PDA

View Full Version : Member interaction center


Noah Ridgewood
April 20th, 2013, 07:31 AM
So I had this idea from a post that Razor Leaf made somewhere. Ever since I read it, it's something that I thought about a lot and finally, I have the incentive to finally bring it up! I think we should have a forum based purely on getting to know each other. Chit Chat & Polls and The Welcome Lounge play their role, but I think something a little more extensive would do the trick much better, and provide a greater opportunity for members to become more aware of who they're interacting with on a regular basis. Blogs are posted a lot by members here asking for other members to ask them questions, and they're always something that become extremely popular, and kind of like a short-lived meme of sort that other members with blogs tend to do after one is posted. What do you think of having one of those types of forums added to PC?

Team Fail
April 20th, 2013, 07:35 AM
I kinda like this idea, to be honest. It'll allow anyone to make a thread that people can ask questions about them in. It wouldn't be off-topic, and as long as the questions are kept appropriate (Which I'm pretty sure the PC staff can manage quite well), it'd be a place where you could ask things if you wanted to ask such a person.

Edit: I'd also say that Chit Chat and Polls could house such a subforum. It's more or less not directed at new members, nor is it for Pokémon discussions, and CC&P is more or less the lighthearted, off-topic (ish, I think?) discussion center.

tigerBLADE
April 20th, 2013, 07:38 AM
I do like this idea because nowadays, I, personally am very interested on meeting new people, but, well, as shy as I am, I often speak to only a handful of members, instead of the majority of the userbase in general. I think this would be a cool idea to properly get to know people, so you'd be more comfortable around them more.

Patrick
April 20th, 2013, 07:47 AM
I like the idea, really, but I'm afraid it'll just become another version of the polls subforum. -_-; That and the introduction forum.

Here's my question to you. How would you distinguish this from becoming another area to plop down a few words and be on one's way? What will you do to encourage people to engage in a conversation with each other? And what's stopping it from being entirely self serving, where people just post about themselves but never respond to anyone else in that same subsection?

If you can find some solutions to that (not looking for miracles, of course), I'll be behind you 100%.

Meganium
April 20th, 2013, 07:49 AM
The first thing I thought when I read the OP was an "ask me anything" subforum or something like that, which I personally think that's a great idea. Of course it wouldn't be named "Ask Me Anything" but in another creative title. XD

Like Doronjo, I'm also shy towards members too...so this may break this hard nutshell that I'm always in.

Kura
April 20th, 2013, 08:14 AM
I like this idea as a thread, not a subsection.. because people are always biased about themselves so i won tend to get to know others through their actions and posting around than anyrhing else. Maybe an ak me anyrhing thread that 3 people every 2 days sign up for and during those 2 days the members ask them questions? Just a suggestion as how it can be organized because otherwise i feel it would become a lot likememberclubs.. that didnt go too greatly imo.

I will elaborate later but rn i typing from my phone.

Squirrel
April 20th, 2013, 08:30 AM
This sounds similar to the old member fan clubs? I wasn't around for those, but what went wrong with them and how would bringing them back work out? There's always the alternative of bringing back that old "ask me anything" Other Trivia thread which basically just went sign up > wait your turn > get asked questions > answer them all - but that seems a bit basic for this idea.

Shiny Celebi
April 20th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Are you talking about a thread/section where people ask other users questions like in the blogs? I actually do like the idea and it would make it accessable to people that dont have a blog since you have to donate up to Tier 2, get 5000 posts, or be given a blog by the staff. However I think a single thread could get very confusing for people f it becomes popular, we have a lot of users and potentially a lot of users would want to ask or answer questions. As long as there was some sort of order in it I think it could work(such as people having to wait their turn before having people ask them questions) not sure how that would work though and individual threads might work better in their own subforum.

flight
April 20th, 2013, 11:43 AM
I disagree with having it in a thread :\ I think it's a given that AMAs are a pretty popular thing here at PC, and I firmly believe that having a subforum/entire section (whichever seems more fitting), would be more ideal, if anything else. Having a thread is just begging for posts to get lost, and it'll just create a mess that no one would really want, especially for organizational purposes.

Patrick
April 20th, 2013, 01:50 PM
I'd be down with an AMA. As usual, though, I can't help but see both side of the issue. The punchline of that being that I can understand where things could get ugly, fast. Especially if certain members get more questions than others, someone could take it the wrong way.

*recalls a thread here in PCQ&F months ago where someone felt slighted about being ignored in the RPs subforum*

That thought I just typed? I'd rather we avoid stuff like that if possible. A single thread just won't do. People are gonna end up treating it like the DCCs, and those are only fun if you have some clout or seniority, otherwise posts tend to get skipped over. That's gonna be less fun in an AMA situation. Not to mention the clutter. I'd just go with the subforum. Maybe find a way to make it work, though, if there is one.

Melody
April 20th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Honestly, I think it's a good idea. I'd love to be able to post up a thread where people would be welcome to ask me about anything about me. If I wanted to do so in my blog, I'd have done so by now...but I don't, because I feel like that lacks much exposure. Blog entries are notoriously short-lived, sometimes even being immediately covered up by the next entry and getting next to no traffic except from others with blogs who happen to be browsing in the area.

Personally I think it would be pretty easy to moderate such a section, and emblems could be given out for those who run their thread well. I also think it'd be a good place for people to ask just about anyone, especially staff members, anything and perhaps get to know a person so that it could spark a friendship or maybe a good discussion...even if it's taken off to PM/VM as the topic meanders away from being on-topic for an AMA thread.

Honest
April 20th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Edit: I'd also say that Chit Chat and Polls could house such a subforum. It's more or less not directed at new members, nor is it for Pokémon discussions, and CC&P is more or less the lighthearted, off-topic (ish, I think?) discussion center.

First off, I'm going to agree with, I feel like a whole new section just for this is a bit silly and extra, and CCP would serve such an idea well. I'd be cool with a subforum more.

Anyway, as for the idea itself, it's not a bad idea. I don't exactly recall the Members Fanclub all that well, but it was closed down for a reason, and I feel the two (this idea and MFC) are fairly related. I don't know what was wrong with MFC, but if we already know our mistakes, then we can fix them.

There's one thing I want to say, though, and that's that I feel there should be some sort of restriction on who can make the threads. Not a very crazy one, not like getting 5,000 for blogs. But I feel like without one, the threads can get spammed by newbies and such. I was thinking "having been a PC member for __ amount of time" would serve well.*

*I'm assuming that this would work sort of like the blogs Nick mentioned worked, with people creating a thread for themselves and having people ask questions and talk or whatever. If, instead, other people make the threads (like in Member Fanclubs), then forget that.

God
April 20th, 2013, 02:57 PM
What went wrong with Member Fan Clubs (imo) was just that it was pure member idolatry and spam, and it was only the same five or six threads which were being posted in on a daily basis. I'm sure Nick has some way of identifying the differences between Member Fan Clubs and this idea he has (which I support), but I think the main issue is not his idea itself, but how to make sure it stays a separate entity from Member Fan Clubs.

bobandbill
April 20th, 2013, 03:43 PM
It would definitely need some thought and a plan to avoid it becoming like Member Fanclubs for myself to want to support it, really. When I was a member MF seemed like a right mass and ego boosting section for a few more popular members, I frankly I'm not too confident that can be easily avoided.

A thread form carries less risk I suppose than a section...?

droomph
April 20th, 2013, 03:56 PM
It would definitely need some thought and a plan to avoid it becoming like Member Fanclubs for myself to want to support it, really. When I was a member MF seemed like a right mass and ego boosting section for a few more popular members, I frankly I'm not too confident that can be easily avoided.

A thread form carries less risk I suppose than a section...?Member Fanclubs - the word "fanclubs" invokes a feeling of omg ur so cool and would naturally turn into such a forum that it had. Maybe if you named it something less like that (I suggest "playpen"), it would be better off, because that word makes people think of all of them being on the same level, and no core member or something that's the focus, and a place for them to get used to each other, so there's less point of "omg ur the best!" and exclusion and all that.

etc.

Aquacorde
April 20th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Yeah when I read this I immediately thought "oh not member fanclubs..." but then I thought about it and "oh, not member fanclubs!" I like this idea. But it seems like it's one of those things where a thread would be too crowded, a blog too short-lived, and a subforum not populated enough. If this idea does go ahead, I would prefer to see it as a subforum of probably CCP because that gives enough space for organization- I was pretty put off by the similar thread in OT because it was a bit chaotic and hard to follow. Of course there should be limitations on who can start threads there. Member for x amount of time OR post count over x would probably be fine. I'm not sure about the exact numbers- 1 year/2k, maybe? Or is that too long? Do you think threads should require mod approval to prevent a mess? idk. This would be a fun thing though.

Noah Ridgewood
April 20th, 2013, 05:07 PM
What I had in mind was, a member would create a thread on their own. In the original post, they'd include some basic information that they feel comfortable with including. First name, age, gender, maybe a few misc. facts about them and some quirks they have as well as some interests and open it up for members to get to know them. It's sort of like how an introduction thread in The Welcome Lounge would be made. Then, members will post their questions, and the OP would mass reply to them all whenever they can, and it'll continue until whenever. I'm kind of going with the idea that threads there will require approval before they show, because I think its important for an OP to include more than just something as simple as something like "ask me anything. okay go!!" It would be called Member Interaction Center, and would be a stand alone forum. But I'm open to ideas, of course. If someone has a question/comment about their reply to their questions', they can reply there. It's not a boasting forum, it's a ice breaking forum.

