PDA

View Full Version : [Megathread] Super Smash Bros Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Spinosaurus
June 4th, 2013, 09:18 AM
With there being a week left until the inevitable Smash 4 reveal, I thought I could garner interest by making this thread as an official discussion of the series.

So played it? Loved it? This is the place to voice your opinion about the series. Who do you main? Which of the three games is your favorite? How about your favorite stage? And who would you like to see in the next Smash game?

Lil Mac 4 Smash

Rest
June 4th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Loved SSBM and SSBB, but I'll go with SSBB for the sheer fun of it. I've spent hours upon hours playing that game with my roommates.

I don't know! I'd love to see more Pokemon! It's probably likely that they'll drop Lucario and go ahead with a new, relevant humanoid Pokemon like Zoroark, a popular Pokemon like Eevee, or another version of Pokemon Trainer with 5th-gen starters. Personally I hope Mewtwo comes back. That was my favourite character from SSBM and my main, though I feel like Mewtwo was a one-and-done thing.

I'd be down with Lil Mac.

Spinosaurus
June 4th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Highly doubt they'd drop Lucario considering he's still heavily promoted, and we have to consider his popularity. Zoroark is no where near as big. I'd stay he'd stay, with Mewtwo coming back. That was the original plan, after all.

Patrick
June 4th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Hum, I'm thinking of something new to say for a change here... -,'

Uh, I dunno, maybe it'll be one of the games people can try at Best Buy if they reveal it at E3? Cool if so, but I'm really hoping for Sonic Lost World.

Playable Rick/Kine/Coo or bust. Also, I'll lol if Ninten makes it in somehow while keeping Ness and Lucas.

Pinkie-Dawn
June 5th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Shoot, you beat me to making this thread.

I love playing Brawl, and I main R.O.B. in that game. Shadow Moses is my favorite stage because of the Snake codecs; I definitely wish for them to return with the addition of Pit codec based on Uprising. In all honesty, I've been hoping for a female trainer to appear in SSB4 ever since Red was confirmed for Brawl at the Dojo and when I first saw Dawn's performance in the anime, which is why I despise Iris and wish she doesn't make it in first. Everyone else who makes is just a mere bonus, as long as it's not Paper Mario, Dr. Mario, or any version of an already-existing Mario character as a separate character (you know, time paradox). There's a reason why it only works for the Zelda series when having two different Links.

Miss Doronjo
June 5th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Ahh Brawl; yeah, I really used to love playing Brawl. To be honest though, I prefer Melee for a number of things, but, Brawl is also pretty good! In Brawl I play as Diddy Kong, Pikachu, Kirby and Zelda mostly~ I used to play "competitively" until I couldn't stand dealing with online lag anymore, so yeaaaah.

I really hope Lyn from Fire Emblem, "Toon Zelda", and Issac from Golden Sun can make an apparence in the next brawl~

Spinosaurus
June 7th, 2013, 03:24 AM
I bought Super Smash Bros 64 yesterday and damn, it feels so good when there are hit stuns. Everyone is so overpowered in this game. Since Captain Falcon is my main in Melee, it'd be redundant to main him here, so I main DK who actually isn't crappy in this one! Feels good to use the ape when he isn't so bad.

If you're curious on who I main in Brawl, it's Wario and Snake. I'll definitely keep maining Wario in Smash 4 as well. His play style was how I started liking the guy.

Also, Sakurai confirmed a debut trailer on Tuesday. Get hyped!
http://www.neshq.com/sprite/little_mac.gifhttp://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/093/a/0/nostalgia_number_49__king_k__rool_by_yoursuperheroine-d4uvcem.gifhttp://24.media.tumblr.com/8ae16ebb1cb637c9b35138eccd351017/tumblr_mki16lN2wH1qeie3mo1_100.pnghttp://img-cache.cdn.gaiaonline.com/6180f3fd7d3cbfc8be04ece5ee84a07a/http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs31/f/2008/219/2/6/Fire_Emblem_Lyn_by_EnixCloud1.gifhttp://www.mariowiki.com/images/thumb/a/a6/Jimmy_T._WarioWare_Mega_Microgames.png/72px-Jimmy_T._WarioWare_Mega_Microgames.png
http://24.media.tumblr.com/9a89e216a21441a8b5ee24d51a701dc9/tumblr_mn4j7mKNQX1qit5s0o1_400.gif
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5c3z2aHAR1qc9ivxo1_400.pnghttp://www.mariowiki.com/images/thumb/3/35/WLSSyrup.png/300px-WLSSyrup.png

Am I missing anyone?
EDIT:
How could I forget?
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/6788/ouendanebagentskv5.gif

Rest
June 7th, 2013, 03:34 AM
GET ****ING HYPED

Pretty confident Mewthree will take one of the roster slots.

Am I the only one here who's hoping for a Mario clone (or the return of Dr. Mario)?

Spinosaurus
June 7th, 2013, 03:47 AM
Loved Dr. Mario in Melee. I'm all in for him coming back. Hell, out of all the Melee character who missed the Brawl boat, he's the one I want. I actually don't care about the rest. Pichu sucks, Marth (and Ike, for that matter) >>>> Roy, Toon Link >>>> Young Link and Mewtwo needs a huge moveset overhaul if they want me to care about him.

I also don't get Roy's popularity. He's better than Chrom, but if a lord should be in, it's what we have, Ephraim (Lance user, we need a departure from swords) and Lyn (samurai style). Micaiah's alright too, but I can't see a mage working. I get Mewtwo though.

Pinkie-Dawn
June 7th, 2013, 06:26 AM
Am I the only one here who's hoping for a Mario clone (or the return of Dr. Mario)?

Loved Dr. Mario in Melee. I'm all in for him coming back.

Sweet Arceus no, if you read my previous post, all Dr. Mario did was creating a time paradox in the Mario Universe, much like how they did with the Baby Mario characters, Metal Mario, and Dry Bowser in Mario sports games. This is also why I do not want Paper Mario in for the same reason. Having two versions of the same character only works in the Zelda Universe, because there's canonically more than one Link and more than one Zelda, but there is only one Mario in the Mario Universe, as every version of him is canonically the same person. The only possible candidate for a fifth Mario rep is Toad, since no realistic baby dragon noises are known to exist for Bowser Jr. to ditch his cartoonish voice much like Bowser, DK, and Diddy Kong (Yoshi's the only one who keeps his voice, for he's canonically known to talk according to Otacon from Snake's codec), and Waluigi was described to be an unnecessary character and, according to Screwattack, a very bad one.

I also don't get Roy's popularity. He's better than Chrom, but if a lord should be in, it's what we have, Ephraim (Lance user, we need a departure from swords) and Lyn (samurai style).

Ephraim and Lyn can't be playable in Smash Bros. without their co-stars (Erika for Ephraim, and Eliwood, Hector, and your avatar for Lyn), who are equally as important to the plot as them. The same applies to Chrom, who is not the only main focus in Awakening unless Sakurai is able to make him pair up with Lucina or the Avatar to differentiate himself from the other Fire Emblem reps, so if we're ever going to get a third Fire Emblem rep, it'll be either Roy's return or Anna, who is FE's secondary mascot.

Micaiah's alright too, but I can't see a mage working.

Zelda would like to speak with you.

Rest
June 7th, 2013, 08:59 AM
snip

Isn't Super Smash Bros. essentially a non-canonical series though?

Pinkie-Dawn
June 7th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Isn't Super Smash Bros. essentially a non-canonical series though?

Not according to Snake's codecs and the Star Fox codecs, which confirms that they are the same characters from their respective game series. So it's important for Smash Bros. to not mess with the continuity of pre-existing franchises in the game. It's why I had such a hard time organizing the Zelda series for my roster prediction prior to E3, by replacing Ganondrof with Demise and Make Zelda and Sheik into separate characters, as no know concept art of Skyward Sword is known to exist for both Sheik and Ganondorf.

Daddebayo
June 7th, 2013, 11:47 AM
I think perhaps Norman should be in the next Smash Bros., as he's a father-like figure to the trainer, the only one who is actually there! He could use Slakoth and its evolutions. According to the calculations I've done on the roster, this is very possible.

Spinosaurus
June 7th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Explain Ridley and Meta Ridley co-existing when they're the same character. (There is no way the space pirates would've been able to reconstruct him in that short amount of time.) Or Mario having FLUDD when it presumably malfunctioned after Sunshine's events. Also, Shiek is not related with Twilight Princess Zelda, at all, yet she's there as her transformation. Toon Link and Link are both in, and despite being different characters, were still of a different timeline according to the "canon" (lol), so that alone is a time paradox, same with Ness and Lucas. Also, Snake is presumably MGS1 Snake, yet he has Big Boss's face, who is a different character, and he is wearing his MGS2 suit. There's no canon here. Also, Diddy Kong's Brawl voice is VERY similar to his voice in Donkey Kong Country. Bowser and DK also constantly change voice actors. Bowser Jr.'s voice has no bearing on whether or not he can get in or not.

As for your Lyn argument (I can get behind Eiphraim needing Eirika). This is the game that has Wario in his Warioware appearance but the other members of the Warioware crew, who are of equal importance in the series, never appear. Captain Falcon isn't more important than Pico, Dr. Stewart or especially Samurai Goroh except for the fact he's the presumed main character. Lyn also appeared as an assist trophy, yet Eliwood and Hector are nowhere to be seen.

I personally found Zelda's moveset to be awfully bland anyway.

Anyhow, I got bored so I tried to make an ideal roster for the next game. Some choices aside (like, 4) I tried to make it as not biased as possible.
http://abload.de/img/idealteu04.png

50 characters. All Brawl characters re-appear. 15 newcomers. (Around the same amount as Brawl's newcomers, but just like one or two more.) Blue border are characters that are unlocked from the start, whereas the red borders are "secret" unlockable characters. I also ordered them in what I feel like the best possible order. (Ex. the strategic games, Fire Emblem, Pikmin, and Advance Wars are in the same row. The NES-only characters are together. Punch Out, Metroid and Kid Icarus started as NES games that are popular particularly in the west so they're together. F-Zero and Star Fox together because of the space theme, etc.)

I couldn't decide between Captain Syrup and Kat & Ana, so I put both there for anyone to decide on whether a Warioware rep would be better than a Wario Land one. Kat & Ana could be considered filler for other Warioware characters not named Ashley.
Groose and Mewtwo are filler for their respective series. Groose less so, though.
King K.Rool, Lil Mac, Ridley, Chrom, Palutena and Samurai Goroh are the popularly requested character and the obvious choices, if you will. Mewtwo too if he was the Pokemon rep.
C. Syrup/Warioware rep serve as another Wario character, which is a big franchise to just have one representative.
Toon Link is iffy. I put Toon Zelda with him as another Ice Climber esque character because she fought with him in Wind Waker and particularly Spirit Tracks, and also to differentiate him from Link. Diddy + Dixie served as a huge hurdle for the development team, however, and I can see this being worse.
Takamura is the retro rep. But I also added another in Mr. Stevenson. He could be the "Mr. Game & Watch" character if you will, as he could represent the NES gun games. Of course, you could replace him with the Duck Hunt dog for that, but I'd rather Stevenson, personally.
Sami and Karate Joe are more personal choices, but Rhythm Heaven is huge in japan, and a character from the series is actually not that far from the realm. Japan would love him. Sami is kinda the opposite, because Advance Wars is pretty big in the west, and it's criminal not to have a rep. It's either her or Andy, but Sami's much more of a fighter. No one likes Max.
Ryuta (also Agent J) is another personal one, and he's DEFINITELY not gonna be in. So you could replace him with whoever you want. Karate Joe makes him obsolete anyway. Still, he'd be a great WTF choice.
Mega Man is who I can see as the most likely 3rd party rep. But you could look at him as a filler for that.

Thoughts? Like it? Not? Would you be happy if that ended up being the end roster?

Pinkie-Dawn
June 7th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Explain Ridley and Meta Ridley co-existing when they're the same character. (There is no way the space pirates would've been able to reconstruct him in that short amount of time.) Or Mario having FLUDD when it presumably malfunctioned after Sunshine's events. Also, Shiek is not related with Twilight Princess Zelda, at all, yet she's there as her transformation. Toon Link and Link are both in, and despite being different characters, were still of a different timeline according to the "canon" (lol), so that alone is a time paradox, same with Ness and Lucas. Also, Snake is presumably MGS1 Snake, yet he has Big Boss's face, who is a different character, and he is wearing his MGS2 suit. There's no canon here.

A time paradox in my definition is when two versions of the same character, who are canonically the same one, appear as separate characters in a game with a large roster, and this applies to any franchise but the Zelda series. So really, Ness and Lucas can get away with my definition of time paradox since they're not related. There was scrapped concept art for Shiek's Twilight Princess design , which was why she was still part of TP Zelda's transformation. It can said that Meta-Ridley is actually the same Ridley Samus and Pikachu took down in SSE (and Nintendo logic applies that space pirates may have reconstruct him in that short amount of time).

Also, Diddy Kong's Brawl voice is VERY similar to his voice in Donkey Kong Country. Bowser and DK also constantly change voice actors. Bowser Jr.'s voice has no bearing on whether or not he can get in or not.

But how will Bowser Jr. sound in Smash Bros.? Like I said, there aren't any media sources for baby dragon noises for Jr., given how non-human Mario characters excluding Yoshi are given realistic animal noises. I know this reason is why King K. Rool's inclusion is an automatic shoe-in, for there exists realistic crocodilian noises.

As for your Lyn argument (I can get behind Eiphraim needing Eirika). This is the game that has Wario in his Warioware appearance but the other members of the Warioware crew, who are of equal importance in the series, never appear. Captain Falcon isn't more important than Pico, Dr. Stewart or especially Samurai Goroh except for the fact he's the presumed main character. Lyn also appeared as an assist trophy, yet Eliwood and Hector are nowhere to be seen.

Doesn't that also make it suspcious as to why Lyn was an assist trophy in the first place? The WarioWare characters can be seen as just minor characters and not as important as Wario himself, which is why the guys in Smashboards agree that his series is fine with only one rep. For Captain Falcon, I think someone from Smashboards commented that he was included because he's Sakurai's favorite character. While I can agree that F-Zero would need a second rep, but I think that including Samurai Goroh will mean not including Takamaru, for they share the same concept, so Black Shadow is an alternate choice just so we can recreate that falcon punch meme.

Anyhow, I got bored so I tried to make an ideal roster for the next game. Some choices aside (like, 4) I tried to make it as not biased as possible.
http://abload.de/img/idealteu04.png

50 characters. All Brawl characters re-appear. 15 newcomers. (Around the same amount as Brawl's newcomers, but just like one or two more.) Blue border are characters that are unlocked from the start, whereas the red borders are "secret" unlockable characters. I also ordered them in what I feel like the best possible order. (Ex. the strategic games, Fire Emblem, Pikmin, and Advance Wars are in the same row. The NES-only characters are together. Punch Out, Metroid and Kid Icarus started as NES games that are popular particularly in the west so they're together. F-Zero and Star Fox together because of the space theme, etc.)

I couldn't decide between Captain Syrup and Kat & Ana, so I put both there for anyone to decide on whether a Warioware rep would be better than a Wario Land one. Kat & Ana could be considered filler for other Warioware characters not named Ashley.
Groose and Mewtwo are filler for their respective series. Groose less so, though.
King K.Rool, Lil Mac, Ridley, Chrom, Palutena and Samurai Goroh are the popularly requested character and the obvious choices, if you will. Mewtwo too if he was the Pokemon rep.
C. Syrup/Warioware rep serve as another Wario character, which is a big franchise to just have one representative.
Toon Link is iffy. I put Toon Zelda with him as another Ice Climber esque character because she fought with him in Wind Waker and particularly Spirit Tracks, and also to differentiate him from Link. Diddy + Dixie served as a huge hurdle for the development team, however, and I can see this being worse.
Takamura is the retro rep. But I also added another in Mr. Stevenson. He could be the "Mr. Game & Watch" character if you will, as he could represent the NES gun games. Of course, you could replace him with the Duck Hunt dog for that, but I'd rather Stevenson, personally.
Sami and Karate Joe are more personal choices, but Rhythm Heaven is huge in japan, and a character from the series is actually not that far from the realm. Japan would love him. Sami is kinda the opposite, because Advance Wars is pretty big in the west, and it's criminal not to have a rep. It's either her or Andy, but Sami's much more of a fighter. No one likes Max.
Ryuta (also Agent J) is another personal one, and he's DEFINITELY not gonna be in. So you could replace him with whoever you want. Karate Joe makes him obsolete anyway. Still, he'd be a great WTF choice.
Mega Man is who I can see as the most likely 3rd party rep. But you could look at him as a filler for that.

Thoughts? Like it? Not? Would you be happy if that ended up being the end roster?

Don't expect the roster to be 50, because Sakurai said that there will be less newcomers this time around and would rather focus on balancing the current roster we have from Brawl. I suspect cutting some characters until the number of the roster is somewhere in the late 30s or early 40s.

