PDA

View Full Version : How much... is too much?

Miss Doronjo
June 20th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Just like everything, there's a point in which it becomes unhealthy obsession with one thing, but the lines are blurred.

Where and when does video games go beyond hardcore fan and into obsession? Is it ever unhealthy? Are there certain parts of the video game fandoms which lean more towards obsession than others, or do you have to be active in more than one form of video game topics or factions to be unhealthily obsessed?

What do you think?

Alinthea
June 21st, 2013, 01:27 AM
While I don't think it is a bad thing for people to enjoy games and jump on board with them, there is certainly a line that shouldn't be crossed. A well known example of this would be World of Warcraft (WoW). We have all heard of those gamers that play this game for the majority of the days hours and do nothing else. I think if you are constantly playing a game for straight hours every day, then you are starting to cross this line; and I mean 5+ hours every day.

I think games that require grinding are subject to having its players obsess over it; MMORPGs, RPGs, online FPSs and so one are at the top of the list for grinding. These factors certainly help distort people's grip on reality and distort how much they should be playing the game on a daily basis.

Arron13
June 21st, 2013, 11:53 AM
In my opinion I think you cross the line when you put your health in danger. I understand playing a lot of video games, I play a lot, and I sometimes have days where I play almost all day, but those are way few and way far between. If you play all the time and it is starting to have a negative effect on your health, that is where the line is crossed. Video games are fun, but not worth ruining your life or health.

Limerent
June 22nd, 2013, 01:34 AM
Too much gaming is when it starts to affect your real world life and people in a negative way. In school holidays, I've played from like 3PM to 3AM every day almost non-stop, it's great fun, but the result is work and study does not get done, and you've destroyed your future in favour of an online life (unless you're a huge youtuber and make your living of games, in which case good for you). That's when it crosses the line. I love playing games and meeting people online, there have been some awesome experiences and i've made some close friends, but seriously, speaking as someone who is obsessed with games, don't be like me kids...

Oh and any game can be addictive if the circumstances are right, not just WoW or LoL players, you could easily get addicted to Pokemon, CoD, whatever...