PDA

View Full Version : Official Feedback Request: Unused/underused features!

Proto
April 26th, 2013, 02:36 AM
Hey everyone. :D So we're currently working on some big projects that involve revamping a lot of the features you use on PokeCommunity. I won't go into too much detail, but the next couple of months are going to be pretty exciting around here. 8)

Some of you may be familiar with the fact that PokeCommunity is based on software called vBulletin. It's something millions of people use to create forums very similar to ours, and as such it has a sort of one-size-fits-all approach. Part of the streamlining of the community that we're doing is going to involve removing a lot of these default features to clean up the look and layout and get rid of clutter, and I want everyone to help us decide what to keep and what to get rid of.

I added a poll with some things that I've been thinking of getting rid of due to underuse. Go ahead and vote on what you want to see stay/what you think we can get rid of. As I think of/find more things, I'll update the post with more stuff.

Thanks. :D

Mαтт★H.
April 26th, 2013, 04:06 AM
In my opinion, you should keep the "Page breakdown" function, because there might be times when you want to look back on a particular post and you wouldn't be able to access it because there's only a first and last button. I know that it might be possible to access throught editing the URL but not many people know that.

I hope this helps :)

Proto
April 26th, 2013, 04:21 AM
To clarify, I don't mean the page breakdown on threads. I mean when you're viewing a list of threads in a forum.

Mαтт★H.
April 26th, 2013, 04:34 AM
To clarify, I don't mean the page breakdown on threads. I mean when you're viewing a list of threads in a forum.

If that is the case, then how would you be able to post on a thread that's, let's just say, on the second page?

Harley Quinn
April 26th, 2013, 04:34 AM
i want to say one thing
1. death to the oekaki

it's plain useless (imo) and it takes up space
i'd much love it if the community links were kept and the oekaki was destroyed for good

Kura
April 26th, 2013, 04:35 AM
I reaally hope you don't get rid of community lin- OH MY GOD THE VIEWING USERS IS BACK THIS MAKES UP FOR EVERYTHING EVER!!!!!

Also nice one on the newly liked posts notifications!! <3

And agreeing with MattH here.. I'd prefer it if that was kept, too.

Harley Quinn
April 26th, 2013, 04:41 AM
oh and btw if you get rid of the ability to use youtube videos as profile pictures i'm uninviting you from my 20th birthday party

King Goodra
April 26th, 2013, 04:44 AM
Okay I voted to keep page breakdown and community links and youtube videos.

Please remove post icons!

Also, phase out the stupid Oekaki for the showdown server for good please. I replaced it on Modern in the community links and I think it should be like that on all the styles.

vaporeon7
April 26th, 2013, 04:58 AM
There was a calendar on PC? o.o

tabor62
April 26th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Yup, it's for looking at users' birthdays if I recall correctly.

seeker
April 26th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Post icons must die in a fire. Oekaki can be demoted, nobody uses it. Post comments need notifications or else need to go. I'll come back if I have more.

wolf
April 26th, 2013, 08:15 AM
I accidentally voted for everything that I wanted to be removed instead of kept, so don't count my votes please. :> The only feature I want to stay is the calender for keeping track of birthdays. YouTube videos are useful for the Supporter profile trick, but I don't think they should stay for reasons other than that. The Community Links could be kept too, but the navigation bar has all the same links. If the PC Battle Server was added to the Community Links, I guess it would be more useful.

Jake♫
April 26th, 2013, 08:19 AM
I feel like the sharing options are really kind of pointless. I mean I don't know about anyone else, but I don't really ever share anything from here on any social media. Plus, if I wanted to, it'd just be easier to copy and paste the URL from the top of the page than to go find a share button. Post icons and the Calender are totally pointless in my opinion as well =P

And jumping on the Oekaki to get demoted from the header bandwaggon. The Showdown Server could probably go there I guess?

Proto
April 26th, 2013, 11:57 AM
If that is the case, then how would you be able to post on a thread that's, let's just say, on the second page?
Haha. I should've just put up screenshots. XD;

http://i.imgur.com/t6qPUT3.png

I'm talking about this.

Also if the calendar were removed it would just be for custom events. Birthdays would still show up like normal.

Alice
April 26th, 2013, 01:11 PM
I don't really care about any of these tbh. Page breakdown is always nice though, whether it's for the pages of a thread, or pages of threads of a forum. Otherwise, don't care too much about these particular features.

T!M
April 26th, 2013, 01:15 PM
If any one the top right links could go, "Home" could. As you can click on the PokeCommunity title on the top left and it will do the same thing.

Dixie Kong
April 26th, 2013, 01:18 PM
I like page breakdown and don't want that removed. It's useful to quickly access the last page of my challenge that I updated to make sure there was nothing I missed and then move on from there to update with more sign ups etc that happened after my last update. I'm sure others feel that way when it comes to threads that need an updated first post.