Daddebayo
June 7th, 2013, 12:55 PM
A time paradox in my definition is when two versions of the same character, who are canonically the same one, appear as separate characters in a game with a large roster, and this applies to any franchise but the Zelda series. So really, Ness and Lucas can get away with my definition of time paradox since they're not related. There was scrapped concept art for Shiek's Twilight Princess design , which was why she was still part of TP Zelda's transformation. It can said that Meta-Ridley is actually the same Ridley Samus and Pikachu took down in SSE (and Nintendo logic applies that space pirates may have reconstruct him in that short amount of time).

All the characters are trophies. There is no time paradox. THEY'RE TROPHIES. That's like not selling certain toys because it would create a time paradox. Super Smash Bros is just a fighting game, there are no rules for things like this.

Spinosaurus
June 7th, 2013, 01:04 PM
What the above poster said. Still don't see how a time paradox is a problem. I mean, you can have 4 Marios fighting at the same time in this game, so it's not any different.

But how will Bowser Jr. sound in Smash Bros.? Like I said, there aren't any media sources for baby dragon noises for Jr., given how non-human Mario characters excluding Yoshi are given realistic animal noises. I know this reason is why King K. Rool's inclusion is an automatic shoe-in, for there exists realistic crocodilian noises.
The same as always? Like I said, DK and Bowser always constantly change voice actors. Yoshi doesn't. (For the know how to talk thing, Bowser and Bowser Jr. talk too.) See how it is?

Doesn't that also make it suspcious as to why Lyn was an assist trophy in the first place? The WarioWare characters can be seen as just minor characters and not as important as Wario himself, which is why the guys in Smashboards agree that his series is fine with only one rep. For Captain Falcon, I think someone from Smashboards commented that he was included because he's Sakurai's favorite character. While I can agree that F-Zero would need a second rep, but I think that including Samurai Goroh will mean not including Takamaru, for they share the same concept, so Black Shadow is an alternate choice just so we can recreate that falcon punch meme.
When has Smashboards ever decided for the Smash roster? And they were they ever right? They thought Geno was a shoe-in, for god's sake.

Takamaru uses shuriken and magic too. He's also very diligent. Goroh is really reckless though, and you could give him a pistol and it wouldn't be out of context since the guy's realistically a bandit before he is a samurai anyway.

Don't expect the roster to be 50, because Sakurai said that there will be less newcomers this time around and would rather focus on balancing the current roster we have from Brawl. I suspect cutting some characters until the number of the roster is somewhere in the late 30s or early 40s.
He said the same thing before Brawl and we still got 14 characters. He always forgets that the characters are what sells the game. I think 50 characters is the most that could be achieved, and this is with all the Brawl cast returning which is what I was going for. a 40-45 range is the most likely, but pushing for a 50 is not impossible at all, since he never intended to remove any Melee character bar Pichu. (Sonic was the reason Doctor, Roy and Mewtwo were scrapped.) Also, he said that before the game was outsourced to Namco Bandai, and if Tekken Tag Tour 2 is anything to go by, a 50 character roster and a balanced one is not far-off at all. (TTT2 is hilariously more balanced than Super Street Fighter 4.)

Pinkie-Dawn
June 7th, 2013, 02:59 PM
He said the same thing before Brawl and we still got 14 characters. He always forgets that the characters are what sells the game. I think 50 characters is the most that could be achieved, and this is with all the Brawl cast returning which is what I was going for. a 40-45 range is the most likely, but pushing for a 50 is not impossible at all, since he never intended to remove any Melee character bar Pichu. (Sonic was the reason Doctor, Roy and Mewtwo were scrapped.) Also, he said that before the game was outsourced to Namco Bandai, and if Tekken Tag Tour 2 is anything to go by, a 50 character roster and a balanced one is not far-off at all. (TTT2 is hilariously more balanced than Super Street Fighter 4.)

I wish that was true, but a friend of mine from BMGF, who is a mod and an expert on the video game industry, believes the roster will be the same number as Brawl's, which is 35, with severe character cuts to make room for newcomers. These are the characters he believes will be cut: Luigi, Ganondorf (replaced by Ghirahim), Toon Link, Ice Climbers, R.O.B., Olimar (replaced by a Pikmin 3 protagonist), Lucario (replaced by a current gen Pokemon), Jigglypuff, Ike (replaced by Chrom), and Mr. Game & Watch. As much as I don't like this idea, it should be considered for us Smash players, as he fully analyzed the article containing Sakurai's quote.

Dansparce
June 7th, 2013, 03:34 PM
I wish that was true, but a friend of mine from BMGF, who is a mod and an expert on the video game industry, believes the roster will be the same number as Brawl's, which is 35, with severe character cuts to make room for newcomers. These are the characters he believes will be cut: Luigi, Ganondorf (replaced by Ghirahim), Toon Link, Ice Climbers, R.O.B., Olimar (replaced by a Pikmin 3 protagonist), Lucario (replaced by a current gen Pokemon), Jigglypuff, Ike (replaced by Chrom), and Mr. Game & Watch. As much as I don't like this idea, it should be considered for us Smash players, as he fully analyzed the article containing Sakurai's quote.

I severely doubt they're gonna cut Luigi from the roster. It is the Year of Luigi after all, so removing him from the next Smash Bros seems kind of stupid to leave him out. I'd prefer it if his move-set was changed to use the Poltergust 3000 for his attacks, rather then have the same moves as Mario. As for Ganondorf, I wouldn't mind if he was removed as long as they made whoever replaces him fun to play as.

bobandbill
June 7th, 2013, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I would put zero stock in theories in which Luigi is cut out. He's getting more focus than ever, LM2 came out this year and he's also getting his version of SMBs on the Wii U and also further focus on the next partners game. He's not going anywhere.

Ganondorf and Jigglypuff are two others I don't expect to leave.
I'd prefer it if his move-set was changed to use the Poltergust 3000 for his attacks, rather then have the same moves as Mario.Agreed.

Pinkie-Dawn
June 7th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Welp, time to list my final roster prediction before E3. Each series will be organzied horizontally like Melee's, since my vertical version was too awkward to work in terms of organizing each series into a theme like Brawl's:

Row 1: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, King K. Rool, Yoshi, Wario
Row 2: Link, Zelda, Demise, Shiek, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Captain Falcon, Olimar
Row 3: Kirby, Metaknight, King Dedede, Samus, Ridley, Pit, Takamaru, Mach Rider, Ice Climbers
Row 4: Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer (Unova), Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Marth, Ike, Ness, Lucas, Shulk
Row 5: Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., Dillon, Non-Specific Action Figure, Wonderful 101, Snake, Sonic, Third third-party rep, Random Button

- I replaced Ganondorf with Demise, who is technically Ganondorf himself in his earliest incarnation, and I made Shiek a separate character because no concept art of Skyward Sword is known to exist for both her and Ganondorf (plus, it'll make little sense for me to use OoT Ganondorf, as Link and Zelda's SS incarnations do not wield the other pieces of the Triforce).
- I didn't add Palutena on the list in case Sakurai's modesty gets the best of him by not adding her to the roster.
- The Pokemon Trainer will use be Unova-based, so the series won't have too many Gen 1 reps, in fear of pleasing the genwunners, and because Leaf isn't considered as canon in the Pokemon storyline, so they can't use a gender swap option for Red, Brawl's Pokemon Trainer.
- I didn't add a third FE rep in favor of having Shulk somewhere on my roster, for he suits the theme of Row 4, which I call it the RPG row.
- N-SAF's inclusion is the result of his meme status from last year's E3, as well as this game's surprise character.

Responses are welcome.

Dansparce
June 7th, 2013, 08:51 PM
I'll go over Pinkie's while i think of my own.

Row 1: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, King K. Rool, Yoshi, Wario

This is probably the all the characters from the Mario/DK series that could go in this game. I could definitely see them all getting into the next Smash bros. However, I want Luigi to have a reworked move-set (and for King K. Rool to be awesome).

Row 2: Link, Zelda, Demise, Shiek, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Captain Falcon, Olimar

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if they made Demise replace Ganondorf, as long as there was an alternative skin to make him look like Ganondorf.

Row 3: Kirby, Metaknight, King Dedede, Samus, Ridley, Pit, Takamaru, Mach Rider, Ice Climbers

I love the idea of being able to play as Ridley, since Metroid really needs more representatives.As long as Samus keeps the ability to switch into zero-suit, i'll be happy. I don't know much about Takamaru, but his Nintendo Land mini-game was fun, so i guess it'd be a good way to spiritually bring him back. Finally Mach Rider seems incredibly hard to implement and would probably be unbalanced due to it being on a motorcycle for all of its attacks (which is the same reason i don't want any excitebike racers in it).

Row 4: Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer (Unova), Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Marth, Ike, Ness, Lucas, Shulk

They definitely need to put Shulk or a different Xenoblade character in Smash Bros, so those series can garner some more interest. And as for Pokemon Trainer I don't really mind if they change what pokemon they have.

Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., Dillon, Non-Specific Action Figure, Wonderful 101, Snake, Sonic, Third third-party rep, Random Button

I'd much rather a different "ware" representative then Dillon, maybe Shantae? As for Wonderful 101, i'd rather there be 1-3 of the characters fighting along side eachother rather than all 101 (Unless of course you don't actually mean all 101 of them). For a third party character I could see Random Button being a top contender, although Megaman seems slightly more likely. As for Non-Specific Action Figure, let's just say he's going to be in the next smash bros one way or another

Pinkie-Dawn
June 7th, 2013, 09:04 PM
I love the idea of being able to play as Ridley, since Metroid really needs more representatives.As long as Samus keeps the ability to switch into zero-suit, i'll be happy. I don't know much about Takamaru, but his Nintendo Land mini-game was fun, so i guess it'd be a good way to spiritually bring him back. Finally Mach Rider seems incredibly hard to implement and would probably be unbalanced due to it being on a motorcycle for all of its attacks (which is the same reason i don't want any excitebike racers in it).

Mach Rider doesn't have to be in his motorcycle all the time; he can be more like Ghost Rider from Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, minus the fire-based moves. That's how I imagine his fighting style. Besides, Sakurai did plan to include him in the roster one day since the pre-Melee days from one of his interviews and responses.

I'd much rather a different "ware" representative then Dillon, maybe Shantae? As for Wonderful 101, i'd rather there be 1-3 of the characters fighting along side eachother rather than all 101 (Unless of course you don't actually mean all 101 of them). For a third party character I could see Random Button being a top contender, although Megaman seems slightly more likely. As for Non-Specific Action Figure, let's just say he's going to be in the next smash bros one way or another

Isn't Shantae not a Nintendo rep, but a third-party rep? I also hear that she's also a Capcom character, so it would be unfair if a third party company has more than one rep in the roster if they were to also include Mega Man. Of course I'm not going to include all 101 of them, that'll be absurd, but I do see the leader making it in over the rest of the team.

reshilegend
June 8th, 2013, 07:02 AM
So..I've never played a Smash Bros game before, but I'm still pretty hyped for the new game (will probably get the 3ds version). It'll be interesting to see how they adapt the game for a portable version. The thing is, they could implement 3ds exclusive content (like characters and stages) which would make people want both versions. But that would mean that there won't be any Wii U/3ds cross play like Sony's fighting game (forgot the name) has. Tbh I personally wouldn't care about that since I don't own a Wii U, but many people would want this.
About the new characters:My guesses would be Chrom and Lucina/Lissa from FE:A, 2-3 new pokemon (mainly from XY I think, that's a good way of promoting the game).
Layton anyone? :P

Spinosaurus
June 8th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Everyone should play a Smash game. ;) You can't go wrong with any of the three, but the general consensus is that Melee is the best one, and I agree.

But please god not TWO Awakening characters. Chrom polluting the game alone is bad enough, and Fire Emblem is not big enough for 4 characters so one of them got to replace either Ike or Marth, which is something I'm completely against and it would cause a negative reaction. It's completely crazy there are people who are actively rooting for Lucina to replace Marth. I'd honestly rather not see anything from Awakening, it's an awful entry to an otherwise a fantastic franchise. Ike and Marth are the perfect characters for the series, but unfortunately Chrom is definitely getting in. :/ Guess I have to deal with Mr. Bland in Smash 4 as well.

2-3 Pokemon is too much as well. Two is...probably likely if they replace one of the existing ones, but eh.

Shantae is not owned by Capcom. It is a third party, though.

JayTheKing
June 10th, 2013, 12:42 PM
I have only played the N64 version a little bit and i would like this game is i get a 3ds.
I want Reala from Nights into Dreams but it is most likely not going to happen.

Rest
June 11th, 2013, 06:46 AM
The announced new characters are Villager and Megaman.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUyoUfy5hGs) is up.

reshilegend
June 11th, 2013, 07:06 AM
Wow. Amazing trailer, looks like the 3ds version has a different art style as the Wii U one.

Spinosaurus
June 11th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Punch Out ring stage = Lil Mac as good as confirmed.

Villager looks awesome! Mega Man reveal was hype, too.
Pit has an Uprising moveset. Samus looks like she's based on her Other M appearance judging by the design and screenshot. Hope that means she's back being agile again, because she was super clunky and slow in Brawl.

http://www.smashbros.com/images/character/donkey_kong/main.png
THE BEST

Zet
June 11th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Oh thank God the Megaman from Capcom vs Marvel isn't being used.

Pinkie-Dawn
June 11th, 2013, 07:37 AM
So far, the confirmed returing veterans are 7/8 of the original 8 default characters, Bowser, and Pit, and only 2 newcomers were confirmed: The Villager and Mega Man.

Looks like Sakurai wasn't kinding about having less newcomers than last time, so that's probably a reasonable number of newcomers revealed in the trailer, but that doesn't stop the guys from My Nintendo News from being underwhelmed by the trailer being inferior to Brawl's. Also, because of the new DKC game, new 3D Mario game, Samus' Other M design, an Uprising stage, and the confirmation of a Punch Out!! stage, my guesses are that Dixie Kong, Toad, Ridley, Palutena, and Little Mac are next in line as newcomers.

Spinosaurus
June 11th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Yoshi was one of the original 8 but he was not confirmed in the trailer. He's obviously gonna be in but I thought that was odd.

EDIT: woops misread

Miss Doronjo
June 11th, 2013, 07:44 AM
I'm just wondering about the 1st Player mode. I really hope that if there's going to be a campaign, there will be enemies that will be specific to each franchise unlike Brawl which... pretty much had generic enemies. Other than that, I'm pretty stoked! ^^

machomuu
June 11th, 2013, 07:59 AM
I really hope those remixed Megaman themes are in the game. Glad they picked those two themes as well, especially the Dr.Wily Stage 1 theme.

Miss Doronjo
June 11th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Just been confirmed - Wii Fit Trainer Joins Next Super Smash Bros.

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/06/11/wii-fit-trainer-joins-next-super-smash-bros/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Not... sure what they can do. XD

reshilegend
June 11th, 2013, 11:03 AM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/e3-2013-wii-fit-trainer-character-coming-to-smash-bros

What.
I have no words right now. I hope this is a joke (even though it clearly says "not a joke" o_o)

Edit: Ninja'd

Miss Doronjo
June 11th, 2013, 11:11 AM
It's no joke. XD

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2013/06/xwiifittrainerwatermark.png.pagespeed.ic.LHAW8PWo0i.png

All her moves are apparently "fitness based".

reshilegend
June 11th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Okay, this is hilarious xD
Now I want to play as my Mii.

Here's the Wii Fit trainer trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEvi2vcarSA

machomuu
June 11th, 2013, 11:17 AM
What if she turns out to be an incredibly fun fighter? I could see Wii Fit Trainer being my favorite character.

Patrick
June 11th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Saw new trailer. Rock Boy is so cute... uh, I mean cool. Yes, that.

If stages have a zillion songs per stage like Brawl did, and if the Wily Castle is a legit locale, please God, remix Wily Stage 1 from Mega Man 7 and Wily Tower stage 2 from Mega Man 8.
http://www.nohomers.net/images/smilies/megabang.gif

Come to think of it, Danger Wrap would've been a funny weapon to include, if for no other reason than to annoy.

Pinkie-Dawn
June 11th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Looks like the Wii Fit Trainer is our WTF character in the same vain as Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B., and she gets bonus points for increasing the female ratio in the roster. I gotta re-write my roster soon.

machomuu
June 11th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Wii Fit Trainer in action:
lBoL1Ic9uWw

Nuke
June 11th, 2013, 12:06 PM
I'll probably be picking the 3DS version up assuming it's of the same standard as previous SSB games which I'm sure it will be.

Outside of the Pokemon characters, I'm hoping Sonic will make a return to the roster. Which seems quite likely with Lost World being a Nintendo exclusive game. I wouldn't mind seeing Metal Sonic as an alternate costume for Sonic as well.

SnowpointQuincy
June 11th, 2013, 12:20 PM
MEGA MAN !!!

I AM IN LOVE!

Probably won't buy it because it's not much of a single player game. However... I hope to see a New Megaman game in the future. Megaman has been shafted in the past few years with games being canceled and such...

A man can dream...

Patrick
June 11th, 2013, 12:43 PM
RE Wii Fit Trainer: Official footage of Nintendo characters put into comical situations? Brilliant. I need more of this. Make it happen, Nintendo. :D

Link literally made me laugh out loud.

bobandbill
June 11th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Music wise already looks good. Dr Wily's theme. Heck yes. Also Spirit Tracks overworld tune for the 3DS version, excellent.

