PDA

View Full Version : Brony???

AnonygooseD
May 10th, 2013, 01:18 AM
I've seen a lot of references & memes related to "My Little Pony" on the internet lately & even saw fans calling themselves "Bronies" but I can't really see why the show's so popular...
I mean, I've seen an episode of the show once out of curiosity but it wasn't all that special, just a typical kids show about a bunch of female ponies doing random stuff. Why is this show so famous & building an army of internet bronies? There must be something about it that I can't see...
What do y'all think?

Sodom
May 10th, 2013, 03:23 AM
This belongs in General Entertainment, so I'm gonna move it on over there.

Cassino
May 10th, 2013, 03:44 AM
It's apparently due to MLPFIM being seen as a surprisingly good show compared to previous incarnations of MLP, and current day children's entertainment in general. 90s kids enjoying something that reminds them of 90s cartoons, mayhap. The fandom may well have began as an ironic thing, misinterpreted as its scope expanded.

Antemortem
May 10th, 2013, 03:48 AM
Aye, despite what the people who dislike the fandom just so they can say, it's not all that bad of a show. Of course, like other things, the true fandom might shove it down other's throats a little much, but the show itself is nothing to shrug at. It's a little high on child/immature themes, but that's what's to be expected for a primarily children-oriented show, yes?

awolfsquared
May 10th, 2013, 04:31 AM
As other mentioned, a lot of people find the show to be really well written compared to previous versions of the show. Also the fact the show(or Friendship is Magic) was created by Lauren Faust , who helped work on Powerpuff Girls , and Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends, might also be reason it blew up so big. Both of those shows are pretty nostalgic for the older viewers and FiM reminds them of those old cartoons from the 90s and early 2000s. Many guys who watched Powerpuff Girls as a kid watch , MLP now (one being me) and I see guys watching Powerpuff Girl back then the same as guys watching FiM now. It's similar to why many grown adults watch Adventure Time. Alot of people also really like the animation style and art. Compared to the last 3 generations, it's bright and vivid and really simplistic, but colorful.

Esper
May 10th, 2013, 09:14 AM
There's also a bigger fandom potential in the show than perhaps other shows. Things that create their own story-universe with lots of references to other places, events, and so on provide lots of space for fans to imagine new stories, characters, etc. There's more space for fans to roam free.

AnonygooseD
May 10th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the replies :) I think AWsquared made the point that MLP may be today's PPG; a girls' show liked by both genders...
Besides that, I could conclude that it's just that every show has its fans, right?
I might just watch MLP a few more times to see for myself :)

Houndour2005
May 28th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Remember the Brony meetings too like Equestria LA.

Broken_Arrow
May 29th, 2013, 05:39 AM
Lolz i'm an antipony and i always wondered what's so special about it!! i was about to be killed in other forums when i said it's for kids lol...people are weird like that so *shrugs*