PDA

View Full Version : Cory Monteith of Glee found dead at 31

Livewire
July 13th, 2013, 10:05 PM
This is pretty sad. :(

Cory Monteith, a Canadian actor best known for playing Finn Hudson on the hit show "Glee," was found dead Saturday in a Vancouver hotel room, police announced on Saturday. Monteith was 31 years old.

The Hollywood Reporter reports that he was found at the Fairmont Pacific Rim hotel.

Vancouver Police say they believe he was alone at the time of his death, and do not suspect foul play:

Shortly after noon today, the Vancouver Police received a call from the BC Ambulance Service regarding a sudden death in a room on the 21st floor of the Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel at 1038 Canada Place in downtown Vancouver.

Police attended within minutes of the call and paramedics advised the man in the room was clearly deceased. Coroner’s staff did attend the scene.

The deceased has been identified as 31-year-old actor Cory Monteith, who achieved great fame on the popular TV series Glee.

Before I give further information, on behalf of the Vancouver Police, I want to pass on our condolences to the family, friends, castmates and millions of fans of Mr. Monteith. As was the case in countless homes, I watched Glee regularly with my daughters, and I know there will be shock and sadness in many households with the news of his tragic death.

Mr. Monteith checked into the hotel in July 6th and was due to check out of the room today. There were others with Mr. Monteith in his room earlier last night, but video and fob key entries show him returning to his room by himself in the early morning hours and we believe he was alone when he died.

When he missed his check-out time, staff went to the room at noon and found his body.

We know there will be considerable interest in this case, and we have detectives assigned to the case who attended with our Forensic Identification Unit to examine the scene, to ensure to the extent possible that there are no unanswered questions.

Hotel video has been secured as well as room access records. Our investigators have spoken with hotel staff, who are providing the utmost in cooperation.

An autopsy is scheduled for Monday. The Coroner will be determining the next steps with respect to establishing cause of death, but all indications are that there was no foul play.

Source (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/14/cory-monteith-dead_n_3593360.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003)

Thoughts? Could it have been drugs, etc?

Sydian
July 13th, 2013, 10:13 PM
This is terribly sad. :( While I wouldn't call myself a Gleek per se, I watched enough of it to know the characters and such and that just makes it harder. My heart goes out to his family, friends, as well as the Glee cast and especially his girlfriend Lea. I can't imagine what they're all feeling.

Perrie ✿
July 13th, 2013, 10:16 PM
This is such a tragic event. My thoughts go out to Cory's family and friends. And honestly I doubt it was drugs, he had just come out of Rehab in March and it was reported that he was happy, healthy and back to normal. But I could be wrong.

We've lost an amazing performer and an inspiration to many. :(

Hikamaru
July 13th, 2013, 10:18 PM
I was never the biggest "Gleek" in the world but this is such a terrible tragedy, 31 is just way too young to die at, but I do know drug addiction is one of the leading causes of celebs dying at a very early age. I got familiar with Glee thanks to various magazine articles and stuff so I knew a lot about those characters despite not being a regular watcher.

I'm still wondering how this will affect the show, they might probably write Finn out of the series and make an excuse or something as to why he left. The cast of Glee would definitely suffer from this a lot.

Edit: oh, and nice tribute theme dragonomega.

Denny Hamlin
July 13th, 2013, 10:20 PM
I just got online to see such tragic news. Even though I am a season behind in the show, it still holds a true place in my heart. And he was one of my favorite performers. I can't process these feelings right now as I am in shock.

Rest in peace, Corey Monteith. You left this world too soon.

awolfsquared
July 13th, 2013, 10:21 PM
I'm not a fan of Glee, but I used to be. But even as a former fan of Glee, it's still sad. Heck even if I was never a fan, it would still be sad. Condolences to his friends and family, they're in my prayers.

Sanguine
July 13th, 2013, 10:34 PM
I'd watched Glee quite a bit and this actually makes me want to cry, urgh. I hope that his family are able to get through this, my thoughts go to them.

As dragonomega said, he had come out of rehab completely fine, but these things happen, I guess.

