PDA

View Full Version : New Shows of 2013

Rest
April 27th, 2013, 07:05 AM
So GE, what are you favourite new shows of 2013 so far and what upcoming shows are you anticipating?

I'm enjoying NBC's Hannibal. So far, I like the tone and style to the series and the plot is quite promising. I love the stylish graphic cuts. Dancy has his quirks and is good all-in-all but Mikkelsen is the true star of the show. He really ups the series with his very unique way of portraying Dr. Hannibal Lecter (a job that he does with aplomb). Colour me surprised when I found out this was a show from NBC; it feels like a show from AMC, hell, even HBO.

Sundance's Rectify, has also been great so far. The cast is uniformly great (I was so glad to find the one and only J. Smith-Cameron who got to parlay her wonderful work in Margaret into a series) in portraying their respective characters. The entire understatedness of the show, the small-town setting, the quiet charm, and the slow (but nuanced) pace just clicks for me. Three episodes in and I'm already hoping Sundance renews it for a second season.

As for upcoming shows, I'm anticipating Family Tree and The Bridge, among others.

Esper
April 27th, 2013, 09:14 AM
I don't really know what shows are out there at the moment, but I heard about Hannibal a week or two ago and that's something I'm watching now and it's pretty dang great. I'm also surprised it's even allowed to play on regular television given its subject matter. And while Anthony Hopkins will always be the best Hannibal, Mads Mikkelsen is doing a great job of being charming and creepy and sinister in the role.

Sweets Witch
April 27th, 2013, 10:31 AM
At some point I want to watch Defiance because my friends all enjoy it and say good things about it, but that's all I can think of at the moment. I don't really keep track of television. I was kind of excited for Bates Motel but the first couple of episodes made me lose all faith in what might be because I hated everything about the show from the characters to the dialogue to the entire first episode having no underlying plot at all.

Mr Cat Dog
April 27th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Sundance's Rectify, has also been great so far. The cast is uniformly great (I was so glad to find the one and only J. Smith-Cameron who got to parlay her wonderful work in Margaret into a series) in portraying their respective characters. The entire understatedness of the show, the small-town setting, the quiet charm, and the slow (but nuanced) pace just clicks for me. Three episodes in and I'm already hoping Sundance renews it for a second season.
Woah woah woah woah woah! J. Smith-Cameron!? I'd read reviews about this saying it was good but no one mentioned her! I have to watch it now. Like, literally this second!

I saw the first episode of Hannibal and liked it a fair bit, but I have no desire to continue watching it, for whatever reason. Maybe I'll come back to it in May or something when most of my other shows are ending, as I did like what I saw. That and Orphan Black, which kinda reminded me of The Vampire Diaries with all of its twists and turns done in a successful way. But, again, it's kinda fallen by the wayside for the time being. I did like Top of the Lake, another Sundance show, quite a lot. But that's very much a self-contained unit so won't be coming back for more.

Apart from that, most of my shows are pre-2013, and I haven't even looked along the horizon as of yet. I'm a liiiiiiiitle bit sceptical about Family Tree but will try to go in with an open mind.