PDA

View Full Version : Overrated/Underrated games

JayTheKing
July 19th, 2013, 05:55 AM
Which games do you think are overrated and which underrated?

Overrated:Legend of zelda.Every single legend of zelda game that gets released for a console gets such a huge applause and is always one of the games with the highest rate in the system.
I cant understand how a game like order of ecclesia gets a lower score than Phantom Hourglass.
What does it lack?

Underrated:Kid Icarus Uprising.People give this game hard time due to its controls.The controls work just great!The only think you might want to change is how the touch screen responds to the stylus

Urugamosu
July 19th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Overrated - Call of Duty
Every year, we see that same shooter pop up in our stores... I wish they at least spiced it up a bit.

Underrated - Earthbound
Honestly, this was a truly magnificent game worthy in my books of being the best of SNES.

Spartacus
July 19th, 2013, 07:35 AM
I think that the recent Call of Duty games are quite heavily overrated. Personally, I am a fan of most CoD games, but that doesn't mean that they can't be overrated. The developers make the game extremely similar to the previous, and there are no significant changes to the games, either. There are things to complain about every year about the game and I don't think that it deserves the popularity it currently possesses.

And for an underrated game, I'm going for another FPS; Battlefield 3. This game gets much more stick than it should in comparison to other FPS games. The graphics, if your console has the right capabilities, are pretty darn amazing, you won't find more real graphics in a shooter than in Battlefield. I use the word real to describe the graphics, it can also be used to describe the gameplay. It's fairly accurate in terms of reality, obviously nothing can be very close to reality in terms of gaming at this stage but this game seems to be one of those that will get there sooner than many other franchises that aim for realism. In general, way more people should be in love with this game. I am aware that it is fairly popular among FPS fans, but not too much in terms of gamers who prefer other genres.

KriegStein
July 19th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Overrated:Legend of zelda.Every single legend of zelda game that gets released for a console gets such a huge applause and is always one of the games with the highest rate in the system.
I cant understand how a game like order of ecclesia gets a lower score than Phantom Hourglass.
What does it lack?

I agree with you mostly. The zelda series is hyped to no end these days. (and the days before and so on)
Funny thing is I played them all still. And much to my suprise I liked Twilight Princes and Skyward Sword the best (If I understood my friend, these two are considered the "worst" zelda games)

And as for order of Ecclesia I guess its because so few people own it or have played it. (Meaning less reviews etc)
Sadly its one of the best castlevania games released in a while.

I dont consider many games underrated but hmm... I guess I could say Sonic Heroes?
Let me explain quickly... The game IS broken but also it has some redeeming qualities. Namely the awesome soundtrack. Actualy I could say almost every new sonic is underrated in terms of music. Sadly I guess good music isnt enough. Since if the game is unplayable it just is...

Also I could say Rayman series gets next to no hype. (atleast what ive seen) I mean the first three games are great platformers (I would argue that Rayman 2 the great escape is my favourite platformer ever) and Origins is also a lot of fun to play.

machomuu
July 19th, 2013, 08:27 AM
And much to my suprise I liked Twilight Princes and Skyward Sword the best (If I understood my friend, these two are considered the "worst" zelda games)

By who? People called Twilight Princess the best Zelda since Ocarina of Time, and Skyward Sword wasn't considered that bad, it just had a lot of filler. The ones that are considered the worst are Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

KriegStein
July 19th, 2013, 08:38 AM
By who? People called Twilight Princess the best Zelda since Ocarina of Time, and Skyward Sword wasn't considered that bad, it just had a lot of filler. The ones that are considered the worst are Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

Realy? Ive only heard a complete trashing of TP and SS. (Although gamefaqs and Metacritic are higly unreliable sources) Well now I feel a bit better. :D
EDIT: Also my friends dislike these two for some reason... No idea why.

Spartacus
July 19th, 2013, 12:12 PM
I have to agree with the fact that both Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess were both really good Zelda games. I also agree with the fact they are overrated. An overrated game doesn't mean it's a bad game. All games will get bad reviews from time to time because there are critics that want to stand out and be different, so there will always be trash about games thrown around.

