PDA

View Full Version : The Football Discussion Thread!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

shenanigans
March 27th, 2013, 06:28 AM
Since the old one died I'm gonna make a new one and it'll be wonderful.

So yeah - a thread dedicated to any and all discussion of the beautiful game! That's football, by the way. Talk about the teams you love or hate, the leagues you follow, the players you take interest in and just about anything else to do with this sport.

Particularly interesting for me right now is the 2014 World Cup qualifiers! Anyone else?

Captain Fabio
March 27th, 2013, 06:32 AM
Sorry, never heard of this soccer thing.

So, Football. WC'14 has been rough for England. Last nights performance, as a whole, was just painful and heart renching to watch. :(

shenanigans
March 27th, 2013, 06:37 AM
Idk some weird people seem to think it's a thing so I thought I'd just mention it. *shrug*

I didn't watch all of that match but the part I was paying attention to, I think I remember us being 1-0 up and thinking "...how the hell did this happen?". We were weeeeeak from what I saw, but admittedly that was only part of it. How'd the match finish in any case?

Nathan
March 27th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Valdes did great yesterday for once against France. I prefer Ferdinand-Terry over Smalling-Lescott.

Ryoutarou
March 27th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Was watching the Mexico v. America game last night, I feel bad for Mexico right now. We can't close against freaking Jamaica or America.

Nathan
March 27th, 2013, 12:12 PM
How did the match end? On the other side, Argentina managed to do a tie with Bolivia.

IKawaiiThief
March 27th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Okay, WC '14 Qualifiers! England show their lack of focus and concentration when they think they're home and hosed in their 1-1 draw with the mighty Montenegro, Spain did a lot better than in the Finland match in their 1-0 win over France, Valdes and Monreal in particular having great games, Argentina will be disappointed about their 1-1 draw in La Paz with Bolivia, especially when you take into consideration Lionel Messi had a 1 VS 1 chance missed, but a massive improvement from their 6-1 loss there in La Paz some time ago though, and it's not the end of the world, they're still in control of their own destiny and doing great. Haven't really heard about the other qualis as yet though.

Nathan
March 31st, 2013, 06:07 AM
I watched Liga yesterday and both Barca and Real had a tie.

Went
March 31st, 2013, 07:17 AM
They don't give a crap about the League anymore. Barça have won and Madrid have lost so why care about it when there is CL this week?

Also: ZmKUkVGtQyA

Bayern Munich 9-2 Hambourg

NINE

Nathan
March 31st, 2013, 07:37 AM
Juventus will have quite a pain against this team.

shenanigans
April 1st, 2013, 10:55 AM
[01/04/2013 19:54:02] Razor Leaf: walllll
[01/04/2013 19:54:07] Razor Leaf: chelsea knock united out of the fa cup
[01/04/2013 19:54:09] Razor Leaf: discuss
[01/04/2013 19:54:18] Went: oh, how was it?
[01/04/2013 19:54:25] Razor Leaf: chelsea 1 - 0 united
[01/04/2013 19:54:28] Went: last thing I saw at work, it was 0-0 by HT
[01/04/2013 19:54:42] Razor Leaf: scored off a goal which was either fantastic or pot luck
[01/04/2013 19:54:44] Razor Leaf: you decide

Penta Penguin
April 1st, 2013, 02:47 PM
I was pleased with the result of that replay. There were so many times that Chelsea should have been 2-0 up.And what a great save from Cech also! Fantastic, that's all I can say.

Ducklighter
April 1st, 2013, 08:40 PM
Can we just appreciate the fact that Cardiff may just well be the first Welsh football team to be promoted to the Premiership instantly without being in the playoffs. Go bloody Cardiff!

Nathan
April 2nd, 2013, 12:41 PM
And now Barca did a tie 2-2 with PSG thanks to an error of Valdes. Barca : Messi/Xavi(p.k.) and PSG : Zlatan/Matuidi
Juventus lost against Bayern 2-0. Bayern : Alaba/Muller.

Went
April 3rd, 2013, 08:42 AM
It wasn't a mistake from Valdés, it was Bartra who deflected the ball and made him miss. Just a bunch of bad luck- Bartra should have never been on the pitch but for Mascherano's injury. Add that the first PSG goal was offside and Messi's injury and you can see how almost everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong for Barça- and still they didn't lose, which doesn't speak very well for PSG. I give them a 30% chance of doing anything at the Camp Nou- even less if Messi gets better by then, and I'm pretty sure he'll play the second half if he isn't well enough to stand the entire thing.

Bayern looks pretty much set though.

Itstoppedatumbreon
April 4th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Anyway, atop the Npower championship, on Tuesday Watford beat hull 1-0. That leaves the RedBlueDragonBirds (Cardiff) lying 7 points above Hull and 8 above Watford, with a game in hand. God, after these past few yeards of being so close, can Malkay stop the end of year **** up, and just win the bloody league!

Mr. Avocado
April 7th, 2013, 05:45 AM
As a Lithuanian, qualification for the World Cup would be amazing in itself. We do have a slight chance but that relies on smaller teams losing and us winning all of our remaining fixtures, maybe we can draw one.

I hope Ghana end up in the same group as Uruguay in the World Cup and then knock them out in the last game, that would be just given what happened last time when Suarez handballed a header off the line and then cheered like a madman when Gyan missed from the spot and Uruguay went on the eventually win. Oh how I despise Suarez...

EDIT: 2 derbies today; the first is the Manchester derby, well worth the watch even if you're not English. Second, my joint favorite team Lazio go against Roma in the Rome derby. If we win, we go 4th ahead of Inter and Fiorentina. But if we lose, Roma jump ahead of us.

It was sad to see the Fenerbahce 2 - 0 Lazio scoreline, hopefully we can mend things when we bring the tie to the Stadio Olimpico. Game on.

Nuke
April 9th, 2013, 04:50 AM
I can't believe this died while I was gone. Get it together guys!

Anyway, time to do my classic Middlesbrough monopolising of the thread. Well I would but we're pretty depressing to talk about at the moment, 8 points in all of 2013 which would mean we'd be last by some distance if the season started in January, yet somehow we're only down to ninth.

So I'd rather just say Mancini thinks he needed more signings to win the title, yet he spent more than United this season anyway. It's amazing that he isn't among the various sackings this season yet.

Kristoph
April 9th, 2013, 01:18 PM
How can you lose a match when you are winning 1-2 with away goals advantage with 4 minutes of injury time to go.

I know how Bayern folks felt in the legendary Camp Nou final VS United. Except this was just a quarterfinal, but damn.

Don Manuel Pellegrini deserves to win something- what he manages to do with newbie teams in the CL is amazing.

Weeaboo Name
April 10th, 2013, 03:10 PM
i'm somewhat back, the ps3 browser sucks but i guess i'll live.

football has not been so great at carrow road recently, i guess lots of draws will probably see us safe. also signed a dutch forward from lisbon, broken our record transfer fee 2 seasons in a row. might be cool.

Nuke
April 10th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Van Wolfswinkel should help Norwich get on to the next level in the Premiership.

A couple more players like him should mean they're looking up at the Europa places rather than down at relegation in a few years.

Penta Penguin
April 10th, 2013, 04:05 PM
As a Lithuanian, qualification for the World Cup would be amazing in itself. We do have a slight chance but that relies on smaller teams losing and us winning all of our remaining fixtures, maybe we can draw one.

It's a big ask, considering Lithuania have only won 1 game and that was against Liechtenstein.

Looking at the qualifications, in the AFC, I really hope Jordan makes it. Lebanon is also a big ask, because it's their first time in the 4th round of qualifying. In the CAF, I'd like to see Egypt make it too, and hopefully do better in the finals. in the CONCACAF, Panama is doing very well, like to see them in it too. In the CONMEBOL, I'm very surprised Uruguay is in the bottom half of the table. In the OFC, has to be New Zealand. and finally, in the UEFA, I want to see Croatia through, and in Group E, This will be interesting because there are 3 countries that have never been in the finals, so I hope they make it. Go Iceland, Albania, and Cyprus. :D

Weeaboo Name
April 10th, 2013, 04:16 PM
only seen rvw play once and he scored a hattie. the braga defence and awful downpour did do him some favours though. his record all be it in holland and portugal l is pretty good, hoping he'll be our michu.

last summer was obviously about fixing the defence, a few thrashings aside he's done that. some attacking additions really should see us looking up. would be hard to take pilkington, snoddy, hoolahan and johnson out of the midfield, if tettey recaptures some of that early form he'd be hard to drop also. i guess dropping one of the defensive midfielders, at least whilst playing at home would work.

lots of rumours about a dutch kid joining. marco van ginkel iirc. haven't watched the dutch league in 7 or 8 years so obviously don't know how likely this is.

tough time for your lot right now it seems, to be in the top 10 after that last few months sure is something though. any optimism for next season?

Nathan
April 10th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Champions League quarterfinals are over. Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern and Borussia are in the semi finals. Those semifinal will be really exciting!

Nuke
April 10th, 2013, 04:27 PM
I can't say I've heard of Van Ginkel personally, but I'm sure Hughton and his team know what they're doing. Anyway, teams like Norwich and Swansea doing well just goes to show stability is infinitely more important than 'quality' sometimes, if you compare their cases to QPR you get what I mine.

It's a bit of an odd situation at the moment, some want the manager but many don't because he's a club legend, if he wasn't he'd definitely have been out by now. Next season he'll have to work to cut our wages even more and save some money for the new finance rules, but on the plus side the players we need to sell to get some money are Emnes & Williams who are both absolutely terrible so I'll be happy if we raise some cash from them. As always in the Championship, anything could happen, but I think we've missed our good chances to go up in these past two seasons and we're going to have to wait a while now.

Bayern vs Dortmund & Madrid vs Barca would be a mouthwatering draw.

Weeaboo Name
April 10th, 2013, 04:46 PM
he's 20, an important player for vitesse arnhem and has a full cap to his name. apparently linked to everton as well as norwich now.

stability is certainly the way forward. qpr are crazy and deserve everything they get. i wonder which mug chairman will hire 'arry next.

the championship is indeed impossible to call. wolves and blackburn, jeez.

hoping for an all german final tbh.

Nuke
April 10th, 2013, 04:54 PM
I don't know what happened to Wolves, but Blackburn is pretty understandable. Especially when reading things like this. (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2306573/Financial-picture-Blackburn-Venkys-revealed--Exclusive.html)

The fact that Blackburn or Wolves could either be relegated or even finish in the top half gives an idea of how ridiculously close the Championship is this year.

