PDA

View Full Version : Coming to America... Never.

Miss Doronjo
July 8th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Do you know of, or want any video games that were never released overseas to your area? Why do you think that the companies refuse to release those games overseas? Feel free to express thoughts. ^^

Sweets Witch
July 8th, 2013, 01:50 PM
The past couple of days have really surprised me in terms of releases in the West. NISA licensed the PS Vita port of Dangan Ronpa and Tales of Xillia 2 was confirmed for release (now if only they tack on that Madoka DLC as well). Those were my main two wishes and they've been granted, so I'm content for the time being.

But yeah, licensing things is apparently a real pain and I try to not complain about it too much. Granted, I have a pretty extensive list of titles that I want to be released for one reason or another, but I don't exactly have my hopes up for them. Most are visual novels. I wish the market for them over here was bigger so that more would be professionally translated.

Powerserge
July 8th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Do you know of, or want any video games that were never released overseas to your area?
Jeez, so many! Right off the top of my head though, I'd say a bunch of early SMT games of the 90s, like the original two and If. Also, a lot of Front Mission games, FF Type-0, Mother 3, a ton of old school RPGs actually.....Namco x Capcom, SO MANY FIRE EMBLEM GAMES....uhh...and the Super Robot Wars series!

Oh I've played all of these, by the way~

Why do you think that the companies refuse to release those games overseas?
They always cite "not a significant interest in the market for profitability" but maybe if they'd invest in some clever overseas advertising...

*ahem* Yeah.

TRIFORCE89
July 8th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Because it costs more to localize/translate, publish, and market then they expect to make back in profit due to differences in tastes between the markets. Not to say that they would sell zero copies or that it might not have strong fan support, both would likely be false. I don't think it's malicious. They do a simple costs vs benefits analysis to determine the ROI. Certain types of games sell better than others do here, and the same is true elsewhere. They need to sell enough to merit it

Darkrai Lv.1000
July 8th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Pokemon Card GB2, Pokemon Card GB2, Pokemon Card GB2, Pokemon Card GB2 :(

I'm sad this game never made it to the US, I believe it was because Wizards of the Coast (I think it was called...?) was bought out before translation could start, so they didn't have the rights to the cards anymore.

Mother 3 is still pretty big for me as well.

I still wish I knew why Square-Enix doesn't release the Final Mix versions of Kingdom Hearts games to the US, besides the one coming with 1.5 HD Remix.

Maybe they don't think there's enough interest overseas that makes all these games worth translating? I have no clue, but I know I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

Arc
July 8th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Do you know of, or want any video games that were never released overseas to your area?

I actuallyknow of good amount of games that were never released overseas but the one that easily comes from the top of my head is, Sol Trigger (personal favourite) and Mother 3. I would say also say Tales series, but Namco has been showing the series some more love as of late.

I can actually pretty much guess their reasonings to why they didn't release the aforementioned games above. Sol Trigger was a new IP from Image Epoch and it was on the PSP. So due to Sol Trigger being new IP, it had no pre-existing legacy to be successful overseas. Also Sol Trigger was released in October of last year, the PSP is pretty much a dead console over here.

Mother 3 was Nintendo thinking that since EarthBound flopped when it was released, Mother 3 would follow suit. In my personal opinion, I felt that Nintendo should've translated at least the Mother 1+2 GBA game and see how that would do overseas before they made a decision of Mother 3.

Spinosaurus
July 8th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Rhythm Tengoku!

I already imported it, but if it was released overseas I feel it would have gotten the exposure it deserves...or perhaps not, seeing as the only reason it wasn't released overseas was because it was released a YEAR after the DS, so it probably would have been ignored.

At least we got the sequels, one of them being the best in the series! (Rhythm Heaven Fever.)

So my answer will go to all Mother games (Mother 2 was never released here in Europe...not until later this year :D), Guru Logi Champ, Ace Attorney Investigations, Ouendan 1 and 2 (we got Elite Beat Agents I guess) and of course, the inevitable japan only Rhythm Heaven Wii U/3DS

thedestinedblade
July 8th, 2013, 06:01 PM
The Super Robot Wars series is probably my biggest want. Granted, I've imported and and played a lot of them, but I'd really want the full experience in English. It's not really a mystery why we've only gotten 3 titles localized given the nature of the games (A crossover strategy franchise featuring various mecha anime series) Too many licensing issues to deal with, and the games would probably only appeal to very small audience.

A Tales handheld would be nice too.

Krazzikk
July 8th, 2013, 11:37 PM
From my understanding, licensing isn't an easy thing to do across countries, and the profit margin/time & work may be good enough

Games never released in the U.S. :(

A lot of the Ace Attorney games
A lot of the Fire Emblem games

Sora
July 9th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Ace Attorney Investigations 2 is the first one I thought of when I saw this thread. I loved Investigations and I found it saddening that it didn't get enough attention to get the second brought overseas. Another one used to be Tales of Symphonia (PS2) but since we'll be getting Chronicles that's kind of moot now! And I haven't played Vesperia so I can't be sad about not getting the PS3 version.