I can do without the post icons. They look really stupid imo and I've never understood them.

Guy
April 26th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Page breakdown, community links (I forgot to check that one. Oops!), and Youtube videos should all stay. The rest can all go as far as I'm concerned. Also, the Oekaki is so useless, I'm surprised it's still even around. Who would have guessed it outlived social groups?

Also, with the new Likes System, I find Post Comments to be irrelevant nowadays. I wouldn't miss that if it were gone too.

Somniac
April 26th, 2013, 01:24 PM
The community links and page breakdown are both features that I use regularly, and would sorely miss if they were to be removed.

Personally I don't think I'd mind or even notice if the 'hot threads' were to disappear.

awolfsquared
April 26th, 2013, 02:01 PM
To be honest, I never even knew we had a calendar till now. But it's something I was hoping we had for a while cause I was curious about who has the same birthday as me. (turns out Hiroshi Sotomura does which I find neat to share a b-day with a staff admin.) And I think we should keep the calendar cause it is useful for remembering people's birthdays. If anything, just get rid of the create events part cause I can't find a reason as why that's useful. Also keep Youtube videos in profiles definitely , community links, and page breakdowns too. I use the picture albums all the time cause it's sometime easier than going to a photo sharing site and uploading pictures so that's one thing I think must also stay.

droomph
April 26th, 2013, 02:26 PM
If you can, could you get rid of the hot threads icon but keep the "recently posted threads" bold title thing? That's useful.

Shiny Celebi
April 26th, 2013, 02:29 PM
I like the viewing users thing, that's nice :D

I think the "hot threads" thing needs to stay, its nice to easily see what popular threads are. Youtube videos and picture albums should stay. Thats just my thoughts.

flight
April 26th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Voted! n_n Can't wait to see how neater PC is about to become~!

Gleam Noiyam
April 26th, 2013, 02:41 PM
I, voted as well. I never liked the hot thread feature, I find it silly and stuff, so I hope that whatever happens...happens!

Yusshin
April 26th, 2013, 02:59 PM
I voted!

★ Post Icons ★

I like these, and wish there were more choices!

★ Page Breakdown ★

I feel this is necessary for a board. Otherwise, it'll make finding posts or reading posts hard, like in DCC where it'll bring me to Page 7 but there are still three pages of new replies after that...

Same applies if this was meant for thread-surfing. Should be looking for more convenience instead of limiting these kinds of things.

★ Community Links ★

All the time. All. the. time.

★ Albums ★

I have a few albums. I don't really look at others, but I think it's nice to have, just in case.

★ Youtube Videos in Profiles ★

Need. This is a fun feature (not to mention, bigger background image in profile...)

Hikamaru
April 26th, 2013, 03:08 PM
I'm all for the Oekaki being removed. That place never gets activity.

But as for what I want kept, definitely the YouTube videos on profiles because they make great Supporter profiles, the page breakdown, and the picture albums of course!

Team Fail
April 26th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Well, I've never made much use of the Oekaki, plus, we have our own art section anyway. And voted as well (Actually did that last night but whatever lol). Seems the 4 I voted for are the top 4 chosen so yay.

Brendino
April 26th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Really hope that we can keep the page breakdown, as this makes it a lot easier to access different pages of a thread without having to click first/last, then going to the page you want.

I also hope that we can keep the Youtube videos in profiles, as they can make for some really nice looking profiles.

Sterling
April 26th, 2013, 03:45 PM
The Oekaki should be on that poll, and it's the only thing I'd like to see removed. I haven't seen anyone use it for a looooong time.

All other features, meh.

Harley Quinn
April 26th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Just jumping in again, there seems to be a general consensus that the Oekaki should be obliterated and wiped from memory?
After all, the last piece of artwork on there was from 2011 and the 'news' headline is from 2006, sooooooo

Virtual Headache
April 26th, 2013, 04:06 PM
If you disabled albums, people wouldn't be able to use backgorunds. Or would you just limit it?
While the I don't use the "Share this thread" feature myself, I think it's beneficial to the forum if things get spread out on social networks.
I barely notice the Oekaki and it doesn't bother me at all. I don't see anything bad about it and think instead of removing it, it could be promoted a little and given a last chance? This is probably stupid of me to say since I never used it, but removing it wouldn't really change anything about the forums (okay, that could also be used as a reason to remove it^^;)

Honest
April 26th, 2013, 04:39 PM
...where in God's name is the calendar. o_o

Anyway, the only thing that I feel truly matter (for me anyway) would be the Youtube video (I just figured out how to make my profile awesome, don't do this to me), and the hot threads icons. The others I don't really use at all. Hell, some I never used.

awolfsquared
April 26th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Oops I should of added what I wanted removed. I definitely agree with everyone who says the Oekaki should be removed. Nobody uses it and I really never cared to use it myself. Also Hot Threads too cause honestly I didn't even know it existed and don't see much of use for it. Everything else is fine.