ShadowE
July 19th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Overrated: Ofc this has to be Call of Duty. Every year the same friggin game over and over again... I barely see any development and soon or late this formula will die and other games will be more popluar than CoD. Its all focused on the multiplayer and the story is just rubbish from MW2 onwards (MW3 was really rubbish that i instantly sold it after i bought it a few months ago)

Underrated: Midnight Club: Los Angeles... this game... unlike NFS has the ability to let your mind free on everything. Tho the waypoint-racing system sometimes annoy me, the creativity you can have on vinyls is amazing... If it only had more customization options for the body of the car this game would have been amazing. Barely see anyone play this game and everyone prefers NFS, but i love MCLA cause of the vinyl editor... I did some crazy things with it... and i regret nothing

Freezer
July 19th, 2013, 01:56 PM
I don't like OoT that much but I think it's place as one of the best games of all time is well deserved. If you consider the time it was released it was revolutionary, shaping the adventure genre as we know it today. The game design also allowed it to stand the test of time, and every other dated issues (models, textures, frame rate) has been addressed by the 3DS version.

Anyway, I don't like calling a game overrated, but I honestly do think some games get praised far too much into hyperbolic levels despite being good games but not god tier ones. That includes Yoshi's Island, Vanquish, 999, Uncharted, Super Mario World, Little Big Planet, Spyro, Pokemon, Donkey Kong Country 1 and Fire Emblem Awakening...OK the latter 2 are definitely overrated because they're not good, but at least DKC1 has the distinction of being revolutionary instead of an overhyped niche.

As for underrated...I'll cover this in a later post maybe. I'll just say if there's one underrated game it's definitely Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat.

EDIT: OK, why do every single thread similar to this has CoD or FPSs as the answer in every response. :/

ShadowE
July 19th, 2013, 02:06 PM
I don't like OoT that much but I think it's place as one of the best games of all time is well deserved. If you consider the time it was released it was revolutionary, shaping the adventure genre as we know it today. The game design also allowed it to stand the test of time, and every other dated issues (models, textures, frame rate) has been addressed by the 3DS version.

Anyway, I don't like calling a game overrated, but I honestly do think some games get praised far too much into hyperbolic levels despite being good games but not god tier ones. That includes Yoshi's Island, Vanquish, 999, Uncharted, Super Mario World, Little Big Planet, Spyro, Pokemon, Donkey Kong Country 1 and Fire Emblem Awakening...OK the latter 2 are definitely overrated because they're not good, but at least DKC1 has the distinction of being revolutionary instead of an overhyped niche.

As for underrated...I'll cover this in a later post maybe. I'll just say if there's one underrated game it's definitely Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat.

EDIT: OK, why do every single thread similar to this has CoD or FPSs as the answer in every response. :/

Well i can prove a answer to this, and i can be entirely wrong or right, but its the community that ruins the game. And if you cant enjoy the multiplayer in that game cause of the community you wanna have a addicting campaign, which CoD doesnt have for a long, long time. The communities behind all these games created the hate amongst FPS games in my opinion

White Glint
July 19th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Just wanna toss out an honorable mention to the YS series for being really Underrated. It's a really fun...what, RPGesque game? Not many people have heard of it either. Kinda saddens me.

Miss Doronjo
July 19th, 2013, 02:12 PM

In general, I guess you can compare FPS games like CoD to the New York Yankees - they're probably one of the most loved, and hated genres of video games of all time. Well, that's my guess, anyway.

Anyway, um:

Overrated; I dunno, I don't really have a solid answer for this. Skyrim? CoD?

Underrated: Auto Destruct, Mana Khermia, and the Naruto Ninja Storm games. They're pretty awesome to play, in my opinion!

White Glint
July 19th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Underrated: Auto Destruct, Mana Khermia, and the Naruto Ninja Storm games. They're pretty awesome to play, in my opinion!