Animal crossing villager seems to be an interesting character, and I quite like how Megaman seems to be used. Wii Fit trainer is...well, quite unexpected. As he said, I don't think anyone saw that coming.

Wouldn't mind a move for her being whacking someone with the Wii Fit board. =p

Rest
June 11th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Haha, that's just hilarious. I'm glad Nintendo is thinking outside the box with its roster. I think it's a fine addition.

I just realised Villager can change to Balloon Fighter at some point. Nice!

Pinkie-Dawn
June 11th, 2013, 08:04 PM
There's a rumor going on that we're suppose to have six newcomers revealed throughout E3: http://gematsu.com/2013/06/wii-fit-trainer-joins-super-smash-bros

The first three are the already confirmed Villager, Mega Man, and Wii Fit Trainer, and the last three, who are yet to be confirmed, are Little Mac, Pac-Man, and Mii. I'm kinda skeptical about this, because both the Villager and WFT have already covered moves that the Mii would've done.

h0tshot1025
June 11th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Ohmygod. The Wii Fit Trainer is hilarious. She scares me for some reason though.
Her final smash is so colorful but deadly.
I wonder what would be different from the 3DS and Wii U version aside from the graphics.
I'm planning to get a 3DS and I now have all the reasons in the world.
I kinda want a Kirby game right now @w@

Rest
June 11th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Ohmygod. The Wii Fit Trainer is hilarious. She scares me for some reason though.
I wonder what would be different from the 3DS and Wii U version aside from the graphics.

The developers pointed out (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQD1yJinzeQ) that unlike the Wii U version, the 3DS version has a graphical difference in that the characters will have a black outline around them.

EDIT: Ah, didn't read that properly! I thought you were asking about the difference in graphics specifically.

As for the other three possible newcomers, I'm wondering how my Mii would pan out.

AWsquared
June 12th, 2013, 12:20 AM
OMG what? Wii-Fit Trainer? That beyond hilarious. XD Her final smash looks powerful and colorful for a fitness trainer. I guess she's a novelty player. Like Game and Watch and R.O.B.

The thing I'm most excited about is Megaman. My dream came true I could say.

I'll most likely be getting it for 3DS since I'm getting one for X and Y in the first place. The graphics on the 3DS version look interesting.

Spinosaurus
June 12th, 2013, 01:24 AM
As far as we know, 3DS and Wii U have different stages exclusive to them. Wii U has Major Circuit ring, Dr. Wily, New Leaf Villae and Skyloft stages, whereas 3DS has FE: Awakening Arena, DKCR, Super Mario 3D Land, Gerudo Valley, Spirit Tracks and Nintendogs stages. Judging by the trailer, it looks the 3DS gets the gimmicky stages and the Wii U gets more basic ones. Thank god because Brawl was FILLED with stupid gimmicks.

Wii Fit Trainer looks great! Her inclusion gives me the impression that Karate Joe has a good chance to be in. If she can be in, who can't?

I suspected Bowser and Samus got redone. Particularly Bowser. In the trailer I noticed the new drop kick, and one of the screenshots has him running properly. Samus looks like she got redone animations and looks more agile to compliment the Other M design. Sakurai confirmed my suspicions. Also, the game looks faster and heavier than Brawl, more like Melee, but the Brawl air dodge is there. I hope that means Ganondorf and Wario get redone as well, because their movesets makes no sense for them. Particularly Wario. His playstyle does not fit with faster and heavier mechanics. He should get a Wario Land-esque moveset with Wario World and Warioware nods instead of something completely original. Poor DK got the shaft again, his moveset is still same which means he'll still suck, won't he? :/ Give him a Donkey Kong Country focused moveset, Sakurai!

Most importantly
http://i.imgur.com/vhqNE0M.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/4upO58F.png

Lil Mac as good as confirmed. That Boxing Ring is the major circuit one, no doubt about it. I'm happy!

EDIT: Lil Mac, Mii and Pac Man are pretty much confirmed. The question is, when will they be revealed? They're apparently next.

Rest
June 12th, 2013, 02:41 AM
With Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze around the corner, what are the chances of Dixie Kong making it in? Are people predicting her?

Spinosaurus
June 12th, 2013, 02:46 AM
With Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze around the corner, what are the chances of Dixie Kong making it in? Are people predicting her?
I'm extremely happy to see her in Tropical Freeze (was the highlight for me until David Wise was announced as the composer), but I don't think it has any bearing in her inclusion. The roster has likely been finalized long before Tropical Freeze was announced after all.

I'm actually hard-pressed on whether I want her or K.Rool instead. On one hand, we get a much need female, but on the other we also get a much need villain. I'm fine with both, but I'd say I'd rather see Dixie more.

Rest
June 12th, 2013, 03:30 AM
I'm extremely happy to see her in Tropical Freeze (was the highlight for me until David Wise was announced as the composer), but I don't think it has any bearing in her inclusion. The roster has likely been finalized long before Tropical Freeze was announced after all.

I'm actually hard-pressed on whether I want her or K.Rool instead. On one hand, we get a much need female, but on the other we also get a much need villain. I'm fine with both, but I'd say I'd rather see Dixie more.

I'd rather see Donkey Kong getting four reps (the three Kongs and King K. Rool) over Star Fox (I don't think Star Fox warranted a third rep back in Brawl with Wolf, let alone a fourth rep with Krystal, a character some people are predicting).

I realize you're predicting everyone from Brawl to return. I'm curious, but why? Don't you think a few of them will be benched (I'm referring to Ike, Wolf and R.O.B. specifically)?

Spinosaurus
June 12th, 2013, 03:45 AM
Brawl wasn't supposed to have any cut characters aside from Pichu because he was a straight on joke character, but Roy, Mewtwo and Doctor had to be cut for Sonic. I was just going by that because I know Sakurai knows cutting characters would cause negative reactions.

There is a good chance there will be cut characters, but also a good chance there won't be. I just went with what I wanted. And no, I don't think Ike, Wolf and R.O.B are gonna get cut because they're not clones and people love them. (well, except R.O.B, but most warmed up to him by now.)

Éclair
June 12th, 2013, 04:44 AM
Yup, played all of the SSB games and loved them all! I still play SSBB with my two siblings and neither of us can wait for the new one!

As for characters, I'm hoping they put Mewtwo back in there and perhaps Chrom from Fire Emblem: Awakening. Him or maybe a female character from the Fire Emblem franchise, but God, not Lucina!

I'm not so sure they will be adding a new pokemon (besides Mewtwo) but am so rooting for Eevee! I can easily picture battling with one and for different colours (like Jigglypuff) it could be dressed in different accessories.

I think they should add another Donkey Kong Character since there are so little. With Legend of Zelda, they will probably change Link and Zelda to the Skyward Sword design, keep Toon Link the way he is and maybe change Ganondorf to look like the one from Wind Waker.

Rest
June 12th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Brawl wasn't supposed to have any cut characters aside from Pichu because he was a straight on joke character, but Roy, Mewtwo and Doctor had to be cut for Sonic.

Ah, I see. The more you learn.

I'm not so sure they will be adding a new pokemon (besides Mewtwo) but am so rooting for Eevee! I can easily picture battling with one and for different colours (like Jigglypuff) it could be dressed in different accessories.

Eevee changing to different types of Eeveelutions during its specials doesn't seem like such an out-there idea (even though, technically, that'd be impossible). I'd be down with that (plus, a Sylveon Smash to top it all off would be dope).

There was a discussion on NeoGAF about possible console-exclusive characters. I was against the whole idea at first, but a poster then talked about Sakurai possibly seperating clones into different consoles (for example, Toon Link in Wii U and Young Link in 3DS, or Ike in Wii U and Chrom in 3DS). Different characters, same movesets. That really piqued my interest somehow. What do you guys think about console-exclusive characters (and console exclusivity in general)? Yay or nay?

Tetrakeet
June 12th, 2013, 06:55 AM
I've bought and played every "Smash" game for hours on end. As much as I LOVE the series, I'm hesitant to buy a Wii-U just to play it. I know I'd do terrible on a 3DS (I NEED a controller to play that game, all there is to it) so I won't bother with that version..

Favorite Fighters: Pit (no, I'm not a bow spammer!), Link, Capn' Falcon Punch, DeDeDe, Zelda (Princess forme) and Marth (Ike was fun too, but easy mode).

Truth be told though, I purchased the Gamecube AND Wii SPECIFICALLY to play Smash games (I bought the N64 for Ocarina of Time though xD), so it's still a possibility I'll be hyped into it. >_<

Spinosaurus
June 12th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Man, if I didn't have a Wii U already I'd have bought one just for this game and especially Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. Mario 3D World looks good too I guess but I doubt it'd top NSMBU.

As for characters, I'm hoping they put Mewtwo back in there and perhaps Chrom from Fire Emblem: Awakening. Him or maybe a female character from the Fire Emblem franchise, but God, not Lucina!

I'm with you, Lucina is awful. What baffles me though, is people rooting for her to replace Marth.
I'm curious though, what female Fire Emblem character you want? (I hope to god it's not Tharjah)

There was a discussion on NeoGAF about possible console-exclusive characters. I was against the whole idea at first, but a poster then talked about Sakurai possibly seperating clones into different consoles (for example, Toon Link in Wii U and Young Link in 3DS, or Ike in Wii U and Chrom in 3DS). Different characters, same movesets. That really piqued my interest somehow. What do you guys think about console-exclusive characters (and console exclusivity in general)? Yay or nay?
To be honest, I doubt there would be system-exclusive characters.

Anyway I don't really see the point of that but I wouldn't mind. Personally though, if we can transfer characters (like a two way Pokemon Stadium) I'd have no problem with system exclusives. It means we get to get character like Dillon who otherwise has no chance.

Marth (Ike was fun too, but easy mode).
How is Ike easy mode, but not Marth? :P It's the opposite. It's so god damn hard to win with Ike because he's terrible.

Pinkie-Dawn
June 12th, 2013, 08:45 AM

Where's the source of Sakurai saying that? I wasn't able to find it on Smashboards regarding said source. As for the Toon Link example, Wouldn't it make sense to use "Link Between Worlds" Link for the 3DS rather than Young Link, seeing as that Link uses the same sound clips as Toon Link from the game?

Rest
June 12th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Where's the source of Sakurai saying that? I wasn't able to find it on Smashboards regarding said source. As for the Toon Link example, Wouldn't it make sense to use "Link Between Worlds" Link for the 3DS rather than Young Link, seeing as that Link uses the same sound clips as Toon Link from the game?

I'm just sparking discussion about console exclusivity.

darkpokeball
June 12th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Mega-Man made it, so that's good! I hope Sonic returns(and another char from Sonic franchise.)
But, he can't add 3rd party characters galore, because the game is meant for Nintendo characters and Nintendo fans. Speaking of Nintendo, Pokemon Trainer 2 maybe? Please? PT was an interesting idea, I want to see it happen again, but in a new way, like maybe the XY starters.

Pinkie-Dawn
June 13th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Time to post some fresh new articles regarding SSB:

Don't Expect a lot of third parties in the roster, and the 3DS' limitation may affect the finialized roster for both versions (http://kotaku.com/dont-expect-a-lot-of-third-party-characters-in-the-nex-513203533)

Tripping is no more (http://kotaku.com/no-more-tripping-in-the-new-smash-bros-513187770)

Gameplay will be in-between Melee and Brawl's physics (http://kotaku.com/the-next-smash-bros-will-balance-casual-and-hardcore-513211771)

AWsquared
June 13th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Titles of the game have been revealed by Sakurai.

Since Nintendo's broadcast earlier this week, many have wondered what names would be assigned to the 3DS and Wii U versions of Smash Bros. With Melee and Brawl subtitles already used, would the new games keep the fighting spirit? Scuffle? Skirmish? In this case, series creator Masahiro Sakurai is thinking in simpler terms - the two games are called Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

Kind of simple, but now we know.

Stay tuned to more from my conversation with Masahiro Sakurai as soon as I can possibly type it.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/13/e3-2013-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds-final-names-revealed

Well those are pretty straightforward. Not too creative at all.I rather have them be called "Super Smash Bros. Universe". :/ C'mon Sakurai you could of done better.

machomuu
June 13th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Well hey, they may not be creative, but they're definitely original.

Rest
June 14th, 2013, 03:54 AM
Time to post some fresh new articles regarding SSB:

Don't Expect a lot of third parties in the roster, and the 3DS' limitation may affect the finialized roster for both versions (http://kotaku.com/dont-expect-a-lot-of-third-party-characters-in-the-nex-513203533)

Tripping is no more (http://kotaku.com/no-more-tripping-in-the-new-smash-bros-513187770)

Gameplay will be in-between Melee and Brawl's physics (http://kotaku.com/the-next-smash-bros-will-balance-casual-and-hardcore-513211771)

NO TRIPPING! :D

Well hey, they may not be creative, but they're definitely original.

Super Smash Bros. (for) Wii U
Super Smash Bros. (four) Wii U ;)

I was hoping for Kerfuffle, but alas.

Spinosaurus
June 14th, 2013, 06:43 AM
No tripping is seriously the best news lol.

Now let it have hitstun and tone down the defensive options from Brawl and you got yourself a good game.

Pinkie-Dawn
June 14th, 2013, 06:50 PM
I've got into argument with one of my friends from Skype, who is anti-Ridley and believes in the "too big" reason, and no matter how much I counterargued his claims using some of the points Ridley supporters used to counteragrue the "too big" excuse, he's still not convinced. This is what he wrote for us Ridley supporters on why we're fighting for a lost cause:
Look, when you think about it, absolutely nobody playable in the World of Trophies has, as far as I see, been scaled down
Every character, minus Olimar (because they made him so), is proportionate to each other as far as I see it
Each character within a specific series is proportionate to each other as they are in their origin games, I'm sure
The reason Bowser works against Mario's scale is...well, just get to World 1-4 of Super Mario Bros. as Super Mario
And if they ever needed to, the characters were scaled up
I guess it's in the nature of these fictional trophies to be sized accordingly,
but I just have a hard time thinking that such a detailed and intricate Ridley model would be viable to theoretically mass produce to scale of the other fighters
unless the trophies themselves are somewhat large
So I guess that's where I go into my theory about JUST HOW LARGE EACH TROPHY IS
Each Trophy is sized about the same for the purposes of the collection in Brawl, sure
but in real life, would that really be a viable solution?
And if the fighters were always being taken out for play into a playset,
that would probably mean that the playset is either absurdly large (covering an entire bedroom) or the "trophies" are small figures like you would find in gashapon machines
Considering how detailed each character is, it's probably somewhere in between
Or, of course, it might be that you do indeed have space for that large Gerudo Valley playset
...oh, and don't even get me started on to the 3DS
if they manage to fit Ridley as a boss, good
but I don't see him being playable
not when the model would have to be as detailed as that of Pit's in Uprising
And it just wouldn't be worth it due to the small screen
And hey. Sakurai is not known for giving fans what they want 100%
remember why he said he'd be tweeting less?

Are all of our cries for Ridley in Smash Bros. in vain?

Spinosaurus
June 15th, 2013, 01:43 AM
I don't buy this "too big" argument. Sakurai NEVER said Ridley was too big, all he said was that he'd be hard to make a moveset for and be balanced.

Ridley has appeared several times to be comparable to Samus's size without looking awkward.
http://images.wikia.com/metroid/es/images/8/8d/Super_Metroid_boxart.jpg
http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Features/2010/08/Samus%20and%20Ridley/Finished/Metroid01--article_image.jpg
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg12/IsmaR_AZ/SamusvsRidley.jpg

Sakurai adds whoever the hell he wants to add regardless of size or whatever. There's no point in arguing how character X won't be in because Y reasons. We just got Villager (a character that he shot down during Brawl), Mega Man (a character Capcom's been ignoring for the past gen) and Wii Fit Trainer (a character NOBODY expected). This whole idiotic roster analysis thing needs to stop.

Pinkie-Dawn
June 15th, 2013, 10:39 AM
The news still keeps on coming. According to Sakurai, SSB4 will not have a SSE as an Adventure Mode: http://www.themmnetwork.com/2013/06/15/so-how-does-mega-man-figure-into-the-adventure-modes-story-in-super-smash-bros/

From a technical standpoint, this is perhaps a very good idea. SSE, along with other game modes he added, took up most of the GB, which is around 5, in Brawl's dual-layer disc, which is limited to 8GB. The roster only took up about 2GB, so now those extra spaces can be used to increase the roster size for the 3DS version, which holds the same amount of GB as a Wii disc.

TRIFORCE89
July 3rd, 2013, 04:03 PM
Yay! I hated the SSE. Some of the stages that came out of it were pretty fun (I play them in multiplayer using a stage pack hack), but the transitional stages? Guh. Like playing modern Kirby with bad physics

Pinkie-Dawn
July 4th, 2013, 07:25 PM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/03/creating-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-and-3ds

According to page 2 of this article, no one in the roster has been cut yet, and since Sakurai has previously expressed his distaste in character cuts and wanting to include as many characters as possible to the roster, he'll try to axe as little veterans as possible, which means if any veteran character didn't make it in SSB4, it wasn't due to replacement scrappys like how people mistake Lucario as a Mewtwo replacement, but because of time constraint.

darkpokeball
July 7th, 2013, 07:45 AM
WHAT?! NO MORE SSE?!
Boo! I loved that thing(besides the Great Maze level...that was tedious to go through).
Hopefully they'll have a new mode of play that makes up for this.
(I wonder if Score Battle is back...)