-Jared-
April 26th, 2013, 04:57 PM
I voted for albums since they are used for profile stuff, but of there is an alternate way to allow that without the albums I would be all for getting rid of them. As well as youtube videos; if a similar option is available without the videos, go ahead and axe them haha.

I like the page breakdown for clubs where an important post is on the second or third page or so but that's about it.

Other than that, looking forward to the changes! :D

Rϵd
April 26th, 2013, 04:59 PM
I like every feature, only the Oekaki thats useless imo. Put the Showdown server link instead.

Melody
April 26th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Personally I don't think any of the features I voted for should go.

I'd hate to see these go because I use them and love these features:

Page breakdown - Why would you be rid of this? It is seriously dead useful for finding posts.
Community links - I love these. It'd be a pain in the ass to get to my blog otherwise. Also many old themes are missing important or critical updates to these links and I'd like to see this fixed.
Picture albums - I don't always upload things here, but usually when I do it has something to do with my signatures and such. Yes, I use dropbox to host my signature images...but I don't think this feature is entirely useless, as I've had other pictures uploaded too. Sometimes I like to share things like how my nails look or something. Hacks use this as well, and so do profile images...so I see no reason to neuter or remove this.
Youtube videos in profiles/as profile images - This is something that I've always liked about PC, and I'd hate to see it go. Being able to choose a video is pretty cool, and even cooler is the option to forego your profile image for a video is genius in my opinon.

There were some other things I voted for, but I wouldn't be heartbroken to see them go. Personally I'd understand though if any of the above were causing too much server load and got removed, but most of them I don't see as being supermassive performance holes primarily because of their underuse. Maybe some of these could be restricted to supporters as well, so that the load is much less.

Happy Smiley Yum Yum
April 26th, 2013, 05:26 PM
I've not seen a forum without Page Breakdown, and I love it to pieces.

I like the Post Icons, and I use them lots too.

I like the Extra Thread Icons, but they see less use because they're more specific. I like how they make it easier to navigate though.

antemortem
April 26th, 2013, 06:17 PM
The calendar, post icons, and IM icons are completely useless.

Yusshin
April 26th, 2013, 06:26 PM
My vote for Community Links is more for blog. I don't go to Chat (it doesn't work on my browser for some reason; says a plug-in is missing, but I have Java installed) and Oekaki, well, like others said, useless.

I also just noticed a "Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread" on the bottom v that I never saw before o_o is that new? or am I blind?

Rukario
April 26th, 2013, 06:46 PM
I voted.. and wouldn't you know it, I picked all of them on that list x.x

Not removing the oekaki.. sorry.

Cherrim
April 26th, 2013, 06:50 PM
Only ones I'd be genuinely sad to see go are extra thread images and the page breakdowns. I actually use them, not to mention I can't really think of a visually appealing way to change the breakdown to say first/last.

Everything else... meh.

This post does not surprise me in the slightest.

curiousnathan
April 26th, 2013, 07:00 PM
I would be elated to see IM, Calendar and "Share this Thread" to hit the road. (Despite my votes. - I voted for the ones I want to go, woops.) Oekaki is terribly useless as well, but by the looks of it, it won't be going any time soon. 8)

Crux
April 26th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Whelp, I voted.

I've found the calendar before, said "Oh, I guess that's cool.", and forgot about it.
But, I do love the youtube videos.

Harley Quinn
April 26th, 2013, 07:13 PM

Why? Is there a sentimental reason as to why it should stay?

Livewire
April 26th, 2013, 07:19 PM

We've done away with useful and active parts of the forum before, and for superficial reasons at that. There's no reason for it to be here. I only wish people were as protective of Social Groups, Rep, some moderator permissions, etc, things more important than the Oekaki of which I'm not sure I even spelled correctly.

Team Fail
April 26th, 2013, 07:24 PM
To me, it seems the Social Groups were used even more than the Oekaki. Ever since I registered here almost 4 years ago, I have yet to see one thread promoting some kind of activity of the Oekaki. If anything, I'd actually trade the Social Groups for the Oekaki. One seems to just be more active than the other... As was stated earlier by Harlequin.

Arx
April 26th, 2013, 07:50 PM
If the Oekaki isn't going down, does it mean Hstaff has some plan to promote activity in there? The last activity was from 2011, I think.