Ahh, Mana Khermia. Good catch, wasn't expecting someone to know that. I guess I'll just throw out the Agarest series, as well as Armored Core as underrated.

IMO though, Ninja Storm is only underrated due to the fact that the game only really appeals to the Naruto fanbase, because as a fighting game, it's not....up to par with the others, but again, that's just my unpopular FGC based opinion.

Freezer
July 19th, 2013, 02:15 PM
It's less of "why do people hate them so much" and more like "why do people pick the obvious answer". It doesn't help that a lot of people already hate them and call them overrated every chance they get, or simply put, it's a loud minority which is pretty redundant at this point.

Maybe I'm just looking for controversial opinions but when a thread is full of responses of the same answer it just feels like a repeat.

EDIT: Speaking if FGC opinions. I don't know if UMvC3 is underrated or overrated, not counting streams. lol

Spartacus
July 19th, 2013, 02:17 PM
In general, I guess you can compare FPS games like CoD to the New York Yankees - they're probably one of the most loved, and hated genres of video games of all time. Well, that's my guess, anyway.

I agree, people tend to pick out games such as CoD because it is a stand out example of a game people love or hate. Plus, many people play FPS games so it is very likely that you will see one being mentioned frequently around here. Normally, the popular ones that a lot of people play are more discussed since more people play it and so it is talked about fairly widely.

R.F.
July 19th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Overrated: the Persona games, seriously. I mean Atlus is really good in creating games and it's a new concept, but...everybody hates doing homework and going to school. Yet everybody seems to love playing games where you have to go to school and do your homework (which seems to be mostly japanese stuff). It's a nice concept with the Persona creation, but why a dating sims game?
Also all the Sims games.

Underrated: the Castlevania games for NDS and Radiant Historia (from the creators of the Persona games). It was a real fun to play any of these games.

White Glint
July 19th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Honestly though, you'd think with all the CoD comments, you'd expect to see Marvel VS Capcom 3 or...iunno, Battlefield on the list.

waitingforsomeonetosayHalfLife, comeonguys

ShadowE
July 19th, 2013, 02:24 PM
I agree, people tend to pick out games such as CoD because it is a stand out example of a game people love or hate. Plus, many people play FPS games so it is very likely that you will see one being mentioned frequently around here. Normally, the popular ones that a lot of people play are more discussed since more people play it and so it is talked about fairly widely.

Excactly, FPS are one of the popular genres. Everytime i log in on my PS3 and look at my friends list 9 out of 12 people are playing a FPS game... Its easier to discuss about them since they are so popular and played a lot... I dont think you can easily say a game is overrated if not much people play it

Talli
July 20th, 2013, 02:16 AM
Don't hate me: but I think Minecraft is over-rated, I tried it last night and got bored after my work was destoryed.. It is just LEGO! on the computer big deal.

I think Mario Party 8 is under rated as it gets so much hate, when it is the best one in my opinion. it added the best character as a unlockable- Hammer bro and so many themed boards.

Spartacus
July 20th, 2013, 05:36 AM
I think Minecraft isn't either underrated or overrated, though it can be seen as one of them quite easily. People that play the game all the time, know everything/a lot about the game think it is underrated. But people who haven't played it much, haven't used mods, haven't seen the game to it's full potential think it's overrated. Honestly, I used to be the guy that thought it was overrated when I bought it, I didn't really know what to do and so I was bored playing it but then I saw people play it, how they did things, what you had to do and I got into it and now I'm one of those people who can sometimes call it underrated.

Dreg
July 20th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Just wanna toss out an honorable mention to the YS series for being really Underrated. It's a really fun...what, RPGesque game? Not many people have heard of it either. Kinda saddens me.

Oh god yes. Ys was one of the first games I played on my old Sega Master System when I was about 4.

Overrated Games:
Call of Duty, considering a megaton of people play this all around the world. I remember when it first came out, I liked it, but then started to not like it at all.

Final Fantasy, I see this series of games quite a lot, and a lot of people that I know play these all the time. I've never played it.