Leijon
July 13th, 2013, 10:42 PM
oh god. well, speaking as i am a total gleek, i am really saddened by this news :(

condolence to his family and friends, and may you rest in peace cory! ;-;

The Dark Avenger
July 13th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Another celebrity that was not able to win the battle of a drug addiction. It's so much more accessible to those with more expendable incomes, so that the issue doesn't seem so apparent given that drug addicts that are low/middle income often can't function normally and drive themselves into financial ruins, which then creates more of a hold on their actions. I mean, I can't say his death was drug related just yet, but generally, if he was continuing to struggle, it would be less obvious.

At least we can find solace in the fact of knowing his last 5-6 years of his life made an impact, and he was able to obtain career success that very few others every get to experience.

Peace Cory

Rest
July 13th, 2013, 11:29 PM
Going at 31 is just way too soon, even for anyone. Poor guy. His honest portrayal of Finn left an indelible impression on me. Condolences to his family and friends.

Sydian
July 13th, 2013, 11:33 PM
To make matters worse, he was set to marry Lea in two weeks. Just one more thing on my list of "things I can't handle tonight" ugh. That's got to be awful to deal with.

Perrie ✿
July 14th, 2013, 12:03 AM
Another celebrity that was not able to win the battle of a drug addiction. It's so much more accessible to those with more expendable incomes, so that the issue doesn't seem so apparent given that drug addicts that are low/middle income often can't function normally and drive themselves into financial ruins, which then creates more of a hold on their actions. I mean, I can't say his death was drug related just yet, but generally, if he was continuing to struggle, it would be less obvious.

At least we can find solace in the fact of knowing his last 5-6 years of his life made an impact, and he was able to obtain career success that very few others every get to experience.

Peace Cory

Except he wasn't struggling anymore. Many, many sources have stated that Cory had been coping well outside of rehab and that he was recovering brilliantly. Lea had stated many times that he's better as well as other people who had met him in the past few months.

Glee's executive producers released this statement.
"We are deeply saddened by this tragic news. Cory was an exceptional talent and an even more exceptional person. He was a true joy to work with and we will all miss him tremendously. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and loved ones."

Lea Michele found out over the phone and immediately broke down in tears, say sources. (trying to find the original article now)

Honestly though... what made me burst into tears was this tweet from Mark Salling;
http://24.media.tumblr.com/0fb77ce4d0275490e249c923aa0ee847/tumblr_mpwvvv0FHA1r4ezfzo1_500.png

Astinus
July 14th, 2013, 12:36 PM
I woke up early this morning and decided to quickly check Twitter, only to hear this news. It's truly heartbreaking. One of the many sad reactions I saw today was a girl on Twitter who said that she could never tell Cory just how happy he made her through his acting and just by being a decent guy.

Honestly, I have no idea how Glee is going to be now. Finn was such a central character since the first episode, and now he's not there. A lot of people have said that they're unsure if they can ever watch the show again, and I understand how they feel. I'm not sure how it's going to be for me personally, but it's going to be tough.

Already know I can't listen to any of my Glee CDs except for the only one he doesn't sing on.

Rest in peace, Cory. <3

Nuke
July 14th, 2013, 03:03 PM
I thought it was a hoax at first and even though I know it's true it's difficult to accept it has happened.

I'm a glee fan, not the biggest fan in the world, but I still watch every episode and Finn was undoubtedly my favourite character. So it's very saddening that Cory has died. R.I.P. My thoughts go to the Monteith family and his friends.

It won't sink in for a while.

Cherrim
July 14th, 2013, 05:31 PM
I don't watch Glee anymore but this makes me really sad. :( In every interview I used to read/see, he'd always seem so happy. His coactors and colleagues never had a bad word to say about him. I've never reeeally met him but I was front row at the second Glee tour and he constantly made a big effort to interact with the crowd, shake hands, and all that stuff when it really wasn't necessary. (There was a pretty big gap between the stage and the crowd so reaching out was difficult and not many bothered to attempt it! It was really cool to be so close to the actors so I've always really appreciated that he did.) He'd successfully gone through rehab earlier this year so I thought he was in the clear and I was so surprised when the news broke last night. They haven't released his cause of death yet but I think I'll be just as sad if it turns out to be relapse overdose compared to some unguessable cause. :(

;_; I hope everyone who held him close is coping alright. I'd heard rumours that he and Lea were engaged but at this point I'm pretty sure that's all they were. If it's true, it's just all the more devastating. He was way too young. It's so sad to see the rest of the cast reacting to the news and I can't imagine what's going through all their heads right now since they've always seemed so tight-knit.