Krazzikk
July 7th, 2013, 11:06 PM
I'm glad they're buffing bowser because he was useless in eveyr other game >_>

Pinkie-Dawn
July 8th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Alright, time to make my roster prediction, which will have two versions depending if any circumstances have been fulfilled in the future.

Here's the first version of the roster (if all 35 Brawl characters were to come back):

1st row - Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Marth, Mr. Game & Watch
2nd row - Luigi, Diddy Kong, Zelda, Ridley, Metaknight, Falco, Pokemon Trainer, Roy, Snake
3rd row - Peach, King K. Rool, Ganondorf, Pit, King Dedede, Wolf, Jigglypuff, Ike, Sonic
4th row - Bowser, Wario, Toon Link, Palutena, Villager, Captain Falcon, Mewtwo, Ness, Mega Man
5th row - Yoshi, Little Mac, Olimar, Ice Climbers, Wii Fit Trainer, R.O.B., Lucario, Lucas, Random Button

Here's the second version of the roster (With Toon Link presumably disconfirmed, and assuming Snake and Sonic are one-time deals only):

1st row - Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Marth, Mr. Game & Watch
2nd row - Luigi, Diddy Kong, Zelda, Ridley, Metaknight, Falco, Pokemon Trainer, Roy, R.O.B.
3rd row - Peach, Dixie Kong, Ganondorf, Pit, King Dedede, Wolf, Jigglypuff, Ike, Wii Fit Trainer
4th row - Bowser, King K. Rool, ALBW Link, Palutena, Ice Climbers, Captain Falcon, Mewtwo, Ness, Mega Man
5th row - Yoshi, Wario, Olimar, Little Mac, Villager, Mach Rider, Lucario, Lucas, Random Button

Both rosters include 44 characters on the slots, and including transformations adds up to 48 chracters in total. I have to include the random button, depsite wasting a slot for another misc. character, since it's being included in recent fighting games, which brings me this question to discuss: Does the Random Button need to come back for SSB4?

Epickid
July 8th, 2013, 05:13 PM
I think SSBB was the best. I use Mario a lot and I really kick butt. I will also try to get SSB4 for 3DS.

Rest
July 12th, 2013, 04:38 AM
Well guys, Olimar is back!

http://media.eventhubs.com/images/2013/07/12_olimar05.jpg

Mr. Avocado
July 12th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Ohhhh yes I love Olimar! One of my favorite SSBB characters and his cute Pikmin, glad to see him!

Pinkie-Dawn
July 13th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Well I'm glad that Olimar wasn't replaced by Alph or the other new captains, but notice how he was revealed when Pikmin 3 was soon to be released in Japan. It could mean we'll be getting a character based on a new Nintendo title coming to Japan each month. Here I'll be listing out the games in the next following months of 2013:

August - Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (Can't be Luigi, because he's traditionally a hidden character)
September - Wonderful 101 (The Red Hero may be our next newcomer)
October - Pokemon X & Y (Possibly Pokemon Trainer, since Mewtwo was a hidden character before)
November - Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze (Either Diddy Kong or Dixie Kong)
December - Super Mario 3D World (Peach, since Sakurai seems to have a limit of having each series having up to 3 reps for the starter roster)

Mr. Avocado
July 13th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Haha please Diddy and Dixie Kong! That would be so amazing, I could just imagine. I love her so much, though omg!

Spinosaurus
July 13th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Well, for DK characters, I already got my guy (DK) since day 1.

But I cannot object to Diddy AND Dixie! DKC2 is an amazing game.

Mr. Avocado
July 13th, 2013, 10:27 PM
I'd probably favor Diddy and Dixie over Diddy and Donkey. I mean, yeah Donkey Kong is the main character of the franchise, but I think Dixie would be so much more fun to use!

I would love to see the return of PokeBalls, they were one of my favorite items you could pick up in the game. I just would like a bigger variety of Pokemon that come from PokeBalls.

Miss Doronjo
July 14th, 2013, 02:10 AM
Not sure if you guys have seen this, but:

http://medialib.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/screens/dir_581/image_58113_thumb_wide610.jpg

A stage from Super Mario 3D Land has been confirmed, pretty much. ^^;

Mr. Avocado
July 14th, 2013, 02:15 AM
Doesn't look too bad. I like stages that have a bit more space in them, that one doesn't really have much in it, hopefully one of the simpler stages.

TRIFORCE89
July 14th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Here's the second version of the roster (With Toon Link presumably disconfirmed, and assuming Snake and Sonic are one-time deals only):
I don't think Snake will return, or at the very least I hope he doesn't return. But Sonic? Nintendo has a pretty solid relationship with Sega right now, I think Sonic will return

zeldamariomarth*
July 14th, 2013, 10:57 PM
Fire emblem awakening is awesome. I would like to see MR Sandman from punch out. He would be a big slow beast.

PixelWarrior
July 17th, 2013, 10:50 AM
SSBB has always been one of my favorites. It's one of those games that you can play over and over again, day in day out, and not get tired of. Some of the games that are meant to be that way fail by lacking in other categories, but Brawl is not lacking in any category I'm aware of. Entertaining, but at the same time intense, and always a lot of fun.

SSB4, specifically, is a game I'm really excited for. I absolutely love the fact that Mega Man will be featured in it, as well as the Villager. I usually main Lucas, but those two are both contenders for my new favorite character. On a side note, I genuinely hope they keep Sonic, the reason being it's going to help them acquire more sales. Sonic is a video game icon, along with the likes of Mario, Pikachu, Link, etc. and even though he isn't part of that Nintendo family, he should be a staple in the character choices. Also, it was quite a shock when I saw the Wii Fit Trainer introduced, and not a good shock. I'm curious how they're going to code all of Mega Mans moves to the Wii U and 3DS, because they showed a lot of them in the trailer. I was kind of hoping for something along the lines of Bomberman or Vaati from Zelda.

Mr. Avocado
July 17th, 2013, 12:31 PM
I wouldn't mind the return of the Earthbound characters; Ness and Lucas. They were only good if you could use them properly, and from what I saw, not too many people did. So if they did come back, which I hope they do, I just want them to be a lot more simpler to use and maybe notch a few of their attacks because they weren't the best.

Plus, Lucas shares my name :3

Spinosaurus
July 17th, 2013, 02:09 PM
I use Ness and let me tell you he's not a good character at all, even Lucas.

He's awful in Melee and Brawl and only OK in 64. While he has some high highs (fantastic aerials, projectiles, priority and grab game) everything else is really bad. His recovery is pretty much the worst, his approach is terrible, his grab range is bad (that means his reliable methods to KO are hard to get), his reach is poor and his set of smash attacks are awful. I don't use Lucas enough to know what his flaws is, but I know he pretty much is the opposite of Ness in that his aerials are bad but his smash attacks are incredible, oh and he has bad grabs but his recovery is much better.

I'm seriously hoping he gets buffed in Smash 4. He's been one of the worst characters for a while...

Darkrai Lv.1000
July 17th, 2013, 02:55 PM
I see Ness returning. The original 12 SSB64 fighters, IMO, will never go away.

Honestly, I don't see Lucas returning. Although he is one of my favorites. Same with Ike. He may be replaced by Chrom instead.

As for Snake and Sonic, I see Sonic with the higher chance of reappearing. With all the Sonic games for Nintendo consoles plus the exclusives, he's practically a Nintendo character at this point. xD

Others I'm hoping are playable are Ghirahim (Zelda Skyward Sword), Mewtwo (with his new form), and Shulk (Xenoblade).

th3shark
July 19th, 2013, 06:08 PM
I don't think Snake and Sonic are appearing in SSB4. They were awesome, but Sakuri stated he wants very few 3rd party characters in Smash Bros. Mega Man fits the bill, and that's not considering the possibility of adding Namco-Bandi characters.

I'm also hoping for Ghirahim, Mewtwo, and Shulk to make appearances. Chrom will probably be in too, considering the surprise popularity of Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Shrew
July 19th, 2013, 06:16 PM
I think Sonic will, but I'm uncertain about Snake. When Sakurai stated he wanted few 3rd party characters, is it possible he meant that he didn't want us to raise our hopes for their being any more 3rd party characters than there were already? (So guesses that characters like Knuckles would appear was shot down.)

Mr. Avocado
July 19th, 2013, 09:55 PM
I think Sonic will be there, just for popularity reasons and the fans he has. They won't want anyone complaining about it. But I agree with you about Snake. I think Shulk might make the cut however, I've heard rumors and whatnot surrounding him being in the game so that's a pretty high possibility

bobandbill
July 19th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Shulk would be a nice addition. Xenoblade did get a heck of a lot of recognition (what with Project Rainfall being a success), and they're seemingly taking note in promoting the next 'X' game now.

Mr. Avocado
July 22nd, 2013, 10:45 PM
Xenoblade would be very interesting, in my opinion. I'm generally very happy that Mega Man will be in Smash because I think he'll fit in well but will probably be one of those overused characters. The "attacks" he will use could be predicted pretty easily, he's a familiar face so I don't think there will be too much trouble with using him.

Pinkie-Dawn
July 23rd, 2013, 08:36 AM
I see Ness returning. The original 12 SSB64 fighters, IMO, will never go away.

Honestly, I don't see Lucas returning. Although he is one of my favorites. Same with Ike. He may be replaced by Chrom instead.

As for Snake and Sonic, I see Sonic with the higher chance of reappearing. With all the Sonic games for Nintendo consoles plus the exclusives, he's practically a Nintendo character at this point. xD

Others I'm hoping are playable are Ghirahim (Zelda Skyward Sword), Mewtwo (with his new form), and Shulk (Xenoblade).

I'm also hoping for Ghirahim, Mewtwo, and Shulk to make appearances. Chrom will probably be in too, considering the surprise popularity of Fire Emblem: Awakening.

I have several problems about these suggestions:

- Lucas and Ike first appeared in Smash Bros. as default characters, and based on the fact that all of the default characters from Melee (Bowser, Peach, Zelda, Sheik, and Ice Climbers) made it, then so will Brawl's default characters (Pit, Metaknight, Wario, ZSS, Ike, Pokemon Trainer, Diddy Kong, Lucas, Dedede, Olimar) in this game, as proven by Olimar's return rather than being replaced by Alph, Britney, or Charlie.
- Ghirahim is a one-time Zelda character, which means like Midna, he'll be irrelevant to the series in the next Zelda title. The only reason why Sheik got in was because she's technically Zelda and is used as part of Zelda's play style to make her stand out from the other fighters.
- Just because Chrom is recent doesn't mean he's an automatic shoe-in. This is not the reason why Roy and Ike were chosen in the previous titles (Roy was picked by Sakurai because his fire power made him stood out from Marth, and Ike was suggested by Intelligent System when Sakurai was looking for a new FE rep). Besides, Roy was originally meant to come back in Brawl to co-exist with Marth and Ike.

HaiImNate
July 23rd, 2013, 09:45 AM
Who here still even plays this game? I do, I'm thinking of hosting a tournament on here. I think that it would be fun!

Mr. Avocado
July 23rd, 2013, 09:55 AM
Who here still even plays this game? I do, I'm thinking of hosting a tournament on here. I think that it would be fun!
On the Wii, it is still regarded as quite a popular game. Though for an event I would wait until the new game is released because there would be a better turnout rather than with the current game. Though it would be good to have an event for the Wii version of SSBB a few days before the release of the new one to say goodbye and get ready for the new one when it comes out. :3

HaiImNate
July 23rd, 2013, 10:28 AM
On the Wii, it is still regarded as quite a popular game. Though for an event I would wait until the new game is released because there would be a better turnout rather than with the current game. Though it would be good to have an event for the Wii version of SSBB a few days before the release of the new one to say goodbye and get ready for the new one when it comes out. :3

Ehh, I might host a small tournament like with 8 people or something. When do you think Smash 4 will come out?

Mr. Avocado
July 23rd, 2013, 10:34 AM
Ehh, I might host a small tournament like with 8 people or something. When do you think Smash 4 will come out?
All we know currently is that the release date will be announced in 2014 so there is still a lot of time. If you ask people on the thread if they would be up for it, go ahead. It would be good to discuss with the moderator of VG, Shawn, if you are willing to host an event. I'm sure he would help n.n

On another note, I am really confused as to what attacks Wii Fit Trainer will have as well as her final smash. It's gonna be really weird with her in the game, I don't see her with any special attacks, only physical attacks would be logical...

xxkaylabby
July 23rd, 2013, 11:47 AM
i love ssmb! it sucks though because i have it for the wii, and the disk kept not reading. i've gone through about three ssmb games. i think it's cause i played it too much, or my wii is messed up. xD i always play as a green kirby.

Mr. Avocado
July 23rd, 2013, 11:50 AM
Kirby is my favorite, too! I find Kirby very fun to use and I enjoy the variety of attacks on offer. Same thing happened with my Smash Bros disc u.u will probably go and get another one, considering they're pretty cheap now :)

xxkaylabby
July 23rd, 2013, 11:53 AM
Kirby is my favorite, too! I find Kirby very fun to use and I enjoy the variety of attacks on offer. Same thing happened with my Smash Bros disc u.u will probably go and get another one, considering they're pretty cheap now :)

yeah at my work SSBB is only 29.99 at the moment. grr :P

Oshamaru
July 23rd, 2013, 12:20 PM
Olimar is back...I just wonder how Rock Pikmin and Winged Pikmin will be incorporated. Good thing he wasn't replaced.

Spinosaurus
July 23rd, 2013, 03:08 PM
I personally doubt we'll see Rock and Flying Pikmin since it's Olimar and honestly it's best not to give him MORE options, dude is already SO DAMNED GOOD as he is, no need to make him as good as Meta Knight. :P

Imagine if Rock Pikmin was as rare as a stitch face but also acted like one? Olimar would be more overpowered than MK.
i love ssmb! it sucks though because i have it for the wii, and the disk kept not reading. i've gone through about three ssmb games. i think it's cause i played it too much, or my wii is messed up. xD i always play as a green kirby.
Is it the Wii that can't play the game? And did it the game ever work on your Wii? Because your Wii might not be able to read dual-layered discs, like Brawl, and need a new a Wii.

And honestly I must be the only person in the world who can't play as Kirby. His playstyle is so boring, even worse than Meta Knight. (lol)

Dansparce
July 23rd, 2013, 03:26 PM
On another note, I am really confused as to what attacks Wii Fit Trainer will have as well as her final smash. It's gonna be really weird with her in the game, I don't see her with any special attacks, only physical attacks would be logical...

Her final smash has already been shown. Its waves of workout routine flying at the opponents, sort of like Mario's Final smash. As for special attacks, would throwing a wii balance board work?

xxkaylabby
July 23rd, 2013, 03:33 PM
I personally doubt we'll see Rock and Flying Pikmin since it's Olimar and honestly it's best not to give him MORE options, dude is already SO DAMNED GOOD as he is, no need to make him as good as Meta Knight. :P

Imagine if Rock Pikmin was as rare as a stitch face but also acted like one? Olimar would be more overpowered than MK.

Is it the Wii that can't play the game? And did it the game ever work on your Wii? Because your Wii might not be able to read dual-layered discs, like Brawl, and need a new a Wii.

And honestly I must be the only person in the world who can't play as Kirby. His playstyle is so boring, even worse than Meta Knight. (lol)

yeah the wii wouldnt play it lol. it's okay it's been working now lately

Spinosaurus
July 23rd, 2013, 03:57 PM
Does Wii Fit Trainer really need a projectile though? Not all character needs projectiles as long as they have good reach and are mobile, like Wii Fit Trainer.

A lot of characters don't even have a projectile actually, even Brawl's best character doesn't have one.

xxkaylabby
July 23rd, 2013, 04:08 PM
i don't like how the wii fit girl is in brawl. i like the villager though.

Oshamaru
July 23rd, 2013, 05:57 PM

No you're not. I tried using him before and, yeah, he was pretty boring...

Mr. Avocado
July 23rd, 2013, 09:58 PM
A lot of characters don't even have a projectile actually, even Brawl's best character doesn't have one.
What, MK? :3

I don't really enjoy characters such as Wii Fit Trainer and Villager when you have characters such as Bowser and Kirby, it just doesn't feel right. But the game still has to come out so my opinion is still yet to change, but so far it isn't looking good.

Epickid
July 24th, 2013, 10:57 AM
I'm really excited to get the 3DS version because I can play anywhere while enjoying all there is to love about SSB.

Spinosaurus
July 24th, 2013, 11:14 AM
What, MK? :3

You can make a whole article about how broken Meta Knight is.

Priority, speed, power, survivability, range...he's got it it all. He's the only character in the whole series to have a favorable match up against ALL characters bar himself, and it's pretty safe to say he's the most broken fighting game characters second only to Super Turbo Akuma, who was banned in tourney. Speaking of which, MK was also the first character to be banned (albeit only temporarily) in tournaments since ST Akuma.