Underrated Games:
High Seas Havoc, considering this game had the style of Sonic, but a great game to enjoy. I think it was underrated because of how insanely difficult the game was.

Rayman, this was an absolute classic when I first got it, but I don't think many people played the game. This game had to be one of those lost diamonds in the rough.

TreeKangaroo
July 21st, 2013, 02:56 AM
Well since CoD has been mentioned a ton of times here, I'll leave that one alone.

Overrated-Skyrim, I love this game, but I think it gets way too much hype. It's fun, but it gets repetitive will the sidequests.
ZELDA- Everybody says they have great stories but I don't really agree(Other than a few like Majora and OoT) The music was good though, I'll admit.
Final Fantasy- I don't get what's so good about these games. I played it but couldn't finish it because I found it boring.
Underrated
Kirby series(maybe except like return to dreamland) I've always liked these games because they were fun and cute.(scary at times like 02 fro example) Everybody found these games to be dumb because your main character is a pink blob. But it can eat enemies and steal their abilities!
Honorable mentions for underraed: Okami(den), touhou, earthbound(I...feel...happy...).

Spartacus
July 21st, 2013, 03:27 AM
Well since CoD has been mentioned a ton of times here, I'll leave that one alone.

Overrated-Skyrim, I love this game, but I think it gets way too much hype. It's fun, but it gets repetitive will the sidequests.
ZELDA- Everybody says they have great stories but I don't really agree(Other than a few like Majora and OoT) The music was good though, I'll admit.
Final Fantasy- I don't get what's so good about these games. I played it but couldn't finish it because I found it boring.
Underrated
Kirby series(maybe except like return to dreamland) I've always liked these games because they were fun and cute.(scary at times like 02 fro example) Everybody found these games to be dumb because your main character is a pink blob. But it can eat enemies and steal their abilities!
Honorable mentions for underraed: Okami(den), touhou, earthbound(I...feel...happy...).
Do you mean doing the side quests? You can just free roam and do things out of your own will if you like, without doing a quest.

Final Fantasy, I agree, I can't seem to get into it and the way people talk about it so passionately sometimes, it gets me confused. I see it as just and RPG with a bit of a touch to it which most people like but I can't quite get why.

TreeKangaroo
July 21st, 2013, 01:29 PM
Do you mean doing the side quests? You can just free roam and do things out of your own will if you like, without doing a quest.

Final Fantasy, I agree, I can't seem to get into it and the way people talk about it so passionately sometimes, it gets me confused. I see it as just and RPG with a bit of a touch to it which most people like but I can't quite get why.

Wow my previous post had like 5 million typos.

I just got lost really easily so I decided to do sidequesting but then it got really boring.(I managed to finish it though!)
YES. The way people talked about FF seemed encouraging to me I tried it and didn't like it. At all to be honest.

Freezer
July 21st, 2013, 02:48 PM
Hold on let me get this out of the way.

Overrated doesn't mean something you don't like that others do. That goes to its respective thread. Overrated means something that gets more praise than it deserves, and you'll probably need to state why. Saying "I don't like it it and I don't understand why others do, so therefore it's overrated" means you're posting in the wrong thread.

It's actually why I don't get the CoD responses. It's overrated because a lot of people play it? I never saw anyone say it's the best game ever and saying the games aren't enjoyable is just plain wrong because they ARE good games. Maybe it's not for you, but then it's not overrated.

Underrated is quite the opposite, but a lot of games mentioned here are far from underrated. An underrated game isn't a game you like that only few played, that would be an overlooked game. An underrated game is a game that got mixed/poor critical reception but you think it deserves more than that. Let me give an example. I love F-Zero GX, it's one of my favorite games, but VERY few played that game. Is it underrated? No, it was very positively received, heralded as one of the best arcade racers. So things like Kirby (huh??), Ys, Rayman, Okami, etc are far from overrated because they get nothing but praises by critics and the likes. An underrated game would be...maybe NSMBU. It sold pretty damn well, but it's a subject of a lot of hate because it's a "rehash". It was slightly positively received by critics, but fans hated it. It's underrated because it got that response despite being (arguably) the best 2D Mario.