I'm not sure if you've read about the call for a minute of silence for Margaret Thatcher's death, but that seems like a terrible idea. I would personally uphold it, but I'm sure boos would ring around the Riverside and various other grounds in Britain if they went through with it.

shenanigans
April 10th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Ugh, they're having a minute's silence for that? I've no real opinion towards the whole thing but that's just... no. When we apparently can't even have a minute's silence for Hillsborough (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2130245/Hillsborough-tragedy-Chelsea-fans-shout-murderers-silence-mark-23rd-anniversary.html) I really imagine something so controversial just bombing and pissing a whole load of people off. It's unrelated to football and not something everyone can agree on; leave it out, imo.

Nuke
April 10th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Minute silences are becoming a bit of a ridiculous honour anyway, we're finding increasing amount of things to dedicate a minute of silence for and few relate to football anymore.

As it stands, some rugby teams are holding a silence and the Wigan & Reading chairman both believe there should be one in English football, but no clubs are obligated to hold one. It makes no sense really considering the difference in opinion of her and since her decisions relating to football tended to be poor.

Weeaboo Name
April 10th, 2013, 05:08 PM
>Dickson Etuhu is understood to earn £30,000 per week
li liked him but no way near as much as that. good for him though. haha.

looks like cardiff are finally going to make the step up. always liked them more than swanselona.

boos would ring around a fair few grounds and a mins applause is out of the question. don't think it'll happen, or should happen.

shenanigans
April 10th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Thatcher just seems a very hot topic to be avoiding right now, haha. And no way in hell do I want political views brought into football any more than they (arguably) already are. To acknowledge the minute's silence would be to mourn her death for those against her and I just can't see that happening. Way too risky and honestly, pointless a move in football.

Minute silences are becoming a bit of a ridiculous honour anyway, we're finding increasing amount of things to dedicate a minute of silence for and few relate to football anymore.

Indeed. I mean, if it's related to football (such as Hillsborough or in memory of a player/manager/whoever) then by all means do it when and where is relevant but leave it at that. Football's got history which we should definitely be embracing but there's no need at all to be dragging in external stuff. We do just fine without it.

Weeaboo Name
April 10th, 2013, 05:23 PM
away from football there are very few people i'd be for giving a moments silence for at a football game. maybe only david attenborough, actually.

Went
April 10th, 2013, 10:55 PM
I really, really, really hope there isn't another clásico in the semis. I'm so horribly tired of them :( I'd rather have two Germany VS Spain draws and specially hope one of each gets kicked out on the way. As annoying as a semi would be, I don't think I would be able to survive a Madrid - Barça final.

Also if Borussia makes it to the final, I'm hoping for a Bayern 1999 ending for them.

Nuke
April 11th, 2013, 03:02 AM
I suppose I'm not too bothered about who draws who as long as Barcelona don't reach the final.

I can't deal with another final of boredom and I definitely don't want to see them win again.

Went
April 11th, 2013, 07:15 AM
I'd like Bayern to win. I think they deserve their damn 5th cup, specially after their last 15 years :\

Seriously, losing a final in a shootout and another one with two injury time goals is not nice.

Nuke
April 11th, 2013, 09:44 AM
I suppose it would certainly repay them for going through last year's final.

Rest
April 12th, 2013, 10:38 AM
That Dortmund - Malaga match was crazy. I was supporting Dortmund and those goals at the end made my dad and I scream and howl.

I'm hoping Dortmund wins the whole thing, and I'm also hoping for an all-German finals, though I have a mind to think Barcelona will advance instead.

Went
April 12th, 2013, 10:49 AM
I just hope whoever wins the Barça-Bayern semi ends up partying at Wembley.

Mr. Avocado
April 12th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Bayern will beat Barca, but then lose to Dortmund. I think that Jurgen Klopp knows that Dortmund need to establish themselves as a big team, and other teams need to be wary of them. Dormund can beat Real, the home leg at Dortmund will take it out of Real, but there is that chance Mourinho will mess with Klopp's mind. All in all, the tie could go anyway as it stands, but I think the more likely is Dortmund. Then we go to the Bayern tie with Barca; Bayern will be eager to win the Champions League after getting to the final then being knocked out on quite a few occasions. The league is no more a worry for Bayern, they can rest players and just focus now on Barca. Tito Vilanova won't be able to handle the pressure when it comes down to it imo, he doesn't have the mind to be able to make very quick decisions in these sort of circumstances. We saw that Messi changes Barca, not saying they're a one man team, but I reckon if Bayern can handle Messi they should have the tie under control. Barca's defense hasn't been amazing recently, and Bayern's attack has. A lot of goals is what we should see over the 2 legs.

Nuke
April 12th, 2013, 02:40 PM
If Bayern & Dortmund win it'll be a great advertisement for the Bundesliga. Most people who watch the Bundesliga will argue it's up there with the Premiership and La Liga, but it's denied by the majority, this year's Champions League may just prove them right.

Anyway I think Bayern are the best team to face Barca so I'm happy with the draw.

Weeaboo Name
April 13th, 2013, 12:31 PM
I have never followed the other top leagues closely enough to really compare. The premierleague can't be the best league now though, surely.

I bet the officials are less crooked out in Germany and Spain than they are here in England anyway.

Nuke
April 13th, 2013, 01:11 PM
I suppose it's hard for anyone to compare really.

Anyway, Milwall decided to put the game back thirty years again today. By far, the worst fans in the country.

X-jhDRhZJSA

Hopefully the guy who stole the Police Officer's hat will get to court to face this pretty condemning evidence. Along with the rest of those involved of course.

Weeaboo Name
April 13th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Gotta live up to their well 'ard reputation.

All teams have a few **** fans, they just have a bigger few.

Went
April 13th, 2013, 02:09 PM
I bet the officials are less crooked out in Germany and Spain than they are here in England anyway.

It's pretty much as horrible anywhere to be honest. Here if anything our refs are a bunch of cowards who will not ever give anything even if five guys are handballing in the box. Unless it's a foul in midfield. Those we have three dozens a game.

Weeaboo Name
April 13th, 2013, 02:56 PM
It honestly feels like refs have to be biased towards 'big' teams sometimes.

Today Arsenal beat my lot 3 - 1 and not one of their goals should have stood. I'll add that we had the lead and had they not equalised through a dodgy pen in the 85th minute I think we'd have seen it out.

Nuke
April 13th, 2013, 03:06 PM
I can't complain about refs today, our ref probably helped us on the balance of things. Three two footed tackles which all could've merited a red on a different day and he only gave out two yellows. It usually goes the other way though so it's a nice change, but as usual lately we lost anyway.

Weeaboo Name
April 13th, 2013, 04:11 PM
They say these things even themselves out over the 38 games, if that's so then we're in for one hell end to our season. Especially if luck we didn't get with pens rolls over from last season.

Seriously though, until we're mathematically safe this result will bug me.

Weeaboo Name
April 14th, 2013, 08:35 AM
A day later and i'm still annoyed. Football hasn't bothered this much since THAT survival Sunday. Was at Fulham that day. ;____;

Arceus_17
April 14th, 2013, 08:47 AM
No love for Europa League? :D

SL Benfica (My club <3) is in the semi finals for the second time in 3 years and will meet the turkish club Fenerbahçe. It's going to be an extremely difficult match in Istambul but I hope we'll reach the finals this time (2 years ago we fell to SP.Braga in the semi finals ;-; ). We have a very solid and experienced team. Also I have a good feeling because the ffinal is in Amsterdam, a City that brings great memories to our older supporters, since We won our last Champions league there against Real Madrid with the great Eusébio scoring an hat trick - more than 50 years ago ;-;
xD

Weeaboo Name
April 14th, 2013, 09:29 AM
I speak to a Benfica fan pretty regularly and he would have rather faced them in the final. Crazy home support for that lot.

As you follow the Portuguese league you'd be a good person to give some opinion. How do you rate Lisbon's Ricky van Wolfswinkel?

Arceus_17
April 14th, 2013, 10:03 AM
I speak to a Benfica fan pretty regularly and he would have rather faced them in the final. Crazy home support for that lot.

As you follow the Portuguese league you'd be a good person to give some opinion. How do you rate Lisbon's Ricky van Wolfswinkel?

In my opinion, Wolfswinkel is a good striker. You can tell just by looking at the number of goals he's scored in the last 2 seasons. He has great technique to shoot, great positioning and he's also a good header. He has some flaws though, he isn't the best player to keep the ball long in his possession and reveals some hard technical issues with the ball in his foot, which helps to explain the love/hate feelings Sporting fans have towards him.

Katalyst
April 15th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Wolfswinkel is a good striker. The way he moves around the defenders to create space and avoid his markers is just amazing, then just get the ball to the box and he'll put it in. Shoots well with both feet and with his head as well.
This season, Sporting has scored 44 goals in 37 matches (in all competitions) - Ricky scored 17 of those. Considering that this is the worst season in the club's football history (knocked out in the last spot in the EL group stages - knocked out in the first round in the National Cup and the League Cup - currently in the 9th place in the league with 5 matches remaining) and the crap thing they wanted to call football that the team's played throughout this season I'd say they are pretty nice numbers. Last season, he scored 25 goals in all competitions, not bad at all for a first season in a club with such dimension.

The question is that English football is different, and I don't know how well he'll adapt to a more direct playing style since, well, he's not that fast, doesn't have the strength of an ox, neither does he race all around the pitch pressuring everyone and pick the ball from behind (which is something that some of our supporters hate for some reason) and his technique isn't developed enough to hold the ball for too long. He's not a bad "first touch" player though.

First post of mine in the new thread, yay.

curiousnathan
April 19th, 2013, 05:42 AM
I'll be watching the Tiges vs the Pie tomorrow at the MCG. Hopefully we can thwart our enemies haha. Everyone hates Collingwood. Except for their supporters naturally. XD They're just...so good to hate on haha. Hopefully we can step our game up like we did with the Western Bulldogs and thrash them from the centre. The one thing I'm worried about though is our goal kicking ability; considering that we fail to seize a plethora of six point opportunities. We'll need to be nearly perfectly spot on with our goal kicking if we're to have any chance of winning. It will be tough. Not to mention the atmosphere will be cray. So yeah, I'm excited haha.