Logiedan
July 24th, 2013, 09:02 PM
I don't know about everyone else, but by the looks of it, I'm excited that you can play as Wii Fit Trainer. She looks like she can combo well with air moves and is really mobile.

Dansparce
July 24th, 2013, 09:20 PM
I don't know about everyone else, but by the looks of it, I'm excited that you can play as Wii Fit Trainer. She looks like she can combo well with air moves and is really mobile.

I like Wii Fit Trainer's inclusion as well. Like you said, she looks like she can combo extremely well in the air. And unless the gallery on the official site for SSB for Wii U is manipulated to look that way, It looks like she'll have a special which forces the opponent to do a work out routine or something of the sorts.

It was absolutely hilarious when she was first announced.

Mr. Avocado
July 24th, 2013, 10:43 PM
I did give out a chuckle when I saw that she was going to be in the game.

Yeah, she already has some clear advantages and disadvantages without completely knowing what the character can do. As Logie pointed out, she looks like she can combo well with air moves, and I know this has already been said and repeated, but I completely agree with it.

Krazzikk
July 25th, 2013, 02:51 AM
Name: lucari0Main23438285747279
Map: Steel Pillawr
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2008/02/stage29_080229i-ldjupdt-main99.jpg

So how exactly do you guys think meta knight will get nerfed if at all?

Spinosaurus
July 25th, 2013, 05:44 AM
How the hell can you figure out ANYTHING about Wii Fit Trainer when all we briefly saw were her smash attacks, dash attack, a mysterious soccer ball projectile from a random picture, up special and final smash. O_o And air juggler? We don't even know any of her air moves, or if Smash 4 has Brawl's hitstun and knockback scaling. (which means combos and juggles are a big no-no.)

The best thing I can figure out is that she's mobile (fast dash and long reaching double jump) and has good reach. (unless Sakurai screws the hitbox somehow.)

Start by nerfing anything, or at least give him frame disadvantages and end lags in his moves. Also nerf shuffle loop and tornado, please. At least make them punishable. Oh, and nerf his knockback power.

Pinkie-Dawn
July 25th, 2013, 06:34 AM
http://mynintendonews.com/2013/07/25/sakurai-explains-why-you-wont-see-fighting-characters-in-super-smash-bros/

I'm not sure if this disconfirms Little Mac, since Punch Out!! isn't technically a fighting game, but it's safe to say that Sukapon will once again be left out of the character suggestions.

reshilegend
July 25th, 2013, 06:53 AM
http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/super-smash-bros-next/8/85/Fopitdaily.jpg
An image of Fox and Pit on an unknown Kid Icarus stage for the 3DS. The Miiverse post confirming this stage states, "Viridi, Goddess of Nature, is about to obliterate the humans as they battle, driven by greed." This stage is inspired by Chapter 12 of Kid Icarus: Uprising, entitled "Viridi, the Goddess of Nature."

That's an impressive 3DS screenshot. Good to see that they're focussing on making both versions visually appealing.

Miss Doronjo
July 26th, 2013, 04:36 AM
Here's another thing; apparently there's a new Impact-Launch move effect:

http://sickr.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/super-smash-impact-launch.jpg?w=604&h=339

According to Sakurai’s Miiverse post, the move has been powered up and the characters’ colour will show which player gets the points in the event of a knockout. T

Slash Beast ∞
July 26th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Name: lucari0Main23438285747279
Map: Steel Pillawr
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2008/02/stage29_080229i-ldjupdt-main99.jpg

He won't get nerfed. Everyone else will just get buffed and leave him alone.

Man, if only we had like, the Project M guys helping out all the time.

You can make a whole article about how broken Meta Knight is.

Priority, speed, power, survivability, range...he's got it it all. He's the only character in the whole series to have a favorable match up against ALL characters bar himself, and it's pretty safe to say he's the most broken fighting game characters second only to Super Turbo Akuma, who was banned in tourney. Speaking of which, MK was also the first character to be banned (albeit only temporarily) in tournaments since ST Akuma.

Pikachu has a Neutral matchup, albeit...still a sucky one.

Spinosaurus
July 26th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Man Project M would have been much better if they didn't start changing movesets for whatever reason.

Bowser getting super armor? Cool. Ganondorf back to his Melee prime? Cool. Wario having a completely different moveset? Not cool, even from a Wario Land fan. Honestly there were no reason to change any character's move other than fan service to me. Bowser getting Koopa Klaw back? OK, I could get behind this seeing as he had it in Melee, but I'd much have rather they just balanced his Body Slam. Also was there ANY reason to completely change Snake's up and forward tilt? Why not just change the hitbox and properties so they're not broken anymore?

I'm also not a fan of PT Pokemon getting their own down B and being separate. Why not just remove stamina, forced switch and elemental weakness, and THEN balance the Pokemon but keep them together as one character. People's problem with PT isn't the fact the Pokemon aren't separate character, it's the aforementioned problems. If there's one thing Reflex taught me, it's that PT was functioned to use the three Pokemon together to have a variety of options. They pretty much got rid of that.

I'd have much preferred if Project M was a rebalanced mod with Melee mechanics, but the moveset changes really turned me off (and the fact there aren't any PAL release >:( ), especially as a Wario and Snake main.

Pikachu has a Neutral matchup, albeit...still a sucky one.
Yeah sorry, I mixed up, 64 Pikachu was the one with all favorable match up. :P Except 64 Pika wasn't broken.

Slash Beast ∞
July 26th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Man Project M would have been much better if they didn't start changing movesets for whatever reason.
I'm also not a fan of PT Pokemon getting their own down B and being separate. Why not just remove stamina, forced switch and elemental weakness, and THEN balance the Pokemon but keep them together as one character.

As someone who mains PT, take it from me, having to consistently switch sucks, because the only appropriate times to even warrant a switch is after a KO, or of course, when you get KOed. But I will agree somewhat with keeping them as one character. Brawl Minus did it very well, but on the same note, the pokes getting a new down B is alright for me, because...well, you can focus on being versatile with one specific poke, rather than having to learn three different characters entirely. It's a double edged sword.

People's problem with PT isn't the fact the Pokemon aren't separate character, it's the aforementioned problems. If there's one thing Reflex taught me, it's that PT was functioned to use the three Pokemon together to have a variety of options. They pretty much got rid of that.

Well, again, this goes back to whole switching mechanic. Granted, if you look at it, if you take out all those mechanics, and still allow someone to switch, the person who you're playing has to deal with 3 separate characters in ONE match. That's not fair, even if we look at the entire "WELL MK IS BUSTED" thing. That's partially the reason the whole stamina and elemental weakness mechanic was a part of their characters. Having to deal with 3 separate characters who DON'T have any mechanics keeping them at bay? Iunno. But this is just my FGC logic talking, so.

Logiedan
July 27th, 2013, 11:34 PM
Actually we've already seen a good bit of her air moves including her down-air (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQD1yJinzeQ&t=424); from what is released, I'm guessing we already know the up-air (http://www.ssbwiki.com/images/5/5d/WiiFitTrainerUpAir.gif), forward-air (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBoL1Ic9uWw&t=34) and down-air. And like I said before, she looks very mobile and her smashes and ground attacks look very swift with fast animation. Maybe not a good air combo-er but a good air juggler and general combo-er.

Pinkie-Dawn
July 30th, 2013, 10:04 AM
A lot of people on youtube such as this guy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py8NeZe1BNM) are upset about story mode's removal for SSB4, thinking it'll hurt not only the game's sales, but also the Wii U's sales. Since when was Smash Bros. ever about the story, especially how not many people liked SSE in Brawl due to how tedious it is to beat. Plus, no story mode saves a lot of time and space for the game's development to focus on character balance, online features, and creative modes.

monks1692
August 3rd, 2013, 07:38 AM
My roommates always beat me so bad at this game.

Darkrai Lv.1000
August 3rd, 2013, 01:15 PM
A lot of people on youtube such as this guy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py8NeZe1BNM) are upset about story mode's removal for SSB4, thinking it'll hurt not only the game's sales, but also the Wii U's sales. Since when was Smash Bros. ever about the story, especially how not many people liked SSE in Brawl due to how tedious it is to beat. Plus, no story mode saves a lot of time and space for the game's development to focus on character balance, online features, and creative modes.

Yeah, I'm just fine with story mode being removed, as cool as it was. Like you said, more space for things that really matter. Besides, if anything, I'm sure we'll still get Classic Mode and maybe an Adventure Mode like the one from Melee. In fact, I think that area in the trailer where Mario jumped from the 3DS version of the game to the Wii U version (with the platforms and rotating ferris wheel-like structure) was from that Adventure Mode .

Either way, not sure if I posted this here yet, but here are some of my character predictions:

The original 12 from SSB64 aren't going anywhere, as per usual
Ike will be replaced by Chrom from FE: Awakening
Mewtwo will return as playable, complete with his new form, possibly replacing Lucario
Pokemon Trainer may not return either, instead being replaced by another Pokemon from Gen 6
Snake won't return, but Sonic has a high chance of returning, especially with his exclusives and Lost World on the way. He's practically a Nintendo character right now. xD
Dixie will be playable to promote DKC: Tropical Freeze.
R.O.B. probably won't return (even though I liked using him)
Shulk from Xenoblade will be playable
Toon Link may return due to Wind Waker HD, but if not, he'll be replaced by Ghirahim from Skyward Sword
Ghirahim will be playable regardless (this is pretty much my only wish with this game :P )
Demise will make an appearance somewhere if Ghirahim is in, most likely an Assist Trophy if those come back
Reggie will be playable (please Sakurai?? xD )

I guess that's all I can think of at the moment.

Pinkie-Dawn
August 3rd, 2013, 02:30 PM
The original 12 from SSB64 aren't going anywhere, as per usual

No duh. :P

Ike will be replaced by Chrom from FE: Awakening

Why can't they co-exist? Sakurai has already expressed his hate on cutting characters. Roy was originally meant to co-exist with Ike in Brawl, but he, along with Mewtwo, was cut due to Sonic's late entry.

Mewtwo will return as playable, complete with his new form, possibly replacing Lucario

Again, like Ike and Roy, Mewtwo and Lucario were originally going to co-exist in Brawl (have you ever lurked into Smashboards?). The only characters who aren't safe by default are the third-parties.

Pokemon Trainer may not return either, instead being replaced by another Pokemon from Gen 6

The Pokemon Trainer we have now is way too iconic to be replaced, and Mewtwo's return will already represent Gen 6 because of its new forme.

Snake won't return, but Sonic has a high chance of returning, especially with his exclusives and Lost World on the way. He's practically a Nintendo character right now. xD

But there's a thing about guest characters in fighting games making only one appearance and never come back in the next installment.

Dixie will be playable to promote DKC: Tropical Freeze.

While she was originally meant to appear in Brawl as part of a tag team with Diddy Kong, King K. Rool has higher priority due to the many fan requests.

R.O.B. probably won't return (even though I liked using him)

Mr. Game & Watch wasn't removed in Brawl, so what makes you think R.O.B. will be removed?

Shulk from Xenoblade will be playable

He has a lot of requests from fans at Japan, so his chances are high.

Toon Link may return due to Wind Waker HD, but if not, he'll be replaced by Ghirahim from Skyward Sword

No, that will be Classic Link from ALttP, Link's Awakening, OoA/OoS, and ALBW.

Ghirahim will be playable regardless (this is pretty much my only wish with this game :P )

Except he's a one-time Zelda character, who aren't allowed to be playable. What makes you think Midna and Zant weren't playable back in Brawl? He's better off as an assist trophy.

Demise will make an appearance somewhere if Ghirahim is in, most likely an Assist Trophy if those come back

See my response on Ghirahim.

Reggie will be playable (please Sakurai?? xD )

Reggie himself said in a interview that will all be based on Sakurai's decision, so he asks Reggie to add him in Smash, then his body is ready.

Darkrai Lv.1000
August 5th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Why can't they co-exist? Sakurai has already expressed his hate on cutting characters. Roy was originally meant to co-exist with Ike in Brawl, but he, along with Mewtwo, was cut due to Sonic's late entry.
I never knew they didn't make it because of Sonic. I mean, I knew about the hidden files of the cut Melee characters, but I didn't know Sonic's appearance caused them all to be cut. :/

Again, like Ike and Roy, Mewtwo and Lucario were originally going to co-exist in Brawl (have you ever lurked into Smashboards?). The only characters who aren't safe by default are the third-parties.
I actually haven't been on Smashboards in about a year. I think I have to go back now. xD

The Pokemon Trainer we have now is way too iconic to be replaced, and Mewtwo's return will already represent Gen 6 because of its new forme.
I guess so. Maybe PT will have other Pokemon to play as? xD

But there's a thing about guest characters in fighting games making only one appearance and never come back in the next installment.
Yeah, that's true. I thought Sonic would come back with moves from the new games. If he does or doesn't, it's fine with me, provided he doesn't cause the cutting of more characters. :P

While she was originally meant to appear in Brawl as part of a tag team with Diddy Kong, King K. Rool has higher priority due to the many fan requests.
I knew there was one character I forgot on my list! xD
I hope he makes it in as well.

Mr. Game & Watch wasn't removed in Brawl, so what makes you think R.O.B. will be removed?
I only said that because I've noticed that many people don't really like him, though I don't know why. He's a pretty good character if you use him right.

No, that will be Classic Link from ALttP, Link's Awakening, OoA/OoS, and ALBW.
Oh, that makes sense. How did I not think of him? And A Link to the Past is one of my all time favorite games. xD

Except he's a one-time Zelda character, who aren't allowed to be playable. What makes you think Midna and Zant weren't playable back in Brawl? He's better off as an assist trophy.
T_T

Reggie himself said in a interview that will all be based on Sakurai's decision, so he asks Reggie to add him in Smash, then his body is ready.
I saw that interview, which made me put that down. How awesome would it be though?

Nuke
August 5th, 2013, 02:49 PM
If they did remove Pokémon Trainer, it would be nice if he was replaced by N with Reshiram & Zekrom as the pokemon switching instead of the Kanto starters. Obviously B&W will probably be majorly forgotten about since this will come out after X&Y which is a shame since there wasn't a SSB game at an appropriate time for it.

Having recently bought FE:Awakening, I would be very happy to see Chrom on the roster.

Zero°
August 6th, 2013, 03:05 AM
I really disliked brawl in terms of gameplay mechanics, Melee was much better in my opinion which is why I play Project: M. I hope that SSB4 is more like Melee or else I probably won't get it. I do hope they add Chrom to the roster as well, which I'm sure they will since he's the newest FE protagonist. Reggie shouldn't be added to SSB4, as funny and cool as that would be it's gonna get really old quick. I'd rather just have Wii Fit instructor have a "my body is ready" taunt. I would really like for them to keep Lucas in the game since he was my brawl main but the only reason he was put in brawl was so EarthBound fans could use him since Mother 3 was never released in America. If they do remove him then I'll just main Toon Link or MegaMan.

Pinkie-Dawn
August 6th, 2013, 12:45 PM
So guys, a new stage is revealed on the website today, and it's our first retro stage. It's apparently based on the SNES installment of Pilotwings. So, Pilotwings rep confirmed?

Darkrai Lv.1000
August 6th, 2013, 02:41 PM
So guys, a new stage is revealed on the website today, and it's our first retro stage. It's apparently based on the SNES installment of Pilotwings. So, Pilotwings rep confirmed?

I just took a look at that before coming here. Until I read your post, I had no idea what stage that was, as I've never played Pilotwings. xD

Miss Doronjo
August 7th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Luigi's confirmed for Smash Bros.! Although, it was probably as expected:

http://www.gonintendo.com/content/uploads/_thumbs/Images/2013_8/luig.png

Pinkie-Dawn
August 7th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Luigi's confirmed for Smash Bros.! Although, it was probably as expected:

http://www.gonintendo.com/content/uploads/_thumbs/Images/2013_8/luig.png
There's even an update to Weegee's profile on the website: http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/luigi.html

I'm shocked to see Sakurai reveal him this early before the game's release, due to his history of being an unlockable character, as well as a semi-clone of Mario, who are traditionally unlockable.

Darkrai Lv.1000
August 7th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Yeah, I didn't expect Luigi this early, though it's acceptable because we already know he'd have been included anyway. xD
Unlockable characters are usually revealed much later though. Maybe he won't be unlockable this time?

Pinkie-Dawn
August 9th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Now that it's confirmed that Lucario is getting a new forme like Mewtwo, and both are under the Mega Evolution category, I think it's safe to assume that speculators will drop the idea of Lucario getting axed in SSB4 for Mewtwo's return, and both can co-exist in the roster together, like it was originally planned in Brawl, and use their Mega Evolutions as their final smash, replacing Lucario's Aura Storm.

Zero°
August 9th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Arena Ferox is a Smash Bros. 3DS stage.
http://i.imgur.com/A7dYuka.jpg

Since this is the case, I think it's safe to assume that Chrom or Lucina will make an appearance in this game, replacing Ike more than likely.

