, and I was helping out with cleaning out the Storage Room, and what do you know,there was the old NES! I took it, and tried to get it to work. Well, it was indeed working, and I also had games like Super Mario Bros 3, and Duck Hunt, but, it wasn't working on the NES all that well. Hm. Maybe it was the poor cording, or the games weren't that good, but... yeah.

Let's see... if I can remember, these were the games I played for the NES:

Super Mario Bros.
Duck Hunt
Ice Hockey
Legend of Zelda
Super Mario Bros 3.
Urban Champion
Metroid
Dr. Mario
Donkey Kong Country
Excitebike
Street Fighter
Star Fox
Mario Bros.
Ice Climbers

Pffft, I like original hardware and games. Which is why I give clones and 3rd party consoles a pass.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel. @_@ Although, unfortunately, as I said, I just can't get my NES to work properly, so, the Wii U's Famicom event was the next best thing for me. :(

Do you guys remember the NES accessories? Like this; the Zapper:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/80/Wikipedia_Nes_Zapper.jpg

tabor62
March 25th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Ahh, the picture doesn't work @.@ (no hotlinking)

Anybody know what this accessory is? (Yes, it's a real NES accessory)
http://nintendoagemedia.com/users/147/collections/miracle%20piano.jpg

TRIFORCE89
March 25th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I get that. I still have my original NES. It's just cool XD

Hm, well, all I can remember is that when I was about 4-5 years old, I was playing Ice Hockey with my Dad on the NES. Ice Hockey also came with the original Super Mario Bros., but, I didn't know how to hook up or how to work the NES by myself, and, I was too shy to ask anyone to help me with that. So, I eventually had to learn everything myself.
I used to play Super Mario Bros. with my Dad a lot. And same situation, he was the one to hook it up all the time. Dunno why. Not really a hard thing to do. lol But learned too.

Let's see... if I can remember, these were the games I played for the NES:

Super Mario Bros.
Duck Hunt
Ice Hockey
Legend of Zelda
Super Mario Bros 3.
Urban Champion
Metroid
Dr. Mario
Donkey Kong Country
Excitebike
Street Fighter
Star Fox
Mario Bros.
Ice Climbers

Street Fighter? Donkey Kong Country? Star Fox? Huh? Street Fighter, maybe. Was it Street Fighter 2010. DKC, no unless you have a pirate cart. Star Fox not at all. o.o I think you might have thrown some SNES games in there.

Do you guys remember the NES accessories? Like this; the Zapper
Yup, I have that.

Anybody know what this accessory is? (Yes, it's a real NES accessory)
Never saw that before. That's interesting. Always wanted to learn piano. I should hunt that thing down XD

Miss Doronjo
March 25th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Oh. @_@ Sorry, yeah, I guess I got some them confused with SNES. .__.

Lemme re-list:

~ Super Mario Bros.
~ Duck Hunt
~ Ice Hockey
~ Legend of Zelda
~ Super Mario Bros 3.
~ Urban Champion
~ Metroid
~ Dr. Mario
~ Excitebike
~ Mario Bros.
~ Ice Climbers

I swore I thought I played Star Fox and DKC on NES. @_@ Unless.. maybe it was the regular "Donkey Kong" for NES? Bah, I can't remember too well; sorry. What about that R.O.B. thing? Did anyone have that?

TRIFORCE89
March 25th, 2013, 06:27 PM
Oh. @_@ Yeah, I guess I got some them confused with SNES. .__.

Lemme re-list:

~ Super Mario Bros.
~ Duck Hunt
~ Ice Hockey
~ Legend of Zelda
~ Super Mario Bros 3.
~ Urban Champion
~ Metroid
~ Dr. Mario
~ Excitebike
~ Mario Bros.
~ Ice Climbers

I swore I thought I played Star Fox and DKC on NES. @_@ Unless.. maybe it was the regular "Donkey Kong" for NES? Bah, I can't remember too well; sorry. What about that R.O.B. thing? Did anyone have that?
Well, Street Fighter was possible if it was Street Fighter 2010. But then I saw the other two and I was like O_o

I did not have ROB. But it was on the back of the NES box, and I'd look at that and wonder why it didn't come with it.

My NES library was small, but between Animal Crossing, the e-Reader, and the GBA rereleases I got to play more than I would have otherwise ^_^

Miss Doronjo
March 26th, 2013, 10:37 AM
What was the R.O.B used for anyway? I've heard that it came with an NES game of some kind, but, I never did understood the use. D:

tabor62
March 26th, 2013, 12:07 PM
R.O.B. was only used for two games, Gyromite and Stack-up (they suck tbh)

TRIFORCE89
March 26th, 2013, 02:08 PM
What was the R.O.B used for anyway? I've heard that it came with an NES game of some kind, but, I never did understood the use. D:
Gyromite and Stack-Up were early co-op (I guess?) games. If you didn't have a buddy handy to use the second controller, you had ROB around to play with. He'd open doors and turn gears and things.

I think the games were probably made with ROB in my mind. Early early on, I'm fairly certain ROB came with all NES hardware until the started labelling them as different packs (I think I had the "Action" pack or something? Zapper + Duck Hunt/Super Mario Bros.). And this was because the home video game market had experienced a bit of a crash and were frowned upon. By including ROB, Nintendo could market the NES more as a toy than as a video game system.

If you've never seen ROB in action, you should look up a video on YouTube. Kinda freaky how it moves XD

Team Fail
March 26th, 2013, 04:45 PM
I know someone that has a NES complete in-box. It was opened, but it's so cool seeing all the manuals and stuff. It just flows in nostalgia.

AND DID YOU KNOW that a knitting system was planned for the NES?
http://images.nintendolife.com/news/2012/08/god_lord_the_knit_tendo_entertainment_system_actually_exists/attachment/0/large.jpg

ZetaZaku
March 27th, 2013, 12:01 AM
Never had a legit NES, but they used to sell pirated versions of it. I think that they are still selling them, only under a different name like Polystation or Nintendo Wee. Had great time with some games like Power Rangers (Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger), Excite Bike, Legend of Kage etc. They sold those 99-1 cartridges haha.

I'm planning on buying a legit NES one of these days. Probably won't find many interesting games, as most people are selling some crappy games on auctions here.

Miss Doronjo
March 27th, 2013, 09:51 AM
I know someone that has a NES complete in-box. It was opened, but it's so cool seeing all the manuals and stuff. It just flows in nostalgia.

AND DID YOU KNOW that a knitting system was planned for the NES?
http://images.nintendolife.com/news/2012/08/god_lord_the_knit_tendo_entertainment_system_actually_exists/attachment/0/large.jpg

Hahahaha, I remember that! "KNOW THAT YOUR KNITTING WITH POWER!" Was it supposed to come with a knitting game? Or... what exactly was it good for? XD

Oh, do you guys remember the Power Glove?

http://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/nes-powerglove.jpg

Cause yeaaaah those were the days that we were playing with power!

tabor62
March 27th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Hahahaha, I remember that! "KNOW THAT YOUR KNITTING WITH POWER!" Was it supposed to come with a knitting game? Or... what exactly was it good for? XD

I heard it really sucks. Seems fun to try out though.

Miss Doronjo
March 27th, 2013, 02:15 PM
I heard it really sucks. Seems fun to try out though.

Haha, yeah, it... was pretty bad. uu;

The main problem with it was that it didn't really work too well. Basically, games weren't working too well with it. Plus, the aspect of playing video games with a glove? I find that just.. weird.

ZetaZaku
March 28th, 2013, 05:39 AM

KZErvASwdlU

Nintendo sure had some crazy ideas, too bad most of them failed. I only know about those featured in that AVGN video about NES accessories.

Team Fail
March 28th, 2013, 08:43 AM
I'm not totally sure, but if it were released, I'd get one just because I can. and possibly win ugly sweater contests with ease.

I really wanna try one. There's one at a local game shop, but it's $150. And I don't even have any compatible games.

Miss Doronjo
March 29th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Does anyone remember the NES Power Pad?

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/3948/890094-nes_power_pad.jpg

It's like a Twister pad, but, you know, it works for video games. You can stomp your feet on it and it can move characters around. It was... tiresome but kind of cool, IMO. XD

Team Fail
March 29th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Does anyone remember the NES Power Pad?

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/3948/890094-nes_power_pad.jpg

It's like a Twister pad, but, you know, it works for video games. You can stomp your feet on it and it can move characters around. It was... tiresome but kind of cool, IMO. XD

I think I saw one of those with World Class Track Meet, for like, $300. It was complete in-box, so that's probably why.

Miss Doronjo
April 2nd, 2013, 05:01 AM
I think I remember seeing one in a Flea Market, but, that's about it. You really don't see stuff like that anymore. Well, I don't think it's hard to imagine why, but, still.

How about the NES Konami Laser Scope?