Sheep
April 20th, 2013, 05:24 PM
This is a pretty unique idea that I feel has potential to benefit our members as it can be very hard for members - old and new - to settle into a forum of this size. People get intimidated of staff and even members with higher post count, so a place to break the ice and interact with some of the regulars or newer members would provide for a nice way to get to know each other. As someone who spent the first few months on PC petrified of everyone, I surely do think this would help out a bit and am for it 100%!

You can argue that blogs or VMs provide this, but the former is not accessible to everyone and leaving VMs to ask people questions might come off as strange to the one receiving the messages. It's easier if you know exactly who is interested/open to questions and "getting to know moments" with other members, which a member info thread can provide.

I agree with Derk/Twilight Sky that keeping everything in a single thread will definitely get messy given how many people will probably be interested in this. It'd be nicer to separate the section so posts are easier to find.

God
April 20th, 2013, 05:30 PM
What I had in mind was, a member would create a thread on their own. In the original post, they'd include some basic information that they feel comfortable with including. First name, age, gender, maybe a few misc. facts about them and some quirks they have as well as some interests and open it up for members to get to know them. It's sort of like how an introduction thread in The Welcome Lounge would be made. Then, members will post their questions, and the OP would mass reply to them all whenever they can, and it'll continue until whenever. I'm kind of going with the idea that threads there will require approval before they show, because I think its important for an OP to include more than just something as simple as something like "ask me anything. okay go!!" It would be called Member Interaction Center, and would be a stand alone forum. But I'm open to ideas, of course. If someone has a question/comment about their reply to their questions', they can reply there. It's not a boasting forum, it's a ice breaking forum.

i'm totally 100% up for this then
are there any other particular rules you'd see within the section?

bobandbill
April 20th, 2013, 05:42 PM
What I had in mind was, a member would create a thread on their own. In the original post, they'd include some basic information that they feel comfortable with including. First name, age, gender, maybe a few misc. facts about them and some quirks they have as well as some interests and open it up for members to get to know them. It's sort of like how an introduction thread in The Welcome Lounge would be made. Then, members will post their questions, and the OP would mass reply to them all whenever they can, and it'll continue until whenever. I'm kind of going with the idea that threads there will require approval before they show, because I think its important for an OP to include more than just something as simple as something like "ask me anything. okay go!!" It would be called Member Interaction Center, and would be a stand alone forum. But I'm open to ideas, of course. If someone has a question/comment about their reply to their questions', they can reply there. It's not a boasting forum, it's a ice breaking forum.Thread approval would be a start.

That said I am still on the fence with it at best - all in all it doesn't sound all too different from what I remember of member fanclubs besides that a person makes the thread of themselves/by themselves. With boasting or not, I can't see more popular members not getting the spotlight in the long term without something else in place, and that in itself may discourage newer members. Thing is, I'm not too sure what else would do to help that... so anyone have ideas on that aspect? Maybe some 'spotlight' feature that goes through all newer threads (but somehow doesn't miss any)...?

'Course, could be just me who feels this way. =p

flight
April 20th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Thread approval would be a start.

That said I am still on the fence with it at best - all in all it doesn't sound all too different from what I remember of member fanclubs besides that a person makes the thread of themselves/by themselves. With boasting or not, I can't see more popular members not getting the spotlight in the long term without something else in place, and that in itself may discourage newer members. Thing is, I'm not too sure what else would do to help that... so anyone have ideas on that aspect? Maybe some 'spotlight' feature that goes through all newer threads (but somehow doesn't miss any)...?

'Course, could be just me who feels this way. =p

The problem is that....it's kind of an issue that'll happen regardless. You'd expect more popular members like Hikari10, Nica, and the like to have tons of replies, and there's really not much you can do about that. I feel that it's a problem with the general environment of PC more than anything else, and that if you're a new member and no one knows you, then some people are going to shy away from you until you "integrate" yourself better into the community, in other words. It's kind of a saddening thing, but inevitable nonetheless. Of course, I would personally encourage new members to post AMAs in that subforum regardless, as I feel that, as a community, we're pretty open about ourselves and we're very willing to get to know one another. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't, but it never really hurts to try!

tigerBLADE
April 20th, 2013, 06:10 PM
I think as suggested a few posts above, you could provide the time interval of members to sign up to create their threads. For example, let's say that tomorrow, you could allow about, I dunno, 5-10 people to sign up to create threads, and those threads can be approved, while the rest ask questions, or whatever. The people who signed up could wait a couple of weeks before posting one again, or maybe there can be a general wait list for people to create threads?

Whichever the case can be, maybe by having a smaller number of threads at one time, there can be more encouragements for people to ask questions to members that they don't know or don't speak to on a regular basis.. I mean, of course, it's ultimately the members' decisions and initiatives to ask questions to the people that interest them, but you know, even the smallest encouragements can help?

Sheep
April 20th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Yeah, I definitely think there should be some kind of requirement to meet before you can make a thread. :3 Not sure how well the "must be a member for ___ weeks/months/etc" would work since that would mean members who had an account for a while with no/almost no posts would be able to create a thread. A post count limit might work better; that way we can ensure those who make threads are at least slightly known around the community so their thread can garner a bit more replies and we don't get too many threads from newer members.

bobandbill
April 20th, 2013, 06:41 PM
I think as suggested a few posts above, you could provide the time interval of members to sign up to create their threads. For example, let's say that tomorrow, you could allow about, I dunno, 5-10 people to sign up to create threads, and those threads can be approved, while the rest ask questions, or whatever. The people who signed up could wait a couple of weeks before posting one again, or maybe there can be a general wait list for people to create threads?

Whichever the case can be, maybe by having a smaller number of threads at one time, there can be more encouragements for people to ask questions to members that they don't know or don't speak to on a regular basis.. I mean, of course, it's ultimately the members' decisions and initiatives to ask questions to the people that interest them, but you know, even the smallest encouragements can help?This may help, coupled with a sign up thread sticky.

Noah Ridgewood
April 20th, 2013, 06:47 PM
I'm okay with that restriction. I don't like the idea of restricting people with X amount of posts. I think it's at least worth a shot. We've never really had anything like this before, and I think testing the waters (maybe have a trial period where supporters can access it to see how it works and how well it holds up?) a bit could help. Worse case scenario is it doesn't turn out to be what I'm hoping (and expecting) it will be.

I mocked up a forum:

http://i.imgur.com/eYiAyKZ.png

Honest
April 20th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Oh, I like the waitlist idea a whole lot better than the "must be a member for x amount of time/have x amount of posts" one. I feel like that method would be a whole lot organized and neater. I'd say a maximum of 10 per week, and then after the next week, another 10, and so on till the cycle eventually repeats itself. There's a first come first serve basis on that, true, but your turn will inevitably come. And if there really is a massive amount, we can always increase the number of threads to 15 or even 20 per week.

I really like this idea. And I like the screenie, Nick. :3

flight
April 20th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Nick, do you feel that it would be better as a forum section entirely on it's own or perhaps a subform of NU/W (I am forever calling the Welcome Lounge this, idc lmao)? Just curious or whether or not it matters.

Honest
April 20th, 2013, 06:57 PM
I think Nick said that he wanted it as a stand alone forum, which technically isn't a terrible idea. I don't see why we can't implement it. Personally, I feel like it'd serve better as a subforum for CCP (not WL), but I can see why Nick would want it as a stand alone forum. More publicity and it kind of makes it more important, imo. Don't know if Nick sees it the same way as me, but that's just me!

Noah Ridgewood
April 20th, 2013, 06:58 PM
Oh, I like the waitlist idea a whole lot better than the "must be a member for x amount of time/have x amount of posts" one. I feel like that method would be a whole lot organized and neater. I'd say a maximum of 10 per week, and then after the next week, another 10, and so on till the cycle eventually repeats itself. There's a first come first serve basis on that, true, but your turn will inevitably come. And if there really is a massive amount, we can always increase the number of threads to 15 or even 20 per week.

I really like this idea. And I like the screenie, Nick. :3
We can have a public waiting list and an expected release date per each thread. List all of the threads that were posted in the first post (remove them after they're approved) and put a date next to them for when the moderator is preparing to release them. That way, people know that a) their thread was received and b) there thread will be posted.

Nick, do you feel that it would be better as a forum section entirely on it's own or perhaps a subform of NU/W (I am forever calling the Welcome Lounge this, idc lmao)? Just curious or whether or not it matters.
I don't think that it would fair well as a subforum for NU/W, because I don't think that this forum is meant for new members. I'd rather it be a stand-alone forum, at least in the beginning and especially since we rebranded the off topic forums to each have an individual purpose. MIC's purpose doesn't really align with any of the off topic forums, I don't think. Maybe with CC&P, a little, but not enough to make it a sub-forum of it, I don't think.

Arx
April 20th, 2013, 07:02 PM
The waitlist idea sounds really good imo.
A standalone forum? It could work. Good luck on this guys. If you need help, I'm there.
Edit : How are we going to deal with spammers? Especially the "romhacking" types.