Pinkie-Dawn
August 9th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Arena Ferox is a Smash Bros. 3DS stage.
http://i.imgur.com/A7dYuka.jpg

Since this is the case, I think it's safe to assume that Chrom or Lucina will make an appearance in this game, replacing Ike more than likely.
Brawl had the Bridge of Eldin and Frigate Orpheon, yet neither Midna, Zant, nor Dark Samus appeared in Brawl's roster, so what makes you think Chrom/Lucina will be in the roster? Just because we have a stage from a recent installment doesn't automatically mean we'll get a character from that installment. We could be getting Marth, Roy, and Ike in their Awakening outfits instead.

Zero°
August 11th, 2013, 03:26 PM
They replaced Mewtwo with Lucario so why not? I still feel like adding Chrom or Lucina would be a pretty good thing, regardless if they replace one of the characters from the past FE games. I was just putting out what I thought would most likely be the case, no need to sound so harsh bro.

Anyway I just saw a video of Sakurai playing Smash 4 with a gamecube-like controller, which makes me very happy because it would've been hard to play competitively with a Wii-U controller. I'm also glad Sakurai decided not to add trippings because that was just stupid lol. Hopefully this game will be as fast paced as Melee.

Pinkie-Dawn
August 11th, 2013, 04:49 PM
They replaced Mewtwo with Lucario so why not? I still feel like adding Chrom or Lucina would be a pretty good thing, regardless if they replace one of the characters from the past FE games. I was just putting out what I thought would most likely be the case, no need to sound so harsh bro.
If you read my previous post, you learn that Mewtwo wasn't replaced by Lucario, because they were originally planned to coexist in the Brawl roster just like there was originally going to be 3 Fire Emblem reps with Roy's return. Chrom or Lucina can't be in SSB4 by themselves due to having their niches done by Ike and Marth respectively, so the only logical way for them differentiate from them is to pair them up together, just like in Awakening, but they face competition with Roy, who is requested by Japanese fans to come back along with Mewtwo, as well as 3DS limitations on duo teams that Sakurai has revealed. Plus, Sakurai expressed his dislike on cutting characters.

Zero°
August 11th, 2013, 05:06 PM
That's if the roster is limited in SSB4, which I hope it isn't, the more characters the more fun it'll be. Since Sakurai doesn't like cutting off characters then I'm pretty sure there will be a return of Melee and Brawl characters. I didn't know Mewtwo was supposed to be in Brawl actually, I knew about Roy though xD But since neither of them were added idc but it would be nice for them to return. I sincerely hope they keep Lucas(doubt it) and Toon Link, or at least a "young link" clone, in the new game's roster because those are my current mains for Project M/Brawl. I'm not so worried about anyone else, I'll just wait and see when I get the game myself.

Apple Juice
August 13th, 2013, 06:14 PM
I can't wait for SSB4! All the previous versions of this series were big hits for me and the rest of the gaming world, and I'm positive this one will be no different. To add a quick summary of my opinions from the other leaks from earlier in the thread, I can't wait to knock people out with Villager, and adding Sonic was a great move on their part. The fitness trainer is a unique call, and I'm going to wait to the game's release before I judge too harshly, but it could be a success or a bust. One character doesn't make or break a game, fortunately for them, and so I excitingly await this game. :]

As for the most recent information, I agree that the cast shouldn't be limited, as the way the game is played, adding more characters won't hinder any aspect of it, and so why not?

Darkrai Lv.1000
August 14th, 2013, 01:30 PM
I can't wait for SSB4! All the previous versions of this series were big hits for me and the rest of the gaming world, and I'm positive this one will be no different. To add a quick summary of my opinions from the other leaks from earlier in the thread, I can't wait to knock people out with Villager, and adding Sonic was a great move on their part. The fitness trainer is a unique call, and I'm going to wait to the game's release before I judge too harshly, but it could be a success or a bust. One character doesn't make or break a game, fortunately for them, and so I excitingly await this game. :]

As for the most recent information, I agree that the cast shouldn't be limited, as the way the game is played, adding more characters won't hinder any aspect of it, and so why not?

We don't know if Sonic is back yet. :P

ShinyPikachu2000
August 17th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Has anyone had ever played the Japanese version of Super Smash Bros? I heard that the Japenese version had some differences that were even removed or changed in the American version. Can anyone tell me what those differences are? I really would like to play it to see if its good or bad.

Darkrai Lv.1000
August 17th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Has anyone had ever played the Japanese version of Super Smash Bros? I heard that the Japenese version had some differences that were even removed or changed in the American version. Can anyone tell me what those differences are? I really would like to play it to see if its good or bad.

The only ones I really know of is that they all retain the "GAME SET" from the original and that Mewtwo talked in his victory poses in Melee.
LaqfC8KDKEs

RollsOfSushi
August 17th, 2013, 09:44 AM
I can't wait to get this game for the 3DS... Pokemon and this game, they are the only reasons I am keeping the handheld device.

ShinyPikachu2000
August 17th, 2013, 09:48 AM
The only ones I really know of is that it retains the "GAME SET" from the original and that Mewtwo talked in his victory poses in Melee.
LaqfC8KDKEs

I was actually talking about The original N64 version of SSB. My mistake for not mentioning the N64 version.

Apple Juice
August 17th, 2013, 10:24 AM
We don't know if Sonic is back yet. :P

Hmm, I must've been given some faulty information. It would be pretty out of the ordinary for them to leave Sonic out. He's such an iconic character, I would honestly be appalled if they decided to take him out. I'm sure there's another character that they could take out to keep the blue hedgehog in.

Sir Servine
August 18th, 2013, 05:40 AM
I think the Pokemon Trainer is going to return, but with a different set of starters. It'd most likely be Gen 5 or 6. :o

Pinkie-Dawn
August 18th, 2013, 06:11 AM
I think the Pokemon Trainer is going to return, but with a different set of starters. It'd most likely be Gen 5 or 6. :o
As much as I like to see that happen, it won't because the Kanto starters are too iconic to be replaced along with the lack of le sneaky pebbles in Smash Bros. to hurt Charizard.

Radiam
August 18th, 2013, 05:56 PM
I don't think that Pokemon Trainer will return. It will probably be a Pokemon that can change into another form, to act as another Pokemon.

Ex. Mewtwo could return and turn into MegaMewtwo and Lucario could return and turn into MegaLucario. I brought them up because they're very popular and they were in previous Smash Bros games.

Miss Doronjo
August 20th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Metroid Other M stage confirmed!

http://sickr.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/super_smash_bros_metroid_stage.jpg?w=604&h=339

But on the verge of metroid characters, I'm not sure if there's anyone that can be qualified other than Samus.

Darkrai Lv.1000
August 20th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Metroid Other M stage confirmed!

http://sickr.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/super_smash_bros_metroid_stage.jpg?w=604&h=339

But on the verge of metroid characters, I'm not sure if there's anyone that can be qualified other than Samus.

Yeah, that's the Geothermal Power Plant where you fought Ridley! Awesome! After seeing this stage in Dead or Alive Dimensions, I was hoping it would be a stage in the next Smash Bros! Maybe Ridley will appear as a stage hazard like in that game as well. xD

Pinkie-Dawn
August 20th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Yeah, that's the Geothermal Power Plant where you fought Ridley! Awesome! After seeing this stage in Dead or Alive Dimensions, I was hoping it would be a stage in the next Smash Bros! Maybe Ridley will appear as a stage hazard like in that game as well. xD

Ridley's legion of space pirates would have to disagree with you.

The way Sakurai describes this stage is definitely trolling Ridley's role in SSB4 for the fans.

Dragon
September 10th, 2013, 05:53 AM
In SSBB4 news:

http://sickr.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/super_mario_galaxy_ssb_stage.jpg?w=604&h=339

Poooosibly a Galaxy stage or something. Maybe super Mario galaxy. Also hooray for Kirby's hammer!
I'm probably gonna play as Kirby more. :3

Darkrai Lv.1000
September 10th, 2013, 01:46 PM
In SSBB4 news:

http://sickr.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/super_mario_galaxy_ssb_stage.jpg?w=604&h=339

Poooosibly a Galaxy stage or something. Maybe super Mario galaxy. Also hooray for Kirby's hammer!
I'm probably gonna play as Kirby more. :3

it could also be Rainbow Road.

Endless
September 10th, 2013, 04:34 PM
I don't think that's Rainbow Road. If it was, then the background would've been completely black. It would have had some small, white stars as well. We may get a Rainbow Road stage in one of the future SSB games, but we're not going to get one in this game, most likely.

Anyway, that picture kind of reminds me of the place where you've fought Demise in Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. xD It could be either that, or it could be a place from Super Mario Galaxy.

Pinkie-Dawn
September 10th, 2013, 06:08 PM
There's a rumor I found on 4chan saying that this week on Wednesday or Thursday, there will be a Nintendo Direct with a new SSB4 trailer featuring Zero Suit Samus, Pokemon Trainer, and Peach as our returning veterans and Wonder Red as our newcomer. The trailer will also show N's Castle from the 3DS version and Honeyhive Galaxy from the Wii U version. The rumor was posted this Monday, but I would take it with a grain of salt since tomorrow is Wednesday and Nintendo hasn't announced a Direct yet.

UltraNerdtendo64
September 11th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Ah, Smash Bros.! I can say my 2nd favourite game outside of the RPG Genre. I hope to see a Clock Town stage in the new one because Majora's Mask is my favourite game in the Zelda stage. Can't wait to use Megaman though because he is just so awesome and is my favourite platformer!
My favourite in the series is Super Smash Bros. Brawl because I really love the Stage Builder! I don't know why, that's just me. :)

Rest
September 11th, 2013, 11:22 PM
So I've been playing Drill Dozer non-stop for the past few days. Now I'm hoping Jill makes the cut (it's a long-shot, but one can dream, right?).

There's a rumor I found on 4chan saying that this week on Wednesday or Thursday, there will be a Nintendo Direct with a new SSB4 trailer featuring Zero Suit Samus, Pokemon Trainer, and Peach as our returning veterans and Wonder Red as our newcomer. The trailer will also show N's Castle from the 3DS version and Honeyhive Galaxy from the Wii U version. The rumor was posted this Monday, but I would take it with a grain of salt since tomorrow is Wednesday and Nintendo hasn't announced a Direct yet.

Eh, we'll see. Just a few weeks ago, a rumor on 4chan was going around saying that ZSS was going to be announced around late August. Of course, that didn't happen at all.

EDIT:

AAAANNNDDD Peach is announced.

http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/peach.html

http://www.smashbros.com/images/character/peach/screen-5.jpg

Slayr231
September 12th, 2013, 02:46 AM
I love SSB! It's a great party game and I'm looking forward to all the new characters and stages. Maybe there will be a character I can kick butt with. All I'm saying is that, you know you aren't very good when your best character is Bowser. XD

Dragon
September 12th, 2013, 04:31 AM
Yeah, it looks like Peach has slightly altered attacks from Super Smash Bros Brawl, uuut no surprise that she made it in SSBB4!

I'm wondering guys - for those of you who want to get SSBB4, are you going to get it for the 3DS, or for the Wii U?

Rest
September 12th, 2013, 04:47 AM
Yeah, it looks like Peach has slightly altered attacks from Super Smash Bros Brawl, uuut no surprise that she made it in SSBB4!

I'm wondering guys - for those of you who want to get SSBB4, are you going to get it for the 3DS, or for the Wii U?

I'm not planning to get a Wii U anytime soon, and it would take a LOT more than just SSB4 for me to even consider it. I'm getting it for the 3DS, definitely.

Pinkie-Dawn
September 12th, 2013, 05:52 AM
http://www.smashbros.com/images/character/peach/screen-7.jpg

I guess this pretty much disconfirms Toad as a playable character, as well as possibly any new Mario rep due to the series already being complete with the most iconic characters (Waluigi and Bowser Jr. don't have enough star power to be in the same ranks as the big 4, and Paper Mario would only create a time paradox within the Mario universe like Dr. Mario since they both take place in the same universe).

Dragon
September 26th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Toon Link is officially confirmed!

http://www.smashbros.com/images/character/toon_link/screen-4.jpg

http://www.smashbros.com/images/character/toon_link/screen-5.jpg

Pinkie-Dawn
September 26th, 2013, 05:53 AM
Everyone thought Toon Link was going to get axed because of his appearance as a background character in the Spirit Tracks stage, even though that's not the same Toon Link. Good thing this confirmation has put all of this worry to rest, though I'm quite surprised that Sakurai has revealed a traditionally hidden character before the game's release for a second time. This proves two things: 1) Sakurai still believes having two versions of Link, an adult and a child, in the roster is important, and 2) Sakurai enjoys messing with patterns we found (we thought Sakurai would only reveal one character per month).

Darkrai Lv.1000
September 26th, 2013, 01:21 PM
I knew Toon Link would be back, especially with Wind Waker HD. I suppose this kills any hope anyone had for a "Classic Link".

I already planned to get the 3DS version. But now that I finally bought a Wii U (WWHD Bundle!! :D ), I may get both if the differences are large enough.
Eh, who am I kidding? I'm getting both regardless.

Everyone thought Toon Link was going to get axed because of his appearance as a background character in the Spirit Tracks stage, even though that's not the same Toon Link. Good thing this confirmation has put all of this worry to rest, though I'm quite surprised that Sakurai has revealed a traditionally hidden character before the game's release for a second time. This proves two things: 1) Sakurai still believes having two versions of Link, an adult and a child, in the roster is important, and 2) Sakurai enjoys messing with patterns we found (we thought Sakurai would only reveal one character per month).

What if they aren't hidden this time? xD

bobandbill
September 27th, 2013, 12:07 AM
This proves two things: 1) Sakurai still believes having two versions of Link, an adult and a child, in the roster is important, and 2) Sakurai enjoys messing with patterns we found (we thought Sakurai would only reveal one character per month).Such is the follow of trying to fit a pattern to a small sample. The game was only announced some months ago after all.

There is a 'stronger' pattern though, to be said, but a clearer one - some of the reveals have clearly tied to releases for the franchise. Olimar for Pikmin, for instance, Toon Link for the Wind Waker HD release... so if people want to speculate, Pokémon's coming up soon, Sonic has a chance near the end of October, and there's the ALttP sequel after that too.

Zero°
September 27th, 2013, 12:21 AM
Tink is still in omg yes <3 I was worried I was gonna have to drop my mains (Lucas and Tink) but at least I have one of them.

And I'll probably be getting SSB4 on Wii U since I'm sure 90% of the competitive community will be on the Wii U

Endless
September 27th, 2013, 12:40 AM
By standing next to Peach in the first picture, Link immediately fooled me into thinking that she was actually Princess Zelda. xD Is Zelda going to be in the game, anyway? If she is, then that's awesome! I loved using her in Melee and Brawl. I hope they use the same Zelda from Skyward Sword, because in my opinion, that was the best-looking design that Zelda ever had. If she is not going to be in SSB, then are they at least planning to include her in some capacity, maybe as some sort of a DLC character? Also, how about Ganon, the arch-nemesis of Link and Zelda? Are they going to have him in the game as well?

bobandbill
September 27th, 2013, 01:08 AM
By standing next to Peach in the first picture, Link immediately fooled me into thinking that she was actually Princess Zelda. xD Is Zelda going to be in the game, anyway? If she is, then that's awesome! I loved using her in Melee and Brawl. I hope they use the same Zelda from Skyward Sword, because in my opinion, that was the best-looking design that Zelda ever had. If she is not going to be in SSB, then are they at least planning to include her in some capacity, maybe as some sort of a DLC character? Also, how about Ganon, the arch-nemesis of Link and Zelda? Are they going to have him in the game as well?
She's not yet been confirmed, but I think it's nigh a given that she will be revealed sooner or later. (As said above, maybe the timing of the LoZ game on the 3DS will suit hers, or Ganon's, reveal). They're staple and iconic characters, much like Bowser and Peach are, I'd say.

I don't think DLC is something they're initially or currently planning for? At least, that's from vague memory from an article.

Pinkie-Dawn
September 27th, 2013, 05:46 AM
Such is the follow of trying to fit a pattern to a small sample. The game was only announced some months ago after all.

There is a 'stronger' pattern though, to be said, but a clearer one - some of the reveals have clearly tied to releases for the franchise. Olimar for Pikmin, for instance, Toon Link for the Wind Waker HD release... so if people want to speculate, Pokémon's coming up soon, Sonic has a chance near the end of October, and there's the ALttP sequel after that too.

But Peach's reveal wasn't tied to current releases from this year; she was revealed on the anniversary release of the first SMB game rather than 3D World.

bobandbill
September 27th, 2013, 06:07 AM
But Peach's reveal wasn't tied to current releases from this year; she was revealed on the anniversary release of the first SMB game rather than 3D World. I'm perfectly aware, which is why I said that one shouldn't rely too much on patterns, and also put 'stronger' pattern in quotation marks. Anniversaries do work too, but then one could draw a whole list of dates significant to a franchise/character and expect them to be revealed then and there. And that's assuming that Sakurai will reveal all of the characters prior to release, which I personally doubt.