I hope it's not too soon to sort of wonder what Glee will do without him? As I understand his characters was still pretty integral to the show. They'll have to acknowledge his leave somehow, right? Admittedly I don't watch much TV so I don't actually know what they do in situations like this when an actor passes away.

Antemortem
July 15th, 2013, 09:48 PM
I only knew this because my tumblr (and his tumblr, her tumblr, their tumblr, everyone's tumblr) exploded the day of and after it was announced. I personally didn't really know the guy, because I've never seen Glee apart from a single episode. However, I tend to emotionally connect with someone after I find out what their role in whatever they were in was, and when I read he was, like, one of the main main characters, I cracked and got sad for some reason.

I don't know, it doesn't affect me much, though now I want to start watching Glee from the beginning and as soon as I see him I'll probably shed some emotions and want to keep watching and ;__; I am curious as to how the show will handle his sudden death, especially since a new season is on the horizon.

YamiNoBlade Twihiki Amias
July 16th, 2013, 09:00 AM
As someone who loved Glee, hearing about Cory Monteith's passing was saddening.
He was a great and inspirational actor. I hope that Lea will be alright, seeing as her Fiancee just passed away, she must've been terrified to death, that poor girl. :<

RIP Cory Monteith~ :<

Perrie ✿
July 16th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Lea and Cory weren't engaged fyi, people thought they were but sources have confirmed they had not taken that step yet. It still doesn't reduce the pain though from us or Lea...

And Cory's results are out... he died from a lethal overdose of heroin and alcohol.

(if anyone says anything bad i will strike u down)

Dakota
July 16th, 2013, 02:18 PM
-sigh- That's the thing about drugs. Relapse is an issue way too often. I don't know what to think, honestly. I feel bad. Terrible for Lea and for anyone close to him. But I'm also shaking my head at the revelation it was heroine and alcohol that took his life away. Well, at least he did try to get clean, and that's something I suppose I respect.

I only watched Glee once, maybe twice. I don't remember his character. But I know many people did, and it's really sad that he passed away. RIP Cory.

Nuke
July 16th, 2013, 02:23 PM
For some reason, I'd never imagined Cory taking heroin because it just seems that little bit worse than other hard drugs. I mean it's hard to imagine him as a drug taker at all even though it has been a problem throughout his life, but still.

It doesn't change anything though. I must admit this is still crossing my mind unlike any other celebrity death that has happened which all just provoked a 'R.I.P.' and little further consideration. Maybe it's a bit more important to me than I thought.

Hypocrates
July 16th, 2013, 02:33 PM
I'm still sceptical about the drug overdose scenario to be honest. He just got out of rehab a few weeks prior to this incident.

I am not a Glee fan, but this is a tragic lost as his acting was very good and he was just a very inspirational man. May he rest in peace.

Sydian
July 16th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Of course Westboro Baptists Church tweeted some harsh rude **** about this. The tweets seem to be deleted now, but it was absolutely disgusting. You can't be in your right mind to say what they said.

If you're wondering, they tweeted to Lea that they hope she kills herself so that she and Cory can marry in hell where they were destined. It's gone now, but I really hope she didn't see that. You have to be seriously ****ed in the head to ever say that to anyone.

Hypocrates
July 16th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Of course Westboro Baptists Church tweeted some harsh rude **** about this. The tweets seem to be deleted now, but it was absolutely disgusting. You can't be in your right mind to say what they said.

If you're wondering, they tweeted to Lea that they hope she kills herself so that she and Cory can marry in hell where they were destined. It's gone now, but I really hope she didn't see that. You have to be seriously ****ed in the head to ever say that to anyone.

That is just...appalling. I can't think of anything to describe those words.

It's a good thing his funeral will be in Canada, that way they can't picket it.