Honest
April 20th, 2013, 07:07 PM
We can have a public waiting list and an expected release date per each thread. List all of the threads that were posted in the first post (remove them after they're approved) and put a date next to them for when the moderator is preparing to release them. That way, people know that a) their thread was received and b) there thread will be posted.

Exactly! Should there be a cap to the waiting list, though? Like, maximum 50 or 100? I'd personally say no, cause that'd be unfair if a person who's late really wants to reserve a spot, a cap might just drag things out, but I want your opinion Nick. =D


I don't think that it would fair well as a subforum for NU/W, because I don't think that this forum is meant for new members. I'd rather it be a stand-alone forum, at least in the beginning and especially since we rebranded the off topic forums to each have an individual purpose. MIC's purpose doesn't really align with any of the off topic forums, I don't think. Maybe with CC&P, a little, but not enough to make it a sub-forum of it, I don't think.

I can see the logic in that.

tigerBLADE
April 20th, 2013, 07:07 PM
The waitlist idea sounds really good imo.
A standalone forum? It could work. Good luck on this guys. If you need help, I'm there.
Edit : How are we going to deal with spammers? Especially the "romhacking" types.

Well, like said before, there can be mod approval before a thread can be created, so, they can just check off a spammy thread before it's officially created.

Plus the whole forum can be checked regularly be moderators.

Noah Ridgewood
April 20th, 2013, 07:07 PM
The waitlist idea sounds really good imo.
A standalone forum? It could work. Good luck on this guys. If you need help, I'm there.
Edit : How are we going to deal with spammers? Especially the "romhacking" types.
The same way we deal with spammers elsewhere. Delete their posts and infract them, if need be. Personally, I don't see why people would spam this forum. Especially since I don't think I'd want to have post count enabled here. The purpose of the forum is strictly to learn more about the members who you see every day, not to increase your post count. Spamming is usually done to benefit the spammer, like in Trade Corner, spamming is done by most people because they want a Pokémon. In rom hacking, spamming is done because they want to know when something is going to be released. Spamming doesn't really happen in Forum Games, because nothing really comes to immediate benefit the spammer, and this forum isn't meant to benefit people replying to threads past "Oh I feel like I know more about you now!" "Oh, we have that in common!" and incentive to interact with a member and become friends.

Arx
April 20th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Postcount off is a so good idea. I have a non-interesting idea.
-What about a thread like the "New User of the Week/Month"? It would focus on getting to know new users more. Although, they do it in Welcome Lounge too
Just a random idea. Preparing for further brainstorming...

Honest
April 20th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Postcount off is a so good idea. I have a non-interesting idea.
-What about a thread like the "New User of the Week/Month"? It would focus on getting to know new users more. Although, they do it in Welcome Lounge too
Just a random idea. Preparing for further brainstorming...

With the sheer number of members that join per day, I think that wouldn't be the best of ideas. It also kind of stays from what the topic is about. :x

If you were to suggest MIC thread of the week or something (member thread of the week, etc), it'd still be a bad idea. There's no reason to give one person out of however many we'd let per week get more attention than the others. It'd also unintentionally insinuate a popularity contest-like sort of scenario. Which would be bad.

Noah Ridgewood
April 20th, 2013, 07:25 PM
I don't think it's fair to feature a member a week. Everyone is equal in the MIC.

Arx
April 20th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Btw how many people will be able to make a thread at once? And for how many time will the thread stay before another cycle?

Honest
April 20th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Nathan, read man. :c

Nothing's set in stone, obviously, but people have recommended a waiting list where new people's threads go up every week. I'm gonna guess the number of treads correlates with the number of people who sign up.

Noah Ridgewood
April 20th, 2013, 07:37 PM
I think 10 is a good number for the beginning. 10 a week, and when a moderator notices a new thread, they'll check it out and add it to the waiting list if it's approved. Threads will stay indefinitely after they're approved, but we'd only approve 10 a week to make sure everyone gets a chance to have people ask them questions and nobody goes unnoticed.

Honest
April 20th, 2013, 07:46 PM
So, does all the positive support mean it'll be going up soon, or would hstaff still need time to ponder?

Excuse me if I seem hasty, I just genuinely think this is a brilliant idea that could become a staple of PC. =D

Noah Ridgewood
April 20th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Needless to say, I'm going to be extremely disappointed (and bitter) if this doesn't happen because I'm really excited about it too! But it's still yet to go up in HQ and that's a necessity.

awolfsquared
April 20th, 2013, 07:53 PM
At first I wasn't all for the idea, but after all the posts, it seems like an excellent idea. I think the waiting list is probably gonna be best cause it would allow only a certain amount of user to sign up and prevents an overload of members creating their thread all at once. Would the moderator of the thread would approve of a thread based on how long they've been on the form/how many post they have or would it be open to everyone? I think any member should be able to use it cause it could be an opportunity to get to know someone new. I say at first the limit should be 10-15 members/threads per week and then as the forum gets bigger and more used, then it could be increased to 20-30.

Melody
April 20th, 2013, 08:04 PM
I think 10 is a good number for the beginning. 10 a week, and when a moderator notices a new thread, they'll check it out and add it to the waiting list if it's approved. Threads will stay indefinitely after they're approved, but we'd only approve 10 a week to make sure everyone gets a chance to have people ask them questions and nobody goes unnoticed.

Personally I'm not a fan of rate limiting the number of threads that are approved. I think it'd stifle the growth of the section way too early in it's life and make some members feel like it's too much trouble. I'd much rather there be an active thread as soon as the mod approves it to be honest, and if thread approvals HAVE TO be spaced out, then space it out over a shorter period like say, a day or two days, and temporarily pin the newly approved ones so that the activity down below doesn't have to override the limelight of the newly created ones. We could do something reasonable like 3-4 every other day or something, and there's more than enough S-mods and qualified mods to handle that even if the section is only granted one moderator or something at first. (So you'd only need to pick one existing mod, and a new mod for example)

Noah Ridgewood
April 20th, 2013, 08:07 PM
I'm good with that too, Pachy. :cer_smile:

Honest
April 20th, 2013, 08:08 PM
I don't know, I feel like not spacing it would make things a lot more confusing and such. Your idea would make it so that threads constantly get posted in, and in the long run, "popular" members would have their threads alive whilst the others die off. With the 10 per week idea, we can prevent that. Perhaps we can increase the number to 20, but I wouldn't go further than that.

Edit: wait, no, something wasn't cleared up. With the original 10 threads per week, would the old threads get locked at the end of the week while the news ones are made?

Noah Ridgewood
April 20th, 2013, 08:10 PM
I don't know, I feel like not spacing it would make things a lot more confusing and such. Your idea would make it so that threads constantly get posted in, and in the long run, "popular" members would have their threads alive whilst the others die off. With the 10 per week idea, we can prevent that. Perhaps we can increase the number to 20, but I wouldn't go further than that.

Edit: wait, no, something wasn't cleared up. With the original 10 threads per week, would the old threads get locked at the end of the week while the news ones are made?
Makes a lot of sense, though, as an argument. If we have people wait too long after they've done what they'd need to do, they'll lose interest.

ie: Pottermore

Team Fail
April 20th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Well, like said before, there can be mod approval before a thread can be created, so, they can just check off a spammy thread before it's officially created.

Plus the whole forum can be checked regularly be moderators.

Heck, assign a moderator there and all is taken care of. As long as people report, that is.

droomph
April 20th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Ideas.

So for the first week, you get stickied for that week. If you get banned or something, naturally you'll be unstickied.

Then, if you get enough recognition from the people around you (say, at least 20 posts?), then you get unstickied, because you'll do well enough without the special attention. And if you're just pouring with questions, you'll get unstickied as soon as that happens.

However, if people ignore you, you get an extra week or two to "integrate" yourself, and you stay up in the stickies for that time.

And then regardless, you are unstickied, and then it's just like any other thread in any other forum.

Or maybe, if you don't like having 15 stickied threads, then try using a prefix like [Newcomers!] so that they'll stand out.

Makes a lot of sense, though, as an argument. If we have people wait too long after they've done what they'd need to do, they'll lose interest.

ie: Pottermore

Or maybe at midnight (or whatever time the mod is okay with) every day, every not-against-the-rules thread will be automatically approved and added with that sticky or prefix I was talking about, so that those people have the spotlight.

Thus we have the whole "CRAZY MESS" thing taken care of, and it wouldn't be that long of a wait for the members to be like "you know what? Screw this." Bam. Compromise.

Heck, assign a moderator there and all is taken care of. As long as people report, that is.

I don't see this as much of a problem either way.

Team Fail
April 20th, 2013, 08:53 PM
How about, just to bandwagon off of this, why not give such a location a test run? Get someone to plot out some rules, hire a temporary moderator to the section, and see how well it goes? If it doesn't go well, just remove it, and if the forum prospers for a given period of time - say a month - keep it going and permanently hire a moderator (and more if needed)?

Noah Ridgewood
April 20th, 2013, 08:57 PM
That's what I would like to do.

Melody
April 20th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Ideas.

So for the first week, you get stickied for that week. If you get banned or something, naturally you'll be unstickied.

Then, if you get enough recognition from the people around you (say, at least 20 posts?), then you get unstickied, because you'll do well enough without the special attention. And if you're just pouring with questions, you'll get unstickied as soon as that happens.

However, if people ignore you, you get an extra week or two to "integrate" yourself, and you stay up in the stickies for that time.

