View Full Version : Tales of Xillia - Coming Soon!

Miss Doronjo
July 13th, 2013, 9:08 AM

It's coming to North America on August 6th! It's also coming to Europe around August 9th. So, that basically means it's coming out in less than a month. Are you going to get this game? What are your impressions of it? Feel free to give any thoughts. :3

July 13th, 2013, 10:51 AM
I... don't know about this one. I have never played a Tales of title, but I would always like to start playing the series.

I don't know if I could even be bothered to dust of my PS3 to play this imo.

July 13th, 2013, 11:02 AM
I've heard both great and awful things about this game. I haven't played that many games similar to it so might give it a try. I don't actually own a PS3 but am considering buying one if the PS4 doesn't support PS3 games, so I'll end up playing it either way; just the console will be different.

July 13th, 2013, 1:30 PM
Tales of Xillia <3.

I've imported the Japanese version, so I know what I'm getting into. But I did enjoy Xillia, even though in terms of features, it's lacking in comparison with the other Tales titles. Nevertheless, the battle system is extremely tight, and I enjoyed the characters. So, I'm eagerly awaiting for my Collector's Edition in August :D

July 13th, 2013, 4:52 PM
Will be buying it. But damn, I missed out on the Collector's Edition; the Milla figurine looks really nice too. :( People seem to be aware of this and are selling them for double the price, lol. Anyways, despite some not so good things I've heard about, it seems the game is good enough to looks past those faults. And Xillia 2 was announced for localization so it's given me even more an incentive to try it out.

July 13th, 2013, 5:54 PM
I'm a bit more excited about Xillia 2 than Xillia at this point, to be honest. I heard really mixed things about Xillia when it came out and didn't hear anything overly good until the last year when a lot of people I know played it. But everyone I know who's played Xillia 2 absolutely ADORE it. So I'm more looking forward to Xillia as a stepping stone for its sequel. (Honestly, I'm slightly sad it's getting localized because it means I'll wait for that when otherwise I was probably just going to import it as soon as I finished the first one...)

:) I have my Collector's Edition pre-ordered though and I'm starting to get pretty excited about it. Soon!

August 5th, 2013, 5:21 PM
Well, it's out tomorrow officially. I managed to snag up a Collector's Edition since Gamestop apparently restocked and still have it available. Pretty pricey but I guess the figurine alone makes it worth it (for me anyways) Hopefully the game doesn't disappoint.

Satoshi Ookami
August 5th, 2013, 11:06 PM
I haven't started Tales of series yet... even though I have heard many good things about it so probably I won't buy it any time soon... but I'm a big fan of JRPGs so it might end up in my collection =D

Sweets Witch
August 6th, 2013, 3:07 AM
I ordered a limited edition copy but they were all out of preorders which sucks because that figure looks awesome and it'd go great in my collection. To be honest I'm really excited because I've never played a Tales game before. If the battle system's as good as I hope then I'll be happy.

August 6th, 2013, 2:33 PM
Just got my copy through UPS. The figure is bigger than I thought it would be, and is pretty nicely detailed. {:3} Probably won't get to play much tonight, but I'll try and give it an hour at least.

August 8th, 2013, 1:18 PM
Nobody else is playing it yet? Given the game some hours over the last few days. Like the party members introduced so far (even Elize's annoying talking doll to an extent) and while the battle system doesn't introduce anything creatively innovating, it's still the same ole' addicting style the Tales series is noted for. Don't know what direction the story is going in either, but the party interaction and dialogue have kept me fairly entertained so far. OST has been rather uninspiring, as Sakuraba deviated very little from his usual style and the graphics are a little below standards, but those faults are easily passable.

August 23rd, 2013, 6:36 PM
*bump* Um, so has anyone played this? I've been so engrossed in it that I haven't bothered much with the internet. 8D; I saw this thread a day or two after I got the game but didn't feel like writing about it since I wasn't done yet and then completely forgot after that...

I picked up my copy on release date and wowwww the collector's edition is gorgeous. The Milla statue was a good size in comparison to my Natalia (Abyss) so she doesn't look out of place on my Tales shelf and she seems very well painted. I wasn't expecting it to look so good, to be honest. The artbook is great, if a little small, and I haven't actually touched the music CD yet but I probably won't bother since it's just a small selection anyway. :x

The game though? I pretty much fell in love with it. Or at least, I fell in love with Alvin as a character and he carried the game for me from there. It took me a while to warm up to the rest of the cast and I still feel like only Jude, Milla and Alvin were given the attention they deserved in the plot but the characters were still fundamentally better than Graces and, honestly, I liked them better than most of the cast of Vesperia too. When it comes to Tales games, I generally don't care much about the plot or the graphics or sometimes even the battle system--it's the characters that I end up getting attached to, so I was pleased that this one's kept me interested.

Probably my favourite part of this game, though, is the attachments. I was disappointed at first that the game only has 4 in-game costumes and the rest are DLC. (...of which I've bought at least 8, ehehehe...) But the attachments you find all over the place more than make up for it with their sheer numbers and customizability, imo. Pigtails Rowen is best Rowen. And the aviators suit Alvin so well that I find it physically jarring to see him without them.

This is the first Tales game where I didn't play a caster or even a Magic Knight. :x I really disliked Rowen's fighting style and I never did get the hang of Milla so I ended up playing as Alvin the whole game and he's sooo far away from my Tales battle comfort zone. It was nice to shake it up a bit in this game, though, and see what battles are like when I'm not in the relative safety of the farthest reaches of the battlefield.

Also, I kind of feel like the only one who was impressed by the music in this Tales. :( Yeah there are a bunch of tracks that feel very Tales-generic, but Sakuraba seems to have jumped out of his comfort zone quite a few times with this title, especially with most of the music in Auj Oule. And all of the battle themes as Milla are gorgeous! After several games in a row where I probably couldn't even tell you what game a song was from, nevermind specifically where it plays, this is a welcome change.

*quietly leaves thread and goes back to the game where she's sitting at ~130 hours and 4 trophies left until platinum* ._.;;;;