PDA

View Full Version : Emmy Nominations Are In!

Rest
July 18th, 2013, 05:53 AM
Emmy nominations are in, and I just had a minor heart attack!

DRAMA

BEST DRAMA SERIES
"Breaking Bad"
"Downton Abbey"
"Game of Thrones"
"Homeland"
"House of Cards"
"Mad Men"

BEST DRAMA ACTOR
Hugh Bonneville, "Downton Abbey"
Bryan Cranston, "Breaking Bad"
Jeff Daniels, "The Newsroom"
Jon Hamm, "Mad Men"
Damian Lewis, "Homeland"
Kevin Spacey, "House of Cards"

BEST DRAMA ACTRESS
Connie Britton, "Nashville"
Claire Danes, "Homeland"
Michelle Dockery, "Downton Abbey"
Vera Farmiga, "Bates Motel"
Elisabeth Moss, "Mad Men"
Kerry Washington, "Scandal"
Robin Wright, "House of Cards"

BEST DRAMA SUPPORTING ACTOR
Jonathan Banks, "Breaking Bad"
Bobby Cannavale, "Boardwalk Empire"
Jim Carter, "Downton Abbey"
Peter Dinklage, "Game of Thrones"
Mandy Patinkin, "Homeland"
Aaron Paul, "Breaking Bad"

BEST DRAMA SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Morena Baccarin, "Homeland"
Christine Baranski, "The Good Wife"
Emilia Clarke, "Game of Thrones"
Anna Gunn, "Breaking Bad"
Christina Hendricks, "Mad Men"
Maggie Smith, "Downton Abbey"

BEST DRAMA GUEST ACTOR
Dan Bucatinsky, "Scandal"
Michael J. Fox, "The Good Wife"
Rupert Friend, "Homeland"
Harry Hamlin, "Mad Men"
Nathan Lane, "The Good Wife"
Robert Morse, "Mad Men"

BEST DRAMA GUEST ACTRESS
Linda Cardellini, "Mad Men"
Joan Cusack, "Shameless"
Jane Fonda, "The Newsroom"
Margo Martindale, "The Americans"
Carrie Preston, "The Good Wife"
Diana Rigg, "Game of Thrones"

COMEDY

BEST COMEDY SERIES
"The Big Bang Theory"
"Girls"
"Louis"
"Modern Family"
"30 Rock"
"Veep"

BEST COMEDY ACTOR
Alec Baldwin, "30 Rock"
Jason Bateman, "Arrested Development"
Don Cheadle, "House of Lies"
Louis C.K., "Louie"
Matt LeBlanc, "Episodes"
Jim Parsons, "The Big Bang Theory"

BEST COMEDY ACTRESS
Laura Dern, "Enlightened"
Lena Dunham, "Girls"
Edie Falco, "Nurse Jackie"
Tina Fey, "30 Rock"
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, "Veep"
Amy Poehler, "Parks and Recreation"

BEST COMEDY SUPPORTING ACTOR
Ty Burrell, "Modern Family"
Adam Driver, "Girls"
Jesse Tyler Ferguson, "Modern Family"
Bill Hader, "Saturday Night Live"
Tony Hale, "Veep"
Ed O'Neill, "Modern Family"

BEST COMEDY SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Mayim Bialik, "The Big Bang Theory"
Julie Bowen, "Modern Family"
Anna Chlumsky, "Veep"
Jane Krakowski, "30 Rock"
Jane Lynch, "Glee"
Sofia Vergara, "Modern Family"
Merritt Wever, "Nurse Jackie"

BEST COMEDY GUEST ACTOR
Louie C.K., "Saturday Night Live"
Bobby Cannavale, "Nurse Jackie"
Will Forte, "30 Rock"
Nathan Lane, "Modern Family"
Bob Newhart, "The Big Bang Theory"
Justin Timberlake, "Saturday Night Live"

BEST COMEDY GUEST ACTRESS
Dot-Marie Jones, "Glee"
Melissa Leo, "Louie"
Melissa McCarthy, "Saturday Night Live"
Molly Shannon, "Enlightened"
Elaine Stritch, "30 Rock"
Kristin Wiig, "Saturday Night Live"

TV MOVIE/MINISERIES

BEST TV MOVIE/MINISERIES
"American Horror Story: Asylum"
"Behind the Candelabra"
"The Bible"
"Phil Spector"
"Political Animals"
"Top of the Lake"