And then regardless, you are unstickied, and then it's just like any other thread in any other forum.

Or maybe, if you don't like having 15 stickied threads, then try using a prefix like [Newcomers!] so that they'll stand out.



Or maybe at midnight (or whatever time the mod is okay with) every day, every not-against-the-rules thread will be automatically approved and added with that sticky or prefix I was talking about, so that those people have the spotlight.

Thus we have the whole "CRAZY MESS" thing taken care of, and it wouldn't be that long of a wait for the members to be like "you know what? Screw this." Bam. Compromise.



I don't see this as much of a problem either way.

I like this idea. Perhaps let me simplify it a bit by suggesting that once your thread gets say, 5 or 10 questions and answers (10 or 20 replies basically), or in a week...whichever comes first, you get your thread unstuck. I'd love to run it this way theoretically if I were running it, along with approving 2 to 4 new threads every other day or so.

How about, just to bandwagon off of this, why not give such a location a test run? Get someone to plot out some rules, hire a temporary moderator to the section, and see how well it goes? If it doesn't go well, just remove it, and if the forum prospers for a given period of time - say a month - keep it going and permanently hire a moderator (and more if needed)?

I think that'd be great too, it'd be a good chance to test a member out for moderator suitability, and maybe give a deserving member a greater shot at being re-modded somewhere else later if the project fails? (god I hope it doesn't)

Cid
April 20th, 2013, 09:46 PM
I really like this idea. Lately I've been thinking of perhaps lifting the rule in the Welcome Lounge that forbids people from derailing a thread into an AMA / a conversation between the newbie and the greeters, but I know that that rule is there to allow people to branch out into other sections (and in some cases, to lessen post count fishing). Otherwise they'd be stuck in the Welcome Lounge, and as cool as the section is, there's a lot more of PC to check out than that one.

With a Member Interaction Center, it could serve that purpose way better than the Welcome Lounge would. You wouldn't have to worry about derailing the thread too much because it's meant to be an AMA and to spark conversations. That point being much more evident if post count is disabled. You also have the advantage of making it available for everyone, both new users and old users.

I didn't know what to think of it at first, but after reading the replies in this thread, it could really work well.

Noah Ridgewood
April 21st, 2013, 07:02 AM
http://i.imgur.com/CNhVFnY.png

And now we wait...

Team Fail
April 21st, 2013, 07:10 AM
http://i.imgur.com/CNhVFnY.png

Now we wait...

I'm thinking with the immense amount of support here, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

..And when you think about it, what could possibly go wrong in such a section as this?

droomph
April 21st, 2013, 10:26 AM
So… since I'm not so experienced in dictatorship, how long would this take? Just curiousI'm thinking with the immense amount of support here, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

..And when you think about it, what could possibly go wrong in such a section as this?

Except for the trolls but we all know that can't be helped

Team Fail
April 21st, 2013, 10:34 AM
So… since I'm not so experienced in dictatorship, how long would this take? Just curious

Except for the trolls but we all know that can't be helped

It'd probably take a day or two. Gotta hear arguments from all the staff, no?

As for trolls, PC's staff can deal with them easily. banhammer

donavannj
April 21st, 2013, 11:04 AM
It'd probably take a bit longer than a day or two for a decision to be made.

It does seem like it would turn into Member Fanclubs if things weren't strictly moderated.

Honest
April 21st, 2013, 11:43 AM
With the ideas of including a waitlist and a steady flow of threads, I think we could successfully moderate it. We're limiting what happens, but not so much to the point where it destroys the purpose of the MIC. I feel like it'll work.

Also... lol @ HQ description.

Kura
April 21st, 2013, 12:27 PM
To be honest, I'm still a bit weary of the idea because I feel that it's strange that discussion-like subsections such as tabletop games were taken out.. in favour of something member-centric..

Maybe I'm just an old fogey who remembers the old DCC just being a grand "hey lets put on a topic where everyone contributes and we learn more about each other" and memberclubs being an ego-stroke then so I just feel that there are other alternatives to making a whole section dedicated to it unless it's somewhere like Other Trivia's subsection where posts wont matter so it wont be like a giant competition of people saying to others "POST IN MY THREAD GOGOGOGO GO!!"

Shiny Celebi
April 21st, 2013, 01:15 PM
I would think there could be a rule there that prevents people from hijacking other's AMA threads? So posts that say "go post in my thread plz" would be not allowed.I can see that it would probably have to be heavily moderated to not turn into that, though I still think the idea of an AMA section is great overall.

Arx
April 21st, 2013, 01:23 PM
@Shiny Celebi
That could MAYBE count as spam. It depends on HStaff though, I hope they accept it as it sounds like a very nice idea.

Kura
April 21st, 2013, 01:36 PM
I would think there could be a rule there that prevents people from hijacking other's AMA threads? So posts that say "go post in my thread plz" would be not allowed.I can see that it would probably have to be heavily moderated to not turn into that, though I still think the idea of an AMA section is great overall.

I could see it more on VMs, IRC, Battle Server, MSN, blogs, DCC, etc.. places like that, not directly in the section.. but people who will bring it up anyways just because they want their thread bumped for the heck of it.

Either way, we could always try it out and then shut it down if it's not working out, but my point still stands that I dislike how discussion based Subsections have been taken out in favor of something member-centric.

Another solution instead of a whole subsection would be something like the picture thread had: One thread for questions, another thread for answers. This would be put in other trivia to prevent people from spamming the first thread with too many questions over and over again in new posts. Hear me out here.
There are 2 threads, the question thread, and the answer thread. The first thread is sorta like the poll of the week. People contribute questions throughout, and at the end of every week, all of those questions get bolded/ added/ replaced onto the first posts of both threads (or maybe only the answer thread; it's up to the mod.)
Then in the second thread, people sorta do what they do in OVP threads, where they copy/paste those questions they want to answer that week, in a post, and answer them below in bolded text. You know.. like
Example:
what is your favourite food?
I really love pasta!

(or vice versa with the bolding)

That way, people can still contribute questions to the first thread continuously, and the answers don't get jumbled in with the answers thread. People have a week to answer the questions they want to answer, everyone can participate, and no one gets looked over.
After all, people might be uncomfortable answering a question directly asked to them but might feel that they have to or they'd be ignoring the other person. This is a great solution for it!!

Maybe we can also help keep it uncluttered by saying that each person can only ask one question per week so we dont get a flood of possible questions, too.

How does that sound for an alternative?

droomph
April 21st, 2013, 02:45 PM
I could see it more on VMs, IRC, Battle Server, MSN, blogs, DCC, etc.. places like that, not directly in the section.. but people who will bring it up anyways just because they want their thread bumped for the heck of it.

Either way, we could always try it out and then shut it down if it's not working out, but my point still stands that I dislike how discussion based Subsections have been taken out in favor of something member-centric.

Another solution instead of a whole subsection would be something like the picture thread had: One thread for questions, another thread for answers. This would be put in other trivia to prevent people from spamming the first thread with too many questions over and over again in new posts. Hear me out here.
There are 2 threads, the question thread, and the answer thread. The first thread is sorta like the poll of the week. People contribute questions throughout, and at the end of every week, all of those questions get bolded/ added/ replaced onto the first posts of both threads (or maybe only the answer thread; it's up to the mod.)
Then in the second thread, people sorta do what they do in OVP threads, where they copy/paste those questions they want to answer that week, in a post, and answer them below in bolded text. You know.. like
Example:
what is your favourite food?
I really love pasta!

(or vice versa with the bolding)

That way, people can still contribute questions to the first thread continuously, and the answers don't get jumbled in with the answers thread. People have a week to answer the questions they want to answer, everyone can participate, and no one gets looked over.
After all, people might be uncomfortable answering a question directly asked to them but might feel that they have to or they'd be ignoring the other person. This is a great solution for it!!

Maybe we can also help keep it uncluttered by saying that each person can only ask one question per week so we dont get a flood of possible questions, too.

How does that sound for an alternative?Well, looking at Reddit AMA:

http://i.imgur.com/1y32s9x.png

now, I'm not saying GO COPY THEM (in fact, the opposite), but we can take a few pointers from them. For example, the reply format should be default here over the linear format. And then…

…anything else?

Okay, I admit that it wasn't a good solution, but I would think without it, it would go something like the celebrations thread, which isn't that bad actually.

Noah Ridgewood
April 21st, 2013, 05:32 PM
So… since I'm not so experienced in dictatorship, how long would this take? Just curious

Except for the trolls but we all know that can't be helped
Anywhere between 48 hours and the end of time. Hard to say. Depends on the reception, and ironing out details, and so on and so forth.

Noah Ridgewood
April 28th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Just wanted to let you guys know that majority voted in favor of testing it out with supporters, so pretty soon you'll have a new forum to spam contribute to. :)

Team Fail
April 28th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Just wanted to let you guys know that majority voted in favor of testing it out with supporters, so pretty soon you'll have a new forum to spam contribute to. :)

I'm actually really happy to hear this. Looking forward to seeing it! :D

Edit: yay spam FORUM CONTRIBUTIONS.