Clacla
April 26th, 2013, 07:51 PM
To me, it seems the Social Groups were used even more than the Oekaki. Ever since I registered here almost 4 years ago, I have yet to see one thread promoting some kind of activity of the Oekaki. If anything, I'd actually trade the Social Groups for the Oekaki. One seems to just be more active than the other... As was stated earlier by Harlequin.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I miss the good ol' Social Groups. I wouldn't mind trading them with the Oekaki, does anyone even use it? Like Team Fail said, in the three years I've been here, I haven't seen one thread promoting it at all.

flight
April 26th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Honestly....this might be just me but...people still care about Social Groups? I thought the very reason why they were removed was because of their inactivity. oO; So I guess it's quite a shock to me to see so many people in support of it (unless I'm misinterpreting).

Yusshin
April 26th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Not sure what the Social Groups were, but someone mentioned I think a Rep System was in place but removed as well? I actually like Rep Systems lol

Rep Systems that only have positives are great to avoid those angry, immature negative rep abusing-types. It's also just fun to have. Assuming there are little bars under our names that increase with rep? And if there is a max Rep received and given by day, that helps, too.

I actually think I was around in '09 when Rep was in place... I have a handful of comments in my CP, albeit negative, that I think are related to it.

But unless there's some sort of activity or plans to increase activity in the Oekaki, I don't see the point of keeping it :\

flight
April 26th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Not sure what the Social Groups were, but someone mentioned I think a Rep System was in place but removed as well? I actually like Rep Systems lol

Rep Systems that only have positives are great to avoid those angry, immature negative rep abusing-types. It's also just fun to have. Assuming there are little bars under our names that increase with rep? And if there is a max Rep received and given by day, that helps, too.

I actually think I was around in '09 when Rep was in place... I have a handful of comments in my CP, albeit negative, that I think are related to it.

But unless there's some sort of activity or plans to increase activity in the Oekaki, I don't see the point of keeping it :\

From Dr. Seuss:

I do not like eggs in the file.
I do not like them in any style.
I will not take them fried or boiled.
I will not take them poached or broiled.
I will not take them soft or scrambled,
Despite an argument well-rambled.
No fan I am of the egg at hand.

In other words, never ever bring rep back. It was a disaster then, and it'll continue to be a disaster as long as people +rep their friends and negrep people they just plain flat-out don't like, which was the huge issue with it. It just wasn't used in an objective, fair manner like it was supposed to.

Cherrim
April 26th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Rukario just doesn't like to get rid of anything on or related to PC, no matter how little it's used or how much members ignore or abuse it. ^_^

As for rep, I think likes and post comments are a much better way of giving feedback for someone's post, either positive or negative (and negative should be done constructively, which comments sort of encourage). I don't think the old rep system will ever come back.

Harley Quinn
April 26th, 2013, 08:08 PM

lmao rep as you know it will never come back

And yeah, as far as I know, Social Groups were obliterated for the same reason the Oekaki should be: they were dead.

Elaitenstile
April 26th, 2013, 08:09 PM
I voted for a few things...

But I was a bit sad to see that the "Search" interface isn't being promoted. Like I always like to search for a certain user, but I find it difficult to come by searching a username, like viewing the Memberlist is a BIG pain.

Cherrim
April 26th, 2013, 08:12 PM

But I was a bit sad to see that the "Search" interface isn't being promoted. Like I always like to search for a certain user, but I find it difficult to come by searching a username, like viewing the Memberlist is a BIG pain.
It's not instantly accessible like keyword search is, but if you go into Advanced Search (http://www.pokecommunity.com/search.php) (which you can get to from the search dropdown on the navbar), the two options are search by keyword and search by username. Username auto-completes from the username list, too, so if you know the beginning of their name, you don't need to know it perfectly.

Team Fail
April 26th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Rukario just doesn't like to get rid of anything on or related to PC, no matter how little it's used or how much members ignore or abuse it. ^_^

This pretty much explains everything.

Oh and let's not try the rep system again. I never did get to see what happened there, but I don't really want to see it.

flight
April 26th, 2013, 08:14 PM

Mmmm, I feel this could be a slight concern? At the very same time, keep note that, if you're searching for a banned user, they probably won't appear on the memberlist, since I believe that's the option set via usergroup (unless I'm wrong).

But I ultimately feel that more searching options wouldn't hurt? Though I'm slightly puzzled as to what more could be added than what we already have. o.o; Unless you're talking about "Search with usernames starting/ending with:" that kind of thing, to go into more specifics about the usernames themselves, to make searching easier, in a sense.

Yusshin
April 26th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Ah, OK. I totally get what y'all are saying about it being abused. I've seen it happen on other boards; I was totally super awesome and fabulous (like I am now, j/k) and people negrep'd me to the point where I was 56% negative and 44% positive, simply because they didn't like my server reviews bashing their server of choice, or they didn't like my opinion, or they didn't like me bashing them when they bashed me / a buddy first.

