PDA

View Full Version : EA Sports - IT'S IN THE GAME

Miss Doronjo
July 13th, 2013, 04:14 PM
http://cdn.thedroidguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/ea-sports-logo.gif

So. EA Sports. It's been voted the worst video game company in America for the second time in a row now. But, even with that, what do you think about the video games from EA Sports? Do you like them, or... don't like them? Or, do you just feel indifferent because you haven't played a game from EA sports before?

What do you think EA Sports needs to do with their video games, in order to improve gamer satisfaction? You can state all thoughts about EA Sports here. ^^

Spartacus
July 13th, 2013, 04:22 PM
The only game I really play from EA Sports is FIFA, I always get that game. I love it because it's football, and it's the best football game on the market. However, EA always manage to find a way to slip up; they make promises then fail to live up to them. They try to get loads of money from Ultimate Team which is annoying. The amount of glitches experienced can be a huge inconvenience during games. The servers are incredibly unreliable. But still, gotta love a bit of FIFA.

Freezer
July 13th, 2013, 04:29 PM
^Pretty much for me. (Except I don't know what sort of bull****tery EA is up to with this franchise)

Considering the only realistic sports video game I play are Baseball (MLB The Show got this covered) and Soccer, Fifa is pretty much the best in the market for it. I suck bad though.

Though I've been thinking about trying my hands on Virtua Tennis and Fight Night (boxing), the latter being an EA sports title. Despite being a boxer myself I never played a realistic boxing simulator.

ProfGrove
July 13th, 2013, 07:30 PM
I'm not too fond of most fighters on the market. To me, they're in need of evolution with most of them being stuck in two dimensions with no limit on how many attacks you can throw at once. I'm just pointing this out because the only series from EA Sports that I play is Fight Night. You get stamina on your punches so spamming doesn't work and I specifically picked up this series to replace my need for a fighter.

Kyrul
July 13th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Honestly, every year they make their sporting games worse and worse. I've always bought their NASCAR, NHL and NFL games. I'm so glad they lost the contract with NASCAR a few years back, now we can finally have a good career mode again with realistic crashes instead of flubber cars.
If you would have asked me this 7 years ago I would have been all for a EA Sports game. God I just hope they don't ruin NHL 14.

They need to make more content. Find a way to add a 'career' mode into multiplayer. For instance (If they still had the NASCAR contract) They could let you create your own driver for multiplayer and hold scheduled race events. Where you place in the race would determine your points for the league overall. Of course they would have to have multiple leagues. They should make the racers on multiplayer pay expenses for their cars too, you wreck your car you pay for it. Of course they would need to elaborate on this alot more than I have, but if they could make an actual multiplayer league in there games then I would be one happy man.

Osiris
July 14th, 2013, 10:46 PM
I have a very love/hate relationship with EA Sports' games, which has been leaning slightly more towards hate with every passing year.

Many of their titles are really well done games, but they're stuck with the stigma of being nothing more than a roster update every year. As much as I'd like to defend them otherwise, this is starting to become the case, other than some simple modes here and there (many casual fans would notice no difference between FIFA 10 and FIFA 13). A perfect example of this is the NHL 94 Anniversary mode just announced for NHL 14. Basically all it does is take settings that were already available in previous versions, add some slight visual tweaks and sound effects, and they market it as a brand-new mode (and what's even worse, is that I've seen people just eating it up on other forums). It's things like this that their development teams are wasting time on rather than fixing numerous in-game problems, in hopes of drawing in new buyers than keeping returning ones.

It also doesn't help that EA has exclusive licensing contracts with the NHL, NFL and NCAA, meaning they have no competition for those games. While that might benefit those leagues financially, it really hurts the quality of the games, since they have no pressure to outshine another company's titles for those sports. Back when the EA was still competing with 2K across those leagues, they tried to outshine each other, meaning the fans at least had options based on their preferences. Now, we've only got one option for a number of leagues, so your choices are EA or nothing.

I really hope that they step their game up moving forward to the PS4 and Xbox One, but until other developers can get back into the mix, we may be stuck with mediocre sports games for the near future.