God
April 28th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Just wanted to let you guys know that majority voted in favor of testing it out with supporters, so pretty soon you'll have a new forum to spam contribute to. :)

Not that I'm not very happy about this, but I'm just curious as to why this is being tested out with supporters rather than the general public? Again, very satisfied this is coming into existence and what not.

droomph
April 28th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Not that I'm not very happy about this, but I'm just curious as to why this is being tested out with supporters rather than the general public? Again, very satisfied this is coming into existence and what not.

We're the test-group for PokéCommunity Inc., kinda like how KFC tests their new products in Missouri or something to see whether people will like it.

Hikamaru
April 28th, 2013, 09:35 PM
I'm glad it's finally going to be implemented, and I'm lucky me and my fellow Supporters get to be among the first to trial it!

awolfsquared
April 28th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Good to hear this actually getting off the ground soon, I can't wait to test it out myself.

LORD ANTE
April 28th, 2013, 10:19 PM
Next let's make it so only regular members can participate. :)

Synerjee
April 28th, 2013, 10:26 PM
Ooh, can't wait to test this thing out! Hope it goes well.

Elaitenstile
April 29th, 2013, 01:07 AM
How about two of my suggestions for this will-be forum...

★A "Who's that member" thread. This will give faint clues about who the member is, and the guessers should guess the correct one. Obviously his/her friends will find it easier to guess, so that will lead people to interact with more people. Also the member chosen shouldn't be notified, because he might tip his friend that it is him (it will be funny to see a person who guessed himself!)

★Moar frequent MotYs. Something like a Member of the Month will do. Because we have to wait a whole year and it will give publicity to the MotY.

God
April 29th, 2013, 02:26 AM
★Moar frequent MotYs. Something like a Member of the Month will do. Because we have to wait a whole year and it will give publicity to the MotY.

As far as I know, due to abuse by um, various members (me), MOTM's aren't going to happen again because they only give rise to popularity issues and what not.

bobandbill
April 29th, 2013, 03:34 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't be for MotM coming back (and that'd just possibly promote one of the issues that this section makes me worry about!)

Aryan143
April 29th, 2013, 06:12 AM
Then we can make MOTQ or Month of the Quarter which can be held every three months.

awolfsquared
April 29th, 2013, 06:17 AM
I think what he's saying is that the only thing similar to MOTM that will ever happen would be MOFY. No matter how often it happens though it will probably end up being more of a popularity contest though.So I don't think that's what's gonna happen in this new section.

shenanigans
April 29th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Yeah, no from me to MotY happening any more than once a year (indeed, if it was my choice, it'd be scrapped completely but there's another time and place for that!) since it's a fairly big event, can turn into a popularity contest if held too often, PC might not even hold that level of activity any more, etc. I think MotY is fine as it is.

Noah Ridgewood
April 29th, 2013, 07:32 AM
Member of the Year has nothing to do with the Member Interaction Center, so if that's what you want to talk about and maybe get more of, please make a new thread to discuss that. :/

Honest
April 29th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Let the MotM thing be yearly, if not decade-ly.

ANYWAY. I'm quite pleased to hear that we're having a test run, it should be awesome. I really think this can be a success, we just have to stick with it. =D

Arx
April 29th, 2013, 03:22 PM
I wasn't around enough to test MotM. I'm really happy this idea was approved. I hope it comes soon enough available to regular members. Can't wait to use/help.

droomph
April 29th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Member of the Year has nothing to do with the Member Interaction Center, so if that's what you want to talk about and maybe get more of, please make a new thread to discuss that. :/Well, considering this is the forum to get to know about members, if (and hopefully never) they hold it, shouldn't it be held in the Member's Interaction forum?

Anyways.

Honest
April 29th, 2013, 03:34 PM
^No. How does holding the MotM, which is essentially a popularity contest, being held in a section where you find out more about people make any sense?

droomph
April 29th, 2013, 03:36 PM
^No. How does holding the MotM, which is essentially a popularity contest, being help in a section where you find out more about people make any sense?

Oh well, I guess that makes sense. Just because of the forum name and the contest name, etc.

LORD ANTE
April 29th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Like Dipu said, MotY is nothing more than people voting on other people in categories they think they are appropriate in. In very little ways does that relate to a section made for members interacting and engaging themselves in things that allow them to grow closer to each other.

Arx
April 29th, 2013, 03:49 PM
If I think well, this forum is for users to meet and get closer to each and maybe create bonds so I do not see how an event like this would fit.
And I see what you meant droomph.

Honest
April 29th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Wait, so when's the trail run going to begin, Nick? I wanna experience it from the start lmao.

EDIT: TRIAL RUN

Arx
April 29th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Maybe after they choose a moderator, create the rules, prepares something. I dunno. Or is everything ready to begin Patchisou?

bobandbill
April 29th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Give us some time, guys! =p If we go with a prototype subsection (I think that's ideal so the supporter's section won't be suddenly cluttered), we'd need to have an admin make it (so Nick can't just do it all himself), someone will need to write up at least some prototype rules/guidelines about the forum section, and so forth. If we go with a trial sign up process then there'd need to be a thread for that too.

I doubt we'd choose a mod from the getgo, especially for a trial. We'll worry about that when it happens though.

Kura
April 30th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Member of the Year has nothing to do with the Member Interaction Center, so if that's what you want to talk about and maybe get more of, please make a new thread to discuss that. :/

Since they have nothing to do with each other, but the former is held less often due to it becoming a popularity contest, I must then ask: If the MIC starts becoming a popularity contest, will it then close? Do you feel that testing it on supporters will give you ample enough variation to distinguish if it will?

I guess that's what testing is all about haha.. but I was just wondering how strict on popularity this might actually be.

flight
April 30th, 2013, 10:13 AM
If the MIC starts becoming a popularity contest, will it then close? Do you feel that testing it on supporters will give you ample enough variation to distinguish if it will?

I remember stating before that this is something that'll be pretty much inevitable, though. You're going to have the more "popular" members of PC getting a heck of a lot more replies than those that are a lot less well-known, and really, there's not much that can be done about that. It's just the nature of how PC is, and because people are somewhat less inclined (generally speaking) to approach a member that they don't know, rather than approach someone they do know and ask them questions.

yay, the big 14k!

Kura
April 30th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Just a bit strange to me that if it's inevitable.. that this would still be happening.

But hopefully staff can sort out some sort of scheme that will be fair to everyone (including answering/not answering personal questions.)

flight
April 30th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Just a bit strange to me that if it's inevitable.. that this would still be happening.


See, here's the thing that I believe really separates the two (and anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here):

When you're considering something huge like MOTM, the categories, and everything else is almost always "rigged" (or claimed to be, anyway). It seems that the categories are meant to be tailored towards a specific member, or a specific group of members. The votes themselves can also be biased, which is why MOTM/MOTY became such a huge controversy, as a lot of you know.

When concerning the MIC, there really isn't much bias to work off of in the first place. It's really up to the person and whether they're up to approaching someone that they don't know and ask them questions. It's the same way as getting to know someone new in real life: Are you good with meeting new people, or are you just more comfortable asking questions to your friends? I feel that this would be one of the major factors that influences people when the forum is made.

Kura
April 30th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Well let's just hope that this pans out in the end.

But as a side note: I swear to God, if I see ANY member, (and I'm calling you out Nica, specifically, as an example because you do this too much even still, and I hate seeing it)
...but if I see you, or anyone else trying to pimp out their thread ("HEY GUYS ASK ME SOMETHING *LINK*") anywhere, including IRC and the Showdown server, ESPECIALLY before saying even a simple freaking hello to me (or anyone else that you ask,) I'm calling you out as trying to pander for popularity, screenshotting, and reporting.

I understand that maybe this will only cause whatever member to avoid saying it when they see me around, but I encourage other members to not give in to it for the community's sake (including newer members!)

I am just sick of this behaviour and I wanted to note it here.

flight
April 30th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Well let's just hope that this pans out in the end.

But as a side note: I swear to God, if I see ANY member, (and I'm calling you out Nica, specifically, as an example because you do this too much even still, and I hate seeing it)
...but if I see you, or anyone else trying to pimp out their thread ("HEY GUYS ASK ME SOMETHING *LINK*") anywhere, including IRC and the Showdown server, ESPECIALLY before saying even a simple freaking hello to me (or anyone else that you ask,) I'm calling you out as trying to pander for popularity, screenshotting, and reporting.

I understand that maybe this will only cause whatever member to avoid saying it when they see me around, but I encourage other members to not give in to it for the community's sake (including newer members!)

I am just sick of this behaviour and I wanted to note it here.

...Um..excuse me if I'm missing something here...but is there anything particularly rule-breaking about "pander for popularity?"

Is it obnoxious? And is it unfair? Yes, I suppose you can say that (though I guess it depends on who you ask?). But is it really breaking any rules in particular? Not that I'm aware of, unless a staff member can correct me on that. o_o

derozio
April 30th, 2013, 11:26 AM
It isn't against the rules but it goes against the very reason why MIC is being organized. If users who're already quite popular engage in something like that, this whole thing would just be a waste. Because, if I understand the concept correctly (sorry, haven't really been following this thread. was busy with rl stuff!), it is basically a project intended to bring the whole community together by allowing everyone almost an equal chance to get to know each other. It loses its 'fairness', and quite frankly, its meaning if popular members pander for even more popularity.

So yeah. I agree with Kura. This shouldn't be allowed.

Kura
April 30th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Nope, but the whole reason other things were closed were because of popularity issues (like just stated MOTY) and people feeling bad about them.