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1ILC5Q8qykZMt8NXraWFGeRDByzLAgwDJh-OAEMEZlMw1SeJR-Q

This is like the Zapper, but, it's voice controlled. Ironically, it was supposed to be for the convince of the people around you, because there are headphones for you to play the game quietly, but, you'd have to keep saying "FIRE! FIRE!" to make the thing work, so, it sort of defeats that purpose. @_@ You can play shooting games like Duck Hunt.

KriegStein
April 2nd, 2013, 05:18 AM
Yeah I remember that ridiculous headthing. Im glad we never bought it. Hmm I actualy have my nes here somewhere still.

Sylphiel
April 2nd, 2013, 07:41 AM

I remember that thing! I was still pretty young when my parents bought one. I just remember being entirely dissatisfied with it, since I thought I'd be able to do awesome things with it - and then I tried playing SMB with it and yeah that didn't work out so well. :I Mario why won't you jump?!

I still have my old NES - well, my parents still have it. Or maybe they do, not sure what they've done with some stuff since I left. But it doesn't work. Something blew on it years ago (I was playing Startropics at the time it happened!), it got cleaned out/fixed but lacked a power cord, and when I finally did buy a replacement cord it wouldn't turn on ever again. :( Sad times.

At least with playing NES games through other ways, I don't have to deal with the cartridges anymore. I think half my time playing the NES was actually spent just trying to blow dust out of the system and/or cleaning the cartridges. Or maybe I just had really dirty games, I have no idea.

(I remember the power pad, I had the light gun, but holy crap I never ever saw that headset or the knitting thing. lol what.)

DavidtheDeadPhilosopher
April 2nd, 2013, 07:52 AM
I owned a NES breifly in my teenage years. It actually came with 2 Zappers, which was pretty boss. I owned Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt, Final Fantasy, Mario 2, Mario 3, Dr. Mario, and All Unser Jr.'s Turbo Racing, which was actually a lot of fun :). I've of course played countless other Nes Titles, and own Virtual Console/Colletions Edtions of NES games.

http://nesguide.com/games/al-unser-jrs-turbo-racing/

Castlevania is probably my favorite NES era title.

Miss Doronjo
April 3rd, 2013, 04:05 AM
I only remember using the power glove for Super Mario Bros. XD And yeah, it didn't go out that well! Although, I thought that I was doing something wrong at the time, hence why I didn't throw the Power Glove away or something like that. Although, at the time, the controller was still working perfectly, so, yes, I managed to piece it all together that the Power Glove doesn't work, or... it was defective or something.

Yeah I remember that ridiculous headthing. Im glad we never bought it. Hmm I actualy have my nes here somewhere still.

Ugh, yeah, my parents didn't buy it either. XD I thought it looked cool at the time, but, as I understood, it was sort of tedious to wear around, and well, it just plain sucked. :|

I remember that thing! I was still pretty young when my parents bought one. I just remember being entirely dissatisfied with it, since I thought I'd be able to do awesome things with it - and then I tried playing SMB with it and yeah that didn't work out so well. :I Mario why won't you jump?!

I still have my old NES - well, my parents still have it. Or maybe they do, not sure what they've done with some stuff since I left. But it doesn't work. Something blew on it years ago (I was playing Startropics at the time it happened!), it got cleaned out/fixed but lacked a power cord, and when I finally did buy a replacement cord it wouldn't turn on ever again. :( Sad times.

At least with playing NES games through other ways, I don't have to deal with the cartridges anymore. I think half my time playing the NES was actually spent just trying to blow dust out of the system and/or cleaning the cartridges. Or maybe I just had really dirty games, I have no idea.

(I remember the power pad, I had the light gun, but holy crap I never ever saw that headset or the knitting thing. lol what.)

Yeah, nowadays, I use an emulator on this computer to play all of my old NES games. I think the problem with my old NES is that the plug-ins doesn't work all that well anymore. It just barely reads my old NES games, and well, ultimately, I didn't remember how it was generally a pain to get all of the plugs together, and hook it up to the television, only to realize that it doesn't work... ugh.

In any case, those NES accessories are getting very rare nowadays, and they came in limited quantities, so, it's not really a surprise that you might not of seen them before. Even I didn't remember half of these accessories, until now. @__@;;

Speaking of which, this was something that was developed by LJN; the Roll and Rocker:

http://www.gamernode.com/upload/manager/Feature%20Images/Worst%20Controllers/rock1285517557.jpg

The Roll & Rocker required you to stand on and tilt your body as a substitute for d-pad movement. You could then press the A and B buttons on the NES controller to fully control the character. Uh, bare in mind, I use that last sentence lightly, because there was really no control, just constant ball-punching. Also, it was really a safety hazard. Because yeah, there was no joy if kids fell off this thing, injuring themselves. :(

This thing didn't even work for the LJN games, WHICH BY THE WAY, LJN developed really, really, terrible games for the NES, imo. For example there was the Uncanny X-Men. It was... a confusing game to play.

Ugh, okay, let me be real. Personally, it was one of those games that wasted one of the weekends of my childhood. I can keep rambling about LJN, but, if you've ever played one of the LJN games for the NES, you'll probably know where I'm coming from. :(

Cassino
April 5th, 2013, 09:26 AM
I imagine it would've been to show off the capabilities of the hardware, so honestly little to do with consumers.
I wouldn't know, but I'd guess knitting was an easy task to program.

Team Fail
April 5th, 2013, 10:08 AM
I remember seeing the Rock N Roller. That looks so incredibly dangerous tbh. Imagine if you were juuuuuuust too heavy and as soon as you got balanced, you snapped it in half.

Then somehow it enters the Konami code and you are sent to gamers heaven.

Miss Doronjo
April 6th, 2013, 08:42 AM
I remember seeing the Rock N Roller. That looks so incredibly dangerous tbh. Imagine if you were juuuuuuust too heavy and as soon as you got balanced, you snapped it in half.

Then somehow it enters the Konami code and you are sent to gamers heaven.

That, or you can easily fall off and hurt yourself. It has happened before. :(

Ummm another NES accessory was the speedboard:

http://www.gamernode.com/upload/manager/Feature%20Images/Worst%20Controllers/speedboard1285517060.jpg

Look, to be honest? This thing was god awful. You can easily get a turbo NES controller instead of this... piece of plastic. Plus, playing the NES controller with this thing was just... awkward. XD

Jak
April 6th, 2013, 08:51 AM
omg are we talking about accessories? The only relevant one should be the Zapper. Those other ones are a hot mess, though I heard the piano/keyboard was actually pretty decent, even though there's only one game for it. The Guitar Hero before Guitar Hero? lol

Miss Doronjo
April 6th, 2013, 08:55 AM
omg are we talking about accessories? The only relevant one should be the Zapper. Those other ones are a hot mess, though I heard the piano/keyboard was actually pretty decent, even though there's only one game for it. The Guitar Hero before Guitar Hero? lol

Yeah, I heard that you can shoot ducks with it. :O There was also a game featuring R.O.B where you can't make him fall. :(

Honestly, while the majority of these NES accessories were pretty generally bad, they were.. quite entertaining to find all about them at first. XD But, they made them way to hyped up for their own good. :(

Team Fail
April 6th, 2013, 08:56 AM

I have a zapper :D And it's in really good condition too. And this controller I have. It's nice for Tetris. (Pic isn't mine, but it's the exact same product)

http://i.imgur.com/cFcnyT2.jpg

TRIFORCE89
April 6th, 2013, 01:41 PM
https://gs1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/8019B6/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq9emwxitn1qlhbh7o1_500.jpg

I don't have this. But I do have the SuperNES version. I cannot figure out a use for it XD It makes everything so clunky.

Probably for fighters, but I don't have any

tabor62
April 6th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Ah, the NES Advantage. It's for games that you have to repeatedly press "A" or "B". They have a, extra button that when pushed down, the NES would recognize that as having "A" or "B" being repeatedly pressed.

Also there was this one, the NES Max:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2d/NES-Max-Controller.jpg/250px-NES-Max-Controller.jpg

TRIFORCE89
April 6th, 2013, 04:25 PM
So maybe for Shmup?

The Cycloid or whatever the control pad there on the Max was called is kinda interesting. I didn't think there were much of a need for 8-direction play until the Game Boy.

Did anyone have the revised NES?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e0/NES-101-Console-Set.jpg/640px-NES-101-Console-Set.jpg

I have a memory of actually seen one in a store when I was younger. Is the back of the controller shaped like the SNES? Or rather the Super Famicom, which was padded and not flat

Miss Doronjo
April 6th, 2013, 04:33 PM
^ I remember that console, but, my parents never bought it for me, because our old NES worked perfectly. But, I've seen it before on separate occasions.

That actually reminds me of this thing:

http://www.stupidfingers.com/projects/nintoaster2/nt2_top.jpg

The Nin-Toaster. It was, literally, a console. And it worked. XD

TRIFORCE89
April 6th, 2013, 04:51 PM
I do like the the remodel was top-loading because it lets you look at the cover art. But, the rest of it doesn't scream NES to me

tabor62
April 7th, 2013, 10:48 AM
I really want the top loading NES, no lock chip problems so you can play PAL games on it too. I also like the dog bone controllers better too. Fit better in your hand than the original rectangular ones. Though the console and controllers are rarer and more expensive than the original ;.;

The Nin Toaster is a fan made mod though, but still pretty cool.