Weeaboo Name
April 19th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Already nervous about football tomorrow here.

curiousnathan
April 20th, 2013, 06:16 AM
Well, we lost. Quite miserably too. We kept the game pretty even - we lead the first two quarters, but Collingwood just thrashed us form the centre and thwarted us. Bloody Travis Cloak smashed a bunch of goals, very much determining the winners and the losers for the rest of the match. ):

Arceus_17
April 20th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Tomorrow, we have another chapter of Portugal's biggest classic: SL Benfica vs Sporting CP. In the league, Benfica (1º Place) is 34 points ahead of Sporting (9º Place) when there are 5 matches left to the end. If Benfica wins, we'll keep at least a 4 points advantage against FC Porto (2º place). Sporting's only hope for this season is to reach an European spot.

Weeaboo Name
April 20th, 2013, 09:01 AM
We won. on to 38 points, up to 13th and but for a crazy run of results, safe.

With Sunderland turning it on it looks like a straight up fight between Villa and Wigan for that 17th place finish. Both have pretty horrible fixtures from now on. Would be pretty great if my lot helped relegate Villa.

Will probably watch the Benfica vs Sporting game.

Arceus_17
April 21st, 2013, 03:31 PM
Benfica won 2-0 in a difficult game against our eternal rival Sporting. I've seen much better this season from Benfica. Now we are 4 points ahead of Porto with 4 games left (one in Porto). We also have a trip to Istambul this Thursday x:
The 2nd goal from Lima after a great individual effort from Gaitan was truly masterpiece. Let me share with you guys:

http://abload.de/img/gaitas3qs1m.gif

Nuke
April 22nd, 2013, 06:15 AM
Lovely goal there, I suppose I'll say enjoy him while you can, he'll probably follow Di Maria's path eventually.

I've renewed my season ticket for another year, why do I put myself through it?

And Suarez is at it again, he never fails to amaze me.

Weeaboo Name
April 22nd, 2013, 06:50 AM
Luis Suarez hopes to play against Bayern Munich one day, because he'd like to try a shoulder of Lahm.

Nuke
April 22nd, 2013, 10:24 AM
That might be the worst Suarez joke I've seen yet and there has been many.

The menu was the best, 'Bacary Lasagne' was a highlight.

Nauje
April 22nd, 2013, 11:47 AM
That was filthy from Suarez, I know both Ivanovic and him were having a little heated moment all game but actually bite him in the arm? His a good footballer but man his a weird kind of controversial... at least someone like Joey Barton or Balotelli is explainable in a way but Suarez?

It's not even the first time he did it, that's what gets to me tbh haha.

Rest
April 22nd, 2013, 12:59 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ftQn1Gu.png

How exciting to see No. 20 RVP score a hat-trick in the title-winning game! The footballing stars really have aligned.

Weeaboo Name
April 22nd, 2013, 02:44 PM
I think Ji Sung Pork and Chocolate Mousse Dembele are my favs.

After a quick google... Ryan Figs...oh God.

Nuke
April 23rd, 2013, 07:50 AM
Haha Ji Sung Pork, that's brilliant.

Yeah Man United have won the title which I think has brought up a reasonable debate across England - How does this United team compare to those of the past?

Most people would say a lot of their players are pretty average, but then they've ran away with the title so how does that make sense?

Weeaboo Name
April 23rd, 2013, 11:49 AM
You hear that a lot about United but I don't see it.

Their squad, whilst lacking some of the personality of the past, is as strong as I've ever seen it. There aren't 11 megastars on the field but there isn't a single weak link in the entire 24, that has been their key strength this season. Their back line has been the surprise of the season for me, It seems they'll still be as good after Vidic and Ferdinand move on.

Nuke
April 23rd, 2013, 11:53 AM
Yeah I don't think people respect that players like Jones will grow into the previous megastars and many of them are nearly there.

Then there's always the unnoticed players like Carrick who will be a key decider in a title race, but receive little credit for being in the centre of the park.

Weeaboo Name
April 23rd, 2013, 12:06 PM
It's kind of a shame though as I'd love to see players like Hernandez, Kagawa and Daniel Nii Tackie Mensah Welbeck playing week in week out.

Nuke
April 23rd, 2013, 12:34 PM
Any need for his full name? :P

I think based on the games I've seen of Man United, Ferguson wants to see a system of RVP upfront with Rooney, Kagawa and Welbeck interchanging behind him in future.

RVP
Kagawa <-> Rooney <-> Welbeck

If that helps with the idea. So anyway, I think Welbeck and Kagawa will definitely see more time. Kagawa is bound to become a regular at some point regardless.

Shocking score in the Champions League, I think we're seeing Barcelona's successors here. Their signing of Gotze should propel them on to greater things too (and help eliminate most of their domestic challenge).

Weeaboo Name
April 23rd, 2013, 12:49 PM
Because it's a fantastic name.

Seeing a United team without wingers would be odd.

Bayern dominance has been coming.

Nuke
April 23rd, 2013, 01:23 PM
It wouldn't be too surprising, their current winger selection is pretty poor. Valencia and Nani have been far from brilliant this season.

I'd say I'm glad to see Bayern do well, but when Guardiola makes them play the boring tiki taka stuff I'll be just as annoyed as I am with Barca.

Weeaboo Name
April 23rd, 2013, 01:40 PM
Passing sideways isn't a style you enjoy?

Nuke
April 23rd, 2013, 01:48 PM
Unfortunately not. It's regularly employed to little success by Boro so that may cause some of my hatred towards it.

Weeaboo Name
April 24th, 2013, 04:02 AM
Norwich are pretty great at passing sideways and backwards.

Nuke
April 24th, 2013, 06:35 AM
I think we only do it because our players are incapable of creating any space for themselves to go forward.

Suarez banned for ten games, it seems like a better decision than most by the FA lately.

Weeaboo Name
April 24th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Oooh 10 games. Perhaps that would have meant something if the team were going somewhere.

Dirty little rat should have been kicked out (or forced to play for a pub team) for at least a year, considering his history.

Nuke
April 24th, 2013, 01:12 PM
If Bayern & Dortmund win it'll be a great advertisement for the Bundesliga. Most people who watch the Bundesliga will argue it's up there with the Premiership and La Liga, but it's denied by the majority, this year's Champions League may just prove them right.

Anyway I think Bayern are the best team to face Barca so I'm happy with the draw.

This couldn't have been more right if I do say so myself. The Bundesliga bandwagoning is now in full swing.

At least Suarez's ban will hopefully put Liverpool in one of those early season relegation form starts they usually find themselves in.

shenanigans
April 25th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Heh, Suarez's ban is just funny. Whatever would convince a man to bite someone after they pushed him is just... well beyond me. Annoyingly, though, the 10 matches iirc count as any matches, including friendlies. But then I guess the point of the ban was to deal with Suarez, not cause his entire team problems.

Anyway! More recent happenings in football.

Spurs make a comeback in the last 20 minutes of a game against City, scoring three goals in quick succession.
Barcelona lose 4-0 to anyone.
Real Madrid lose 4-1 to Dortmund, conceding their first ever hat trick in the Champions League.
Overall, Germany 8 - 1 Spain.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the end of the football world.

Went
April 25th, 2013, 07:22 AM
It wasn't a hat-trick! I was a poker, aka 4 goals. And Lewandowski became the 9th player to score 4 in a CL match- the only one to do so in a semifinal. Amazing stuff!

Weeaboo Name
April 25th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Wonder if it'd be worth watching some German league football next season. Has been a good 6 or 7 years since I last did. I hardly even followed other English leagues this year, only really kept half an eye on Cardiff due to th former City players.

Rest
April 27th, 2013, 04:02 AM
I'm down for an all-German finals instead of el Clasico.

Lewandowski was really, really good. He was my man of the match, but let's not overlook Gündoğan. He has some chops.

So, what's the deal? Is Lewandowski leaving for Bayern next season?

Seki
April 27th, 2013, 04:10 AM
I might start watching the Bundesliga soon, been an admirer of German football (the national team at least) for quite a long time already.

Weeaboo Name
April 28th, 2013, 04:34 PM
lol @ 'arry talking about how QPR can't break the bank this summer. I feel sorry for the fans but if Villa go down with them this season would have been worth it.

Nuke
April 29th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Still bitter about a certain Mr Lambert are we? :P

I'd be surprised if Redknapp even stuck around for next season, he doesn't strike me as someone who would bother with the Championship.

Nauje
April 29th, 2013, 07:05 AM
If Redknapp does leave (which I see happening tbh) I'm not sure where he would go. I don't see him managing anywhere else other than the Premier League, and if Newcastle hadn't stupidly gave Padrew a 10 year contract I would of said he would of went there, if Newcastle don't get relegated that is.

Rumours say that Robben is leaving Bayern because he doesn't fit in Guardiola's system. Where would he go? I would of said Chelsea but we have too many attacking players right now, and Mata, Hazard and Oscar are doing fine.

Nuke
April 29th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Yeah Robben hasn't played much this season anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if Manchester City made a move, but I don't see him going anywhere else except maybe Italy. Either way at 29 his career will probably go downhill from now on.

Weeaboo Name
April 29th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Going into the yoof cup final second leg with a 1 - 0 lead. Well played lads.

Blunderland. Or maybe Villa became Real Madrid whilst I looked away for a few weeks.

Nuke
April 30th, 2013, 06:49 AM
A very good performance by Villa, it's especially good for me since it puts Sunderland back in a position were they could get relegated. I think Wigan are going down unfortunately though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22285545

I thought this was an interesting article. Also it would appear Norwich are the team least reliant on one player in the Premiership.

Recluse
April 30th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Today is a rematch of Borrusia vs Real. BVB really curbstomped Real in the latest match. Lewandowski has shown a true masterpiece. I really like Real, but I don't think this rematch will help them to get to finals, I think we will have the German final.

Nuke
April 30th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Good effort towards the end from Madrid, but they were really uninspiring for the first eighty minutes.

Bayern should complete the German final matchup tomorrow hopefully.

Weeaboo Name
April 30th, 2013, 04:42 PM
That'll be because Norwich haven't been scoring goals.

We've actually been hugely reliant on Seb Bassong. without him it would be us going down with QPR and Reading.

Arceus_17
April 30th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Everything is set to a 100% German final.

This Monday, Benfica grabbed an important win in Madeira. Now we have 3 games left and 4 points of advantage to Porto. We can already smell the 33 rd league title :3

In Europa League we're also headed for a place in a final!

Nuke
May 1st, 2013, 06:31 AM
Everything is set to a 100% German final.

This Monday, Benfica grabbed an important win in Madeira. Now we have 3 games left and 4 points of advantage to Porto. We can already smell the 33 rd league title :3

In Europa League we're also headed for a place in a final!

