• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Issue: Avatar with transparent background

Xilfer

Just won't die.
Years
Hey, I need help with my avatar. It's the one I've currently got, but as you can see, it has a white background. I really want to change it so that the white is transparent. You know what I mean.

What I did was put the image in an image editor called Paint.NET. I used the magic wand tool to make the white transparent, and it worked perfectly. However, when I tried uploading it to PC, the background was still white. I then tried uploading the pic to photobucket, where it showed up perfectly transparent just like it should. However, when I uploaded the image through the host, the same problem arose.

So, as for responses, please don't tell me that I have to use the magic wand or use an image host, I've tried both. I looked it up on the internet, and it should be working. I feared there might be a problem with PC, but as I see it, many other people have successfully uploaded transparent avatars, so what's the problem here?

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
Years
Hey, I need help with my avatar. It's the one I've currently got, but as you can see, it has a white background. I really want to change it so that the white is transparent. You know what I mean.

What I did was put the image in an image editor called Paint.NET. I used the magic wand tool to make the white transparent, and it worked perfectly. However, when I tried uploading it to PC, the background was still white. I then tried uploading the pic to photobucket, where it showed up perfectly transparent just like it should. However, when I uploaded the image through the host, the same problem arose.

So, as for responses, please don't tell me that I have to use the magic wand or use an image host, I've tried both. I looked it up on the internet, and it should be working. I feared there might be a problem with PC, but as I see it, many other people have successfully uploaded transparent avatars, so what's the problem here?

Did you save the image as a PNG or another transparency-support image filetype? Filetypes such as JPEG won't do.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I think it might've gotten resized. Like I had a 131x130 image once, and PC resized it automatically, and the transparency vanished. I think that might be the case here.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Why would transparency disappear when an avatar is resized? Does it always do that?

6gil2w.png

http://i44.tinypic.com/6gil2w.png

Try using this link, or save the image as a png to your computer and upload it as usual as your avatar. If that doesn't work either, you might be right about the problem being with PC.
EDIT: ok now that I think about it, transparent avatars that get minimized in VM convos and such, become white instead. So that might actually be the thing.

Xilfer

Just won't die.
Years
Okay, I've used the link you sent, Red. It seems to have worked. Thanks. :D

As for the problem, I would speculate that it was the image getting resized, since I did save it as PNG when I uploaded it. Now that I think about it, the image that appears on PC is smaller than the original, so it would make sense. I'm not sure why it would go white when resized, but at least the problemo is solved.

Thanks guys.

Back