ShadowE
July 15th, 2013, 01:41 AM
Only game i play from them is. like Pave Low, FIFA... And the EA servers honestly SUCK. Especially when playing Ultimate team, and you almost become champion, you only need 1 point and then the servers die mid-game, leaving you in a state of rage. The ammount of glitches isnt fun anymore (flagged offside while my player was clearly not offside, and so on...).

And i also agree that they make a crapload of money on Ultimate Team, seeing how many people buy packs over and over again hoping to get Ronaldo or Messi or anyone else (personal experiences... yet i dont spend much on it).

But after all, it is always fun blowing your friend away with 10-0 xD

Nuke
July 15th, 2013, 08:00 AM
I usually only buy Fifa, but I bought Madden 13 this year so that can help me to formulate a better overall opinion.

With fifa they are lazy, the came up with one good concept four years ago (Ultimate team) to make money and they have barely change the game since. Building up to the release of every new game they always stick two words together to suggest an awesome new feature is being added (Pro Passing, Personality Plus, Precision Dribbling) and then fail to live up to the promise. It has gotten to the point were PES 2013 is actually better than Fifa 13 imo and that's from someone who even played Fifa as a kid when it was widely regarded as the lower quality series. Looking at Fifa 14 on next gen, it still looks the same while PES have actually bothered to revamp their current gen engine. Somehow it seems a 360/PS3 game is about to look a lot better than a One/PS4 game.

Madden was a fair bit better, but I'm probably being more fair to it as someone who hadn't played previous versions. All I can say is it had an online career mode thing which is something Fifa should've implemented around five years ago and hasn't done yet.

Having played NBA 2K13 a lot lately, I can see how EA Sports' NBA effort got cancelled. 2K have put a huge effort into their game, it has great presentation, great gameplay and a nice diversity of game modes unlike any EA Sports title I've played.

So yeah EA Sports is pretty bad.

donavannj
July 15th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Honestly, their best efforts have always been NHL and FIFA, of all the titles I've played, but NHL is hit or miss. NHL 2002 for the PS2 is ridiculously easy on Easy, while NHL 2004 for the same system is considerably less easy on Easy. Madden is okay, but I honestly preferred the NFL GameDay franchise from 989 Sports when that was still around. NBA Live had a decent soundtrack, but it was horribly simplistic with its gameplay in most of its iterations, and the franchise mode was no fun because you were required to perform certain tasks to earn any money. Their MVP Baseball series was awful in many ways, the only redeeming quality being the Home Run Derby.

Cerberus87
July 15th, 2013, 10:15 PM
The ammount of glitches isnt fun anymore (flagged offside while my player was clearly not offside, and so on...).

Are you sure this is a glitch? Referees aren't perfect IRL.

The only thing I buy from EA is FIFA. The rest sucks.

Spartacus
July 22nd, 2013, 02:25 PM
I think I'm gonna end it with buying EA games. I could get a lot more value for money with Steam games that I will probably get a lot of game time from without being pushed to buy DLC to "enhance" my gaming experience. EA cares about money, Steam has a side for it's customers.

ShadowE
July 23rd, 2013, 12:54 AM
Are you sure this is a glitch? Referees aren't perfect IRL.

The only thing I buy from EA is FIFA. The rest sucks.

I know, but when 4 players of your opponent are between your player and his goalkeeper and the distance is long, then there might be something wrong with the referee

TrainerJacob
August 4th, 2013, 11:48 AM
I used to like EA Sports, but not anymore for unknown reasons. The sports games by EA that I have are, NASCAR Thunder 2003, Major Leauge Baseball 2K6, MLB 2K10 and MLB 2K12. Under EA Freestyle I have NASCAR Kart Racing.

Aeroblast
August 4th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Problem with EA is not the games themselves, but the way they distribute them.

EA in the past several years has all about DLC, so that they can milk more money out of their customers. By turning their attention into making these DLCs, they neglect the quality of actual games. FIFA's online server is absolutely horrid, as I find myself disconnecting half the time when I'm playing an online match.

Best example of their recent failures is Sim City 2013 with its always-online DRM, which was simply a debacle of epic proportions, and the problem with their online servers was so bad it was deemed unplayable by many. They didn't listen to people saying not to make it always-online, but they ignored and released the pile of crap anyways which rightfully received negative criticism.