It's a completely biased system.

However~

If you can only positive rep, then that's sweet :D 'cause then everyone is happy and you feel loved and you just get all fuzzies ♡ I'd positive rep someone not just for their post, but to make them feel nice, which imo is a good thing regardless.

Anyway, I'll stick by what's being said about the Oekaki. Promote or abolish.

Also, reviewing the CP about post comments (thought it was Rep-related) helped me realize that Pika left me a post message lol Yay for it not being negative, like the other five.

Dixie Kong
April 26th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Rep system should stay dead. Kill the Oekaki. I've been here five years and still don't even know what it is. Social groups don't need to return either. The fan clubs and Pokemon groups do a wonderful job and social groups would just take away from them again.

Honest
April 26th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Good grief, please let the rep system rot in the pits of hell. That thing was never a good idea, and never will be. Even if we only gave positive rep, it'd still be abused imo. I'd rather likes then positive rep.

Also, pretty much bandwagoning in regards to Oekaki. Same as Syd, I've been around for roughly the same amount of time and don't know what it is.

droomph
April 26th, 2013, 09:46 PM

I thought it was weird to have something that inactive "alive" also. Can we get rid of it? Might free up the interwebs a bit.

Cid
April 26th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Page breakdown and YouTube videos are a must. >:3

Otherwise I think they're all accessory features. The links at the top I didn't vote to keep just because of the Oekaki, which is unfortunately as dead as they come right now. I second the motion of replacing that with the server. Sorry Oekaki users!

Harley Quinn
April 26th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Sorry Oekaki users!

but there aren't any oekaki users to say sorry to

Went
April 27th, 2013, 12:07 AM
If you can only positive rep, then that's sweet :D 'cause then everyone is happy and you feel loved and you just get all fuzzies ♡ I'd positive rep someone not just for their post, but to make them feel nice, which imo is a good thing regardless.

That's why we have likes. Because they can only be positive!

The "post comments" are supposed to be rep but without keeping a counter that can be abused- it's entirely private between the one giving and the one receiving.

(Also the Oeakaki thing does merit a discussion tbh. What is its purpose? I still don't know and I think I should be aware...)

Proto
April 27th, 2013, 12:23 AM
I knew Steve wouldn't approve the oekaki's removal so I didn't bother listing it here. As he owns everything related to PC in the end it's his decision, so.. yeah.

Went
April 27th, 2013, 01:20 AM
But it could certainly be repurposed or somehow improved so it gets more activity, right?

Adventure
April 27th, 2013, 01:50 AM
When viewing a forum, it actually is helpful to see if you have maybe posted in the thread before. It's really neat that you can see how many posts you have in a thread and even when the last one was made, by hovering over the extra thread image.

Thread icons are a bit more redundant, perhaps, but it is fun for some and useful for making your thread stick out a little. BUT maybe revamp the thread icons a little? Why not have pokémon icons on a pokémon forum? :) The smileys are ugh but the ghosts that may or may not still be there from halloween was fun. They don't even need to be animated; it's probably nicer to look at the forum if there are not a lot of moving icons there (I'm looking at you, Duskull).

But yeah, I would like it if one row of images was removed. Now we have both extra thread images and the thread icons. It's pretty irrelevant to know if a thread is "hot" or not. The only nice thing from the extra images is the hovering function so if that could be applied to the thread icon instead (and the icons revamped) it would be perfect!

Also I love that the "currently active users viewing this thread" is back! Hope it is to stay.

Team Fail
April 27th, 2013, 06:37 AM
But it could certainly be repurposed or somehow improved so it gets more activity, right?

It could, but as I said to someone else earlier, reviving the Oekaki is like trying to bail out a sinking Titanic. It just doesn't seem feasible.

Why I say this, is because the latest news posts are from 2006. That's 7 years ago. And they're by Master Kwesi Nkromah who almost never comes online anymore (Except to check and see how awesome PC is doing). The Featured Art piece, "Celebi green bg" done by Yoshikkko, which shows up on the Art & Design (http://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21) board, has been like that for a long time. I don't think I've ever seen it change once. And that piece was done almost 2 years ago. And looking at the 5 latest submissions, here are the dates:

1. April 23rd 2013 (This is just a few days ago. But...)
2. December 6th 2012 (This is like, almost 5 months ago.)
3. October 26th 2012 (This is 6 months and 1 day ago.)
4. August 31st 2012 (Okay, 7 months or so. But then...)
5. March 23rd 2012 (This is over a year ago.)

So basically, 4 submissions to the Oekaki in one year. 365 days and 4 submissions. That's one submission every 3 months, or every 90 days. I hate to say it, but the Oekaki is pretty much dead.

King Goodra
April 27th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Hardly worth the trouble, I think.