Team Fail
April 7th, 2013, 11:03 AM
I kinda want a top-loading NES, because using a Game Genie with it won't strain parts, like it did on the front-loading NES.

tabor62
April 7th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Eh, you cheater :P Stop using a Game Genie

Miss Doronjo
April 7th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Back in the day people had to rely on Nintendo Power for NES cheats/secrets. :3

tabor62
April 7th, 2013, 01:43 PM
There was no Internet to look up stuff on (gasp, shock, horror). Also, anyone still have the really early issues of Nintendo Power?

Jak
April 7th, 2013, 02:30 PM
The Top Loader NES looks so much nicer than the regular NES. Though the controller design on the NES defines classic. I can't imagine using anything other than that rectangle. XD It is uncomfortable though.

tabor62
April 7th, 2013, 02:48 PM
The Top Loader NES looks so much nicer than the regular NES. Though the controller design on the NES defines classic. I can't imagine using anything other than that rectangle. XD It is uncomfortable though.

Yeah, the original controller is much more recognizable. Also if you want to be technical, the Atari 2600's controller is more classic :P Of course there are even older systems, but this is the oldest more people know about.

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/write.ign.com/23492/2012/02/2600.jpg

Miss Doronjo
April 7th, 2013, 03:39 PM
There was no Internet to look up stuff on (gasp, shock, horror). Also, anyone still have the really early issues of Nintendo Power?

I have one that has a section about something about a NES game called Milon's Secret Castle, but the rest of them have no mentions about NES games.

tabor62
April 7th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Eww, Milon's Secret Castle, I've never played the physical copy, but it really sucked. Plus the AVGN ranted about it so that tells you something. As noted by him, its section in the secrets and codes part of the magazine was titled "Getting Started" :l

Jak
April 7th, 2013, 03:50 PM
I knew someone would have to be technical about the controllers, but the one you often see being portrayed as the classic/retro gaming controller is the NES one. I rarely see the 2600 joystick chilling out anywhere, sadly. :(

I have one that has a section about something about a NES game called Milon's Secret Castle, but the rest of them have no mentions about NES games.

"Milon's Secret Castle: Getting Started?!?! This isn't a cheat! This just tells you how to play the game!!"

tabor62
April 7th, 2013, 04:11 PM
"Milon's Secret Castle: Getting Started?!?! This isn't a cheat! This just tells you how to play the game!!"

Oooh, a fellow AVGN fan :D "You play it for 5 minutes, you get stuck, and then your whole weekend is wasted"

It's also interesting to note that he uses the normal top loading NES for this rant.

Miss Doronjo
April 9th, 2013, 08:05 AM
What were some of the worst NES titles you've played?

I already mentioned The Uncanny X-Men and Milon's Secret Castle, but there was also a game called Hydelyde which is like Zelda (but technically it came first).

Jak
April 9th, 2013, 08:21 AM
You actually played all those? :( Scary thought.

The only NES game I've played on an actual NES is Super Mario Bros, waaaay back at a daycare center. Like I said in my first post in this thread, I need to build up my NES library and figure out how to get it to work with my tv. That being said though, I myself haven't played any really bad games. Only watched and cringed.

Miss Doronjo
April 9th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Playing them was even more cringe worthy. XD And yeah, I've played them when I was a bit older (from 5 years old). I could only handle playing them for about 25 minutes until I've stopped forever.

:(

Jak
April 9th, 2013, 01:47 PM
The first time I went to our local older game store, my boyfriend at the time wanted to show me the ****** games they had there. We went over to the NES section and he pulls out Ghostbusters and I laughed waaaay too hard about it. When I go there, I like to look for AVGN reviewed games for the lolz. Always entertaining.

R.F.
April 9th, 2013, 02:00 PM
I remember playing Super Mario Bros. (or was it just watching?) at school, even though at that time the SNES was quite outdated, too.

In the last years I made some research about NES games, mostly watching LPs, or even trying them by myself (and failing miserably) and it was kinda fun to see the beginning of some of the most popular series today (Final Fantasy, Zelda). Also I like their simple design, most of the newer games are sometimes a little bit too complex so I lose interest quite often.

Some games I find quite interesting: Crystalis, Battletoads, Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania, Zelda 1 and 2
Most of them are quite tough, though...

tabor62
April 9th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Playing them was even more cringe worthy. XD And yeah, I've played them when I was a bit older. I could only handle playing them for about 25 minutes until I've stopped forever.

:(

You age backwards? :O jk

But some really bad games for the NES was Action 52. I want to hold one in real life sometime, but it's so expensive ;.; I don't collect for the NES so it'd be a waste of money for me. Does anyone here collect for the NES?

TRIFORCE89
April 9th, 2013, 06:04 PM
You age backwards? :O jk

But some really bad games for the NES was Action 52. I want to hold one in real life sometime, but it's so expensive ;.; I don't collect for the NES so it'd be a waste of money for me. Does anyone here collect for the NES?
Well, it is unlicensed. Doesn't have the Seal of Quality on it XD

Also, Cheetahmen

Jak
April 9th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Fun fact: I use videos to fall asleep to because I don't like total silence and I like to use the Action 52 AVGN video to sleep to. Weird, I know. But I know that video like the back of my hand as a result. lmao

I don't collect for the NES specifically, but I like to collect Nintendo stuff in general. I'm not hardcore about it to where I need each different model of certain consoles though. imo, collecting NES stuff would be the most difficult. The most expensive NES game, Stadium Events, sold for 41k. :x And then there are other NES games that are up there in price and rarity as well. Crazy...

tabor62
April 9th, 2013, 06:44 PM

Also, Cheetahmen

Pfft, a lot of games with the Seal of "Quality" sucked :P Cheetahmen II is even harder to find D: so I probably won't ever touch one of them either.

I collect for the Gameboy family, kind of hard without a job or allowance though haha

Miss Doronjo
April 11th, 2013, 04:52 PM

Also, Cheetahmen

Cheetahmen. :/

That could of been the next Teenage Mutuant Ninja Turtles, but the games were glitchy. XD Like, unbelievably glitchy. :x You could hop in the air!

Astinus
April 11th, 2013, 07:26 PM
And then there are other NES games that are up there in price and rarity as well. Crazy...
Like the gold Nintendo World Championships cartridge? Or the Myriad Games 6-in-1 cartridge? The prices of those can get pretty high, if one can even find them on sale at all.

With Cheetahmen, it's amazing how much they tried to push the game. Like with the comic book that sold with the game, and I think there were plans for action figures? They probably should have focused more on making the game good before saying that it was "hot selling." Which is what they slapped on the cover sticker for the Caltron 6-in-1 cartridge, and how many people have that?

(All of this knowledge of mine comes from watching the AVGN. I guess it's impossible to talk so much about the Nintendo and not mention him at some point. We need a thread where we can talk about Internet reviewers.)

Once, I watched a video online of someone playing through Hydelyde and another difficult NES game Dark Towers. He gave tips on how to play through the games so you could attempt it yourself.

As for my own difficult NES game that I owned, I don't know. When you're four-years-old, every game is difficult. Can't think of any that I own that would be considered difficult.

Ah. No. Castlevania III. Even watching other people play it, it's clear that game is a very difficult one.

TRIFORCE89
April 11th, 2013, 08:07 PM
(All of this knowledge of mine comes from watching the AVGN. I guess it's impossible to talk so much about the Nintendo and not mention him at some point. We need a thread where we can talk about Internet reviewers.)
Lifelong Nintendo fan and I've never seen an AVGN video

Algo Fonix
April 14th, 2013, 03:42 PM
The NES will always be dear to me. I got my start as a gamer on it and all that good rose tinted glasses stuff. I still play mine fairly often. There are lots of great games out there that I probably won't ever get a chance to play. I've also got a Famicom, which is alright, I guess. More of a novelty than anything else.

Does anyone here collect for the NES?

Sorta. I guess, anyway. I haven't purchased any new games in a year or so, but I want to resume my collecting soon.

Team Fail
April 14th, 2013, 08:36 PM
I wanna see if I can get some rare games. Someone at work told me that they had 2 copies of the NWC 1990 cart - One Gold, and one grey. idk if she's bsing me, but if she does have them, I'd be jelly out of this universe.

tabor62
April 14th, 2013, 10:40 PM
I wanna see if I can get some rare games. Someone at work told me that they had 2 copies of the NWC 1990 cart - One Gold, and one grey. idk if she's bsing me, but if she does have them, I'd be jelly out of this universe.

Probably lying through their teeth. Very few people own either, let alone both. I can only think of one person who own's both from the top of my head, and that's Pat the NES Punk.

tigerBLADE
April 15th, 2013, 02:59 AM

Yeah? Cause damn, those games are extremely rare; there's only about a few in the world. @___@
But if you will get them, then I'd say you're extremely lucky! <3

TRIFORCE89
April 15th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Played DuckTales and the Adventure of Link in the last couple of days

Jak
April 15th, 2013, 09:25 AM
With Cheetahmen, it's amazing how much they tried to push the game. Like with the comic book that sold with the game, and I think there were plans for action figures? They probably should have focused more on making the game good before saying that it was "hot selling." Which is what they slapped on the cover sticker for the Caltron 6-in-1 cartridge, and how many people have that?