Pinkie-Dawn
October 1st, 2013, 04:43 PM
I'm perfectly aware, which is why I said that one shouldn't rely too much on patterns, and also put 'stronger' pattern in quotation marks. Anniversaries do work too, but then one could draw a whole list of dates significant to a franchise/character and expect them to be revealed then and there. And that's assuming that Sakurai will reveal all of the characters prior to release, which I personally doubt.

And now part of that "stronger" pattern was broken by the time Sanic Hedgehog Sonic was revealed 27 days before his game is even out this month (that's a very large gap).

Dragon
October 1st, 2013, 04:47 PM
Speaking of Sonic, yes, he's definately confirmed:

http://www.smashbros.com/images/character/sonic/screen-3.jpg

http://www.smashbros.com/images/character/sonic/screen-1.jpg

Endless
October 1st, 2013, 09:23 PM
I'm glad that they're starting to introduce more non-Nintendo characters. It honestly is a great idea, in my opinion, because this not only gives them a wider range of characters to choose from, but it also gives a little bit of exposure to gaming franchises that are unrelated to Nintendo. Aaanyway... I'm expecting Sonic to be one of the quickest characters in-game. His attacks might turn out not to be very powerful, but due to his agility skills, it should be quite hard to land any hits on him successfully. He may be able to have good jumping skills, too, which would allow him to get to one place from another within just a couple of seconds.

Pinkie-Dawn
October 2nd, 2013, 06:01 AM
I'm glad that they're starting to introduce more non-Nintendo characters. It honestly is a great idea, in my opinion, because this not only gives them a wider range of characters to choose from, but it also gives a little bit of exposure to gaming franchises that are unrelated to Nintendo. Aaanyway... I'm expecting Sonic to be one of the quickest characters in-game. His attacks might turn out not to be very powerful, but due to his agility skills, it should be quite hard to land any hits on him successfully. He may be able to have good jumping skills, too, which would allow him to get to one place from another within just a couple of seconds.

Sonic has already been that type of character since Brawl. Also, having more non-Nintendo characters isn't very much a good idea, because it takes away the main purpose of the Smash Bros. games: playing as Nintendo's biggest all-stars, which is why Sakurai is trying to keep the number of guest characters to a minimum.

Airhead
October 2nd, 2013, 10:29 PM
I've played the the Nintendo 64 version, Melee and Brawl. I liked Brawl the best, my favorite character was Zero Suit Samus and my least favorite was... well, I didn't really have one, haha. xD

The Brawl trailer I watched a few years back said they were introducing Midna. I literally flipped out. I was so excited! Then when we bought the game, no Midna... I moped for several days. I wanted to murder someone at Nintendo. But hey, I put my brave face on and then kicked the wall as hard as I could. I'm hoping they introduce the freaken imp, because she would be so epic! ^^

But now, I hope they introduce Lightning. Imagine using a Gunblade, oh, and the Final Smash can be her summoning Odin! :D

Darkrai Lv.1000
October 3rd, 2013, 12:40 PM
I've played the the Nintendo 64 version, Melee and Brawl. I liked Brawl the best, my favorite character was Zero Suit Samus and my least favorite was... well, I didn't really have one, haha. xD

The Brawl trailer I watched a few years back said they were introducing Midna. I literally flipped out. I was so excited! Then when we bought the game, no Midna... I moped for several days. I wanted to murder someone at Nintendo. But hey, I put my brave face on and then kicked the wall as hard as I could. I'm hoping they introduce the freaken imp, because she would be so epic! ^^

But now, I hope they introduce Lightning. Imagine using a Gunblade, oh, and the Final Smash can be her summoning Odin! :D

Which trailer was that? I never heard of them introducing Midna. xD
About Lightning, as much as I doubt that will ever happen, it would be pretty cool.

I knew Sonic would be back! Take that, Pinkie-Dawn. :P
If the thing about Sonic's late entry in Brawl causing the removal of Roy and Mewtwo is true, then this time they can all co-exist.

About Toon Link, I hope his moveset is altered a little bit more so he's less clone-like compared to Adult Link. Same goes for any other character added that was considered a clone.
I also hope that at least one thing changes about each character that distinguishes them from their previous game counterpart. So far, the only ones who have really received any significant changes are Bowser and Pit.

Pinkie-Dawn
October 3rd, 2013, 01:32 PM
I have a feeling that most of the newcomers will be characters representing their own series as shown with the first three revealed newcomers, because Sakurai commented that Nintendo hasn't made any post-Pikmin IPs with characters who can fit in Smash Bros., and now we have new misc. characters created after Brawl alongside with the Wii Fit Trainer: a Rhythm Heaven rep (Karate Joe, Ringside Wrestler, etc.), Shulk, Aeon, Mallo, Dillon, Wonder Red, and the new IP Miyamoto is working on.

It's because the Smash Bros. developers wouldn't want to waste a slot on a character who would never appear in another game from his/her series of origin again. What makes you think the guys at Smashboards shoot down any suggestions of Majora, Zant, and Ghirahim?

Except Lightning never appeared on any Nintendo system, nor is she as iconic as Cloud, who also doesn't appear in any Nintendo system (not counting the Kingdom Hearts games).

Airhead
October 3rd, 2013, 10:27 PM
Which trailer was that? I never heard of them introducing Midna. xD
About Lightning, as much as I doubt that will ever happen, it would be pretty cool.

I knew Sonic would be back! Take that, Pinkie-Dawn. :P
If the thing about Sonic's late entry in Brawl causing the removal of Roy and Mewtwo is true, then this time they can all co-exist.

About Toon Link, I hope his moveset is altered a little bit more so he's less clone-like compared to Adult Link. Same goes for any other character added that was considered a clone.
I also hope that at least one thing changes about each character that distinguishes them from their previous game counterpart. So far, the only ones who have really received any significant changes are Bowser and Pit.

I remembered watching a trailer in EB Games, man, I was so excited! It made me feel so alive, but then they let me down... oh well, at least Brawl was still a fun, fast and furious game. :D

I have a feeling that most of the newcomers will be characters representing their own series as shown with the first three revealed newcomers, because Sakurai commented that Nintendo hasn't made any post-Pikmin IPs with characters who can fit in Smash Bros., and now we have new misc. characters created after Brawl alongside with the Wii Fit Trainer: a Rhythm Heaven rep (Karate Joe, Ringside Wrestler, etc.), Shulk, Aeon, Mallo, Dillon, Wonder Red, and the new IP Miyamoto is working on.

It's because the Smash Bros. developers wouldn't want to waste a slot on a character who would never appear in another game from his/her series of origin again. What makes you think the guys at Smashboards shoot down any suggestions of Majora, Zant, and Ghirahim?

Except Lightning never appeared on any Nintendo system, nor is she as iconic as Cloud, who also doesn't appear in any Nintendo system (not counting the Kingdom Hearts games).

I know, but I was so disappointing that they cancelled Midna. It drove me nuts, plus I prefer Lightning to Cloud. Lightning is a fighter, even though she is cold and icy, she has this determination to save the world, despite the risks. She doesn't care if she dies, as long as another may live. Plus I can totally imagine her using Odin and slaughtering Megaman. Oh, since they're make Lightning Returns there is a slight possibility. >:D

Pinkie-Dawn
October 7th, 2013, 06:01 AM
There's a "leaked" picture that showed up yesterday:

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/9403/9gpo.png

A lot of users are saying this is fake because of how Pikachu's falling animation was copy/pasted from the dojo pic, Mega Mewtwo was ripped from the hacked Brawl models, and how the sky in the battlefield stage is darker than how it was shown before (though that usually happens whenever someone has the smash ball). What do you guys think?

Zero°
October 7th, 2013, 06:08 AM
Also notice how Mewtwo's battle portrait isn't its Mega form. And yeah that Pikachu doesn't look "real" to me, he looks like melee Pikachu. This could just be some Brawl hack imo. The battle field stage looks too much like Brawl's in size, so it's probably just a stage texture/model hack.

Spinosaurus
October 7th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Also notice how Mewtwo's battle portrait isn't its Mega form. And yeah that Pikachu doesn't look "real" to me, he looks like melee Pikachu. This could just be some Brawl hack imo. The battle field stage looks too much like Brawl's in size, so it's probably just a stage texture/model hack.
That definitely does NOT look like Melee Pikachu.
http://www.nindb.net/img/guide/super-smash-bros-melee/character/pikachu.png
This is Melee Pikachu.

The Pikachu in that screenshot is from this exact picture.
http://i.imgur.com/ibduUZZ.jpg

Pinkie-Dawn
October 11th, 2013, 10:04 AM
I find it hilarious that today, instead of a Pokémon reveal we've been expecting because of X and Y's release tomorrow, we get a screenshot of the Wii Fit Trainer's butt. Sakurai has trolled the Smash community once again. XD

Dragon
October 14th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Hm, I'm just wondering - do you guys play stock or timed battles more?

I tend to play stock battles more... for some reason, since I'm not quite an aggressive person trying to net KOs, teehee.

Pinkie-Dawn
October 18th, 2013, 06:05 AM
Guys, we've got a Pokemon reveal!

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/p480x480/539792_666415056716036_523121756_n.jpg

Well played, Sakurai.

I tend to play stock battles more... for some reason, since I'm not quite an aggressive person trying to net KOs, teehee.

I play stock battles with the time limit on (approximately 2 minutes for the purpose of saving those matches).

Dragon
October 18th, 2013, 06:13 AM
Hm, I suppose that will be one of the pokemon that will appear when you'd open a pokeball! But the question of the day is, what will it do. :o

Pinkie-Dawn
October 18th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Hm, I suppose that will be one of the pokemon that will appear when you'd open a pokeball! But the question of the day is, what will it do. :o
My best guess is that it'll use its signature move: Geomacy, since box legendaries as pokeball summons always use their signature moves in Smash Bros.

Bruce Banner
November 3rd, 2013, 03:55 PM
The new Male Wii Fit Trainer has been added guys:

[IMG]http://images.vg247.com/current//2013/10/super_smash_bros_wii_fit_trainer.jpg[/IMG[

What are your thoughts on this? Also, the new game has been rumored to be released sometime in May of 2014. Do you believe that?

Dragon
November 7th, 2013, 06:33 AM
Look who's back!

http://sickr.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/marth_vs_link_smash_bros.jpg?w=604&h=339

As girly as ever! May 2014 sounds good imo.

Pinkie-Dawn
November 7th, 2013, 02:29 PM
It's strange that Marth is being used to advertise Awakening (in the U.S.) and FE12 (in Japan) when both of those titles were already out prior to 2013. I also heard that the guys at /v/ are moaning for the loss of Lucina's chance at entering the roster because of her ancestor's confirmation.

Gamehead121
November 7th, 2013, 02:49 PM
This thread is about your predictions and hopes of characters for ssb4

As for me i hope bass, shadow, and balloon fighter

p.s. If you dont know marth was confirmed today :)

Pinkie-Dawn
November 15th, 2013, 05:27 PM
This thread is about your predictions and hopes of characters for ssb4

As for me i hope bass, shadow, and balloon fighter

......... I'm not going to bother responding to these type of character requests.

In other news, new stage confirmed!

http://i.imgur.com/im7mSFy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/p10uopN.jpg

About time Sakurai fully reveals this stage after teasing it with that Kirby image from a few months back.

bobandbill
November 15th, 2013, 07:50 PM
It's a pretty neat concept for a stage imo. Wonder how it'll actually handle though.

isthatyoudan
November 15th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Posted by Bruce Banner: The new Male Wii (http://www.amazon.ca/s?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wii) Fit Trainer has been added guys
WHAT THE??????? What is a creepily pale friendly physical trainer going to do in a fighting game? What's his final smash, making everyone else healthier? He does not seem like the punchy type.

bobandbill
November 16th, 2013, 04:58 AM
WHAT THE??????? What is a creepily pale friendly physical trainer going to do in a fighting game? What's his final smash, making everyone else healthier? He does not seem like the punchy type.Nor do a bunch of other characters, to be fair. Animal Crossing's Villager, or even in previous games (ROB wasn't even a vg character to begin with as much as a device as I understand it.). I'd say he fits in, because the Smash franchise is a lighthearted one in the first place, and a crossover to boot across many different games.

Mr Cat Dog
November 16th, 2013, 05:06 AM
Are people going to purchase the 3DS or the Wii U version or both when it eventually comes out? I assumed that I'd probably go for the Wii U but seeing as I don't have one yet (and don't have a particular desire to get one for the foreseeable future), I might just end up plumping for the 3DS for the novelty of playing SSB on the move! :D

bobandbill
November 16th, 2013, 05:35 AM
I am undecided. I'd need a Wii U first, but I think I would probably have one by then. =p But who knows. Maybe I'd end up with both if I think it's worth it (helped by the fact they'll have different stages), and if there's a neat deal going for the two (the latter is unlikely though). What I do know is that at the very least I'll get one of them for sure, haha.

Bruce Banner
November 17th, 2013, 04:43 PM
I am undecided. I'd need a Wii U first, but I think I would probably have one by then. =p But who knows. Maybe I'd end up with both if I think it's worth it (helped by the fact they'll have different stages), and if there's a neat deal going for the two (the latter is unlikely though). What I do know is that at the very least I'll get one of them for sure, haha.

Yeah, I am in the exact situation. I already own 3DS, but not a WiiU. I will definitely be purchasing Smash 4 for the 3DS, but idk if I want to spend $250 on WiiU just for the game. Mario Kart 8 comes out next year as well, I may buy the WiiU then.

Pinkie-Dawn
December 6th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Skull Kid is confirmed!

As an assist trophy: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAABnUYnZZEvggg

This is why you should never expect one-time Zelda characters to be playable fighters.

Beyond Infinity
December 6th, 2013, 11:12 AM
I'm hoping to pick up a Wii U in the post-Christmas sales, so that I can get SSB and MK8 and such.

I wonder if they'll actually add many new characters now? We have 3, might get a couple more?

Spinosaurus
December 6th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Of course we'll get more...it should be right about time for a new character already actually. :/

Where's my Lil Mac?

Powerstars
December 11th, 2013, 06:00 PM
(If this is spamming, don't hesitate to take it down)

So, I looked at how fans got Earthbound on the American virtual console by flooding the Japanese miiverse page. And I wondered if the same could be done for a character many (including myself) want in Smash. And that character, is of course, Geno. Of course, the attempt would need to be organized...

Now how this is going to work is I'm going to spread this message around. I encourage you to do the same, you have my permission to copy/paste. Then, on December 26th, we will flood the japanese Smash Bros. community in hopes Nintendo will see and attempt to license the character from Square. So, Pokecommunity, what do you say?

P.S: Remember, Geno's japanese name is <3♪?!

Dragon
December 18th, 2013, 07:18 AM
http://sickr.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/rosalina_super_smash.png?w=600&h=576&crop=1

Roslina and Luma have been confirmed as playable character(s)! Well, I say 'characters' loosely because they are both treated like the Ice Climbers, and you can play as two characters for one.

Pinkie-Dawn
December 18th, 2013, 08:57 AM
You can also see the trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWhWAUrLqKQ&feature=player_embedded

I thought Sakurai won't be revealing any newcomers until he finishes revealing the returning veterans, but it looks like I was wrong. The fact that we now have 5 Mario reps pretty much kills off Bowser Jr., Waluigi, Geno, and Paper Mario's chances at entering since 5 is the current limit for any of Nintendo's biggest franchises.

Bruce Banner
December 26th, 2013, 03:10 AM
Guys, Zelda is coming back!

http://www.smashbros.com/images/character/zelda/screen-6.jpg

Pinkie-Dawn
December 26th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Guys, Zelda is coming back!

http://www.smashbros.com/images/character/zelda/screen-6.jpg
Seems like Rosalina doesn't want Zelda's return to ruin her spotlight as the first newcomer in six months.

I think it's now safe to assume that Ganondorf will be back in his TP design as well.

Spinosaurus
December 26th, 2013, 08:32 AM
How appropriate considering I've been playing A Link Between Worlds and Wind Waker HD lately.

Too bad Zelda is one of the most boring characters to play as. I HATE her moveset.

Dragon
December 26th, 2013, 08:37 AM
How appropriate considering I've been playing A Link Between Worlds and Wind Waker HD lately.

Too bad Zelda is one of the most boring characters to play as. I HATE her moveset.

Her moveset -is- kind of lackluster compared to others, but, I'm not sure - I've been playing her a lot in Brawl recently, and, I think she's okay~

Bruce Banner
December 26th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Her moveset -is- kind of lackluster compared to others, but, I'm not sure - I've been playing her a lot in Brawl recently, and, I think she's okay~

From one of the screens it looks like she's getting at least one more new move in the next game. I hope that happens, I enjoy playing as her in SSBB (even more than Shiek).

Pinta77
December 27th, 2013, 12:55 PM
I want travis touchdown in the new super smash.Maybe no more heroes isnt the most popular game but... wii fit trainer... cmon.