When I am approached just to be a number in some thread, I feel bad about it. When I am approached again in the same way after sending PMs about the previous instances, then I feel even worse. When a member feels bad then it shouldn't be something that is taken lightly, IMO..

There's nothing wrong with reporting, and just being able to show others that this is going on, is enough for me. Mods can do whatever actions they want about it. And even if they take no action, if what happened to me is still made aware, I am happy enough.

So I will report if I see it, just to share. That's all. I personally think others should do the same, but others are entitled enough to do what they see fit when in a similar situation.

PS: I am mainly talking about promotion-abuse here by the way.. I'm not going to report measly mentions of things so don't worry, peeps.

flight
April 30th, 2013, 11:33 AM
It isn't against the rules but it goes against the very reason why MIC is being organized. If users who're already quite popular engage in something like that, this whole thing would just be a waste. Because, if I understand the concept correctly (sorry, haven't really been following this thread. was busy with rl stuff!), it is basically a project intended to bring the whole community together by allowing everyone almost an equal chance to get to know each other. It loses its 'fairness', and quite frankly, its meaning if popular members pander for even more popularity.

So yeah. I agree with Kura. This shouldn't be allowed.

I brought up a few points here with Kura in the Showdown chat, and we had some discussion about it, and there are a few issues that I have with outlawing it completely:

Well first off, what are you defining as "pandering for popularity"? Is there a clear line separating "HEY GUYS, POST IN MY THREAD (link)" versus "hey guys, I hope you dont mind, but can anyone post in my mic thread? ^^ (link)". I've established this point a lot in the chat, because the last thing that I would want is the staff coming down as overbearing on an innocent member that simply wants more questions to be asked about themselves, and personally, I don't see anything wrong with that.

I mean, is it really said person's fault that they're "PC popular"? I feel like banning that kind of stuff very slightly implies the such, really. Everyone should be given the opportunity to be known, but if you put your thread out there, yes, chances are you're going to get more replies, and chances are it is kind of unfair that the lesser known people get less replies. But again, do you have alternative solutions besides banning it that can resolve that dilemma? I feel that (though I can be wrong) solutions are very limited, because that would be interfering with the very environment of PC, in a sense.

Just thought I'd put that out there.

Kura
April 30th, 2013, 11:43 AM
I posted an alternate solution earlier about how this could be handled.. which was the 2-thread based thing.. whilst (trying to incorporate some of your ideas too Twilight Sky) but I think only just Droomph saw it.. haha.. but even though his post was nice as inspiration, I see a lot of cattiness on Reddit I wouldn't want to bring here.
However, I didn't see WHY we can't have what I mentioned instead? Do you all just prefer a section or something to stand out? Isn't standing out what we're avoiding?

But.. honestly? I am curious to see how this goes. And if it falls apart then something else might be a good answer to it. Hopefully it goes well (if it's still going through) and this is unneeded.


I mean to bring this all up as worst case scenarios.. but it's happened before and I rather people be made aware than not.
I'm not here just to nitpick, like you say, but I do just want to bring it up.

Hope it doesn't get to that, and hope it goes smoothly.


This whole thread just reminded me of something I need to say in the Staff Feedback thread.

derozio
April 30th, 2013, 11:53 AM
You make a valid point, Derk. When I said "this shouldn't be allowed", I actually didn't mean outright making it equivalent to a punishable offense. I was basically just saying how it defeats the point and is something I wouldn't like seeing. Hadn't really thought of a way to counter the problem that you've brought up, haha.

But yeah. You're right when it comes to the fact that it may not really be possible to segregate PC members into groups like 'popular' and 'not-so-popular' as there's no yardstick available for us to measure popularity by. It ain't black and white. After all, a member that's considered popular in a certain part of PC might not be as popular in other areas and different people have different views about their popularity, as a result. We're aiming to give everyone a fair chance. But we aren't doing that if we're basically letting some people ask others to post in their thread while denying a few others based on something as arbitrary as the 'amount of popularity' the person is associated with. That's what you wish to say, right?

The only way to deal with it, I think, is to go with what Kura's suggesting. Reporting cases where some members feel as if a popular member is trying to pimp out their thread would bring it in the staff's notice. And it isn't as if the report is immediately acted upon by a single staff member and we call it a case closed. We, quite a lot of times, have lengthy discussions regarding what sort of action should be taken in case there's a situation that's a little difficult to deal with. All of the staff team ponder over it and provide their thoughts. And then we go with majority.

This wouldn't work if something like this happened
>Kura reports
>Dero sees report
>Dero punishes the person concerned since they're "Popular" in dero's eyes
>closes report so that no other staff member notices it

But that won't happen, in my opinion. Because we all do talk on lengths about cases where things are unclear. Blurry lines, so to speak.

flight
April 30th, 2013, 12:09 PM
But yeah. You're right when it comes to the fact that it may not really be possible to segregate PC members into groups like 'popular' and 'not-so-popular' as there's no yardstick available for us to measure popularity by. It ain't black and white. After all, a member that's considered popular in a certain part of PC might not be as popular in other areas and different people have different views about their popularity, as a result. We're aiming to give everyone a fair chance. But we aren't doing that if we're basically letting some people ask others to post in their thread while denying a few others based on something as arbitrary as the 'amount of popularity' the person is associated with. That's what you wish to say, right?

The only way to deal with it, I think, is to go with what Kura's suggesting. Reporting cases where some members feel as if a popular member is trying to pimp out their thread would bring it in the staff's notice. And it isn't as if the report is immediately acted upon by a single staff member and dealt with. We, at times, have lengthy discussions regarding what sort of action should be taken in case there's a situation that's a little difficult to deal with. All of the staff team ponder over it and provide their thoughts. And then we go with majority.

Yes! Somewhat, yeah. I feel that the line is actually very blurry, because I feel that context should be taken into /extreme/ consideration here, which is why (not that reporting is a BAD idea , per se) if a report were to be made, caution should be taken as far as the staff is concerned, because it's very easy to misunderstand members and wrongly punish them when in fact, they didn't intend to hurt anyone's feelings at all. Basically this.

> Kura reports
> Dero sees report, discusses it with other staff/h-staff
> Comes to the conclusion to deal with said member
> Member decides to appeal punishment; decides that staff misunderstood.

As rare as that possibility is, do keep in mind that (as far as I know, anyway) it's not like members are included in any way in report discussions, so they can't really defend themselves as far as whether or not they intend to do something, or whether staff have really messed up. In that sense, it becomes a huge slippery slope that I think no one wants to deal with, haha.

Y'know, the more that I think about it, if people are seeing this, I feel that a lot of people are going to be a lot more hesitant in "advertising" their threads, because the actual real possibility exists that people are going to be reporting things left and right, taking things out of context and then it just becomes a mess. .___. That's a worst case scenario thing anyway, and I hope this doesn't happen.

Melody
April 30th, 2013, 12:15 PM
I honestly see no reason for anyone to be punished no matter what their popularity levels are.

To be quite frank I think that there really should only be punishment when there is clear and present abusive promotion of the thread in question. Perhaps prohibiting all members from linking their thread too often would be fine. Two or three times in the normal course of a casual 4 hour conversation window is fine. More than that would be a bit excessive. No one should be punished or discouraged unless their thread is seriously dominating the section and there's clear and present evidence that the promotion is causing too much traffic.

Kura
April 30th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Because advertising IS after all, a rule here, but gosh, even if it was "Bro, don't let me see you do that again" to avoid this sort of behaviour, then we are all cool. Let's just try and make it fair to everyone ok? That is what I want.

So any opinion to the 2-thread version of this?

flight
April 30th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Because advertising IS after all, a rule here, but gosh, even if it was "Bro, don't let me see you do that again" to avoid this sort of behaviour, then we are all cool. Let's just try and make it fair to everyone ok? That is what I want.

In that case, I feel that going with Pachy's suggestion here would be more plausible. But in that sense (at least in the showdown server) that rule is already in place. If you advertise a link too much, you're bound to get muted and/or banned anyway, given enough persistence. If it's a once in a while thing, then fine, but it gets annoying if you do it every single time.

I personally feel that there shouldn't be a numerical limit on how many times a MIC thread should be promoted, as it's sort of common sense (lol sorry if this sounds rude) that you know you're going too far when the link to your MIC thread is dominating a conversation.

Kura
April 30th, 2013, 12:33 PM
In that case, I feel that going with Pachy's suggestion here would be more plausible. But in that sense (at least in the showdown server) that rule is already in place. If you advertise a link too much, you're bound to get muted and/or banned anyway, given enough persistence. If it's a once in a while thing, then fine, but it gets annoying if you do it every single time.

I personally feel that there shouldn't be a numerical limit on how many times a MIC thread should be promoted, as it's sort of common sense (lol sorry if this sounds rude) that you know you're going too far when the link to your MIC thread is dominating a conversation.

Agreeing here too, really, with Pachy. I think it's a good compromise.

Either way, if I see abuse, I'll report it. I admit my tolerance level is a lot shorter than many others, but I'll definitely try my best to be liberal too :3

derozio
April 30th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Yes! Somewhat, yeah. I feel that the line is actually very blurry, because I feel that context should be taken into /extreme/ consideration here, which is why (not that reporting is a BAD idea , per se) if a report were to be made, caution should be taken as far as the staff is concerned, because it's very easy to misunderstand members and wrongly punish them when in fact, they didn't intend to hurt anyone's feelings at all. Basically this.