I wouldn't count your chickens yet, you are 1-0 down after the first leg. But either way, it looks like a very productive season for Benfica which is more than I can say for my team. :P

Mourinho is potentially on his way back to Chelsea, I'm looking forward to it if it occurs.

Went
May 1st, 2013, 07:57 AM
I was scared Madrid would do it for a few minutes. It was terrible. But alas, it was too late. It could have been very different if they had scored earlier- couldn't believe how Ozil's shot went just wide, it was almost harder than getting it in.

Eitehr way, I hope whoever wins today (which is likely to be Bayern) ends up winning the cup.

Recluse
May 2nd, 2013, 02:21 AM
Bayern is really pumped up right now. I really want Borussia to win this, but seeing Bayern like this really makes me doubt about this. Real at least got 2 goals in rematch, Barca was completely destroyed in twomatch.

Went
May 2nd, 2013, 03:08 AM
I only know this is going to be the first final in years I will sit down and watch knowing that, whoever wins, I'll be happy for them because they'll certainly have deserved it.

bobandbill
May 2nd, 2013, 05:23 AM
Pretty dominant performance from Bayern, and Dortmund's effort at home wasn't half bad either. =p Should be interesting to watch. Kinda going for Dortmund if only because of Lewandowski. (His four goal haul made the polish press go crazy, I can tell you that much...)

Meanwhile the team I support in Australia (Central Coast Mariners) got into the round of 16 for the Asian champions league. Which all things considered is pretty amazing - they won the league's cup only last week and two days later snatched a win in Korea - ie jumped on a plane for 14 hours, landed at the end of the day, the next day played another match, which was enough given the Japanese team we played this week unsurprisingly smashed us.

This was a team on the verge of financial collapse only a few months back and is in the smallest region compared to every other major Australian club team. Not bad at all. =)

Nuke
May 2nd, 2013, 07:29 AM
I forgot all about the Bayern second leg until this morning when I woke up to see 7-0 on aggregate. It's brilliant to see Barca's reign potentially end.

I have no real preference on which team I want to win the final and I like both sides. I guess Dortmund would be nicer as they have a lot of homegrown players or those they signed for a modest fee (including some deals that have left their club such as Barrios & Kagawa). They also might not get to the final again for a while.

It seems like everyone who posts in this thread is enjoying some form of success for their home team except me lately.

Went
May 2nd, 2013, 10:54 AM
It seems like everyone who posts in this thread is enjoying some form of success for their home team except me lately.

Put an asterisk on me, we are third in the league but we still need 5 more points to guarantee that direct CL spot, and we haven't beaten Madrid for 14 years so you can guess how I feel about the Madrid - Atlético Cup final at the Bernabéu...

Arceus_17
May 2nd, 2013, 01:43 PM
Benfica proved it's much better than Fenerbahçe and we are back to an european final, 23 years later. Chelsea is a great team but we want to get some revenge from last year :3

In my opinion, this will be the most prestigious Europa League final we have had so far.

Nuke
May 3rd, 2013, 08:43 AM
Put an asterisk on me, we are third in the league but we still need 5 more points to guarantee that direct CL spot, and we haven't beaten Madrid for 14 years so you can guess how I feel about the Madrid - Atlético Cup final at the Bernabéu...

Well even 3rd with a cup final would be a good season. Obviously winning the cup would make it a much better season.

Benfica proved it's much better than Fenerbahçe and we are back to an european final, 23 years later. Chelsea is a great team but we want to get some revenge from last year :3

In my opinion, this will be the most prestigious Europa League final we have had so far.

Congratulations on reaching the final, I think Chelsea could definitely drop this one and they looked pretty weak in the first half last night.

Weeaboo Name
May 3rd, 2013, 10:38 AM
I guess anything that isn't 18th, 19th or 20th is a good season for my lot this time round. A good set of results this weekend would be massive.

Good result for Benfica and Cardozo getting a double meant a good reult for my skybet account funds.

Nuke
May 4th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Norwich aren't looking nearly as safe now. I'm hoping it's Newcastle or Sunderland who fall into the relegation zone though.

We lost on the last day today, dropping four places for an awful final position of 16th.

Weeaboo Name
May 4th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Man City game on the last day will be torture if we don't beat WBA next week that's for sure. At least I'm not blaming the ref for the result this week.

Don't like thinking about what would happen if we stay on 38 so I'm not. Norwich have been good against the top 10 so I'm sure we'll be fine. I hope.

16th, ouch.

Nuke
May 4th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Well if Wigan can beat WBA I'm sure you can.

Ouch indeed, Mowbray will remain charge regardless unfortunately.

Anyway, there has been a great story some might have missed today. Link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22416103)

Watford's Spanish goalkeeper Manuel Almunia pulled a hamstring in the warm-up meaning a late call into the starting line-up for Jonathan Bond and a place on the bench for teenager Jack Bonham, who had been expecting to watch the game from the stands.
But within 10 minutes of kick-off Bond found himself on the way to hospital after a heavy collision with team-mate Ikechi Anya and the hitherto unknown Bonham was thrown into the deep end.

A young goalie who literally hasn't even played a semi-pro game had to play a massive game for Watford today. Quite a good story in my opinion.

Weeaboo Name
May 4th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Yah, that is a good story.

Championship threw up my favourite football thing this weekend actually. Wolves fans singing "Que sera sera, whatever will be will be, we're going to Shrewsbury" made me smile,

Nuke
May 4th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Haha, self-aimed humour is always good in football, there's been a large amount of sarcastic clapping at the Riverside lately.

I can't believe they're now a League One club.

Weeaboo Name
May 4th, 2013, 03:21 PM
"Lets pretend we scored a goal" has been heard at Carra Rud a few times this season.

Indeed, 'tis what they get for getting rid of sexy Mick. >one in the hole

Went
May 4th, 2013, 11:54 PM
Didn't you hear about Hull? They needed a win to be promoted to the Premiership, and they were indeed winning 2-1 against Cardiff City. On top of that, they secured a penalty in the 92nd minute, so fans jumped into the pitch to celebrate. But, once they were removed, they missed the penalty... and conceded another one to Cardiff on the counter. Result: 2-2 in the 95th minute. Fans once again flood the pitch, but with a very different mood, listening to the Watford-Leeds match (and indeed Watford lost and Hull were promoted).

I wouldn't have wanted to be there during those minutes XD

Pillodox
May 5th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Great thing Cardiff are in the PL next season (I Support Cardiff btw)

P·S Are 2 football threads necessary?

Arceus_17
May 6th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Man, I'm so ******! Last Thursday we played so well against Fenerbahçe, and now we do this crap...We unexpectingly conceaded a draw today against 6th placed Estoril at our home. Carllos Martins, a central midfielder, managed to get 2 stupid yellow cards after he replaced injured Enzo Perez. What a bastard!! We also missed clear goal chances like hell...http://boards.buffalobills.com/images/smilies/redcard.gifhttp://boards.buffalobills.com/images/smilies/redcard.gifhttp://boards.buffalobills.com/images/smilies/redcard.gif

Now we lost our confortable 4 points advantage and we're only 2 points ahead of Porto. The next match is...Porto vs Benfica! The atmosphere there will be terrific, if you know what i mean http://media.sdreader.com/img/photos/2012/05/25/baseball_bat_smiley.gifhttp://forum.webmartial.com/Smileys/perso2/boxe.gif

Weeaboo Name
May 7th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Getting ready to watch the Wigan game. Will probably **** myself every time they get in the Swansea half.

I nearly died. Fantastic match.

Seki
May 8th, 2013, 01:39 AM
So, I've heard Sir Alex Ferguson retires after his long spell with Manchester United and has taken a ambassador role in the club.

Nuke
May 8th, 2013, 02:01 AM
Indeed, it is a dark day for football. I'll certainly miss Sir Alex and there's a good chance United will be replaced at the top by a much less desirable club. If Moyes takes over with Sir Alex as Director it'll be as if nothing changed though.

I don't know how to react properly yet, it's still very surprising news.

bobandbill
May 8th, 2013, 03:45 AM
A most interesting piece of news, that. Definitely one of the most successful coaches, and he created a legacy.

Bet the people at the club are wondering who the heck they're going to get now. :V

WooliestSteam
May 8th, 2013, 04:03 AM
Yeah just heard there now Sir Alex is gone, sad day in football al right. Never was a huge supporter of Man U. but damn that man knew how to manage a team!

I wonder who is in mind to replace him?

Nuke
May 8th, 2013, 04:06 AM
The main candidates at the moment are Jose Mourinho (on the basis of a long standing theory that Mourinho is upset at Madrid and wants to take over from his friend) and David Moyes (on the basis of a long standing theory that he's Scottish and that naturally makes him Fergie's successor for some reason).

Outsiders for the job include Klopp (Dortmund manager) and Solskjaer (ex-United player currently managing in Norway).

I'd be really surprised if it wasn't Mourinho or Moyes though.

WooliestSteam
May 8th, 2013, 04:25 AM
I think Chelsea are trying to rope Mourinho back in as well I read on Sunday. I wonder how that's going to play out, both teams out for Mourinho. David Moyes looks pretty decent also, I wonder though would he be able to manage a top side like United coming from Everton?

It's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Weeaboo Name
May 8th, 2013, 04:28 AM
Moyes has been touted for the job for as long as I can remember. I think it's his moderate success at a club that don't have extravagant resources that makes people think he'd be a good replacement.

Moyes is a much safer bet than Mourinho for me. Would love to see him back in England though.

WooliestSteam
May 8th, 2013, 04:36 AM
Personally I'd love to see Mourinho back at Chelsea.

1) Because I'm a Chelsea fan. D:
2) He was a top class manager when we had him, definitely one of the best we had.

But biased opinion aside Mourinho would make a great manager a United, but yeah Moyes seems to be the man for the job atm.

Nuke
May 8th, 2013, 04:39 AM
If Moyes does go, Everton will probably be a bit angry that they can't earn compensation from him since his contract is up.

I think Moyes would be more willing to work with current squad of players, bringing up Jones, Smalling etc. whereas Mourinho would just spend as much as possible to make his own squad so for that reason Moyes is probably more likely.

Weeaboo Name
May 8th, 2013, 05:16 AM
I wonder if officials will still be scared to give calls against Utd at home. If not the whisky nosed bacon face putting his feet up really is the best thing for the football world.

However much you talk up his managerial prowess I just can't see this as a sad day.