BEST TV MOVIE/MINISERIES ACTOR
Benedict Cumberbatch, "Parade's End"
Matt Damon, "Behind the Candelabra"
Michael Douglas, "Behind the Candelabra"
Toby Jones, "The Girl"
Al Pacino, "Phil Spector"

BEST TV MOVIE/MINISERIES ACTRESS
Jessica Lange, "American Horror Story: Asylum"
Laura Linney, "The Big C: Hereafter"
Helen Mirren, "Phil Spector"
Elisabeth Moss, "Top of the Lake"
Sigourney Weaver, "Political Animals"

BEST TV MOVIE/MINISERIES SUPPORTING ACTOR
Scott Bakula, "Behind the Candelabra"
James Cromwell, "American Horror Story: Asylum"
John Benjamin Hickey, "The Big C: Hereafter"
Peter Mullan, "Top of the Lake"
Zachary Quinto, "American Horror Story: Asylum"

BEST TV MOVIE/MINISERIES SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Ellen Burstyn, "Political Animals"
Sarah Paulson, "American Horror Story: Asylum"
Charlotte Rampling, "Restless"
Imelda Staunton, "The Girl"
Alfre Woodard, "Steel Magnolias"

REALITY

BEST REALITY-COMPETITION PROGRAM
"The Amazing Race"
"Dancing with the Stars"
"Project Runway"
"So You Think You Can Dance"
"Top Chef"
"The Voice"

BEST REALITY HOST
Tom Bergeron, "Dancing With The Stars"
Anthony Bourdain, "The Taste"
Cat Deeley, "So You Think You Can Dance"
Heidi Klum & Tim Gunn, "Project Runway"
Ryan Seacrest, "American Idol"
Betty White, "Betty White's Off Their Rockers"

VARIETY

BEST VARIETY SERIES
"The Colbert Report"
"The Daily Show"
"Jimmy Kimmel Live"
"Late Night With Jimmy Fallon"
"Real Time with Bill Maher"
"Saturday Night Live"

Full list of nominations : link (http://www.emmys.com/nominations).

Thoughts?

Guy
July 18th, 2013, 06:20 AM
I'm incredibly upset over the fact that Tatiana Maslany (Orphan Black) didn't receive a nomination for Best Drama Actress; probably the biggest snub of the year. I'm not entirely surprised that she didn't get it ─ Orphan Black is under the science fiction genre ─ but she plays SEVEN different characters on the same show. Someone so talented who can do that and bring life to so many different roles at the same time is someone worthy of recognition.

It's disappointing the panel decided not to give her a nomination but could give Connie Britton a nomination for her role on Nashville. Connie Britton is a talented actress, don't get me wrong, but her character on Nashville (Rayna James) and the material she was given to work with this past season was just so bland. Honestly, if anyone from Nashville should have gotten a nomination it should have been Hayden Panettiere for Best Drama Supporting Actress. Her work as Juliette was some of her best work as an actress yet.

Another snub I'm disappointed about would be for Monica Potter from Parenthood. She brought so much heart and emotion in this season of Parenthood and the storyline for her was just so outstanding that it should be a crime she didn't get recognized. Then again, Parenthood has been going on for five seasons now and the Emmy panel has failed to ever recognize its pure brilliance, so I'm not sure what that show has to do to get some Emmy love.

It's always the same with the Emmys. Rinse and repeat.

Rest
July 18th, 2013, 06:46 AM
snip

Maslany and Potter's snubs are unfortunate but perhaps foreseeable. I love Maslany and hoped she'd be able to break through her show's genre barrier + the flood of new contenders in her field but alas. As for Potter, she had a lot of traction prior to tonight. It's a shame she didn't get in over the likes of Christina Hendricks, Christine Baranski and (the worst offender of them all) Morena Baccarin.

Lotsa crazy snubs and nominations, but Corey Stoll not getting in is BAD BAD BAD.

Manila Luzon
July 18th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Glee deserve none of their emmy noms in terms of acting tbh. Jane and Dot have done nothing emmy worthy this season... They do have a nomination for directing though which they submitted "Diva" which imo, was a brilliantly directed episode so they could have a chance and they also have a nomination for the make-up category for "Guilty Pleasures" which idg really.

Cassino
July 21st, 2013, 12:48 AM
Why would genre affect one's nomination; why are there only 'drama' and 'comedy'?