That's an expensive sticker, haha. Anyway, did you see that thing where they tried to remake Cheetahmen and it turned out to be some sort of scam? idk the full details, but yeah...you could probably find it on YouTube. I'm sure it would have been a good game though.

AND NOW...THE CHEETAHMEN.

tigerBLADE
April 15th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Hahaha yeah they pushed that game soooo much. :x They really had faith that it was going to be a "thing". :(

Unfortunately, it didn't turned out as planned; it really could of been the next TMNT.

Speaking of amphibians... did anyone play Battletoads?

http://pics.mobygames.com/images/covers/large/1322859469-00.jpg

Team Fail
April 15th, 2013, 04:30 PM
For the games I can't get, I might get repros or a flashcard to play them. I know of a few games I just can't find that I'd like to get. And if I could, I want to get a Famicom - NES converter pin so I can import Famicom games until I get a Famicom (And hopefully a disk system attachment).

tabor62
April 15th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Hahaha yeah they pushed that game soooo much. :x They really had faith that it was going to be a "thing". :(

Unfortunately, it didn't turned out as planned; it really could of been the next TMNT.

Speaking of amphibians... did anyone play Battletoads?

http://pics.mobygames.com/images/covers/large/1322859469-00.jpg

I have Battletoads & Double Dragon on the Gameboy, does that count?

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a490/tabor62/My%20Videogame%20Collection/Gameboy/BattletoadsampDoubleDragon_zps9261508a.jpg

For the games I can't get, I might get repros or a flashcard to play them. I know of a few games I just can't find that I'd like to get. And if I could, I want to get a Famicom - NES converter pin so I can import Famicom games until I get a Famicom (And hopefully a disk system attachment).

Eh? Aren't the disk attachments expensive as heck? Though I could be wrong.

Team Fail
April 15th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Eh? Aren't the disk attachments expensive as heck? Though I could be wrong.

Cheapest I can find is $40 with free shipping. I also found a Famicom 3D system for about $70 after shipping.

asdfwantthatsodamnmuch.

Algo Fonix
April 16th, 2013, 05:42 AM
I've seen junk FDS being sold for $15 + shipping on forums, but they're a crapshoot. Ones that have been fully serviced easily fetch $100. They're too finicky for my tastes, though.

I plan on getting an Everdrive M8 at some point, due to it having FDS compatibility. I just need to get around to doing a proper AV mod to my Famicom (or just shell out the money for a proper AV Fami) and I should be set.

tabor62
April 19th, 2013, 12:20 PM
I can't believe this actually happened. A woman went into a Goodwill Thrift Store, and walked out with a complete in box copy of Stadium Events. She paid a meager $7.99 for it, a game that's worth between $10,000 and $20,000. I really wish I would have found it first, wherever it was in North Carolina :P

Sources:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57580137-1/goodwill-sells-incredibly-valuable-nes-cartridge-for-dirt-cheap/

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/woman-buys-video-game-could-worth-15-000-220621476.html;_ylt=AvVVAtF2C6cEKQD6VMJ9MdFknet_;_ylu=X3oDMTFpM2xwaG1oBG1pdANTdXBlciBCbG9nIEluZGV4IDE2VQRwb3MDMjAEc2VjA01lZGlhQmxvZ0luZGV4;_ylg=X3oDMTFpMm9iMzh1BGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANibG9nBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

Team Fail
April 20th, 2013, 07:11 PM
I can't believe this actually happened. A woman went into a Goodwill Thrift Store, and walked out with a complete in box copy of Stadium Events. She paid a meager $7.99 for it, a game that's worth between $10,000 and $20,000. I really wish I would have found it first, wherever it was in North Carolina :P

Sources:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57580137-1/goodwill-sells-incredibly-valuable-nes-cartridge-for-dirt-cheap/

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/woman-buys-video-game-could-worth-15-000-220621476.html;_ylt=AvVVAtF2C6cEKQD6VMJ9MdFknet_;_ylu=X3oDMTFpM2xwaG1oBG1pdANTdXBlciBCbG9nIEluZGV4IDE2VQRwb3MDMjAEc2VjA01lZGlhQmxvZ0luZGV4;_ylg=X3oDMTFpMm9iMzh1BGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANibG9nBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

That's crazy. I wish I had that kind of luck.

tigerBLADE
April 20th, 2013, 07:13 PM
That game is pretty rare, haha.

But I really didn't know it was worth that much. @___@; But yeah, that lady is extremely fortunate!

Team Fail
April 21st, 2013, 06:53 AM
If I could get a deal like that on a Famicom, I'd be more than happy to get it haha.

tigerBLADE
April 21st, 2013, 06:57 AM
If I could get a deal like that on a Famicom, I'd be more than happy to get it haha.

Did you ever get those copies of the NWC? Because those are even rarer!

Team Fail
April 21st, 2013, 07:00 AM
Did you ever get those copies of the NWC? Because those are even rarer!

Nah. She was probably pulling my leg on those. Unless I saw them in-person, I'm kinda doubting that she does have them. And even if she did have them, I don't think she'd give them away. I know RetroUSB sells repro copies that run for the 6:19 the competitors had, but having a genuine version with the DIP switches would be cooler.

Treetwig
April 21st, 2013, 07:01 AM
Hey guys I have a question

Gameboy=Portable Nes?

Team Fail
April 21st, 2013, 07:07 AM

Gameboy=Portable Nes?

I know that there is a GB - NES adapter, but I'm not sure you can run NES on a GB.

http://i.imgur.com/htxBgVf.jpg

tigerBLADE
April 21st, 2013, 07:10 AM
Nah. She was probably pulling my leg on those. Unless I saw them in-person, I'm kinda doubting that she does have them. And even if she did have them, I don't think she'd give them away. I know RetroUSB sells repro copies that run for the 6:19 the competitors had, but having a genuine version with the DIP switches would be cooler.

Oh. :(

Well, eh, yeah, maybe she wouldn't of gave them away if she knew the values of them. I think I saw a clear copy of the games, but... those were clear; anyone can get them.

Gameboy=Portable Nes?

Are you asking that the Gameboy is like a portable NES? Not really. Although, interestingly enough, there was a guy who created an actual portable NES:

http://www.benheck.com/Games/Nintendo_projects/NES_Micro/Main_with_game_running.jpg

And it suprisignly worked perfectly. @___@ He even had steps to do it, so maybe you can check it out! Other wise, no, I wouldn't consider the Gameboy to be a portable NES. There was only more ports of the NES games, but those were for the Game Boy Advance.

Team Fail
April 21st, 2013, 07:13 AM
To be honest, I really want a portable NES. I'd buy more NES games just because I'd have more places to play them besides a TV.

tigerBLADE
April 21st, 2013, 07:20 AM
To be honest, I really want a portable NES. I'd buy more NES games just because I'd have more places to play them besides a TV.

Well, there's also the Virtual Console for the 3Ds. We can still purchase NES titles from that, onto our 3Ds, and play NES titles from there.

Though I only bought Balloon Fight so far. :(

Team Fail
April 21st, 2013, 07:22 AM
Well, there's also the Virtual Console for the 3Ds. We can still purchase NES titles from that, onto our 3Ds, and play NES titles from there.

Though I only bought Balloon Fight so far. :(

I have the 10 ambassador games, but I don't really play a lot of them. :c

I'd rather have Tetris to go or Final Fantasy (The NES version). Or even SMB2/3. ofc I could emulate all that but where is the nerdism and nostalgia values?

tabor62
April 21st, 2013, 07:51 AM
I also think that the Ambassador games should have been better. I only play like a third of them (including the GBA ones). I'd have to agree with you about having a physical copy (or at least an official download), it just makes it better with a different reason for everyone of course. No nolstalgia for me though, since I grew up with a Gameboy and not a NES, I just think it's cooler to play with an actual NES.

Team Fail
April 21st, 2013, 07:55 AM
I also think that the Ambassador games should have been better. I only play like a third of them (including the GBA ones). I'd have to agree with you about having a physical copy (or at least an official download), it just makes it better with a different reason for everyone of course. No nolstalgia for me though, since I grew up with a Gameboy and not a NES, I just think it's cooler to play with an actual NES.

I got my NES about 7 years ago, but I had no idea what it was until I managed to get it all running and stuff. I'm really sad to say I once attempted to sell it, but since I had a lack of cables, they wouldn't take it. I guess their refusal was my gain.

tabor62
April 21st, 2013, 08:38 AM
How dare you try and sell your NES? (At least sell it to me, cuz I'm looking for a cheap one :P) Do you play with it at all?

Team Fail
April 21st, 2013, 09:16 AM
How dare you try and sell your NES? (At least sell it to me, cuz I'm looking for a cheap one :P) Do you play with it at all?

