PDA

View Full Version : Hello PokéCommunity!

th3shark
July 19th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Hi! I'm a semi-experienced Flash programmer with interest in making a Pokémon fan game. I really want to make something unique, a game that will feel like you're playing pokemon for the first time, again. I'm putting together a little "proof of concept" demo that shows off changes I'd like to make to the classic pokemon battle system. Expect the demo to be unveiled here in a few days. Attached to this post is a screenie of what's to come. But first, I thought I'd introduce myself to the pokemon community.

I program, play video games (currently playing Fire Emblem: Awakening), and other geeky things. I also enjoy jetskiing. I started playing pokemon at gen 3 (relatively late for my age) and my favorite gen is gen 5.

I hope to be a valuable member of the community, critique fan projects of others, make new friends, participate in collaborations, and maybe even produce something I'm proud to put my name on. Thanks for reading!

Sheep
July 19th, 2013, 05:31 PM
First thing's first: omg you play Awakening?! I'm playing right now, actually. :D; I'm currently doing a hard casual run (classic is ugh...) and am training my characters so I can get some cool skills before recruiting the children. It's such an addicting game and has totally redefined my view of what a good game truly is. I'd really like to push you in the direction of the Video Games (http://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27) board if you're a gamer; there's a topic open for Awakening right now and we love having more fans discuss it there. Let us know what you're currently doing in the game there!

And hey, that is a seriously impressive-looking demo. Really, I'm surprised. I haven't played very many fangames nowadays but I'd certainly be interested in trying this out. Hacks are nice but full-fledged game coded in Flash just sounds wonderful. Game Development (http://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54) would be the best place for it and if you ever need some help with the game, that'll also be the best place to look. :) Seems like you're very experienced though so I'm sure there'll be people trying to learn from you than the other way around, haha. Seems to me like you're going to be contributing a lot in the fangame department here so be sure to stick around and keep working on this! I'll repeat that it looks wonderful. One of these days I want to try learning Flash or C++ so I can make something cool myself. Think there's an opportunity for me to take a free online course so I'll be looking into that whenever I have more time. Anything related to coding in general would likely fit into Technology & Internet (http://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57), too, so if you're looking to discuss the 'net in general you should consider stopping by.

Hope you have an amazing stay here! I'd love to be your friend and help point you in the right direction if you're lost so contact me anytime if you like. We're all a friendly bunch on PokeCommunity though so you'll probably make friends regardless. Stick around for a long, long while! We wouldn't want to lose a member like you.

Welcome to the forum and see you around~

Dr. Koga
July 19th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Hi th3shark! Nice to meet you, I'm Dr. Koga and welcome to Pokecommunity! :) So you're interested in making a fan-made pokemon game? That sounds like fun, but a lot of work. Still, I wish you the best of luck my good sir!

Don't be a stranger and I hope to see you around!

- Dr. Koga ;)

th3shark
July 19th, 2013, 05:54 PM
@Cirno Thanks for the reply! Yeah Awakening is pretty brutal. I'm doing a Hard/Classic run myself. Are people prone to post spoilers on the Video Games board? I like playing new games blind, so I can experience the game myself (dodging info about Pokemon X and Y is so hard!!!) If not I will definitely check out the Video Games board.

I taught myself Flash, and learned C++ in college. Flash is certainly a lot easier than C++, and making games with Adobe Flash Professional (not free btw) is great once you get good at it. C++, on the other hand, is a hugely popular language in almost everything computer related, but it's very tricky to learn. Do so only if you have some desire to turn programming into a career.

Tsutarja
July 19th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Hey there th3shark, and welcome to PC! My name is Zach, and it's a pleasure to meet you! {:3}

Well, looks like my good friend Cirno has pointed you in the correct direction for game development, so I wish you the best of luck over there. :] I just thought I'd stop by and welcome you personally! ;D

Anyways, as a reminder, please be sure to look over the rules here if you haven't already.. the last thing we want to see from a new member is them getting an infraction just by breaking a small and simple rule :(

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate in asking anyone around here on staff (users with the bold usernames), and they'd be glad to help you out anytime! :)

Hope you enjoy your stay here at PC! Feel free to send me a VM or a PM if you ever wanna chat with me! ^_^