PDA

View Full Version : Oh my, there's a game in this game!

Limerent
July 11th, 2013, 03:16 AM
Minigames are small sidequests that have been present in video games for a very long time. Essentially they are non-compulsory features made simply for entertainment value to the player. Minigames don't even necessarily have to feature the same characters, game mechanics or graphics style to the main game, for example you could have a retro Space Invaders type game put into a modern FPS shooter like HALO as a throwback, or say in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, where you could play Gobstones, Wizards Chess and Exploding Snap, which were linked to the main game. Those types of things are minigames :) So :

-Out of any video games, what are your favourite minigames ?
-Are there any games where you think a minigame is better than the game itself? (lol)
-Do you think minigames are necessary features, are you bothered to play them? Why or why not?

My personal favourite minigames are those in Harry Potter titles and QUB3D (pronounced cubed), which is basically a colour based tetris like game in GTA IV. It's so addicting xD What about you?

Discuss minigames!

QUB3D: http://m.youtube.com/index?gl=AU&hl=en-GB&desktop_uri=%2F%3Fgl%3DAU%26hl%3Den-GB

Songbird
July 11th, 2013, 04:16 AM
Chocobo racing in Final Fantasy XIII-2. Video game gambling's one hell of a drug. Aside from the pretty graphics, that's about the only enjoyment I got out of the game.

Miss Doronjo
July 11th, 2013, 05:12 AM
When I think of Minigames, I like to think of Mario Party Games. Because, the minigames in Mario Party games are my favourite type of games, imo. ^^ Well, of course, generally, I think the minigames in Mario Party games are just as important as actually moving around in the map, trying to collect stars, because you need the coin winnings to actually get those stars. o3o

Otherwise, some other minigames that I can think of include some of the minigames on the Legend of Zelda video games, like Archery practice, (trying to shoot those crystals and octos), they've really went all out with these minigame son Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, which were important to do if you wanted to get all those masks.

So, therefore, I think minigames are necessary if you want to get bonus work done, or, maybe sometimes they require you to play them to advance in the video game story, or, maybe even get some secret stuff, as long as you understand why you're playing minigames. Otherwise, they're just for fun imo.

Spartacus
July 11th, 2013, 08:03 AM
I have to agree with Doronjo that Mario Party minigames are amazing, I used to play that a lot with some friends.

I actually really enjoyed the Zombie Arcade minigame on Black Ops. I actually found it quite fun and addictive, always had a bit of a joke playing that.

R.F.
July 11th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Minigames that where kinda fun are:

1. the well in the Golden Sun games
- mainly because you never know, which item you get and there are really awesome items xD

2. Ishi tori in Tales of Phantasia
- as soon as you realize how this game works, you can't lose it, but until you get it it's hard (even though the algorithm behind it is really easy)

Also there's this minigame in Donkey Kong 64 where you're playing all the stages of the first Donkey Kong game (that one where you're playing as Jumping Man, aka Mario)

Minigames are a nice feature and if a game is really long they are a really good alternative to spice games up, since they provide some alternative gameplay in the actual game.

Talli
July 11th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Fishing in OoT is pretty awesome. Do that count ?
I preferred that than doing the main story/dungeons.

Unknown#
July 11th, 2013, 12:33 PM
I love the pinball in Sonic Adventure. Not only does it help with the level, but the pinball itself is a bit addicting, and if I get going at it, I can spend awhile in the pinball-machine-area-thing.

I also like the Mario Party minigames, if only because all of them are fun with friends.

Kanzler
July 11th, 2013, 01:14 PM
/gameception

Does pokeathlon count? Cuz I love that. I think that's the only minigame I'm aware of though, my gaming world is very small.

Sweets Witch
July 11th, 2013, 02:21 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with the bunny races in SO3. Or anything in Gemity, really. I like the scenery but I hate everything but the arena.

Fishing in Okami is really, really fun. I once wasted a few hours fishing because I got so caught up in it all. It gets really challenging with some of the bigger fish.

Cherrim
July 13th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Oh man, I think I'm obliged to say Command Board in Birth by Sleep. The amount of time I've (quite willingly) put into Command Board probably doubles or triples the total playtime of the bulk of the video games I own. It's so much fun! n_n

I also really like Magic Carta in Tales of Graces f. It's a bit frustrating to perfect in single player mode for the titles but it's tons of fun to play with others. I think it's a testament to how simple and fun the game is that my roommates are always challenging me when we walk by the guy offering the minigame even though I'm the only one who's played a significant amount of Tales games!

I can't really think of any minigames I prefer to their actual games right now but that idea feels really familiar so I'll have to think on that, hmm.

Minigames are usually easily overlooked for me. I don't like being forced to do them but I do like when there's a reason to. So if you get some sort of reward, that's great, but I don't want the reward to be totally gamechanging. The two minigames I mentioned are good examples--in KHBBS you get medals that can be spent in a specific shop and as you do different boards, you get ranks up with the ultimate reward being a Keyblade (if you do the other minigames and whatnot too). In Graces, you get costume titles for getting a perfect score against the no good dirty rotten cheating CPU. :D