I use it now and again when I feel like playing SMB1/2/Tetris/Duck Hunt. I really want to get some repros though.

tigerBLADE
April 21st, 2013, 04:53 PM
Does the NES have the capability to run forever?

I've heard that eventually the Gameboy's cartrage 'battery' would die out... I'm wondering if this holds true for the NES. Because I did have problems re-activating my old NEs from a few years ago.

tabor62
April 21st, 2013, 04:59 PM
Unfortunately NES games also run on an internal battery :(

So you'll have to replace them just like with a Gameboy when they stop saving.

tigerBLADE
April 21st, 2013, 05:06 PM
Unfortunately NES games also run on an internal battery :(

So you'll have to replace them just like with a Gameboy when they stop saving.

Aw, really? That sucks. :(

I was hoping to get a top loader to play the classic NES games since I saw one at a local flea market..
Oh but wait; they would still play, but they'd just stop saving?

tabor62
April 21st, 2013, 05:33 PM
Yeah, so it's fine for games where you don't need to save. But unless you plan to beat The Legend of Zelda in one sitting or never turning off the NES, you'd better replace the battery eventually.

Treetwig
April 22nd, 2013, 04:26 AM
Im playing bomberman on my uncles nes (Wow its still working phew)

TRIFORCE89
April 22nd, 2013, 06:48 PM

Gameboy=Portable Nes?
DMG-001 and NES were both 8-bit platforms, but the Game Boy is not a portable NES.

The Game Boy had a more powerful processor than the NES and was capable of stereo sound output (through headphones). However, it had a smaller screen resolution and was limited to four shades of grey (or green, rather).

Whatever benefits it had was put largely towards the portability. On the whole, the Game Boy is perceived as being inferior to the NES.

Personally, I think the Game Boy had a much greater library of games. I don't think it was due to hardware though. Look some late-gen NES games. Now imagine if that kind of development continued. Basically, developers got better and learned to work within the limitations.

Link's Awakening, for instance, I'd say is better than even its SNES counterpart. The Mega Man games were great. And there were a lot of ports and sequels to NES games that were just as good.

I think the Game Boy Color actually matched, if not surpassed the NES though.

tigerBLADE
April 23rd, 2013, 04:26 AM
Has anyone played Action 52?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/30/Action_52_(NES)_box_art.jpg/220px-Action_52_(NES)_box_art.jpg

God, the price was rediculous even for all those games. XD There was a lot of space shooters. :/

Team Fail
April 23rd, 2013, 04:52 AM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/30/Action_52_(NES)_box_art.jpg/220px-Action_52_(NES)_box_art.jpg

God, the price was rediculous even for all those games. XD There was a lot of space shooters. :/

I saw that on AVGN. It looked awful, although apparently Cheetamen was the only half-decent game on there.

Did you know there was a Genesis version of that as well?

Treetwig
April 23rd, 2013, 05:11 AM

Lol I already played that one the graphics is awful but its fun XD

tigerBLADE
April 23rd, 2013, 05:20 AM
I saw that on AVGN. It looked awful, although apparently Cheetamen was the only half-decent game on there.

Did you know there was a Genesis version of that as well?

Yes, except in that version there were... a lot more puzzles. XD And Pong. :/

I only remember Action 52 because that's where the Cheetah men comes from. I also remember playing that weird game where you have a lollipop as a weapon. It was... weird and frustrating to play. XD

Treetwig
April 23rd, 2013, 05:30 AM
Kid Icarus anyone?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b1/Kid_Icarus_NES_box_art.png

Haha its one of my fave game on nes

tigerBLADE
April 23rd, 2013, 05:36 AM
You mean this game?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b1/Kid_Icarus_NES_box_art.png

Yeah, I've only played it for a little while though, until I got stuck.. somewhere near the beginning, haha. But I'll finish it someday, because I love Kid Icarus for the 3DS, so, I just wonder how the origional Kid Icarus would play out. ^^

Treetwig
April 23rd, 2013, 06:00 AM
Oh do you have Kid icarus:uprising? It is fun and I love the graphics it reminds me of Final fantasy XD

Anyway have you ever heard of atari?

Jak
April 23rd, 2013, 08:50 AM
I'm sure most people that frequent this forum have heard of Atari, haha.

Yeah, I've only played it for a little while though, until I got stuck.. somewhere near the beginning, haha. But I'll finish it someday, because I love Kid Icarus for the 3DS, so, I just wonder how the origional Kid Icarus would play out. ^^

I thought about buying it for VC on my Wii, but it's a bit too late for that now, eh? Haha. I would probably just go off and forget about it, along with the other bajillion games I have on there. v__v

tigerBLADE
April 23rd, 2013, 10:05 AM

I thought about buying it for VC on my Wii, but it's a bit too late for that now, eh? Haha. I would probably just go off and forget about it, along with the other bajillion games I have on there. v__v

It's never too late! =O If you ever get a Wii U, you can still send your data over to it!

I plan to buy it on the VC if I ever get a chance too~

TRIFORCE89
April 23rd, 2013, 02:28 PM
I played the 3D Classics version of Kid Icarus on the 3DS recently. The new (optional) control scheme was a big plus

Atomic Pirate
April 23rd, 2013, 05:00 PM
Ah, the good ol' NES. I'm not even a huge Nintendo fan, and yet I think the NES is a brilliant system. I mean, it brought us timeless classics like Super Mario Bros. 3, which is still a great game, and it innovated the gaming industry.

This was back before Nintendo devolved into remaking the same boring, repetitive "New" Super Mario Bros. every year (Seriously, I don't know why Nintendo fans defend this move but bash CoD for doing the exact same thing). This was back when a new Mario game meant a new adventure.

But seriously, the NES was and still is phenomenal. It brought us so many great games that there are too many to count.

Now the LJN games, on the other hand...

TRIFORCE89
April 23rd, 2013, 08:03 PM
Ah, the good ol' NES. I'm not even a huge Nintendo fan, and yet I think the NES is a brilliant system. I mean, it brought us timeless classics like Super Mario Bros. 3, which is still a great game, and it innovated the gaming industry.

This was back before Nintendo devolved into remaking the same boring, repetitive "New" Super Mario Bros. every year (Seriously, I don't know why Nintendo fans defend this move but bash CoD for doing the exact same thing). This was back when a new Mario game meant a new adventure.

But seriously, the NES was and still is phenomenal. It brought us so many great games that there are too many to count.

In seven years, we've had four NSMB games. And that was one game per console at that. In the same seven years there's been like ten CoD games. Not exactly apples and apples here.

I love the original SMB games and the NSMB just doesn't compare. They're more of a reboot. People probably fell in love with the original NSMB because it was the first game like that since Super Mario Land 2 on the Game Boy. But... it was simply average. NSMBWii was a bit better, more challenging, but still bland. I was not interested in the 3DS's NSMB2 at all and I haven't played it.

But NSMB U? And Luigi U? I want to play those. They look... better. Visually. And from word of mouth I've come across from people who have played it, it is more in line with what they had hoped the original NSMB would have been in the first place.

Jak
April 23rd, 2013, 08:15 PM

Bringing that topic up is going to make everyone cry, lmao. There ain't no pot of gold at the end of that rainbow!

Team Fail
April 23rd, 2013, 08:23 PM

I asked someone if they knew what the Atari was. They had no idea what I was talking about. o__O

As for LJN, I saw a video of some of the games. Dear god they look terrible. About as bad as Action 51.

tabor62
April 23rd, 2013, 08:30 PM
I asked someone if they knew what the Atari was. They had no idea what I was talking about. o__O

As for LJN, I saw a video of some of the games. Dear god they look terrible. About as bad as Action 51.

Maybe they were too young? Or don't take an interest in retro gaming like I do. And woah there, even if LJN games are bad, I wouldn't lower it down to any level near Action 52.

Team Fail
April 23rd, 2013, 08:33 PM
Maybe they were too young? Or don't take an interest in retro gaming like I do. And woah there, even if LJN games are bad, I wouldn't lower it down to any level near Action 52.

Nah, they're in the loop about the NES. And as for LJN, take a look at Back To The Future, then get back to me.

y306cWw98a4

tabor62
April 23rd, 2013, 09:00 PM
Seen it already, and it was a lot more playable than the games in Action 52 no? I'm not saying that they are okay y'know :P

Treetwig
April 23rd, 2013, 09:12 PM
Anyone played megaman?

http://venturebeat.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/megaman2_box-711847.jpg

He looks ridiculous at this box art XD

Captain Falcon
April 23rd, 2013, 09:24 PM
Anyone else amazed by Super Mario Bros 3?

It's almost unbelievable how Nintendo managed to create that game on such a limited system.

tabor62
April 23rd, 2013, 09:52 PM
Anyone played megaman?

Pfft, you think that looks ridiculous? Have you seen the boxart for the first one?
http://pics.mobygames.com/images/covers/large/1104774873-00.jpg

It's almost unbelievable how Nintendo managed to create that game on such a limited system.