Nuke
May 8th, 2013, 05:42 AM
BBC did a study which suggests higher reputation teams will get 'Fergie time' regardless so I can only assume it's the same for most referee decisions.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/64333000/gif/_64333936_fergie_time_624.gif

Weeaboo Name
May 8th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Arsenal just get the crooked linos. That being said I want them to win their last two games.

Anyway I'm glad this didn't take long to sort out. Wonder how long it'll take Baines and Fellaini to join him.

Nuke
May 9th, 2013, 12:40 AM
An excellent career step for moyes.

Baines & Fellaini would fill required positions so you might not be far off. I'm sure Everton will be glad to have some money for once if they sell

WooliestSteam
May 9th, 2013, 04:33 AM
So as far as news goes, it seems Moyes is pretty much the new manager. That right enough?

Weeaboo Name
May 9th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Yup. A good move for Moyes and United.

Roberto Martinez seems to be the bookies fav for the now vacent Everton job. Whilst I like the guy for his football philosophy (and dress sense that's up there with Hoots) I just think it would risk ruining the stability Moyes has created for them over the last decade. He really hasn't taken Wigan forward at all, despite having some very good players in his sides and spending 5+ million on multiple occasions. A tough man to replace for a club like Everton that's for sure.

Amore
May 9th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Moyes is a good choice for sure. As long as he doesn't change our philosophy to the lumping it to the edge of the box then attacking that Everton do. That was how United played in the mid-90s.
To be honest my main concern is that we offload Rooney and Nani (who has talent, but just isn't consistent) etc. without bringing in somebody huge like Ronaldo to fill the gap

Weeaboo Name
May 9th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Gareth Bale will move on from Spuds soon. If it isn't Spain it would probably be Utd.

Amore
May 9th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Hmm...I can see him staying another year. I know they haven't won anything (Champions League win persuaded Ronaldo to stay at Utd. for another year), but I think he'll want to see if he can carry his form for more than one season and repay Spurs for the time they've invested in him. I could be wrong though. And if he did come to Utd. he'd be the ideal heir to Giggs' number when he retires, which looks like at the end of the 2013/14 season. So us signing him then would be ideal :)

Nuke
May 10th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Bale seems like an odd one to me, I can't gauge his loyalty to Spurs.

If he does show an intention to leave, Daniel Levy won't make it cheap for the buyer.

Weeaboo Name
May 10th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Oh no, now Neil Lennon is odds on to take over at Everton. Winning the SPL with that group of players is probably about the equivilent of me winning a kickboxing match against a 3 year old. Ok, he does ok in the Champions League but even a lot of that is down to the Celtic Park crowd.

Another name on the list is my first footballing boyhood hero, Malky Mackay. Seems to have done well in the Championship and cup last season iirc. I hope to see him manage Norwich one day.

Nuke
May 10th, 2013, 04:02 PM
He's actually done a bad job at coasting Celtic to the title as well. I mean sure they still did, but they've dropped nearly 40 points this season which is pretty poor for the advantage they're given. In many seasons when Rangers were there to take potentially 12 off them, they still scored way more points than they have this season.

Mackay has an easy job at Cardiff as well, so we'll see if he shows real managerial ability in the season to come.

Pillodox
May 11th, 2013, 12:05 AM
New Wolves manager, no-one gives a crap.

New Man Utd manager, it's all over the news.

True story

Nuke
May 11th, 2013, 02:23 AM
I think it'll be the case for a while now, although I wouldn't expect Wolves' news to get any serious coverage until they win promotion.

Weeaboo Name
May 11th, 2013, 08:11 AM
The national media care more about Sir Alex's bowel movements than 99% of football teams through the leagues.

Nearly FA cup time. My head says a tragic Wigan loss knocking their confidence for last prem games but my heart will support the underdog.

Nuke
May 11th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Wigan have been better in the first half if you ask me. I still think they'll lose unfortunately.

Weeaboo Name
May 11th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Classic Wigan really.

If they do go down they're going to lose quite a few of these players. Could easily see them dropping through the leagues over the next decade.

Nuke
May 11th, 2013, 09:25 AM
It's certainly possible, especially with Whelan stepping down in the next few years.

It'll be tough next season balancing the Europa League with the Championship if they do go down.

Weeaboo Name
May 11th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Well done Wigan.

I guess that's what can happen when a team come out not caring/expecting an easy win.

Nuke
May 11th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Hopefully that's the end of Mancini.

Congratulations to Wigan, McManaman will go far next season whether he's at Wigan or not.

Went
May 11th, 2013, 01:03 PM
All you pessimists :P Rumour has it around here that Pellegrini is moving to City- a good coach for once. Will be interesting to see how it works. Also apparently Falcao is going to Monaco since some billionaire bought it and wants to make it the best team in Europe by spending millions, you know, the usual.

Also Barça are 45 minutes away from winning the league unless Madrid can turn this match upside-down, they are losing 1-0 and anything but a victory would mean Barça win by default.

Nuke
May 11th, 2013, 03:04 PM
We're English, it's natural for us to be pessimistic. :( I suspect Pellegrini will be far more successful than Mancini, who is very lucky to have kept his job this long.

No surprise Barca clinched the title, it's been the obvious conclusion for a while. Hopefully Madrid will manage a reasonable challenge next season.

I suspect Arceus17 won't be the happiest of people at the moment, a late Porto goal put them ahead in the Portuguese title race with both teams' final games probably just a formality of taking the win. It was a brilliant context for that match beforehand though, either Benfica or Porto could go top and both were unbeaten up to that point.

Went
May 12th, 2013, 01:00 AM
Well, Barça did win. Who would have thought!

And so the exciting 2012-13 season ends here (well, there is still an insane fight for the Europa League spots, the CL playoff spot and the relegation, but, as long as the title fight has been concerned...).

http://i41.tinypic.com/2vxf1og.png

Ragetendo
May 12th, 2013, 02:21 AM
I feel a bit out of place here to be honest sinceI'm American and i watch Serie A, I'm a Milan fan, and when world cup rolls around its Teams Italia and USA. But if they lose i root for the English

Weeaboo Name
May 12th, 2013, 03:12 AM
Supporting England willingly? Crazy.

Massive nerves for the Norwich game in a few hours.

Nuke
May 12th, 2013, 03:29 AM
By contrast, I get to sit back and enjoy the rest of the season now my team's torrid one is over.

I think Norwich have a good chance in the game today and a point might be enough to keep them safe before the last game.

Weeaboo Name
May 12th, 2013, 08:10 AM
Well, that wasn't bad. Onwards and upwards.

Nuke
May 12th, 2013, 10:05 AM
A very entertaining day in football today. The entire coverage from Old Trafford has just been spectacular. Amazing send off for SAF.

A very good win for your lot and I think Norwich will have an easier time staying up this coming season.

Sunderland can still go down and hopefully they will.

Weeaboo Name
May 12th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Will watch MOTD as I missed his send off.

Has been a funny old season. Staying up without getting in the forward the manager wanted so badly, losing our best player (Ruddy) for over half of the season, only losing 4 league games at home (7, 7, 4) and now sitting 12th but fans are still calling for the sacking of Hughton. If we had Ruddy fit all season who knows where we could have finished.

Next up Citeh, we'll either do well or get smashed.

As for the relegation battle I'll be hoping for the version where Villa go down. Show us what you've got Wigan. Oh it feels good to be saying that.

Nuke
May 12th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Hughton could have a case for keeping his job even if they went down, I think he's done a great job to get them where they are this season.

Villa will be very strong if they don't go down.

Ragetendo
May 12th, 2013, 12:00 PM
I've honestly been waking up late and missing Seria A, I just have to remember that sunday Milan plays. I'll prolly still miss it somehow -.-

Went
May 13th, 2013, 07:17 AM
I don't know which one I prefer, The Independent (http://img.kiosko.net/2013/05/13/uk/the_independent.750.jpg)'s front page or The Guardian (http://img.kiosko.net/2013/05/13/uk/guardian.750.jpg)'s. Going to go with the latter, if only because of the "Meanwhile, on the other side of Manchester" on the corner XD

Also Watford.

cI__QLV40i8

dZBiHzCxOek

(British narrators are so boring, here they'd have been screaming GOOOOOLLLLLLLL GOLOGOLGOLGOLGOLGOLGOLGOLLLLLLLL for over 5 minutes)

Captain Fabio
May 13th, 2013, 09:43 AM
That was such a nutty game! Was so fun to watch.

Weeaboo Name
May 13th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Shame Brighton lost really, anyway, guess I'll support Palace in the final as I love their manager.

On the topic of finals Norwich just beat Chelsea in the Youth Cup final. Fantastic performance over the two legs.

Penta Penguin
May 13th, 2013, 02:14 PM
So, it's between Watford and Palace now. After Watford's deja vu from the Doncaster - Brentford game, I'd like to see them go up. As for the League 1 playoff final, I want to see Yeovil in the Championship, because they have never been there.

Nuke
May 14th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Watford and Palace are the teams I wanted to be in the final the least. Many other Championship fans would want them to go up so they aren't a threat next season, but I just hate Watford's Udinese/Granada reject policy and Palace would struggle next year without Zaha. I admire Poyet's work at Brighton as well and feel they deserved it more than the other three clubs.

Oh well it should make for an interesting final regardless of who wins.

I hope Yeovil go up as well just because they have a less than illustrious history.

Went
May 14th, 2013, 08:05 AM
As a Spanish saying goes, "unless the weather or the authorities prevent it" (or my cold, I must add), I'll be hosting a Skype call tomorrow, at around 7:45 Greenwich, a completely random hour in which we'll talk about how extremely talented a player Torres is, how most of us hadn't been born yet when benfica played an European final for the last time, how the ref will be robbing someone off (probably) and how "UEFA Cup" just rolled off the tongue much more easily.

If anybody is interested, please do contact me via PM, VM, this thread, skype, a telegram or any way you prefer!

Nuke
May 14th, 2013, 12:20 PM
I'll see how that develops before I indicate an interest. I'm sure I can annoy you all with my accent mwahaha.

In other news, welcome to hell Wigan, it's a shame you'll be joining us.

Weeaboo Name
May 14th, 2013, 12:48 PM
I'm thinking my laptop still won't be here tomorrow so that probably rules me out. To be honest even if it is I'll probably spend my evening installing stuff anyway. Would be up for it next time though.

No Survival Sunday this year then, a result which I would have snapped your hand off for after the Villa game. It is a shame as they do try to play some good stuff bit it's been coming.