White Glint
July 21st, 2013, 05:18 PM
It's actually why I don't get the CoD responses. It's overrated because a lot of people play it? I never saw anyone say it's the best game ever and saying the games aren't enjoyable is just plain wrong because they ARE good games. Maybe it's not for you, but then it's not overrated.

Well, that's probably why CoD gets targeted in particular, because a (good?) portion of the gaming community feels that it's nothing more than a skillless shooter, yet people still shell out for a new one every 6-8 months. So this could work both ways. Say for instance, people go "Oh, well, not many people play Battlefield as compared to CoD, therefore it's underrated", even though a lot of people regard it as "better than CoD".

Then again, I don't care for the series in general, so my comment can be regarded as moot.

Gogofreak
July 25th, 2013, 12:27 PM
I can't really name any games I think are overrated, but I think one that is underrated is Touhou Project. Touhou Project's music is simply amazing!

Jupiter
July 25th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Overrated: I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon and say Call of Duty.

Underrated: Mirror's Edge, all the Ratchet and Clank games, Donkey Kong 64, Earthbound.

All fun, underrated games in my opinion.

Freezer
July 25th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Earthbound? Mirror's Edge? RATCHET AND CLANK? Underrated?

Earthbound and Mirror's Edge are overlooked, sure, but far from underrated. R&C isn't even overlooked, it's actually a milked series.

Spartacus
July 25th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Overrated: I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon and say Call of Duty.

Underrated: Mirror's Edge, all the Ratchet and Clank games, Donkey Kong 64, Earthbound.

All fun, underrated games in my opinion.
I'm sorry, but I have to strongly disagree with the two things I have highlighted. Mirror's Edge is not underrated one bit, I might have a slight idea on why you would think so, but it should generally not be classed there. Ratchet and Clank; Spino's caps lock says it all.

Actually, looking back at what you have said generally, all the games you have labeled underrated shouldn't really be. DK is a bit of an exception, because there are probably more things to say that would tell us it is an underrated game over anything else. Earthbound, there are actually more reasons to state that this is an overrated game than it is underrated.

Jupiter
July 25th, 2013, 02:41 PM
-Mirror's Edge was given sub-par reviews by a lot of people. The game was hyped about, but it disappointed a lot of people and was passed over by many.
-I admit, the Ratchet and Clank series isn't too underrated. (Maybe the earlier games?) My choice is probably owing to nostalgia.
-I'm standing by my original opinion of DK64 being underrated.
-Earthbound was fairly underrated when it was first released, but people have come to accept it more over the years.

just my opinion, don't kill me

Spartacus
July 25th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Nothing wrong with what you have said. You are entitled to your opinion and what we are all saying may or may not be correct. It's just that I disagree with some of the decisions you have made and you are standing by them, leads to a good discussion. :)

Mirror's Edge for me is still not underrated, though. I've seen many good reviews and such about it and I've been looking around at what people said about the game and I still don't think it's underrated.

TreeKangaroo
July 25th, 2013, 06:29 PM

I'm different on CoD, I don't really despise the games, it's just the trolls on youtube(mainly on chuggaaconroy's channel) that bug me.

Random(not reply to spinosaurus) but has anyone here played(of ever heard of) age of the empires? it's awesome.

PokeChris123
July 25th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Overated: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, The Walking Dead,
Underrated: Gravity Rush, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Sonic Generations 3DS

I've heard a lot of people talking about New Leaf and The walking Dead (especially since the new dlc came out).

From what I hear, the underrated games I listed, in my opinion, are better then what people say they are. Gravity Rush and Sonic Generations 3DS is loads of fun, and Uncharted: Golden Abyss is just as good as the first Uncharted (which is really good).

JayTheKing
July 26th, 2013, 04:39 AM
Overated: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, The Walking Dead,
Underrated: Gravity Rush, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Sonic Generations 3DS

I've heard a lot of people talking about New Leaf and The walking Dead (especially since the new dlc came out).