I think it was a great game for it's time o 3o Mario's a great game, but I'm not a really big fan. Mostly cuz I suck at these kinds of games haha.

tigerBLADE
April 24th, 2013, 03:29 AM

Actually, I'm kind of not suprised at all; the NES was so influential in the side-scrolling aspect, because of the general great games that it created, like Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros., Castlevania, and so on. But yeah, I really do love Super Mario Bros 3! It was the only mario game that I didn't finish though... :(

Anyone played megaman?

Hah, well, I guess they deciphered him as an actual "Man". :3 Otherwise, I don't think he looks bad at all! Although... he's as tall as Quickman? @__@

Jak
April 24th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Those MegaMan box arts are terrifying tbh. As for SMB3, I actually grew up with the SNES version of it (from Super Mario All-Stars) and it was my favorite game as a kid! :) I have the NES version on VC, and I was playing it the other night actually. So fun! I got the toot. ;3

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BIgO2_fCIAMRz9g.jpg

We always called it the toot instead of the flute or the whistle. I blame this line right here. XD

tigerBLADE
April 24th, 2013, 09:11 AM

Ugh, LJN...

The very same company that brought us The Uncanny X-Men, Wolverine, Jaws, Nightmare on Elm Street, and The Karate Kid. Not to mention the Rollin' Rocker accessory, that had a reputation of causing injuries.

Surprisingly and unfortunately enough, LJN made every single NES game movie adaptation. :x

Jak
April 24th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Surprisingly and unfortunately enough, LJN made every single NES game movie adaptation. :x

Actually, I don't think they had the Star Wars franchise. I may be wrong though.

tigerBLADE
April 24th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Actually, I don't think they had the Star Wars franchise. I may be wrong though.

Oh yeah; except Star Wars and some others I've forgotten.

But still, LJN had the majority of the video game adaptations; they could of gave some other company a try, at least when it came to X-Men for the NES. ;__;

Azure Rathalδs
April 24th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Ohh, the NES. It outright saved the video game industry in the US while in Britain we just used computers like the Commodore 64 and the ZX Spectrum.

I really think that the NES was easily a very important system, plus it's large range of games is rather impressive. Just avoid most of the pirated stuff and you should be fine.

I'll also scoot over here and show you a rather interesting video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXWgk4ooE0Y

The NES was released in a simpler time, so more experimental titles are quite interesting to look back on. I hated how the controller was like a brick and gave you imprints in your hand, but at least later on they introduced a dog-bone like controller for the system.

DavidtheDeadPhilosopher
April 24th, 2013, 09:49 AM
You guys shouldn't be so hard on LJN they made some decent SNE...oh..right NES titles...carry on.

I've played both Super Mario Bros 3 and Megaman, and I finally managed to beat Megaman by my self (Yellow Devil be scorn!)

I remember one year, 2 of my friends and I managed to beat the Original 8. They sure did have alot of games on the Nes! 6 out of 10 of the total series, and 9 and 10 are NES inspired.

Spinosaurus
April 24th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Punch Out is the best NES game. That is all.

Did you know this is the only NES Mario game I haven't ever played? And also one out of two mainline Mario games that I never played. (The other is NSMB2)

Am I weird for playing SMB2 (JP) before it? (Which is pretty awesome) I'm just waiting for it to be released on the 3DS so I can play it on 60hz. I heard so much good things about it and it better delivers.
Pfft, you think that looks ridiculous? Have you seen the boxart for the first one?
http://pics.mobygames.com/images/covers/large/1104774873-00.jpg

Did you know this particular Mega Man was playable (exclusively on PS3, and Vita) in SFxT? You should have seen the reactions. It was hilarious.

But NSMB U? And Luigi U? I want to play those. They look... better. Visually. And from word of mouth I've come across from people who have played it, it is more in line with what they had hoped the original NSMB would have been in the first place.
I was playing NSMB Wii two weeks before U's release here in Europe but I thought it was so bland and uninspired that I never bothered to finish it, again. But U? I adored it. I actually find NSMBU to be the best Mario platformer after finishing it, including the 3D platformers, but take that as you will. The level design is the best I've seen, even if the presentation is still left to be desired. I'm really looking forward for Super Luigi U. And the challenge mode could give you tons of fun for hours.

I also tried playing NSMB Wii after it STILL but to no avail.

Jak
April 24th, 2013, 11:14 AM

The music immediately came to mind just now, haha.

Did you know this is the only NES Mario game I haven't ever played? And also one out of two mainline Mario games that I never played. (The other is NSMB2)

Am I weird for playing SMB2 (JP) before it? (Which is pretty awesome) I'm just waiting for it to be released on the 3DS so I can play it on 60hz. I heard so much good things about it and it better delivers.

I play games out of order all the time, so it's not strange to me, just nice to see someone else playing in the "not so correct" order haha. But I'm sure you will enjoy SMB3. Perhaps I'm a bit biased since like I said, it was one of my first games and my favorite game in general for a long time. Strangely enough, it's the overworlds that really do it for me. I love the design, the music, and how the levels themselves intertwine with the overworld. It's wonderful! :)

tigerBLADE
April 24th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Personally, I would say that the best and my own favourite NES game would have to be the original Legend of Zelda, since, well, I remember all of the secrets that were within the game, and I was one of those Zelda fans who would know that land of Hyrule ike the back of my hand~ But it was pretty fun to play! <3

Did you know this particular Mega Man was playable (exclusively on PS3, and Vita) in SFxT? You should have seen the reactions. It was hilarious.

Really? oo;
I can imagine the reations of people.. XD

"How does this look like megaman?!" Or something like that. :3

Spinosaurus
April 24th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Personally, I would say that the best and my own favourite NES game would have to be the original Legend of Zelda, since, well, I remember all of the secrets that were within the game, and I was one of those Zelda fans who would know that land of Hyrule ike the back of my hand~ But it was pretty fun to play! <3
You know I never liked that game. It's the only NES game that I played (well, it and another one) that didn't really feel like it aged well. It pretty much throws you in a huge world while not giving any objectives and just wants you to explore things on your own. Now I can see the appeal, but I don't have the time or patience for that. And I suck at the game, apparently, I can't stop dying. Maybe if I played it when I was a kid I'd have loved it, but today? No thank you.

The other game is, ironically enough, Zelda 2. But that game was awful.

Really? oo;
I can imagine the reations of people.. XD

"How does this look like megaman?!" Or something like that. :3
See it yourself. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FwecG0-e0Y)
People are still mad apparently.

tigerBLADE
April 25th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Has anyone heard of Super Noah's Arc 3D?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-IehJK4NpNNg/TjSSPsPMjUI/AAAAAAAAEWU/aEl6bDXZ9k4/s400/Super+Noah%2527s+ARK+3D+Super+Nintendo.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CmC7CPqdBHk/TjSRoCq9mRI/AAAAAAAAEWM/cH0AMLiK_bo/s400/super+noah%2527s+ark+3D+SNES.png

As you can see, It's exactly like Wolfenstein 3D. What was up with that? @__@

Jak
April 25th, 2013, 01:19 PM
James explained it in an AVGN episode how Id gave over the source code for Wolfenstein 3D to Wisdom Tree and they redid some stuff and this was the result. Id was apparently mad at Nintendo for borking the SNES version of Wolfenstein 3D.

tigerBLADE
April 25th, 2013, 01:30 PM
James explained it in an AVGN episode how Id gave over the source code for Wolfenstein 3D to Wisdom Tree and they redid some stuff and this was the result. Id was apparently mad at Nintendo for borking the SNES version of Wolfenstein 3D.

Oh; I didn't see that episode of AVGN, hence why I was surprised. :(

I just found it weird how they made that game for the SNES, and made it a clone of another game, when Konami made an entirely different Noah's Arc game for the NES:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/88/Noah%27s_Ark_NES_cover.jpg

I just thought that... Konami would make it a refurbished edition on the SNES, from that NES game.

tabor62
April 25th, 2013, 06:29 PM

Actually that's just a rumor, not confirmed, but not entirely impossible of course. Id like to know the truth, hoping it was true.

TRIFORCE89
April 25th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Has anyone heard of Super Noah's Arc 3D?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-IehJK4NpNNg/TjSSPsPMjUI/AAAAAAAAEWU/aEl6bDXZ9k4/s400/Super+Noah%2527s+ARK+3D+Super+Nintendo.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CmC7CPqdBHk/TjSRoCq9mRI/AAAAAAAAEWM/cH0AMLiK_bo/s400/super+noah%2527s+ark+3D+SNES.png

As you can see, It's exactly like Wolfenstein 3D. What was up with that? @__@
I think I came across a box for that game (don't think it looked like that though) at a video game rental store long long ago

Jak
April 26th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Actually that's just a rumor, not confirmed, but not entirely impossible of course. Id like to know the truth, hoping it was true.

Yeah, I really wouldn't doubt it if it was true. It's entirely plausible.