Kura
April 27th, 2013, 07:57 AM
When viewing a forum, it actually is helpful to see if you have maybe posted in the thread before. It's really neat that you can see how many posts you have in a thread and even when the last one was made, by hovering over the extra thread image.

Almost forgot about this and I hope it stays because sometimes (like in OVP) I forget which threads I've already replied to.

droomph
April 27th, 2013, 08:55 AM
But it could certainly be repurposed or somehow improved so it gets more activity, right?LET'S SEE

I don't know, I've always wanted to post in there, but I suck at art, so…:P
I've actually tried being on there a couple times, but it just seems so…"old". I mean, if you guys managed to actually update the skins or something once in a while it would be better and more attractive. I know you guys have more magical things to attend to, so I don't blame ya.
The staff isn't very interested. Maybe try getting someone who's interested? Then again……………

I'll think of more when I find some more, but it seems that the only options are to money-hire (like a job at a store or something) someone to get it back on track, or to have everyone magically awesome at art, so I don't know. But try if you will.

AND STEVE I KNOW I DON'T EVEN FALL INTO THE "PEOPLE YOU LISTEN TO" CATEGORY BUT IF YOU WANT TO KEEP IT ON I SUGGEST THAT YOU HELP OUT WITH THE RESTRUCTURING, ETC. /banned

Cherrim
April 27th, 2013, 09:03 AM
We've tried that about 3-4 times in the past, although to be fair I think the last time we tried was something like 2005. <_< But oekaki just aren't relevant on the internet anymore. Even when we first implemented it, the application was on its way out as far as popularity and usage goes.

antemortem
April 27th, 2013, 09:18 AM
I think the A&D section far fulfills what the Oekaki could provide, and since the last revitalization seemed to be in 2005, as Erica said, there doesn't seem to be a point in trying to revive it again. Nobody uses it and that's a blatantly obvious fact.

Team Fail
April 27th, 2013, 09:27 AM
I think the A&D section far fulfills what the Oekaki could provide, and since the last revitalization seemed to be in 2005, as Erica said, there doesn't seem to be a point in trying to revive it again. Nobody uses it and that's a blatantly obvious fact.

...Not to mention I don't think anyone can even register on it. I signed up to see what else there was on it. I've been waiting for a confirmation email for about 4 hours now.

Sheep
April 27th, 2013, 09:40 AM
I think the oekaki's beyond saving, unfortunately. Trying to revive it doesn't seem like something worthwhile, especially when we can instead use that time to work on other features, when there are already lots of Pokemon-based oekakis that have many members and frequent updates. It's a great feature for some artists but I just don't think our community's interest in it is high enough to warrant trying to fix. v_v; Programs like Paint Tool SAI and deviantART for uploading art's a lot more popular nowadays, too.

Anyway, I cast my votes yesterday but... I accidentally voted for what I wanted to see removed. Sorry! That's what happens when I vote right before going out. :(

Guy
April 27th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Do you mind explaining why though?

It's completely irrelevant to the forums today, no one uses it, and even the members are okay with having it removed. Plus, the Art & Design forum pretty much fulfills whatever purpose the Oekaki once had. Social Groups, an inactive part of PC yet used more frequently than the Oekaki were removed due to the same reasons, so why are we keeping the Oekaki around still? Unless there's a really good reason behind it, I don't see the point.

Like Nick said, I don't even think it's worth the time and effort.

antemortem
April 27th, 2013, 10:47 AM
I'm fine with being told it won't be removed if there's sound reason.

Kura
April 27th, 2013, 11:23 AM
About the Oekaki being removed or not.. is there any actual harm in just keeping it there? It's hosted somewhere apart from PC so it's not causing server stress or anything is it?

I mean.. if Steve wants it to stay, it's gonna stay, but I don't see anything wrong with it staying. I guess it can look a bit disorganized since it's so outdated but.. if there isn't any harm in it then.. guess it doesn't reeaallly matter either way.

Cassino
April 28th, 2013, 08:12 AM
I don't think 'underuse' or 'lack of demand' is itself a valid reason to remove anything. I voted constructively anyway, but that's my stance.

droomph
April 28th, 2013, 09:12 AM
I don't think 'underuse' or 'lack of demand' is itself a valid reason to remove anything. I voted constructively anyway, but that's my stance.

Well, considering the server is kinda slow, maybe removing some features would be a good idea.

Dixie Kong
April 28th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Now that I know what Oekaki is, I think of it the same as I do with the social groups we used to have, only Oekaki is used far less than the social groups were. But those took away from Fan Clubs/Pokemon Groups, and although Oekaki isn't taking away from A&D, it's still better to just use A&D for your art needs and postings. Oekaki doesn't serve a purpose anymore.