Now they're down I hope McNally and Hughton get to work on signing Maloney.

Nuke
May 15th, 2013, 05:11 AM
My insider sources reckon hughton might be looking at everyone's least favourite Middlesbrough player Marvin Emnes, it's nothing concrete yet but still a possibility. I can only hope someone takes him this summer.

If Remy gets convincted, he may become the most infamous footballer of all time.

Nauje
May 15th, 2013, 12:52 PM
EUROPA LEAGUE CHAMPIONS BABY. UUUUH YEEAAAA

Benfica played better than us, not gonna lie. Shame their finishing let them down.

Amore
May 15th, 2013, 12:59 PM
No, lets be honest that happens in football all the time. The only real tragedy is that John Terry got his filthy hands on that trophy. Lampard should've lifted it on his own, or with the manager, or even Abramovich if he wanted (don't know if he's there though) but not Terry. I could kinda understand it when he went to get the Champions League trophy - although it was his own stupid fault for being sent off against Barcelona, he'd made a contribution to their campaign. He hasn't had much impact on the Europa League though. If I remember rightly he played all of their Champions League matches - look where that got them. Benitez fair excluded him, and look at the success!

Nuke
May 15th, 2013, 01:35 PM
I just hope there's another John Terry photoshop storm like last year.

Anyway, Benfica deserved to win, I was going to place a bet on Torres to score first but didn't. So all in all, pretty bad match for me.

Amore
May 15th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Haha, know how you feel. Was saying for weeks how I'd put a tenner or some stupid amount of money on Wigan winning the FA Cup. #bottledit

Nuke
May 16th, 2013, 07:26 AM
David Beckham joins the increasing list of high profile retirements this season.

His career was basically over six years ago in my opinion so I'm not too affected by this.

Weeaboo Name
May 16th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Yah, it was over when he joined LA. Still a pretty great guy and a decent footballer though. I'd say he'll be missed but I'm sure his media presence will be there for years to come.

As for the Euro final...I just didn't care this time. Teams that drop out of the CL shouldn't get another chance for silverware.

Weeaboo Name
May 18th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Watched the Paris game. He was fighting back the tears that entire second half.

Zlatan (the man that is so good we don't use his last name anymore) completely stole the show though. Even though he was far from his best he scored two making this his record league goalscoring season.

Nuke
May 19th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Beckham's final assist was so bad, it didn't seem fitting personally.

Anyway, we're saying goodbye to a large amount of players in the final day of the Premiership today, MOTD will be interesting just for the apparent stream of chances given to Carragher today. He just hit the post from 25 yards, I feel sorry for him if he doesn't score by the end.

It's always nice to tune in for a Man City loss as well.

Weeaboo Name
May 19th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Howson scoring 2 goal of the month contenders in 2 games, not bad.

Final position of 11th means decent prize money (nearly 3m more than if we would have lost) and that Hughton actually improved on Lambert's finish last year. It hasn't been pretty at times but it certainly sets up for a very interesting summer.

Looks like the prem went a bit mad today, I guess something had to make up for the lack of positions being decided.

Went
May 20th, 2013, 10:22 AM
And Mourinho has just become part of Real Madrid's dark history, with Ancelotti being his likely successor. Karanka will probably fill in Madrid's bench for the last two matches this season.

I'm very proud to be a supporter of Atlético Madrid, since we were the last nail on his coffin :D Winning the Cup at the Bernabéu, coming back from 1-0 to 1-2, after 14 years of losing against them every match, with Mou and Ronaldo being sent off with straight reds. Ahh, the joy. Bloody wonderful season.

My condolences to whoever has to endure him now.

Weeaboo Name
May 20th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Bet he comes and wins the prem with Chelsea now. TBH I want him in Ingerland even if it is only for the mad bantz in his press conferences.

Ahhh Norwich have released one of my favourite players, Simeon Jackson you will be missed. Really hope he finds a nice home, hopefully in the Championship. Don't think he can cut it at the top level but getting the goal which clinched second for us makes him a hero.

Korey Smith, Elliot Ward and Lee Camp are the other notable guys going out on frees whilst Martin and Tierney have already found clubs.

Considering David Fox, Dani Ayala and possibly Andrew Surman (I hope he stays) will probably be sold this means we should see a fair few additions to the squad this summer. Guess I'll be checking the site 50 times a day.

Edit - Oh, James Vaughan as well. Didn't set the championship alight last season so he'll probably not play for us again. Perhaps another loan.

Nuke
May 20th, 2013, 02:52 PM
I'm sure Mowbray will be looking in to the worst of that bunch at the moment so he can disappoint me with some more terrible signings.

Hopefully Mourinho is coming back, he can have no complaints with how things ended in Madrid, finishing so far behind because he hated all the decent Madrid players except Ronaldo. Ronaldo's red card in the final was a bit ridiculous on a separate note by the way.

Weeaboo Name
May 20th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Just had la look at your signings over recent years and I see what you mean.

I am also reminded of the massive Afonso Alves one. He lost me top spot in my fantasy football league that year. Why did I put him in based on goals in Holland?

Nuke
May 20th, 2013, 11:50 PM
We prefer to forget that name in Middlesbrough, at least there was a reason for signing him though. Most of Mowbray's signings have involved signing a terrible L1/L2 player on the off chance they turn out good and it really hasn't worked.

Went
May 20th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Hopefully Mourinho is coming back, he can have no complaints with how things ended in Madrid, finishing so far behind because he hated all the decent Madrid players except Ronaldo. Ronaldo's red card in the final was a bit ridiculous on a separate note by the way.

Well, if you add foot to the face + Gabi starts having a nosebleed of a sudden, then maybe the red card starts looking more warranted.

Unless you mean that the fact that it even came down to it was ridiculous, which I agree with.

Nuke
May 21st, 2013, 03:05 AM
Well obviously I can't be the greatest judge, but from the angle of the replay on youtube it looks like Ronaldo doesn't catch him at all and the flick looks natural. Obviously if his nose starts bleeding he must have caught him a little, but it didn't look intentional either way. I'm also amazed Gabi didn't get any punishment for the original foul.

Weeaboo Name
May 21st, 2013, 05:56 AM
Pulis seems to have gone. Can't be bad for the Premier league, that.

>Norwich City earn £46.07m in Premier League television income for 2012/13
and that'll be taking another big bump next season with that new TV deal.

We were creaming our pants over the rumour of a 2m investment just 6 seasons ago.

Went
May 21st, 2013, 06:55 AM
Well obviously I can't be the greatest judge, but from the angle of the replay on youtube it looks like Ronaldo doesn't catch him at all and the flick looks natural. Obviously if his nose starts bleeding he must have caught him a little, but it didn't look intentional either way. I'm also amazed Gabi didn't get any punishment for the original foul.

He did pick up a yellow, which caused him to be dismissed in the 124th minute.

And don't worry, the narrators here also thought there was no contact until they saw Gabi bleeding. I think there is another angle where it's seen more clearly. It is amazing though that the ref caught it immediately, kudos to him.

Nuke
May 21st, 2013, 09:04 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the ref wasn't sure and just made the decision anyway, but I guess it ended well.

As for Pulis' departure, it seems like a good thing all round. Give the PL a new interesting team and perhaps allow Stoke to progress (he's taken them backwards season after season despite massive investment but no one picks up on it). On the other hand, it might let one of the newly promoted teams have an easy chance to stay up if Stoke collapse.

Weeaboo Name
May 21st, 2013, 09:19 AM
Put a few quid on Mark Hughes getting the Stoke job, just a gut feeling. It's a win-win bet anyway. If I win I get 39 quid, if I lose Stoke probably got a better man.

Weeaboo Name
May 23rd, 2013, 01:59 PM
Hughes odds shortened all the way down to 2s in most bookies. I bet the Stoke forums are getting restless.

Nuke
May 23rd, 2013, 02:01 PM
It's been a slow week football wise. I mean locally the transfer news is going crazy considering the window hasn't opened, but obviously that isn't too interesting to anyone on here.

Some positive news though - "Uefa will announce on Friday whether the Europa League winners will be rewarded with a Champions League qualifying spot from 2016."

I think it's about time this measure was taken to promote the Europa League.

Edit: It's spectacularly odd that we posted within two minutes of each other after a couple of days of inactivity.

I always like checking other fans forums for their opinion actually so I might check it out. I remember the Man United forums were erupting in rage over the potential hiring of Moyes when Fergie announced his retirement.

Weeaboo Name
May 23rd, 2013, 02:38 PM
I hate silly season on Norwich forums. Some of the names mentioned so far....Isco, Nani, Carlton Cole, Darren Bent, Dani Pacheco, Florent Malouda, Titus Bramble, Lukaku, Guidetti and Miroslav Klose. Oh, and some 35 year old league 2 player. I remember Riquelme being spotted in Morrisons evey window between 03 and 07.

As for othe teams forums I love seeing WACCOE (Leeds) go into meltdown whenever we go in for a player. That place seems to just be twats saying c**t a lot, awful place.

Anyone at Boro hoping to pick Simeon Jackson up on a free? Would be a cracking signing for most ccc clubs.

Nuke
May 24th, 2013, 04:05 AM
There was a bit of discussion on the Boro forum about Jackson when Norwich announced their released players, but that has been a trend when any team has released players recently.

The Middlesbrough fans are similarly unrealistic in their targets sometimes, in a recent local poll the two players that most fans wanted us to sign were Charlie Austin & Albert Adomah. I can't even start on how wrong that is. So far it looks like we'll be taking gambles on lower league players and trying to find loans for young PL players again.

Hopefully Norwich follow up their signing of Van Wolfswinkel with a few more optimistic pursuits.

Weeaboo Name
May 24th, 2013, 07:40 AM
The hungry lower league gem transfer policy has worked well here. The values of Pilkington, Snodgrass, Howson, Bennett and others will be increasing all the time. Pretty strong rumours say we'll continue that with the signing of Redmond(?) from Brum.

RVW and the full signing of Garrido mark the start of what should be an interesting summer. Hoping for a Bassong/RVW/Ruddy quality central midfielder next. Football Manager legend Steven Defour is the rumour. The fact we've already been shopping in Portugal and he has seemingly been replaced make me want to believe this. I don't though.