I think I came across a box for that game (don't think it looked like that though) at a video game rental store long long ago

That's a scary thought. XD

tigerBLADE
April 28th, 2013, 03:18 PM
So I actually found a copy of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. They sold it for 2 dollars. @__@;;

Anywho, did anyone play the "lost worlds" on the NES Super Mario Bros.? I never did, but, I got it for the VC on my 3DS. Is it really that hard?

TRIFORCE89
April 28th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Do you mean The Lost Levels?

If so, on the NES (or FDS, rather) it is hard. If you play the All-Stars version (or 3DS VC with save states) then it is much more manageable because you can save and don't have to restart the entire game when you lose.

tigerBLADE
April 28th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Do you mean The Lost Levels?

If so, on the NES (or FDS, rather) it is hard. If you play the All-Stars version (or 3DS VC with save states) then it is much more manageable because you can save and don't have to restart the entire game when you lose.

Ah, yes, that's what I meant. :3

All I heard about it was that it had more things like poison mushrooms and different turns to the levels, and things like that. For a Mario game, I just couldn't imagine how hard it can possibly be ever since playing some of the later versions of Super Mario Bros. (like the one for the 3DS).

TRIFORCE89
April 28th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Ah, yes, that's what I meant. :3

All I heard about it was that it had more things like poison mushrooms and different turns to the levels, and things like that. For a Mario game, I just couldn't imagine how hard it can possibly be ever since playing some of the later versions of Super Mario Bros. (like the one for the 3DS).
Well, they're not "different turns". It isn't SMB: Hard Version (that would be the old arcade "VS" edition of the game). It is a new game. It is a sequel. In Japan it is labelled as Super Mario Bros. 2. It's just a lot harder than the first game (and any of the sidescroller Mario games that came after it)

The original SMB was eight worlds long in length, with four levels within each world. The Lost Levels has 13 worlds! And all of the levels are new.

There are poison mushrooms, yes. Also wind gusts that screw up your jumps if you're not expecting them. And this game has Piranha Plants that don't wait for you, unlike the first game.

DavidtheDeadPhilosopher
April 28th, 2013, 05:28 PM
The Lost Levels is without a doubt the most difficult Mario experience, the only time I've managed to beat it was when it was an unlock as part of Super Mario Bros DX for the GBC, which allowed you to save your progress.

TRIFORCE89
April 28th, 2013, 05:30 PM
The Lost Levels is without a doubt the most difficult Mario experience, the only time I've managed to beat it was when it was an unlock as part of Super Mario Bros DX for the GBC, which allowed you to save your progress.
It also cut out the wind gusts and some of the other unique features. I don't think it had every level either.

DavidtheDeadPhilosopher
April 28th, 2013, 05:35 PM
I don't think it did either, in fact I'm fairly certain it only had 9 Worlds. I don't remember if the wind gusts were there or not. I havn't touched that version of the game for well over 10 years >_>

Team Fail
April 28th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Yeah. The 9th world was unlocked by playing the first 8 worlds without using a Warp Zone. And yeah. The wind really throws a curveball in the Mario physics. Especially for the old games.

Spinosaurus
April 29th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Doesn't the start + A trick (the one that lets you just start the world you died in instead of the whole game) works on The Lost Levels? I've been pretty much abusing the save states so I wouldn't know.

TRIFORCE89
April 29th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Doesn't the start + A trick (the one that lets you just start the world you died in instead of the whole game) works on The Lost Levels? I've been pretty much abusing the save states so I wouldn't know.
I actually wasn't familiar with that trick until a couple of weeks ago! XD

So, maybe? Does it save when you turn the console off? I think it might since it was FDS.

tigerBLADE
April 29th, 2013, 08:42 AM
So I started to play the game, and... it's quite troublesome to finish. XD A poison mushroom almost got me like, 5 times since it was quite tricky to jump where I want to. :x

That makes me think of a side question - Did you guys think that NES games are way harder than the later gen. games for systems like Nintendo Wii and Gamecube?

Jak
April 29th, 2013, 09:09 AM
That makes me think of a side question - Did you guys think that NES games are way harder than the later gen. games for systems like Nintendo Wii and Gamecube?

To be honest, I think it depends on the game. Most games back then were shorter at least, but also, you have to consider the time period. Now we have LPs, walkthroughs online, etc and back then it was just Nintendo Power essentially. So that being said, I think it felt harder back then because you knew there was no other way to figure out certain things in games. Now you can just look it up. If you don't give yourself that right however, then I think it's about the same.

As far as certain series go, I would say Kirby games got harder. They were relatively short back then and didn't have all these collectibles to get to unlock the real ending of the game (like Crystal Shards and Return to Dreamland, for example). So I think that makes it easier. Whereas with Mario games, I'd say it was harder back then since you're kind of given a billion extra lives nowadays, like in NSMBW. But in, say, SMB3, it was much more difficult to get ahold of them, as well as items throughout the stages.

Spinosaurus
April 29th, 2013, 11:11 AM
I actually wasn't familiar with that trick until a couple of weeks ago! XD

I actually only knew about it last december. It was mindblowing for me, haha, and I actually immediately booted up SMB to try it out. Made me consider a full playthrough without using warps.

So I think that makes it easier. Whereas with Mario games, I'd say it was harder back then since you're kind of given a billion extra lives nowadays, like in NSMBW. But in, say, SMB3, it was much more difficult to get ahold of them, as well as items throughout the stages.
I really don't think that's fair. The amount of lives doesn't really determine the difficulty since it's more of a level design thing for platformers in my opinion. Rayman Origins and Super Meat Boy don't even have lives (Origins even got checkpoints all over) but they're much harder than the original SMB because the level designs are more trial and error focused compared to SMB being streamlined. Granted I haven't played SMB3 as I mentioned before, but NSMB U is probably the most challenging Mario game I've played and I had well over 60 lives. OK, Lost Levels and Sunshine (where lives weren't even important) are obviously harder, but you get my point.

The lives system and lives being sparse is just an archaic system back in the day that replaced proper difficulty and re playability due to the lack of better technology, like RPGs with random encounters. (Can you BELIEVE some RPGs still got this? *coughpokemoncough*) It wasn't hard, it was just annoying. That's why I'm glad that games that still uses lives like DKCR (which is also pretty challenging) and NSMB always give you a ton of them anyway. Also, for the sake of another example, Wario Land 1 is the only Wario platformer with lives and it's the easiest. (You can't even DIE in some of them, like WL2)

TRIFORCE89
April 29th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Games are more refined now. How archaic some games were back then lead to their difficulty, but that's like... artificially difficult. Bad game design. Developers know better now for the most part

Miss Doronjo
May 1st, 2013, 02:32 PM
Honestly, I was playing the Megaman games for the NES, and I found them to be more difficult than the future Megaman titles (like the one for Playstation). So, I at least think that while the NES games may be shorter in length, some of them do make up for in difficulty... to an extent. That's what I thought anyway.

tabor62
May 2nd, 2013, 10:05 PM
Well I've never played with an actual NES myself (only emulators and the Ambassador Program ones), but I definitely think that older games are harder than games of this generation. Though like TRIFORCE has said, in a lot of cases the games are more difficult because of a design flaw or limitations.

Miss Doronjo
May 3rd, 2013, 05:19 AM
What kinds of music from the NES games did you guys enjoy the most?

Personally, I love the dungeon theme from the NES Legend of Zelda, because of it's notsalgic, dark feel to it:

cMssCMqMHuk

Stages 1&6 from Batman: Return of the Joker also deserves a mention; because I do love the rhythm:

LkD9NcOjtWw

tabor62
May 4th, 2013, 11:34 PM
Some of my favorite music comes from the Castlevania series:

Castlevania - Vampire Killer

JYfgpodCVHE

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - Bloody Tears

e2oZtvjg5oA

Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse - Beginning

78706bv98S8

Spinosaurus
May 5th, 2013, 02:54 AM
The one and only
VE8vKLEK6A8

Though, the training music deserves a mention too.
HE8pyBoFdww

Sorta off-topic, but I really love the Wii game's remix of the first theme as well. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndaP9iieaok)

DavidtheDeadPhilosopher
May 5th, 2013, 08:55 PM
All those songs are classics! I adore the music in Castlevania and Punchout! That Batman track was pretty cool too. Some of my personal favorites.

Legend of Kage- Main Theme (I couldn't find the Nes Version as a stand alone song so silent gameplay was the next best thing.)

E82F45F4_Y4

Megaman II-Dr. Wily's Castle Stage 1

WJRoRt155mA

Team Fail
May 5th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Oh gosh music? My list would be too long. Let me name a few games and I'll go into specifics later.

-Akumanjou Densetsu (Castlevania for the Famicom - the music is better in this one)
-Mouryou Senki MADARA (Famicom JRPG)
-Tetris (Tengen and Nintendo)
-Final Fantasy
-SMB3
-Final Fantasy III (Famicom)
-Legend of Zelda
-Batman

...And probably others I'm missing.