Unknown#
July 9th, 2013, 10:06 AM
The first two I thought of when I saw this thread were Mother 3 and Pokemon Card GB2. Pokemon Card Gb2 was a case of, as was said earlier, Wizards of the Coast stopped being the publisher of the TCG before it could be translated (even though a 100% complete fan transaltion exists now).

As for Mother 3, I think that was just a case of a Japanese company thinking there would be no demand for a game overseas. Even though from what I've seen from the internet it seems like there is a pretty big demand for it, or at least a sizable demand.

I think I should also bring up Super Mario Bros. 2 for this topic as well, seeing how the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't released overseas until Super Mario All Stars, due to Nintendo believing that people would be turned off by its extreme difficulty.

Cherrim
July 9th, 2013, 09:57 PM
The only game that I reeeeally want to play in English is Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney. It's really good so far (not that I'm very far in it) but I appreciate the AA games so much more in English because Phoenix is a lot more snarky and the puns in the names of characters make me laugh. (I don't... always get the puns in Japanese. D:)

I guess I'm also disappointed that more Tales games don't come out in English, too. I would have loved to play Tales of VS or more of the Tales of Radiant Mythology games in English--I love the crossover games so much and it makes me so sad that the first RM didn't do well (because it wasn't very good, especially comparatively) since it means they aren't going to bother with any more of them. I've been playing Vesperia PS3 lately and it makes me sad that more people won't get to play it because it's not like it would have been THAT much work to release here. Even digitally over PSN would've been great. D: There wouldn't have been that much more voice work to do if they wanted to half-ass it. Most of the game was already there in English. I prefer the Tales games in English because they're so character-driven so it's always great when they get localized.

...If I didn't know any Japanese, this list would be SO MUCH LONGER. But thankfully my Japanese is sufficient to stumble my way through most games that I'd been waiting too long for.

Azure Rathalδs
July 13th, 2013, 06:12 AM
The only import game that I have is Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, which I can't even play as my psp is broken and my PSP go has no UMD slot.

As for companies refusing games to come to other countries, It's all down to the money for them.

TRIFORCE89
July 13th, 2013, 07:56 PM
The first two I thought of when I saw this thread were Mother 3 and Pokemon Card GB2. Pokemon Card Gb2 was a case of, as was said earlier, Wizards of the Coast stopped being the publisher of the TCG before it could be translated (even though a 100% complete fan transaltion exists now).
That reasoning doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Wizards left Pokemon in 2003. The Japanese release of TCG2 was in March 2001. I think it had to do with the Game Boy Advance coming out in June 2001 in North America. Games get lost in shuffle during a platform transition and NoA had already set up the Zelda Oracle series as the GBC's swan song (with special GBA features too).

I think I should also bring up Super Mario Bros. 2 for this topic as well, seeing how the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't released overseas until Super Mario All Stars, due to Nintendo believing that people would be turned off by its extreme difficulty.
The USA version was so successful that they released in Japan too XD Amuses me.

Unknown#
July 13th, 2013, 08:12 PM
That reasoning doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Wizards left Pokemon in 2003. The Japanese release of TCG2 was in March 2001. I think it had to do with the Game Boy Advance coming out in June 2001 in North America. Games get lost in shuffle during a platform transition and NoA had already set up the Zelda Oracle series as the GBC's swan song (with special GBA features too).

This seems like a much better (and accurate) explanation than the one I gave for TCG2. BTW, I recently played the fan translation again. Still fantastic.

The USA version was so successful that they released in Japan too XD Amuses me.

Two things about this:
First off, its ironic how well Mario 2 USA did in Japan seeing how it in its original form as Doki Doki Panic sold okay at best.

And second, I'd like to point out that since SMB2j came out as Lost Levels, its been re-released and ported multiple times in the US, and even though its been highly criticized for its extreme difficulty (as Nintendo expected it would), its managed to do well (though this could just be because it has Mario in it).

Gogofreak
July 25th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Touhou Project. I tried to get an import once but it never arrived. The guy who makes them probably has a lot of reasons he doesn't sell them overseas or online.

White Glint
July 26th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Just want to make a disclaimer to all my buddies here:

If a Namco game doesn't get released here, it's Namco. Use Namco X Capcom as an example....as well as .Hack//Versus, and...well, a good majority of their games. Hell, it's a miracle that JoJo's is getting to the States.

Moving on....to answer the question...probably Under Night In-Birth.
Melty Blood creators make a new fightan game and...we CAN'T play it? That upsets me.

Team Fail
July 26th, 2013, 11:15 AM
The Famicom game Mouryou Senki MADARA was never released here. It's a good JRPG that has a fan translation, but it's never seen an overseas release.

Probably because of a lack of interest in other markets, and the costs of translating these games and making them suitable for other markets.