Amore
May 24th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Ah, but has Defour been replaced? Monaco have just signed James Rodriguez and Joao Moutinho. At the very least this tells us they'll beat City et. al to Falcao, as I'm sure he'd rather earn millions playing with old teammates than Carlos Tevez, Nasri et. al.
Interesting to see Ricky van Wolfswinkel at Norwich. If nothing else, I hope his value goes up on SoccerManager after I bought him on about five different game worlds :P

Nuke
May 24th, 2013, 08:06 AM
The success rates in Championship clubs recruiting good L1/L2 players in comparison to PL clubs getting good finds in the Championship aren't similar unfortunately. Not to mention Mowbray is an idiot in the transfer market and would probably turn down Messi in favour of some injury prone lazy player if they were both available in the same L2 team.

I don't know much about Defour's abilities in the real world, but I'm sure that signing kind of player is the right direction for Norwich.

Monaco have sent a strong signal by signing those two. I'm sure they won't be the biggest signings they make this summer either. Ligue 1 will be very interesting next year.

I haven't heard of SoccerManager in years, those were the days. We should get a PC gameworld going. :P

Weeaboo Name
May 24th, 2013, 08:35 AM
That is true. We've been lucky signing the likes of Holt, Wessi, Russ Martin and others whilst in the ccc and l1.

Hector Herrera was the guy I thought they were getting to replace. Supposedly Defour hasn't been that good meaning they want to move him on.

French league was pretty fun back when I followed other leagues. Will watch a few (Ibra)games next season that's for sure.

SoccerManager, never played this one. Should have my laptop tomorrow so I'll be up for that. Only online game I still play is xperteleven.

Nuke
May 24th, 2013, 09:14 AM
A lot of news outlets on Twitter are suggesting Rafa Benitez is set to join Napoli.

I could swear he said he was making an attempt to stay in the PL.

Weeaboo Name
May 24th, 2013, 09:44 AM
I'm not surprised. All of the 'top' prem sides seemed to already have replacements lined up. Couldn't see him going to Everton and despite being the Stoke fan's first choice that was never going to happen. Had Pardew been given the boot it might have been interesting.

Still think Martinez will go to Everton and well, it seems I was bang on with Hughes and Stoke.

Nuke
May 24th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Everton are meant to be getting the current Porto manager with Martinez being a second choice, last I heard.

Pardew leaving would be interesting for me as a Boro fan too, think of the severance package from cancelling a seven year contract mwahahaha. :P

Weeaboo Name
May 24th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Anyway, good move for Rafa really. I'm sure if he does well this season Man City will be in for him when they sack their new guy next summer.

Still finding it a little hard to believe that Pardew is currently the second longest serving manager in the prem. Crazy.

Nuke
May 24th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Hopefully he'll be under a little less pressure than when he was at Inter as well.

I'm still amazed he ever got appointed in the first place. It's worth mentioning he was sacked by Southampton (at the time a League 1 club) in his previous job.

Weeaboo Name
May 24th, 2013, 11:58 AM
There are just some managers that will always get work, no matter how many times they screw up. My worst nightmares consist of Norwich struggling in January and appointing 'Arry to save the day.

shenanigans
May 24th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Anyone else up for a mass Skype convo for the Champions League final? Went and I are down for it. 8)

Nuke
May 24th, 2013, 01:09 PM
@Lapras, it could be worse, there's always Mark Hughes.

@Razor Leaf, Unfortunately I think I won't be at home for the CL final tomorrow night, if that changes I'm up for it though. If not, there's always next year. :P

Weeaboo Name
May 24th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Think I'm watching it in the pub.

We could do the Confederations Cup if anyone cares about it.

Nuke
May 24th, 2013, 02:13 PM
I couldn't care less about the Confed, but I'd even talk about a Stalybridge Celtic match if it was on offer so I doubt that matters.

Nathan
May 24th, 2013, 03:23 PM
I think I could be able to participate in the Skype convo.

Seki
May 25th, 2013, 12:44 PM
And Bayern Munich won Borrusia Dortmund 2-1 in the CL final.

Nathan
May 25th, 2013, 12:56 PM
One of the greatest matches of the season. It was beautiful. Dortmund battled really well, it's a shame they lost.

Seki
May 25th, 2013, 06:36 PM
http://i.minus.com/id2Yevtxbc5IK.gif

That stamp from Lewandowski.

Rest
May 25th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Bloody great match. Bummed Dortmund lost, but Bayern's deserving of a win, and I'm glad they finished on a high note.

Here's that impeccable goal-line save from Subotic:-

http://i.minus.com/ibgapqYocP946.gif

I was also hoping for my favourite Dortmund player to sneak in a goal, and I got what I wanted!

Dortmund played so well last night. We may have lost this one, but we've gained so many admirers in the process. I'm proud.

Nuke
May 26th, 2013, 12:25 AM
It saddens me that robben scored the winner, he gets the headlines even though he played pretty crap.

Reus was really good in the first half, I think Dortmund have a good enough team for next year so long as they replace Gotze.

Went
May 26th, 2013, 12:30 AM
I shudder to think what can Pep do with these guys- if he gets Robben to score more than one in four absolute sitters, they'll be unstoppable.

Nuke
May 26th, 2013, 02:06 AM
I assume pep will find a new winger, robben has hardly been in favour this season.

Meanwhile barca sign neymar, perhaps they'll be a good challenge to their former manager.

shenanigans
May 26th, 2013, 02:44 AM
Disappointed at the Dortmund loss, but from what little I saw of it (and what I had Went babbling about to me on Skype d:), it was pretty fantastic. That save in the .gif above me there is immaculate, probably one of the best bits of defensive play I've ever seen. However I'm pretty horrified at SNOR(es)LAX's post up there with Lewandowski's stamp. What did he get for that?

Weeaboo Name
May 26th, 2013, 03:23 AM
Always though Robben would move on this summer tbh.

Went
May 26th, 2013, 09:56 AM
However I'm pretty horrified at SNOR(es)LAX's post up there with Lewandowski's stamp. What did he get for that?

A "I'll pretend it was an accident but don't do anything similar again" glare from the ref.

Recluse
May 26th, 2013, 11:33 AM
I lol'd at what Lewandowski has done. Shame that Robben was playing badly for almost whole match and scored that goal after all. BVB did really good in the first half, later it was just getting worse...

Amore
May 27th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Yeah, Lewandowski's stamp was bad. But Ribery (unsuccessfully) elbowed him in the face, so karma is kinda neutral on it, particularly as nobody was really hurt.
Is it just me or is Pep Guardiola kinda fortunate with the teams he gets? Barcelona were unstoppable under him, but a lot of that is due to him having Messi 100% fit for his entire reign - just look what happened the second he got injured. And Bayern...well, they're absolutely class.
And even if his tactics have something to do with the success of Barca (I believe it was him who decided to play Messi in a central role), he was lucky in that he inherited a team, as opposed to a bunch of personalities, which is what Madrid disintegrate into every season that they don't win something. And if Robben leaves, Bayern'll have that same team spirit (apparently players dislike him because he spends too much time with his family!?) which will make them much easier to manage.

And on the final, yeah BVB were pretty unlucky. And If Götze wasn't injured, that extra bit of creativity would've dragged the game into extra time at least. I gotta be honest I was really hoping Bayern would be the new Benfica (choking in finals). Good to see Ilkay Gundogan getting a goal - I wonder how much of that was due to Lewandowski being bothered about missing and how much of him being worried about equalising against his alleged future team-mates? Absolutely gutted that my bets didn't come off too :P Had BVB 2-1 Bayern, and Müller (nearly always scores), Reus and Lewandowski to score.

In more recent news though, Crystal Palace are back up! Kevin Phillips, what a legend. Wilfried Zaha apparently got MOM, which is good news for United as Young never looked like our quality and Nani'll probably never hit his true potential until he leaves, sadly. Although then again, looking at moments like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5gDJfFvObg and maybe it'd be a good thing, especially if Ronaldo ever does want to come back (not due to that goal, but apparently they really don't get on?).

Also, you heard it here first - United will win the Champions League in the next two seasons

Weeaboo Name
May 27th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Don't really like Palace, have been to Selhurst Park twice, it sucks. Glad to see their manager on MOTD though, he's always entertaining anyway.

Weeaboo Name
May 28th, 2013, 05:30 AM
In other news. Still waiting. Come on Stoke.
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/4961/capturehdw.png

Amore
May 28th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Haha, if that comes off I'm putting £3 on Stoke to go down this season :P

Nuke
May 29th, 2013, 04:23 AM
Ah now we look forward to the transfer window, good times.

I feel like Stoke will go down, but a lot of the teams seem quite weak. Cardiff might actually have a very fun time and finish 10th/11th.

I like the theme, -Lapras-. :P

Weeaboo Name
May 29th, 2013, 05:54 AM
Next season seems pretty tough to call. Anything can happen in that big group outside the top 6 or 7. Relegation could be any 3 of them tbh. Top 3 will be the money sides as always, then Arsenal in 4th with Pool and Spurs challenging for 5th. Personally I think Everton will get drawn back into the other group next season.

It obviously depends on the transfers this summer but I can't see any of those other 13 sides making a break for Europe.

Might be my bias but I do think Norwich will go into next season with one of the most improved sides. van Wolfswinky and a couple more decent signings should see us over the line a lot more safely this season just gone.

Weeaboo Name
May 30th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Eugh, my off season withdrawal has kicked in a few weeks early this year. I say this whilst watching Djurgardens vs Kalmar.

Nuke
May 30th, 2013, 10:24 AM
I don't mind it being off season as long as there's some juicy transfer news.

There isn't at the moment, but I imagine there'll be a lot of transfers announced tomorrow. Including at least one Middlesbrough signing.

Weeaboo Name
May 30th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Not one piece of interesting transfer gossip down here yet either. I shouldn't really be complaining considering we've already got in 2 quality players but I am anyway.

Nuke
May 30th, 2013, 11:42 AM
It's always that way. I want us to get business done early yet I'll be complaining on deadline day when we don't do anything.

If my sources are to be believed we will complete the free signing of Jacques Maghoma from Burton soon enough.

Weeaboo Name
May 30th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Can't say I know a lot about that fellow. Scored quite a few goals from midfield last season though, it seems. 16 compared to 4 in each in each of the previous 2 seasons.

Only rumour with any substance this week here seems to be Leon Barnett to Cardiff, a decent player but not up to Bassong/Turner/Bennett standard. Oh and some Australian team are supposedly after Grant Holt.

Nuke
May 30th, 2013, 12:14 PM
I haven't heard of him before we started being linked with him. He seems a similar signing to Ledesma last season who we signed on the basis of him doing well for Walsall and getting 4 goals in 10 games from midfield. That worked out pretty horrible. I also think Spurs would've held on to him if he was even Championship quality as they have done with a lot of youngsters lately.