Sylphiel
May 5th, 2013, 10:03 PM
I'm sitting here thinking about music I've remembered from NES games, and what comes to mind firstly is...Mega Man games. Or maybe some Zelda music (from the second game, mostly. Go go castle theme?), but mostly Mega Man music. Especially if they're from the 2nd or 3rd games, since those struck a chord most with me when I was younger. I never got a chance to play the other games until some years later, so the tunes haven't stuck with me as much.

I mean, Mario and Zelda music and the like are nice, but a lot didn't have the same...action, I suppose? as some of those pieces. So they're classics and I like them, but...they're not the songs getting stuck in my head randomly even to this day. :D

Megaman II-Dr. Wily's Castle Stage 1
^^^ LIKE THIS ONE. So much love.

Or another favorite of mine from the second game, Wood Man's Theme:
JbK2uCp4-sQ

(Now I'm gonna want to go listening to all the music again thanks to that.)

DavidtheDeadPhilosopher
May 6th, 2013, 08:32 AM
. Or maybe some Zelda music (from the second game, mostly. Go go castle theme?)

I totally forgot about the Temple Theme, How could I have forgotten about the temple theme....>_>

7a7Sh82Mzdc

or the stage select music for Megaman II...got me pumped every...single...time

rHZFJ2kfHko

or the Dragon Quest Main Theme, so amazing, it hasn't changed in...ever!

Krr7jLRp-qs

Passenger
May 6th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Blaster Master - Area 1
LUnwRFMo6D0

Contra - Stage 8
Yr5ofdFAEI8

And the best I've heard of all time:
Kick Master - Final Part 1
7YdaBWa4ykA

KriegStein
May 6th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Music from nes. Well my favourites are these:
Ninja gaiden I-III Couldnt choose any particular songs.
Contra stage 5. And Contra Force boss.
Castlevania I-III many tracks again.
Super Mario Bros III Airship.

tabor62
May 10th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Does anyone own the first Final Fantasy on the NES and have beaten it? I want to try it out on a real console sometime, but I don't know anyone with an NES ;.;

Astinus
May 11th, 2013, 08:38 PM
I tried it, but I was too young to really play it, so I didn't get far. Maybe I'll try again some day.

On the topic of NES music, I have to say that MegaMan 2 probably has the soundtrack that sticks with me. I find myself randomly singing FlashMan's theme, and BubbleMan's theme is excellent. And that opening theme as the camera rises over the city. (Guess what game I just got done playing! Which amuses me because the game takes place in the year 200X.)

And I have to give a nod to ElecMan's theme from the first MegaMan. Ain't nothing like a Journey reference!

Team Fail
May 11th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Does anyone own the first Final Fantasy on the NES and have beaten it? I want to try it out on a real console sometime, but I don't know anyone with an NES ;.;

I had it, but I could never figure out the "Hold Reset while you power off" saving thing. So I Game Genie'd through it because it'd be hard enough trying to play it while only saving at inns.

Ragetendo
May 11th, 2013, 10:57 PM

If you want a NES try looking for them in thrift stores/goodwill/swapmeet(flear market).I found all my stuff from there since my original consoles were stolen as a kid...bad neighborhoods lol But i sure did enjoy the old stuff, maybe one day i will beat mike tyson or beat ninja gaiden lol

tabor62
May 12th, 2013, 12:00 AM
If you want a NES try looking for them in thrift stores/goodwill/swapmeet(flear market).I found all my stuff from there since my original consoles were stolen as a kid...bad neighborhoods lol But i sure did enjoy the old stuff, maybe one day i will beat mike tyson or beat ninja gaiden lol

Wow, Ninja Gaiden is a pretty lofty goal haha. And the area I'm in doesn't seem to have a lot of retro stuff. Oldest stuff I've found here was Gameboy stuff (not including video game stores since they're all marktet or overpriced anyhow).

Miss Doronjo
May 12th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Isn't the NES Ninja Gaiden... really, really, hard? XD

Ragetendo
May 12th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Wow, Ninja Gaiden is a pretty lofty goal haha. And the area I'm in doesn't seem to have a lot of retro stuff. Oldest stuff I've found here was Gameboy stuff (not including video game stores since they're all marktet or overpriced anyhow).

That sucks, i was able to get 2 NES (just consoles) for $10 and i just refurbished them. ebay is a lot of the times overpriced but i find swapmeets to have decent prices since most don't know what they have. i was able to get a $70 game for $8 all because the guy didn't know what he had.

And yes Ninja Giaden is hard because of poor enemy locations plus them respawning if you exit frame, and the end boss is a total S.O.B.Still really fun game lol

tabor62
May 12th, 2013, 05:08 PM
That sucks, i was able to get 2 NES (just consoles) for $10 and i just refurbished them. ebay is a lot of the times overpriced but i find swapmeets to have decent prices since most don't know what they have. i was able to get a $70 game for $8 all because the guy didn't know what he had.

And yes Ninja Giaden is hard because of poor enemy locations plus them respawning if you exit frame, and the end boss is a total S.O.B.Still really fun game lol

Maybe you should try and beat all three on the NES? ;3 If you've played all three, which one did you think was the hardest?

Ragetendo
May 12th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Maybe you should try and beat all three on the NES? ;3 If you've played all three, which one did you think was the hardest?

Honestly they are all hard Ninja Gaiden is known for being a difficult game series. my favorite though is 1

KriegStein
May 12th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Ive actualy played them all. I can say that the 3rd is the hardest due to the lack of infinite continues. The 1st is of course hard and so is the 2nd. My favourite is the 2nd. Thats the one I have played the most of the three. :D
On the topic of hard nes titles: Anyone else played contra and contra force (super c)?

Ragetendo
May 12th, 2013, 10:53 PM
Anyone else played contra and contra force (super c)?

Yep Super C is in my NES right now, love contra

Team Fail
May 13th, 2013, 04:49 AM
Some of my favorite music comes from the Castlevania series:

Castlevania - Vampire Killer

JYfgpodCVHE

I'll play you up one and show you the same song, on the Japanese version of the game with an additional sound chip:

TecRb1nYrSE

Anyways, I really need to pick up my NES again and play it. I might see if I can get some imports and play those, although I may have to mod my NES to get some games working (Like the sound chip in that Castlevania song) working properly. It's a simple mod, though.

Penta Penguin
May 13th, 2013, 02:00 PM
I never owned a NES, but I did used to play my older cousin's NES back when I was 6, and to be honest, it's just a blur as to what I played back then. But yes, the games were a lot harder compared to what they are now.

As for favorite musics on the NES,

gv9k9_IIqDk

VXiN1kAskcc

This one I can only link the exact time because apparently, the music hasn't been seperated.

http://youtu.be/CmFZds1u_zI?t=5m31s (http://youtu.be/CmFZds1u_zI?t=5m30s)
This is the final boss music from Adventures of Lolo 3.

Miss Doronjo
May 15th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Looking at the usage of sprites from the NES.. let's say that the NES was continued to this modern day. Would you guys prefer the sprite-like graphics from the NES, compared to the graphics from say, Xbox 360, or PS3?

Well, this is a bit-like question, yes. XD How many bits did the NES have? I think eight? Well, would you guys prefer a eight bit game rather than improved graphics, so long as the game is good? Or would you guys expect more?

TRIFORCE89
May 15th, 2013, 05:14 PM
I wouldn't necessarily want NES-quality graphics, but I do wish there were more sprite games on the market. SNES/GBA quality

Ragetendo
May 15th, 2013, 05:44 PM
To be honest yes, because it can show that graphics don't make a game It's a supporting feature. Due to the lack of resources NES games had to be challenging and fun....some companies failed *cough* LJN *cough* But because they couldn't rely on graphics to keep the consumers mind preoccupied they had to make a good game or fail like LJN. Not to say there isn't good modern games, I've got a few favorite modern games, but its like there's been a big shift to graphics > Substance. There was graphical concerns in the 80's and 90's but it was dwarfed by the actual games, take Super Mario Bros vs Super Mario Bros 3...Super Mario Bros clearly has inferior graphics but its still one of the most loved games of all time...Why?....Well one reason is nostalgia other is very addictive gameplay. So to answer the question Would i want 8bit back...If they made high caliber games like metroid,zelda,mario than yes. Maybe its just me the old school gamer who doesn't want to let the 8Bit-16Bit die.

DavidtheDeadPhilosopher
May 16th, 2013, 11:50 AM

I never managed to beat it while I still owned the title, eventually the save battery on the cartridge died so I was left with no motivation to re-play it after getting a good ways in.

I'm acually working on Ninja Gaiden 1 now, although I'm playing it on VC, the enemy placement in that game is rather horrid. I prefer Castlevania, which might be slightly easier, but relies far less on twitch reflexes. (IMO)

While I do like 8-bit graphics, I feel like 2D gameplay really hits it's stride in 16-bit. (SNES/Genesis)

Team Fail
June 1st, 2013, 06:56 AM
I never managed to beat it while I still owned the title, eventually the save battery on the cartridge died so I was left with no motivation to re-play it after getting a good ways in.

Did you ever use that hold-reset-while-you-power-off-to-save thing? I can't figure it out haha.