I mean, if it has to stay, then whatever, it's not a huge deal, but like Shivi, I would love to be given a good reason for it to stay. Because really, what's the point in it?

Cassino
April 28th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Well, considering the server is kinda slow, maybe removing some features would be a good idea.
Then that would make the reason more than simply 'underuse' — which is fine.

wolf
April 28th, 2013, 12:55 PM
About the Oekaki being removed or not.. is there any actual harm in just keeping it there?
I personally think it clutters up the A&D section's index, especially when said section has a large forum splash. While it doesn't hurt to keep it in the Community Links, it's also pointless doing that if it's no longer used.

antemortem
April 28th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Perhaps we could find a middle ground in just hiding it from view in A&D like Wolf said. It could still be accessed, but just by a link that's not in plain sight or by direct link. It just shouldn't clutter what it does any longer.

Kip
April 28th, 2013, 01:46 PM
I'd really like Post Icons to stay on the proviso that they're vastly improved upon (there was a competition a few years ago to redesign them but nothing seemed to happen after that), so they're more Pokémon-related. We could have a lot of fun with those rather than just being the generic vB ones.

Thread images are good - I find them especially useful in forums that have downloads (e.g. ROM Hacks). I'd rather they be kept.

Picture albums should definitely stay (there are hundreds, maybe thousands of photos already uploaded, so it would not make sense to take this away), though it is in dire need of an update; it's still very Web 1.0 if you know what I mean. I use it for my Pokémon artwork/graphic design - there isn't anywhere else I want to put it all. :(

IM icons - I still use IMs and it is very useful to have the status icons there next to their names. So if I want to talk to one of my friends about a post and on the post it says they're online, I will.

YouTube videos as profile pics - PLEASE DON'T GET RID OF THIS. It's probably been said before, but exploiting that feature gives us a really neat profile styling tool - the big transparent space at the top and shifting the name to the right. A lot of freedom for PC's awesome graphic designers. ^^

cuttlefishCuller
April 29th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Perhaps we could find a middle ground in just hiding it from view in A&D like Wolf said. It could still be accessed, but just by a link that's not in plain sight or by direct link. It just shouldn't clutter what it does any longer.

As far as A&D is concerned, the Oekaki is dead. We all know that. And for as long as I've been there, I personally haven't seen any demand for it's revival.

Still, I don't want to see it go. :( I do agree with this suggestion though. We can just.. tuck it away somewhere safe, where it's still accessible to members if they desire, but doesn't occupy space anywhere important.

Proto
April 29th, 2013, 12:41 PM
In the past I accidentally broke the oekaki display in A&D and Steve was adamant that it be put back, so chances are that won't be going anywhere.

Spherical Ice
April 29th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Is there any chance at all of Rukario giving a reason as to why? I'd love to get some closure at least :/

droomph
April 29th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Is there any chance at all of Rukario giving a reason as to why? I'd love to get some closure at least :/

I would think that it has something to do with nostalgia. I've seen some tweets (sorry!) saying that this has happened in the past and is why this time, though I don't know personally.

Cassino
May 7th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Instead of removing the 'hot threads' feature, the threshold for a thread to be considered 'hot' should be raised.

Team Fail
May 9th, 2013, 02:15 PM
One thing I'd like to mention. When I made this post (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7641336&postcount=68), I decided to register to check if there was additional stats available to those that are registered. I used my current email, however, it's been over a week and I have yet to see an email from the Oekaki site to confirm my email and account.

Josephine
May 9th, 2013, 04:46 PM
192 for keeping the page breakdown? Really?

I'm going to guess that most have misunderstood what is meant by that, because it's pretty pointless.

Proto
May 9th, 2013, 05:42 PM
I posted a screenshot and people still voted for it, so I dunno. :/

At any rate I agree that it's useless. I can't imagine any situation at all where you would want to jump to the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th page of a thread while viewing the forum index. @_@

Honest
May 9th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Wait, what?

I thought the page breakdown was the (1 2 3 4 5.... Last Page) thing you see on the section pages. Isn't it?

tabor62
May 9th, 2013, 06:05 PM
I actually use it to find some older posts, though that's probably cuz I'm in Trade Corner like 80% of the time 8D

Yusshin
May 9th, 2013, 06:45 PM
I posted a screenshot and people still voted for it, so I dunno. :/

At any rate I agree that it's useless. I can't imagine any situation at all where you would want to jump to the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th page of a thread while viewing the forum index. @_@

Where's the screenshot? I went through all the pages in this thread (all ten) and didn't see a screenie nor a hyperlink in one of your posts to a screenie of this "feature."

I voted for it to stay, but I'd take it back if I've misunderstood what it is and it's actually pointless.