Pinkie-Dawn
December 27th, 2013, 01:08 PM
I want travis touchdown in the new super smash.Maybe no more heroes isnt the most popular game but... wii fit trainer... cmon.
No More Heroes is published by Ubisoft, which is a western third-party company. Sakurai isn't going to travel all the way to Europe or the U.S. to get a foreign third-party character, so we're more likely to get a third-party character made in Japan (Pac-Man/Lloyd, Snake/Simon Belmont/Bomber Man, Professor Layton, Dragon Quest protagonist). Also, Wii Fit Trainer is this game's R.O.B. and Mr. Game & Watch, and she's also from a new IP post-Brawl, which Sakurai wants after complaining about the lack of new Nintendo IPs that would fit well in Smash Bros.

Bruce Banner
December 27th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Do you guys think that we could see a Kingdom Hearts character? I think it's possible; Kingdom Hearts has been on the DS and 3DS now.

Darkrai Lv.1000
December 27th, 2013, 01:28 PM

I find that funny because Zelda is my weakness. When anyone uses her, I instantly suck. I just can't counter her moveset well. xD

Do you guys think that we could see a Kingdom Hearts character? I think it's possible; Kingdom Hearts has been on the DS and 3DS now.

I said something like this about that Playstation All-Stars game, like how they didn't include many iconic characters like Sora. In the case of Smash Bros, as much as I would love to see Sora in this game, I don't think it will happen.

Spinosaurus
December 27th, 2013, 03:01 PM
I find that funny because Zelda is my weakness. When anyone uses her, I instantly suck. I just can't counter her moveset well. xD
If you're not familiar with zoning style like Snake (who is actually very very good at it) and Zelda then I can see anyone having trouble. Depending on my character, I have trouble too. However, Zelda is absolutely terrible in both Melee and Brawl. It was only until Project M when a friend of mine started using her with her buffed up Din's Fire that I had to play match ups and counter-pick characters that can zone better like Toon Link and Snake. (Not so much Snake in Project M, though.)

And please god no Kingdom Hearts. I don't mind Snake because the MGS universe is so utterly ridiculous and self-aware that he actually fits (nevermind Kojima and Sakurai's friendship), but he's still a bit much. Sora would be pushing it.

DowntownDumpling
December 27th, 2013, 05:04 PM
I'm not good as any of the female characters so far, though I don't find them particularly difficult to dispatch, either. I main Pikachu and Ness, and I'm starting to get into Jigglypuff.

Pinkie-Dawn
December 27th, 2013, 08:03 PM
Let's discuss how the roster is going to be organized this time around. As we've already known, each roster sets the characters by series, whether it's horizontally on the first two games or vertically on the third game. There also appears to be a new row added within each installment (64 started with 2 rows, then 3 in Melee, and 4 in Brawl). The Mario series is always displayed at the beginning at the roster, the Kirby series is always displayed at the heart of the roster, the Pokémon series is always displayed near the end of the roster, and Mr. Game & Watch is always displayed at the last row/column of the roster before the Japan-exclusive IPs/third-parties and the random button (since Brawl). If the roster for SSB4 is 5x9, then it'll be difficult to add more new IP characters in the roster, assuming all the characters from Brawl return, but if it's 6x8, then it'll ruin a pattern of adding one new row in each installment. Remember, the total number of characters must be at least 50 due to Sakurai's comment on balance issues, including transformation characters, so we can't have a 5x10 roster, which will only go over 50. Because of Rosalina's reveal, we've might've lost a spot for Wonder Red or Shulk.

Disney owns part of the Kingdom Hearts franchise, and I imagine them being a bigger pain to negotiate with than Square Enix due to being a juggernaut corporation. Also, including Sora would also mean removing any references to Disney since they never originated from video games.

machomuu
December 27th, 2013, 08:10 PM
And please god no Kingdom Hearts. I don't mind Snake because the MGS universe is so utterly ridiculous and self-aware that he actually fits (nevermind Kojima and Sakurai's friendship), but he's still a bit much. Sora would be pushing it.
I think comparing MGS to Kingdom Hearts in regards to their inclusion in Super Smash Bros isn't such a good idea. Snake doesn't fit in SSB, and that's just the thing. It's because of the comedic nature of his appearance that he worked in the setting with those characters.

Sora's different, though. Given the often times cartoony nature of Kingdom Hearts and...well...Disney in general, Sora's serious attitude mixed with his Disney-level cheeriness make him quite appropriate for Super Smash Bros. I think he fits quite well, and there'd be little opposition from fans of Smash for the same reason, save maybe for the fact that they might not like Kingdom Hearts.

King Tetiro
December 29th, 2013, 06:04 AM
I think comparing MGS to Kingdom Hearts in regards to their inclusion in Super Smash Bros isn't such a good idea. Snake doesn't fit in SSB, and that's just the thing. It's because of the comedic nature of his appearance that he worked in the setting with those characters.

Sora's different, though. Given the often times cartoony nature of Kingdom Hearts and...well...Disney in general, Sora's serious attitude mixed with his Disney-level cheeriness make him quite appropriate for Super Smash Bros. I think he fits quite well, and there'd be little opposition from fans of Smash for the same reason, save maybe for the fact that they might not like Kingdom Hearts.

I will concur that Sora is suitable for Smash Bros. But it won't happen. He's more associated to Sony than Nintendo. Just the way it is.

I am happy that Zelda was confirmed though as it confirms Ganondorf at the same time. After all, if they have the roster space to waste on the clone character Toon Link, then they have already added Ganondorf. Simple to predict. Especially as Ganondorf has been in 2 Smash Bros games already. He's not going anywhere in a hurry.

Though it doesn't look good for new Zelda characters though

machomuu
December 29th, 2013, 06:11 AM
I will concur that Sora is suitable for Smash Bros. But it won't happen. He's more associated to Sony than Nintendo. Just the way it is.
Agreed, I'm honestly not completely sure why it was a subject of debate in the first place. I mean, there's not much outcry for him and there'd be little reason to put him in other than Dream Drop Distance and Birth By Sleep. I realize that Snake got in (which really does make it something of an unlikely possibility), but Neku's a more likely choice for SSB4 than Sora.

On that note, Neku for 2014/15 SSB. They could get really creative with his moveset and playstyle.

King Tetiro
December 29th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Agreed, I'm honestly not completely sure why it was a subject of debate in the first place. I mean, there's not much outcry for him and there'd be little reason to put him in other than Dream Drop Distance and Birth By Sleep. I realize that Snake got in (which really does make it something of an unlikely possibility), but Neku's a more likely choice for SSB4 than Sora.

On that note, Neku for 2014/15 SSB. They could get really creative with his moveset and playstyle.

Neku is far more likely. Then again it's Square Enix. You never know with them. One minute they promote Cloud. Then it's Lightning.

Now here's a good thought. What about the following? They are the very meaning of Nintendo-loyalty

Professor Layton
Isaac from Golden Sun
Shulk from Xenoblade

They seem very possible to me

Spinosaurus
December 29th, 2013, 06:54 AM
I despise roster discussions, especially regarding third parties, but I won't lie that I'd like seeing Layton or Phoenix Wright in this. I won't lie that I want Snake back either, especially since he was in Brawl.

That said, all I really want is Lil Mac. Him alone would justify the purchase of the game for me...OK, I lie, Wario and DK (amongst other) did that since the beginning, but I'd be very happy to see a representative of one of my favorite games (Punch Out) and my favorite hobby (Boxing) to be in a series I've been with for a long time.

machomuu
December 29th, 2013, 06:58 AM
Well it's an SSB thread, roster discussions are pretty much inevitable.

...And they're also part of the reason I'd avoided coming into this thread in the first place. Mainly because they can get pretty crazy.

King Tetiro
December 29th, 2013, 06:58 AM
I despise roster discussions, especially regarding third parties, but I won't lie that I'd like seeing Layton or Phoenix Wright in this. I won't lie that I want Snake back either, especially since he was in Brawl.

That said, all I really want is Lil Mac. Him alone would justify the purchase of the game for me...OK, I lie, Wario and DK (amongst other) did that since the beginning, but I'd be very happy to see a representative of one of my favorite games (Punch Out) and my favorite hobby (Boxing) to be in a series I've been with for a long time.

I do as well but you rarely see stage discussions (That said, a Hyrule<->Lorule stage from Link Between Worlds would be amazing) or assist trophy discussions. It's typically the bread and butter of fighting games. Heck I've seen topics just for roster discussion.

I hope they provide Lil Mac too. He looked like fun! Layton I hope they give justice. He did so much to the DS. 15 milion Layton copies sold and a franchise that people remember. He in my opinion is the only other character (Phoenix Wright as well) who should be made to have a space.

I base my predictions based on the facts I see. That's why I saw a new Mario character coming. As well as Ganondorf's return.

Spinosaurus
December 29th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Stage discussions are more fun and civil I agree. (music as well)

We already caught a glimpse of the Punch Out stage (shut up let me have hope), but I'd looove a Rhythm Heaven stage and a proper Donkey Kong one.

Pinkie-Dawn
December 29th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Speaking of music, these are my top 10 musics I'd like to see in SSB4:

1. Dark Bowser (Bowser's Inside Story)
2. Don't Speak Her Name (Fire Emblem Awakening)
3. Moldarach/Koloktos (Skyward Sword)
4. C-R-O-W-N-E-D (Kirby's Return to Dreamland)
5. Rundas (Metroid Prime 3)
6. You Will Know Our Names (Xenoblade)
7. King Krusha Rool (Donkey Kong 64)
8. Porky Means Business (Earthbound)
9. We Are the Robots (Mega Man 9)
10. Champion Iris (Pokémon Black 2/White 2)

Wazee Wynkoop
December 29th, 2013, 07:53 PM
I haven't played Skyward Sword yet, but I'd bet Ghirahim would make it in as a new fighter, wouldn't he?

As for 3rd parties, I feel like Mega Man might be it. I really do hope Snake comes back too.
Same with Lucario; I was fearing he'd be replaced by a reduxed Mewtwo, but who knows.

Rosalina looks fun to play and I'm glad they're getting more females in!

machomuu
December 29th, 2013, 08:01 PM
I haven't played Skyward Sword yet, but I'd bet Ghirahim would make it in as a new fighter, wouldn't he?

As for 3rd parties, I feel like Mega Man might be it. I really do hope Snake comes back too.
Same with Lucario; I was fearing he'd be replaced by a reduxed Mewtwo, but who knows.

Rosalina looks fun to play and I'm glad they're getting more females in!
Not really sure if you're joking or not, but if you aren't, Mega Man was one of the first revealed characters for SSB4.

And I'm also glad that they're adding more female fighters, it's always good to have that variety. It wasn't something I really appreciated until Brawl, where later on I would go out of my way to use Zelda, Peach, and Samus (ZS).

Speaking of music, and since we're on the subject of Punch Out!, they need to add a remix of the original battle theme from Punch Out! NES and Wii, among many many many other songs that need to be in it.

Spinosaurus
December 30th, 2013, 04:12 AM
Speaking of music, and since we're on the subject of Punch Out!, they need to add a remix of the original battle theme from Punch Out! NES and Wii
You mean like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XzAPa4ji7M)? Or this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnJzsAeDpOA)? How about this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpccRdanqEA)? :P

Personally all I really want is for the DKC series to get proper representation music wise (and STAGE WISE). I honestly can't see ANY reason why we still haven't gotten the popular Aquatic Ambiance or Forest Interlude in Brawl, aside from the fact they're maybe too ambient for Smash. But then again, we got stuff like Snowman. They did add Stickerbush Symphony, but I honestly don't like the remix lol.
Gimme my Mining Melancholy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgvsIvHJTds) in Smash, man. :(

machomuu
December 30th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Ugh...damn you music, with your names <_<

I'm referring to what in Punch Out!! is called the "Major Circuit Theme", though if they were to base it off of any of them, I'd prefer that they go with the original...it's just so catchy.

Pinkie-Dawn
December 30th, 2013, 07:33 AM

Have you not learned anything from Skull Kid's assist trophy confirmation? One-time Zelda characters have zero chance at appearing in Smash as playable characters.

Same with Lucario; I was fearing he'd be replaced by a reduxed Mewtwo, but who knows.Both can co-exist now that 5 is the new limit of slots for Mario and Pokémon.

As for 3rd parties, I feel like Mega Man might be it.Rosalina looks fun to play and I'm glad they're getting more females in!If you've been going through the website since June based on your comment on Rosalina, you should already know by now that Mega Man is already in the game.

As for Punch Out!! music, your lack of mentioning the password theme disappoints me.

Dragon
December 30th, 2013, 11:13 AM
More Stuff about the Character Balancing (http://mynintendonews.com/2013/12/30/sakurai-talks-about-balancing-characters-in-super-smash-bros-3ds-wii-u/).
Sounds like they're still making character's strong, but, add other weaknesses.

Wazee Wynkoop
December 31st, 2013, 03:32 PM
When I was talking about Mega Man, I was saying I think he's the only new addition for 3rd parties, meaning "Mega Man is it," nothing else. But I hope I'm wrong.

I can't really pursue the line of thought for Ghirahim, the only argument I'd make is if he has potential to be a recurring villain, but maybe he dies in Skyward for all I know (rather not be spoiled on that).
If it's true that one-time Zelda characters can't become main fighters, then that saddens me. That means LoZ won't get more than the 4 they have for a long while. None of the other characters are really fighters, or fighters worthy enough for a slot.

Good point about the 5 slot thing though; if they brought Toon Link back, then I shouldn't really be worried about Lucario.

Dragon
January 4th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Hm, what about the music tracks? Are there any sorts of musics that you'd love to hear in SSB4?

Personally I do hope that they'll use some of the older Fire Emblem tracks from the older Fire Emblem games, like maybe some from Radiant Dawn or something. Other than that, I expect to hear some Fire Emblem Awakening osts, but, hopefully things like Id-Awakening.

machomuu
January 4th, 2014, 01:47 PM
I'd like it if they threw a curveball and put in someone from, say, Seisen no Keifu or one of the other older, non-officially translated Fire Emblems. If only because it would build demand for those games to be brought over and then boom, we'll either see remakes or translated VC (probably VC, but that's just as good to me).

After all, that's how the series came over in the first place. It's sad that Mother 3 wasn't so lucky, though.

King Tetiro
January 4th, 2014, 02:20 PM
In regards to Ghirahim, I'll quote what I posted at another forum

"In all honesty, Impa is a very likely character. Most of the characters in Smash Bros are typically reoccurring characters in the franchise (there are exemptions of course. Ike/Roy for one)

But looking through the reoccurring characters in Zelda, there are really only 4 left for possibilities

Sheik
Ganondorf
Impa
Vaati

Whilst Ghirahim is indeed a popular character, Vaati has more of a chance due to his games typically being on the handheld. Thus making a Zelda handheld representative

And Ganondorf is pretty much confirmed since they confirmed Toon Link. If they have the roster space to waste on a clone character (Clone character for now...), they have already added Ganondorf."

machomuu
January 4th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Eh...I'm doubting Ganondorf and Toon Link will be as "cloney" this time around. They're definitely going to have more apparent differentiation that would appeal to non-competitive (and competitive) players.

King Tetiro
January 4th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Eh...I'm doubting Ganondorf and Toon Link will be as "cloney" this time around. They're definitely going to have more apparent differentiation that would appeal to non-competitive (and competitive) players.

I'm doubting it as well. But until we get to see their movesets with our eyes, we have to assume otherwise :/

Pinkie-Dawn
January 4th, 2014, 03:06 PM
I really doubt Toon Link will be luigified, because Sakurai mentioned back in the Brawl website that it is a rule that both incarnations of Link will share the same moveset.

DowntownDumpling
January 5th, 2014, 10:30 PM
I hope they add a Sonic character that isn't Sonic. It's not going to happen, but I think Cream would be a nice choice.

I'd also like Professor Layton. He's... second-party or something, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Dragon
January 6th, 2014, 06:06 AM
Looks like trophies are making a safe return:

http://sickr.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/3ds_trophy_smash_bros.jpg?w=474

How we get them, is still a mystery.

Pinkie-Dawn
January 6th, 2014, 08:08 AM
It'll probably be the same way we've obtained trophies from the last two games (Classic Mode, Adventure Mode, Slot machines, etc.).

I hope they add a Sonic character that isn't Sonic. It's not going to happen, but I think Cream would be a nice choice.

One character per third-party franchise. Remember, Sakurai doesn't want to add third-parties all willy nilly.

I'd also like Professor Layton. He's... second-party or something, so it shouldn't be too hard.
Sorry, he's actually a third-party character in Japan.

Dragon
January 10th, 2014, 08:46 AM
OUR KING HAS RETURNED!

http://www.smashbros.com/images/character/dedede/screen-5.jpg

ALL HAIL THE HAMMER!

Pinkie-Dawn
January 10th, 2014, 08:53 AM
IJuvLndCMfc

Our king is back once again to clobbah dat dere Kirbeh. Now we wait for Diddy's return next month.

Dragon
January 10th, 2014, 09:00 AM
IJuvLndCMfc

Our king is back once again to clobbah dat dere Kirbeh. Now we wait for Diddy's return next month.

Wait, how do you know Diddy will make an appearance next month?

Darkrai Lv.1000
January 10th, 2014, 09:48 AM
Wait, how do you know Diddy will make an appearance next month?

He's probably making an assumption based on DKC Tropical Freeze coming out next month, like how certain characters were revealed to commemorate the release of a game in their franchise.