Surely that Holt rumour is a bit absurd? Is he not still in the first team?

Weeaboo Name
May 30th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Not as absurd as you'd think.

Hughton's preferred formation seems to be 451 and you'd imagine van Wolfswinkel will be that striker next season. With only 3 first team strikers on the books atm (Holt, RvW, Becchio) you'd expect another good player to join in that position, he could very well end up being 3rd or even 4th choice.

There's also the fact that Norwich fans are very quick to turn on him. You wouldn't believe some of the abuse he gets. I could imagine a nice pay packet and the Australian climate could be quite appealing.

That being said I still think he'll still be here, and important for us next season. The only move I could really imagine is one to Celtic, with Hooper going the other way.

Nuke
May 30th, 2013, 12:54 PM
It seems like an interesting situation given Holt's importance in the seasons preceding this one. It's odd that he isn't an iconic player among the club's fanbase.

I'm surprised Becchio isn't being rumoured to move on, he isn't going to get games for Norwich.

Weeaboo Name
May 30th, 2013, 01:25 PM
I think a lot of the resentment came from the transfer request last summer, of course his goalscoring form suffered under Hughton's tactics so that didn't help. For me he's up there with Malky Mackay and Darren Huckerby, we'd be stupid to let him go, even if we did bring in another top striker.

I hope we keep hold of Becchio and really give him a chance next season. He only got the odd few minutes here and there but I think he'll be an asset for us. His link up play with Howson for the last goal vs West Brom was great. There are people saying he was a panic buy but I don't believe a word of that.

Nuke
May 30th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Ah Darren Huckerby, I haven't heard that name for a while.

I see Becchio being kept around only for Hughton to realise he doesn't need him mid-September and emergency loan him to a Championship team (Middlesbrough would be nice).

Weeaboo Name
May 30th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Never have I seen a player try so many runs, easily the most exciting player I've seen in a Norwich shirt. It's a shame the super direct, pacey winger has been going out of the game. That being said we actually have a pair of twins in our development side that share a lot of his attributes, only 17 so I won't build them up that far but there's potential.

If he's not getting games and we stay up next season I guess a Championship side will be picking up a bargain.

Weeaboo Name
May 31st, 2013, 06:18 AM
I see a name I don't recall in the race for the Everton job. Ralf Rangnick. I hope he gets the job based on the fact his name sounds like a 70s porn star.

Also I wish I could see this as a good idea. It hasn't even been confirmed and I'm already having premonitions of Tommy Smith going through the back of RvW and taking him out for 6 months.
http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city-fc/norwich_city_in_advanced_talks_over_ipswich_town_summer_friendly_1_2218299

Nuke
May 31st, 2013, 07:01 AM
We arranged a friendly against nearby Hartlepool recently, we're like good chums rather than rivals though so it's all good. Having a friendly against a rival is almost as odd as arranging a friendly against a team in the same league.

I see Victor Valdes has said he is leaving Barcelona due to the pressures of playing for them. Last time I checked he wasn't exactly the vital squad member every Barcelona fan looked at for success.

Weeaboo Name
May 31st, 2013, 07:09 AM
It would probably be a nice little earner but the risks outweigh that for me. That being said if it goes ahead I'll still go and watch.

I wonder if he'll be linked to Arsenal, like every other goalkeeper in the world.

HereComesHeracross
May 31st, 2013, 07:17 AM
I don't understand why we need a new keeper, Szczesny is fine thanks. We're better of using the money elsewhere.

Nuke
May 31st, 2013, 07:39 AM
It will spark reports of Reina going back to Barcelona again. Would it be ridiculous to suggest Brad Jones might soon be Liverpool's first choice keeper?

Arsenal should have an interesting summer, Wenger might finally spend now Fergie has been retired to have a shot at the title.

Weeaboo Name
May 31st, 2013, 08:05 AM
To take a step forward I think Arsenal really have to change that wage structure. 4th is the best they can hope for until they do.

Weeaboo Name
June 3rd, 2013, 05:57 AM
Nothing happening in my part of the football world. I hate it.

Da Speshul 1 returns to Chelski. I guess that's good.

Amore
June 3rd, 2013, 07:22 AM
What I've heard is this: Valdes -> Monaco, Reina -> Barcelona, Suarez -> hell (well no, but not staying at England), Liverpool -> Championship :P

Certainly going to be interesting next year, with the top 3 all changing managers. I can see Pellegrini taking time to settle in, so City probably won't win.
As a United fan I'd love it if all the rumours surrounding Ronaldo come true (Except the ones that claim he'd come to Chelsea to be with Mourinho - he hates him just like the rest ), it'd certainly make Moyes' job a lot easier having a guy who's scored 201 in 199 for Madrid since leaving us. And it'd also most likely cripple Spurs as Ronaldo would command a high fee, most of which would be spent on Bale - even if he doesn't want to go, Daniel Levy's got a short-termist streak that would see £80million > building a team around the only player in the PL who really compares to Ronaldo.

Fabregas is apparently looking more and more likely to return to Arsenal? Depending on the size of Arsene's war chest I can see this happening. Would be good for the competitiveness of the league too, although United are also interested I think he'd go back to London for guaranteed playing time. Him combining with Wilshere and Santi Cazorla'd make one hell of midfield trio.

Also, did anyone see the England/Brazil game? Rooney's goal reminded me of that first one against Arsenal...really hope Moyes manages to keep him, although Kagawa would be limited stuck out on the wing for another season. Benitez-style squad rotation would be required :P

...and if you've made it this far - ever found it funny how Arsenal's manager is called Arsene? I have.

Nuke
June 3rd, 2013, 07:54 AM
Some very interesting potential moves there, Amore. I think Ronaldo return, but it will be a few years down the line. A Fabregas return I can see happening as I doubt he gets as much notice at Barcelona in comparison to Arsenal, but I'm not sure if the Arsenal fans will be happy about it.

It used to be even funnier when they had Arshavin. I also liked it when Man United had an Angolan player called Manucho, I never personally refer to United as 'Man U' due to its connotations, but seeing as how everyone else refers to them as that it was quite good at the time.

Weeaboo Name
June 3rd, 2013, 08:18 AM
Returns for the likes of Fabregas and Ronaldo can only be good for the league, I hope they happen.

I watched the first half but it was too depressing so I switched it off. Felt a little silly when I looked at the score later on.

Banz
June 3rd, 2013, 08:48 AM
Any Liverpool fans here?
I'm really worried about what will happen this transfer window. I hope we get good replacements for those who leave.

Weeaboo Name
June 3rd, 2013, 09:12 AM
I hope Liverpool sign Diego Capel. Even if it is only to make these silly rumours on the Norwich forums go away.

No idea why the Norwich fans want him so much.

Nuke
June 3rd, 2013, 10:04 AM
I go from complete hatred of Liverpool to thinking their alright at times. I'm managing them on Football Manager at the moment so I guess I'm in the alright phase at the moment.

Another Boro return might be happening after Woodgate & Parnaby last season, we're rumoured to be after David Wheater if anyone is aware of who he is. Considering how Woodgate & Parnaby have performed in this spell for us, I'm going to be a bit pessimistic about this one if it comes off.

Captain Fabio
June 3rd, 2013, 10:29 AM
Not a fan of Liverpool, mainly because they protect Suarez no matter what he does. I don't want him in the EPL as his attitude is so horrible and I have never disliked a football player more than him.

The only reason Liverpool don't want to get rid of him, is because they know they will slump to the middle, lower middle of the table, that is the reality. But, I can't see him being there come the end of the transfer window.

Weeaboo Name
June 3rd, 2013, 10:33 AM
I remember seeing him and thinking we had a potential England player when he first came through actually. Can't say I've seen him recently but I'm sure you could do worse than Wheater.

Nuke
June 3rd, 2013, 10:57 AM
He has a pretty poor injury record as well which is the last thing we need really, but hopefully if it happens he comes in handy.

I completely agree about Suarez. But just like they did with Suarez after Torres, I think they'll find some new world class attacker to pull up their average team.

Weeaboo Name
June 3rd, 2013, 11:29 AM
With Woodgate already in the squad that could backfire quite badly then.

Nuke
June 3rd, 2013, 02:56 PM
It goes far beyond Woodgate. For the past two seasons we've had various players in and out of the team with injury problems even if they aren't injury prone like Woodgate, it must be something to do with the training regime or the physios.

Recently, Kevin Thomson who we released in January complained we played him for a while with an undiagnosed broken leg.

Weeaboo Name
June 4th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Undiagnosed broken leg, ok, I laughed a little.

Rumours of Keisuke Honda joining Norwich. Silly season pls end.

Amore
June 4th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Haha, Honda and Van Wolfswinkel...can't tell if they're going for silly names or actually building a team that'll throw them into the Europa League spots next season (above Liverpool obviously). And undiagnosed broken leg? Hope Honda's a physio as well as a player, sounds like you have problems there...but how did he not know there was something up? I guess these lower quality players can't do self-diagnosis like Casillas, Pepe and Ronaldo when getting out of Mourinho's last game :P
Training regime? Likely explanation is there isn't one and you have fitness coaches who were around when England won the World Cup, getting the players to do laps 365 days/year.

Speaking of Liverpool...despise them. Partially as a United fan, although I admire Gerrard and Carragher. And I did support them against Milan when they were last in Champions League finals (just the done thing isn't it? Supporting the team from your country). But the way they've handled Suarez is just shocking. I know Ferdinand's hardly been a saint (I couldn't help but lol at the "choc-ice" comments) but we've never come out as practically condoning the behaviour. Although they're less annoying than John Terry, when the full kit ****** came out in the Europa League Final I started yelling at the t.v. telling him to get off the pitch etc. Should've escorted him away instead of Torres' little follower.

Nuke
June 4th, 2013, 08:19 AM
I think you have the wrong idea on the teams I and Lapras support based on the Honda physio comment. :P

Anyway, you complaining about Terry has reminded me that the John Terry meme should've returned following his kit wearing at the Europa League Final. Found a nice and funny round up of it all. Link (http://footballburp.com/magazine/the-best-john-terry-full-kit-jokes-as-chelsea-win-europa-league/)

Amore
June 4th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Possibly yes. I had no idea who Woodgate played for, so I was just guessing.
But if you were talking about Middlesborough with the "undiagnosed broken leg" then it's the north, what do you expect? We don't believe in injuries, that's just not being 100% :P

Some of those JT jokes are brilliant, haha.