From what I hear, the underrated games I listed, in my opinion, are better then what people say they are. Gravity Rush and Sonic Generations 3DS is loads of fun, and Uncharted: Golden Abyss is just as good as the first Uncharted (which is really good).

Huh?I thought many people love Gravity Rush.

Kingdom of Tea
July 26th, 2013, 05:01 AM
Overrated: 90% of FPS's, including: COD, Halo and Mass Effect.

Underrated: Classics like DK64, The Mask (For SNES) and Ty the Tasmanian Tiger.

PokeChris123
July 26th, 2013, 05:15 AM
Huh?I thought many people love Gravity Rush.

From what I seen, Gravity Rush has received low scores and such. But I guess that doesn't stop people from liking the game.

Actor
July 26th, 2013, 05:29 AM
Random(not reply to spinosaurus) but has anyone here played(of ever heard of) age of the empires? it's awesome.
I remember playing the second one on the PC during break time in my middle school. Really good RTS, plus I heard that the steam HD version is pretty good.

+1. I think It's just bandwagon hating, so much so that anything which people hate because it is popular, I like to call the COD effect.

As for the topic on hand:

Overrated: Super Mario 3D Land (I found it a lazy rehash of old ideas in a, apparently, "NU 3D WALD". One of the main reasons for my recently gone 3DS buyers remorse (because animal crossing)), Super Mario Galaxy (It was too linear and the controls were awkward (Sorry, but I really hate the Wii Mote + Nunchuck for pretty much everything)), Pokemon Black/White (Not going into why because I would be here all day, but mostly due to critic reviews. (WTF at 9.0 IGN review.))

Underrated: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games (Apart from Gates to Infinty, which sucked), Viva Pinata, Costume Quest and a bunch of steam games you've never heard of.

#parenthesisabuse

White Glint
July 26th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Gravity Rush isn't underrated, per se. Just not too many people happen to own a Vita enough to care. I'd like to say that like, 60% of the vita owners own Graffity Rush. It's probably a big portion of why Kat is in PSASBR. But...that's just my two cents.

Keizaal
July 28th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Overrated: COD like everyone else was saying. and Halo. It was only mentioned once but it needs to be mentioned more. It gets WAY too much hype than it deserves. I spent $60 on Halo 4 because my friend wanted to play Multiplayer with me. I played it, tried to like it, didn't, never played it since. Waste of money,

I agree that Skyrim is a bit overrated.I love the game, it's one of my favorites, but it does get a ittle too much hype. The game was released in 2011 and I see TOO MANY people complaining that Bethesda stopped making DLC for it. We have 3 DLC's already and a lot of Skyrim players are on PC, so they have unlimited mods. So they shouldn't be complaining. Bethesda can now focus on their other projects.

Underrated: Oblivion. Sure it was popular when it came out (2005) but I see people hating on the game and refusing to touch it becasue it "has worse graphics than Skyrim". You wouldn't believe how many people I've seen on the Internet who's said that. The plot is exciting and more original than Skyrim's. The side quests are all unique, unlike Skyrim, who's side quests are repetitive. Go into a dungeon and get this, kill this guy, etc. If people didn't care about scenery/graphics, Oblivion would have gotten much more praise than Skyrim.

The Mario Series
Assassin's Creed 3 (Contains Spoilers and Ranting)
ugh. The hate that this game gets, along with the new assassin, Connor, is unbelievable. I literally almost posted a long, ranting paragraph how how more than have the s*** people say about this game is untrue/unsupported. The didn't play the game (or even the series) enough to understand what was going on and to understand the main character. And that infuriated me.
Pokemon Black/White/Black2/White2
(Just Gen V in general, way too much hate)

Oshamaru
July 28th, 2013, 03:06 PM
I don't really know what to say about overrated, but...

I think Boktai is underrated.

All three games are pretty great, and feels like MGS. (Or a bit, at least)