Spartacus
August 4th, 2013, 01:46 PM
EA's problems have never been with their games, their games are the only reason that EA are what they are.

They have problems everywhere else; they could easily have become one of the biggest gaming companies if they got things right for once. They are very unreliable in maintaining things, they don't live up to their promises and there are several...no, countless amounts of flaws in their games. It's just their games are the only "real" sports games. It's not hard to beat PES as a football game, for example. EA is all about money > everything else.

Crunch Punch
August 4th, 2013, 01:47 PM
I love how EA tried to come out as the good guys when they announced that they will pull out the god-awful online pass system from their future games. They never should of implemented it in the first place *sigh*

Fifa's the only EA Sports game that I buy, since I prefer the gamplay in Fifa and also the licensing for official teams help too. But like everyone has already said I just wish EA would stop trying to milk as much money from us as possible and do everyone a favour and fix the goddamn servers. Jeez.

I hope Konami put up a decent fight next-gen because I did prefer PES over Fifa in the PS2 days.

YungKnowledge
August 4th, 2013, 01:52 PM
It pretty much a love/hate for me to get my NFL kick and College ball since they are the only ones making the games now. They don't even make the college basketball anymore or at least I haven't seen one.

Spartacus
August 4th, 2013, 01:53 PM
I hope Konami put up a decent fight next-gen because I did prefer PES over Fifa in the PS2 days.

Well, I don't think they ever will be because they don't get the rights to use the official teams. Plus, FIFA has got such a huge fanbase and it would be incredibly hard for EA to fall from where they are already standing so I don't really see them losing more fans. PES is just gonna be one of those things that will end up dying out because their players start crawling over to FIFA and they will start to make less profit over the years. Or something of the sort.

Aeroblast
August 4th, 2013, 02:03 PM
EA's problems have never been with their games, their games are the only reason that EA are what they are.

They have problems everywhere else; they could easily have become one of the biggest gaming companies if they got things right for once. They are very unreliable in maintaining things, they don't live up to their promises and there are several...no, countless amounts of flaws in their games. It's just their games are the only "real" sports games. It's not hard to beat PES as a football game, for example. EA is all about money > everything else.

I agree. In my opinion, EA are prioritizing the wrong things, as you and I've said already. They care too much about money to really focus on other things such as fixing their god damn servers. It's not just EA Sports, EA have done it with Sim City, which again I mentioned was an abomination.

I love how EA tried to come out as the good guys when they announced that they will pull out the god-awful online pass system from their future games. They never should of implemented it in the first place *sigh*

There have been speculations that EA were collaborating with Microsoft, that since Microsoft's original architecture didn't require online pass in the first place EA just wanted to come out as the good guys when the news about abolishing online passes hit the masses (hey, that rhymed), but when Microsoft backtracked on their backwards policy, EA didn't want to... to nicely put it, screw up their customers by reversing the decision, but again that's just a theory. This the only decent thing they've done recently, albeit on the back of tons of terrible decisions they've made in the past.

FireBlaziken
August 11th, 2013, 02:09 AM
I only play FIFA and I love FIFA even though the quality is dropping :(

Apple Juice
August 13th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Fortunately for me, the only sports games that I would consider purchasing are tennis, and both of the top names in tennis video games weren't developed by EA Sports, and so I'm not that familiar with the company. I have heard my share of negative stories, however, specifically with FIFA, and can formulate a popular opinion that it's a rightfully disliked company. On the other hand, having not played a game from them myself, I won't go so far as to say that they're the worst in America, but I can definitely see why some would say that. In their favor, FIFA is a popular series that's probably going to keep them going for a good amount of time. As for its other series, I can't say too many positive things, haha. :c

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
August 15th, 2013, 02:05 AM
I play FIFA, quite regularly actually. However, I do despise EA as company. Half the time they only make half the game and rush the rest, and are just so greedy sometimes.

Slayer1986
August 15th, 2013, 02:33 AM
"EA Sports: Shut up and buy our games"

KingCharizard
August 15th, 2013, 03:57 AM
I've played the new madden 25 demo and the game is by far the best madden i've played..

Also I never thought EA was too bad, mainly cause the games they publish I buy NEW so i never had to whine about the Online passes..