> Kura reports
> Dero sees report, discusses it with other staff/h-staff
> Comes to the conclusion to deal with said member
> Member decides to appeal punishment; decides that staff misunderstood.

As rare as that possibility is, do keep in mind that (as far as I know, anyway) it's not like members are included in any way in report discussions, so they can't really defend themselves as far as whether or not they intend to do something, or whether staff have really messed up. In that sense, it becomes a huge slippery slope that I think no one wants to deal with, haha.

Y'know, the more that I think about it, if people are seeing this, I feel that a lot of people are going to be a lot more hesitant in "advertising" their threads, because the actual real possibility exists that people are going to be reporting things left and right, taking things out of context and then it just becomes a mess. .___. That's a worst case scenario thing anyway, and I hope this doesn't happen.

The thing is...the chances of that happening are very low, imo. We discuss stuff quite a lot. People like me don't really comment much apart from cases where things are really black and white (y'all know I'm st00pid :p) but there are quite a few others who really engage in long discussions and consider almost everything about the case in question. I can't really provide proof since I'm...not really allowed to reveal what goes on behind the curtains but...yeah, I can just provide reassurance that something like that has a very low chance of happening.

I honestly see no reason for anyone to be punished no matter what their popularity levels are.

To be quite frank I think that there really should only be punishment when there is clear and present abusive promotion of the thread in question. Perhaps prohibiting all members from linking their thread too often would be fine. Two or three times in the normal course of a casual 4 hour conversation window is fine. More than that would be a bit excessive. No one should be punished or discouraged unless their thread is seriously dominating the section and there's clear and present evidence that the promotion is causing too much traffic.

The thing is...I never meant to say that the member should be punished. It was more along the lines of the staff members telling the member to cool his jets since s/he's going overboard. :p

Because advertising IS after all, a rule here, but gosh, even if it was "Bro, don't let me see you do that again" to avoid this sort of behaviour, then we are all cool. Let's just try and make it fair to everyone ok? That is what I want.

So any opinion to the 2-thread version of this?
I actually like it, tbh. It'd work, imo.

Kura
April 30th, 2013, 01:00 PM
I actually like it, tbh. It'd work, imo.

Thing is.. the big main thing has apparently already been voted on without it's consideration so.. is there any chance that it actually would be considered? Or are you just going to follow through with the huge shebang?

A bit disappointed though. Would've thought that it would work, and if it seemingly got too popular (obviously it'd be popular at first but if it kept booming over the next few months) THEN that's when we can upscale it to having it's own section.

derozio
April 30th, 2013, 02:31 PM
I don't know, Kura. Projects like these are taken care of by the hstaff. I've no idea about the progress of MIC or if the two thread idea has even been considered. But let us hope that it has. =(

Kura
April 30th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Wait really? Regular mods have no say in that? I know they predominantly look after their section but I would've thought they had more voice than that.. especially since this suggestion was opened up to everyone on PC and not just left to staff. Why was it opened to us when all that really mattered was the opinion of yes/no of 12 people anyhow?

Well either way, I'm just hoping that good will come from it, whatever ends up happening. Thanks for listening, Derozio (and others, too.)

derozio
April 30th, 2013, 11:39 PM
Naah, we have as much of a say as other non-staff members when it comes to these things. :p But it would be wrong to say that the opinion of all the moderators and other members isn't considered while making a decision. They do look at the general consensus, I'm sure. So our opinion does matter, you know?

And no problemo, Kura! This is probably the first time I've ever participated in a discussion that's related to the community as a whole. I actually felt like I was, you know, somewhat useful. Because all I've been doing since I was promoted was look after my own section and post in the staff threads. The fact that I could contribute, however little, makes me really happy. I should be thanking you guys, instead! So yeah, thanks! <3;

bobandbill
May 1st, 2013, 01:26 AM
^Although I'm still not the biggest on the section, I said yes to a trial because people here in general supported it.

I do agree that in general people shouldn't try to advertise their threads obnoxiously - I don't mind people asking for it in say irc the once, just not going on about it or only going on places to just advertise it. Not something I'd suggest infracting for straight up if it happens too, a reminder would I hope do if it does happen. As for popularity issues, although it will be impossible as said to stop it from happening, it sure is possible to try to limit it to some reasonable amount imo. Or I hope, anyway. We will see!

@ 2 thread idea - I'll point it out in the planning and see what others think. I'm not made up my mind on which I prefer myself... I do think though that 2 threads is a bit harder to keep track of? And double the threads might get messy (say someone reads a question they're interested in hearing the answer - they then have to go and find the answers thread and shift through that to get the answer. Which is at worst a minor annoyance, but nonetheless!). Granted it does
Maybe we can also help keep it uncluttered by saying that each person can only ask one question per week so we dont get a flood of possible questions, too.
Sadly this sounds like it would be a bit annoying to keep track off. Maybe better as a suggestion... but then I don't see it being too necessary either (clutter is just going to be hard to avoid).

Kura
May 1st, 2013, 04:20 AM
^Although I'm still not the biggest on the section, I said yes to a trial because people here in general supported it.

I do agree that in general people shouldn't try to advertise their threads obnoxiously - I don't mind people asking for it in say irc the once, just not going on about it or only going on places to just advertise it. Not something I'd suggest infracting for straight up if it happens too, a reminder would I hope do if it does happen. As for popularity issues, although it will be impossible as said to stop it from happening, it sure is possible to try to limit it to some reasonable amount imo. Or I hope, anyway. We will see!

@ 2 thread idea - I'll point it out in the planning and see what others think. I'm not made up my mind on which I prefer myself... I do think though that 2 threads is a bit harder to keep track of? And double the threads might get messy (say someone reads a question they're interested in hearing the answer - they then have to go and find the answers thread and shift through that to get the answer. Which is at worst a minor annoyance, but nonetheless!). Granted it does
Sadly this sounds like it would be a bit annoying to keep track off. Maybe better as a suggestion... but then I don't see it being too necessary either (clutter is just going to be hard to avoid).

Well, I'd say a whole section takes a lot to keep track of too. If we're getting a new mod anyway for this whole new section, why don't we instead just mod someone else in Other Trivia to help look after this and help keep track of it? 2 threads is easier to look after than.. hundreds.

If it is too much to handle, 2 threads being closed is MUCH easier to do than shutting down a whole section.


I am also a bit peeved that this was apparently agreed upon on popular vote.. but I see no poll in this thread.. so why didn't you let us decide instead of just assuming "people in general supported it" when I look back and I just see discussion about concerns rather than "I see no problem with it." So did you vote based on us, or based on your own opinion? The first is unfair to us, and the second is unfair to you IMO.. but this is a whole other matter.
Felt it was already for it to begin with, so it seems like this thread is here just to appease us. That's how I feel, anyway.

bobandbill
May 1st, 2013, 05:09 AM
Well, I'd say a whole section takes a lot to keep track of too. If we're getting a new mod anyway for this whole new section, why don't we instead just mod someone else in Other Trivia to help look after this and help keep track of it? 2 threads is easier to look after than.. hundreds.

If it is too much to handle, 2 threads being closed is MUCH easier to do than shutting down a whole section.I don't follow - shutting down a whole section...? If by that you mean thread moderation or somesuch I don't think it's very hard. Also we're not yet fully decided on the location/etc (by that I mean we'll fully decide after the trial, and it's something to worry about after we see how it actually goes in the first place), so worrying about if we get a new mod or not is something to follow after said trial.
I am also a bit peeved that this was apparently agreed upon on popular vote.. but I see no poll in this thread.. so why didn't you let us decide instead of just assuming "people in general supported it" when I look back and I just see discussion about concerns rather than "I see no problem with it." So did you vote based on us, or based on your own opinion? The first is unfair to us, and the second is unfair to you IMO.. but this is a whole other matter.
Felt it was already for it to begin with, so it seems like this thread is here just to appease us. That's how I feel, anyway. Nick wanted to bring it up here first, so he can explain why he did that. =p I don't see why there's too much to be peeved about though... I'm not massively opposed against the idea (I would be if there hadn't been some way to keep some handle on some threads dominating the forum too much - as a way was suggested that got my approval. And then me being on the fence isn't reason for me to deny it a trial run - ie a way to better gauge how it would go rather than going 'well maybe ___ would happen'. In other words - I didn't just vote myself because other people liked it, don't worry about that. (I took a while as I gave it a fair bit of thought actually...)

And I saw all those posts about concerns - I can't say I don't see the majority of people who posted though weren't at least interested in the idea however. I wouldn't say that we just assumed it - I followed the thread throughout for one. *motions to earlier posts within it which included me posting my own concerns*

Kura
May 1st, 2013, 05:47 AM
Fair enough, Marcin! I think I am just overthinking it all and making myself frustrated lol..

I am adamant that my idea can and will work. Why don't.. while you guys are beta testing this in the supporter lounge.. I will take it upon myself to create the threads in Other Trivia and look over them. After a couple weeks/ a month, it can be closed.

I just want to see this happen properly, and I see too many problems doing it the other way so let me show you a solution. You guys wanted members to host events more right? Let me do it.