Team Fail
May 9th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Where's the screenshot? I went through all the pages in this thread (all ten) and didn't see a screenie nor a hyperlink in one of your posts to a screenie of this "feature."

I voted for it to stay, but I'd take it back if I've misunderstood what it is and it's actually pointless.

Here's the image/post in question:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7640511&postcount=14

Yusshin
May 9th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Here's the image/post in question:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7640511&postcount=14

Oh. Then I stand by my vote. This is a basic feature that I use very often, esp. when I know I've read up to Page 3 I can just click Page 4 without having to wait for PC's horrendous load times x2.

donavannj
May 9th, 2013, 08:38 PM
I don't use it terribly often, but when I know something I'm looking for is on a given page early in a thread and I'm not already in the thread, it's useful.

cuttlefishCuller
May 10th, 2013, 12:10 PM
One thing I'd like to mention. When I made this post (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7641336&postcount=68), I decided to register to check if there was additional stats available to those that are registered. I used my current email, however, it's been over a week and I have yet to see an email from the Oekaki site to confirm my email and account.

I registered when I was modded back in February -- with hopes that I could contribute. I am still waiting for confirmation as well. I figured I had done something wrong. :(

Cassino
May 10th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Oh. Then I stand by my vote. This is a basic feature that I use very often, esp. when I know I've read up to Page 3 I can just click Page 4 without having to wait for PC's horrendous load times x2.
I'd actually like to see it expanded to include the four pages previous to the last.

tente2
May 11th, 2013, 03:31 PM
I know exactly what the thread page breakdown is, and I'd like to have it kept. It's just very convenient for a thread you continuously check, while the thread is under five pages long.

I'd actually like to see it expanded to include the four pages previous to the last.
That'd be very neat to have! I support this idea.

Other features I support include the possibility of having Youtube videos as profile images, and picture albums for whatever reason (I don't know, I wasn't even aware they existed before reading this thread, but I suddenly don't want to see them go).

Features I want to drown in a river include the thread icons (if, from what I have interpreted, they are those annoying little images you can put next to your thread title), the hot threads thing (I have never noticed it, so I'm not entirely clear on what it exactly is) and the "share this" function. If people want to put things onto Facebook or Twitter or some other social networking site, that's perfectly fine with me (although I confess I am not interested in doing so myself), but is it so hard to copy the page URL? Somebody else said that simply copying the page URL is much quicker than looking for some special "share this" button (which I have never noticed, either), and I can agree with that logic.

Also, I don't mean to sound like a broken record or anything, but I support everyone else with the idea we should do something with the oekaki. If reviving it will take too much work and engulfing it in flames is not an option, I think hiding it (again, I'm repeating ideas here, but I think they are sound ones) is the best course of action. But, if we can't even do that... I don't really think it's all that fair to remove other more popular yet still "underused" features if one of the most underused features of all is going to stay prominent in the big banner at the top (at least on this theme). Not that I really mind it if the oekaki stays prominently displayed (I won't lose sleep over it, or anything) but to remove other things on the basis of being unnecessary is too arbitrary, I think. It'd rather keep everything if that were the case.

At least, that's what I have to say. As long as my preferred features stay, I don't really care all that much about the final outcome, to be honest.

Necrum
May 13th, 2013, 05:56 PM
I would very much like to see the Page Breakdown stay. I know I use it a lot when managing my trade thread and updating my challenge threads. I'm constantly jumping around pages and to have to click next/last only would be a real hassle.

alienhunterx
July 10th, 2013, 11:41 PM
Youtube videos should be removed. I also don't like Choice Number 3

Callīope
July 13th, 2013, 01:57 PM
If you want to lessen the load, I'd say the YouTube app being gone wouldn't hurt anyone. Page breakdown is very handy, however. It serves a lot more of a purpose than some of the others.

Sheep
July 13th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Are you kidding me?! Page breakdown people is voted highest?! I'd quit first and urge others to. You gotta see here, folks, people are trying to get their post to show the most, and knock off the chance of the newbies getting their posts a slight of a chance. If they are popular, they are going to stay on top. And the newbies? Like me? Well, they are going to go... bye bye!

It's voted highest as the feature members want to keep. If you look at the poll title, it says "Vote for a feature if you use it regularly/don't want to see it removed." So it's certainly something most of us want to keep!

Anyways, I don't really feel the need to have the YouTube videos in profiles. It's just not something that I play and from the looks of things, most other people never bother playing someone else's video either. :(

Hayabusa-Kun
July 14th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Hey i'm new here! Please teach me everything that i don't know. Thanks!

Harvey_Create
July 14th, 2013, 07:53 PM
I don't know if you can, but an awesome feature to add in would be make admins on specific posts. Say you have 2 leading people on a Game Showcase Thread, make it so the poster can add another person on to update the thread!