Mr Cat Dog
July 21st, 2013, 05:42 AM
Why would genre affect one's nomination; why are there only 'drama' and 'comedy'?
So as to give similar shows an opportunity to compete against each other as opposed to the entirety of television. As well as drama/comedy categories, there's also variety, miniseries, reality, animation and I'm probably forgetting a few as well. Judging an episode of Mad Men, for example, against an episode of The Simpsons on craft is a very dicey proposition. It sometimes results in very arbitrary shenanigans: for example, American Horror Story submits itself as a 'miniseries' when it's anything but, and a lot of the comedies nominated (Girls, Enlightened) could easily fit in the Drama category. But it's mostly for good... I think.

Anyhoo, this was sort of what I was expecting, but with a few nice surprises thrown in. First: HOLYJEEZLOUISE LAURA DERN GOT A NOMINATION FOR ENLIGHTENED!!! I didn't think anyone apart from me watched that show and for it to get a nom for Molly Shannon as well was all kinds of great. Second, no writing or directing nominations for Mad Men is verrrrrry interesting, and implies that it's not going to be winning Best Drama Series again this year. Also interesting: the rise of Homeland, especially given how tepidly received that show's second season was (the latter half, mostly). As much as I was disappointed in Maslany not being nominated, it was always going to be Britton and Washington nominated above her: that's disappointing but not surprising.

Rest
July 21st, 2013, 01:29 PM
Laura Dern's one of my favourite nominees this year. I thought she was excellent in Enlightened's stellar second season. I clapped so hard during the nomination announcement ceremony, my hands went numb for a minute or two. I don't know if she can win (Julia Louis-Dreyfus was consistently terrific in Veep, and I think the funniest of the three HBO ladies nominated here), but Dern's dramedic performance is something that really sticks with you. I was hoping against hope to see Luke Wilson in the Supporting race and Mike White in Writing, but Molly Shannon was a delightful surprise too. She proved to be a great foil to high-strung, neurotic Tyler.

Apart from Enlightened, I'm also delighted by the increased support in Veep. I really didn't think the show was going to get any recognition in the acting categories apart from Louis-Dreyfus, so imagine my surprise to see not one, but two additional nominations for Tony Hale and Anna Chlumsky in the supporting categories, both very capable members of Veep's ensemble.

Also, ugh, so awesome to see both Peter Dinklage and Bobby Cannavale nominated together in the same category. Both guys worked together on one of my favourite films The Station Agent and I'd love to see them interact in one way or another during Emmy night. Patinkin and Banks gave fine performances in their respective shows but I loved Cannavale as flamboyant Gyp in Boardwalk Empire. He gets my vote.

Both Parker Posey and David Lynch were robbed of their nominations for Louie. And Corey Stoll. Goddamnit NATAS, you nominate Robin Wright and then just happen to forget all of Stoll's great scenes on House of Cards? Infuriating.

Cassino
July 25th, 2013, 05:37 PM
So as to give similar shows an opportunity to compete against each other as opposed to the entirety of television. As well as drama/comedy categories, there's also variety, miniseries, reality, animation and I'm probably forgetting a few as well. Judging an episode of Mad Men, for example, against an episode of The Simpsons on craft is a very dicey proposition. It sometimes results in very arbitrary shenanigans: for example, American Horror Story submits itself as a 'miniseries' when it's anything but, and a lot of the comedies nominated (Girls, Enlightened) could easily fit in the Drama category. But it's mostly for good... I think.
But it doesn't seem to include every genre, like the science fiction mentioned earlier, unless the categories are more inclusive than I expect..?

Stormbringer
July 25th, 2013, 08:42 PM
I'd like to see Breaking Bad go out with a bang and collect some hardware. Best Drama category is stacked though. And it's pretty cool to see some of Netflix's stuff on here - I loved House of Cards, personally. The future, perhaps?

Mr Cat Dog
July 27th, 2013, 02:31 AM
But it doesn't seem to include every genre, like the science fiction mentioned earlier, unless the categories are more inclusive than I expect..?
Sci-fi normally falls under drama, but normally doesn't get recognised as much due to biases against the genre. Off the top of my head, Battlestar Galactica received a few Drama nominations back in the day. The same goes for fantasy, for the most part, but Game of Thrones seems to be the exception. Put simply, pretty much the entirety of TV can be nominated but biases in voting normally result in a very narrow selection.