Noah Ridgewood
May 1st, 2013, 07:43 AM
I'm okay with you trying that after we have the trial period.

Kura
May 1st, 2013, 10:25 AM
I'm okay with you trying that after we have the trial period.

Sure, but just curious as to why after and not during? Two trails at once and that way both mods and supporters can have a taste of what it's like, and see what they prefer. My proposed idea is a weekly-changing thing so unless you will hold up posting the thing after the trail for a month, it'd be pretty unfair to pit it against my idea.

Technically there is nothing against the rules for me posting it right now in Other Trivia, and could give it a go now, but I'm also trying to be considerate of what you want too and so we have a fair matchup here.
I think it's unfair to me to tell me to do it after it becomes popular because individuals can then get a spotlight.. and obviously don't want that spotlight taken away.

If you can give me a good reason why I should do it after instead of at the same time, I'll be more than considerate of it.. but right now I'm a bit skeptical on how this has all played out to your hands, and I really don't want to be humored by being pushed back.


Edit: Basically it is like you're telling me "sure go ahead with your idea" AFTER you get feedback from supporters and other mods telling you to go ahead with your own idea. How is that even fair.

I am proposing.. do both trials at once, make a poll in the supporter section asking supporters and mods which one they prefer before releasing it to the public. Yes in a way it is unfair that regular members don't get to vote (I won't even get to vote either) but hopefully the supporters will be a good representation of the public.

Tell me that is not fair.

Noah Ridgewood
May 1st, 2013, 10:48 AM
I'm just concerned that if we have them going on at the same time, one will be overlooked.

Kura
May 1st, 2013, 11:02 AM
Yes, mine might be overlooked by supporters, but not necessarily if you make an announcement about it in the Supporter Section. Not sure how long both will run, but at least it'll give something to the regular members while they wait for the big thing, (if it goes through.. though I am sure it will.)

Otherwise you will have to hold off at least a month from posting the section so that what I have won't be overlooked either.

I don't want this to become about personal agendas.. so how were you going to propose it should go? I've already said how I think it should be handled, but I want to hear what you have in mind.


Edit: Also if my idea is successful regardless, it COULD always be kept for those people who don't want a thread to themselves if we go through with your idea, too, because they don't want questions that are TOO personal thrown at them. Or if people see general questions asked in the thread that they feel like sharing. It could be sticked in the AMA section if it came to that, so both running at the same time could possibly also work.

flight
May 1st, 2013, 11:08 AM
Another solution instead of a whole subsection would be something like the picture thread had: One thread for questions, another thread for answers. This would be put in other trivia to prevent people from spamming the first thread with too many questions over and over again in new posts. Hear me out here.
There are 2 threads, the question thread, and the answer thread. The first thread is sorta like the poll of the week. People contribute questions throughout, and at the end of every week, all of those questions get bolded/ added/ replaced onto the first posts of both threads (or maybe only the answer thread; it's up to the mod.)
Then in the second thread, people sorta do what they do in OVP threads, where they copy/paste those questions they want to answer that week, in a post, and answer them below in bolded text. You know.. like
Example:
what is your favourite food?
I really love pasta!

Forgive me if there's more to this idea, but from what I re-call, this paragraph is generally the gist of it.

My opinion (and no offense here, Kura) is that this is really inconsistent. I feel that creating a whole new subsection would be more ideal. .___. I do understand that the goal you're (seemingly?) trying to go for is more organization but...how would two separate threads really accomplish that? It seems that you haven't really explained that part in great detail (at least, versus creating a different section entirely).

See, I didn't really like the whole format the PYP had, which is why I believe it was an excellent idea that it was merged: why not just combine them, that way people can comment and yet post pictures all in one thread? Is it really that hard to search for a specific reply, or a specific question (given how PC's search function works, I'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult)? I'm not trying to come off as rude or anything, but I just do not see what two separate threads would accomplish here.

Making a new section would make organization /so much easier/. The only "cons" (so to speak) in creating the new section is...selecting a new moderator? In which, even that, I'd imagine wouldn't even be too difficult. oo; When you're creating an entirely new section, with a batch of AMAs(especially with how often they pop up), each member would have their own AMA thread, and they would get asked the standard questions and they would reply afterwards. I really don't see what's particularly wrong in this system, and you haven't really pointed out what's necessarily wrong with creating a whole entire subforum either (unless I somehow skipped over that part).

u___u lmao don't take my post as rude or anything but these are just flaws that I find with your idea. I hope this post helps, anyway.

Kura
May 1st, 2013, 11:17 AM
Forgive me if there's more to this idea, but from what I re-call, this paragraph is generally the gist of it.

My opinion (and no offense here, Kura) is that this is really inconsistent. I feel that creating a whole new subsection would be more ideal. .___. I do understand that the goal you're (seemingly?) trying to go for is more organization but...how would two separate threads really accomplish that? It seems that you haven't really explained that part in great detail (at least, versus creating a different section entirely).

See, I didn't really like the whole format the PYP had, which is why I believe it was an excellent idea that it was merged: why not just combine them, that way people can comment and yet post pictures all in one thread? Is it really that hard to search for a specific reply, or a specific question (given how PC's search function works, I'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult)? I'm not trying to come off as rude or anything, but I just do not see what two separate threads would accomplish here.

Making a new section would make organization /so much easier/. The only "cons" (so to speak) in creating the new section is...selecting a new moderator? In which, even that, I'd imagine wouldn't even be too difficult. oo; When you're creating an entirely new section, with a batch of AMAs(especially with how often they pop up), each member would have their own AMA thread, and they would get asked the standard questions and they would reply afterwards. I really don't see what's particularly wrong in this system, and you haven't really pointed out what's necessarily wrong with creating a whole entire subforum either (unless I somehow skipped over that part).

u___u lmao don't take my post as rude or anything but these are just flaws that I find with your idea. I hope this post helps, anyway.

Not rude at all.. but if I recall, the PYP thread was split up originally because it was getting too many posts back then.. and then it died down. You had to sift through tons of comments just to see the pictures and it was difficult.

Two threads help with organization, as you said. I personally see more cons in the new section.. as in.. why is it even there? That's what the about me + vming is for.. popularity things.. people asking uneasy questions, people trolling in threads, people asking random stuff just to bump postcount..
but heck, I'm trying for a compromise instead of shooting the idea down directly.

As I said, no harm in giving my idea a shot since it can be easily closed in OT, and we also don't have to worry about postcount-hungry people. If you're worried about management, I said I would be willing to take over it since I am adamant in seeing it succeed.

It could be a flop, like you say, there are always gonna be concerns about stuff.. but you never know if you don't try especially something like this that doesn't require loads of planning and huge amounts of rule-making like a whole new section would.

I'd hope you could see nothing wrong with giving both a beta test like I am proposing.


http://t.qkme.me/3q3rgr.jpg

flight
May 1st, 2013, 11:24 AM
Two threads help with organization, as you said. I personally see more cons in the new section.. as in.. why is it even there? That's what the about me + vming is for.. popularity things.. people asking uneasy questions, people trolling in threads, people asking random stuff just to bump postcount..
but heck, I'm trying for a compromise instead of shooting the idea down directly.

Not that there's an issue with giving your idea a shot or anything like that, but I thought I'd just mention that people attempting to boost postcount/trolling/whatever is something that's going to happen in both ends honestly, and I feel that would fall under the "spamming" argument that people brought up a lot in this thread (if I'm correct). Meaning that, if it happens, just report it to staff/h-staff and they'll take care of it. It's procedural in that case. o.o

Kura
May 1st, 2013, 11:40 AM
Not that there's an issue with giving your idea a shot or anything like that, but I thought I'd just mention that people attempting to boost postcount/trolling/whatever is something that's going to happen in both ends honestly, and I feel that would fall under the "spamming" argument that people brought up a lot in this thread (if I'm correct). Meaning that, if it happens, just report it to staff/h-staff and they'll take care of it. It's procedural in that case. o.o

Yeah that is a fair point, I just thought it would be MUCH easier to manage in one thread rather than across a whole board.
And if postcount was turned off in an AMA section then I dont think we'd have to worry about spamming all too much. It's ALL too easy to just go around and ask "What's your favourite colour?" in 40 different threads just to bump postcount.

I am getting too technical now but.. I honestly think both should be given a chance.

Arx
May 1st, 2013, 11:44 AM
Honestly I think that it should be for the best if supporters/mods could test both of them and give their pros/cons then we'll be settled. Then HStaff would decide according to supporters/mods and their own experiences. No harm in this at all imo.

Noah Ridgewood
May 4th, 2013, 11:29 AM
The forum is up in beta.

Anyone who has access to the Supporter HQ (meaning if you only have Style forum access, you can view it as well as those with VIP forum access) has access to the forum.

After the forum beta period, we'll give Kura the go ahead to make her threads to see how that goes. :)
We expect the forum beta period will only be about a month long.

Honest
May 4th, 2013, 12:16 PM
^I approve this message.

Incredibly happy this is actually taking place, everyone should pat themselves on the back. Especially you Nick!

Squirrel
May 4th, 2013, 12:25 PM
I don't get it, is this a section made purely for AMA threads or is there supposed to be more to it? If so I really don't understand why this has crept out of blogs to warrant a whole forum... If you want to get to know someone don't you usually just say "hi"?

Honest
May 4th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Pretty sure it's purely for AMA threads.