PDA

View Full Version : DL only or retail only... Does it matter?

KriegStein
July 25th, 2013, 05:02 AM
I hope this topic hasnt been talked yet.

A little backstory:
So I was surfing capcoms forums for info about a certain game (guess which one) and I came across a hot depate. Many fans of the AA series were fighting over if they should by AA5 or not. This argument was heated by the fact that AA5 is announced to be nintendo eShop only title in US and Europe. While in Japan it has a retail version.

Many fans wanted also a retail version with the downloadable one. And I can understand that well. However there were some who stated that they will not buy the game unless it gets a retail version. Some went even as far as critisizing capcoms business models and also the nintendo eshop.

So I ask you all... Does it matter if the game is only in one of the two forms physical or downloadable? Would you consider NOT buying the game if its only one of these? And also do you prefer one over the other?

For me...It realy doesnt matter that much. I have bought most of my games as physical copies but I also have few digital ones.

Team Fail
July 25th, 2013, 08:26 AM
It doesn't really matter to me, but I prefer a retail copy over a downloaded copy, because it can go on sale, and I don't constantly have to be getting more and more SD cards/storage devices to keep my games on.

Xela
July 25th, 2013, 08:55 AM
I like having a downloadable version because in case you lose your retail version, the one you downloaded will always be there. Though, I only prefer retail because of being able to have a physical collection of games.

xxkaylabby
July 25th, 2013, 09:01 AM
it wouldn't matter to me, but it seems i like to have an actual copy so retail for me.

Cassino
July 26th, 2013, 12:19 PM
A game must have a retail release or I will not purchase it. I want a return on my investment, some insurance that I actually own it, so to speak. I have principle disagreements with services like Steam.

Spartacus
July 26th, 2013, 12:35 PM
I don't really mind in all honesty. As a PC gamer, there are several games which you find that are DL only and that doesn't mean they're not good. Heck, some of the games are amazing! You just learn to live with it. Generally, I do care for retail copies when games are outside of Steam, however, a lot more preferable because Steam makes everything easy for you and it's easier to have a retail copy for PC games outside of Steam imo.

thedestinedblade
July 26th, 2013, 02:43 PM
I mean, I always go for having the physical copy in my hands, but if it were downloadable only, I'd have no problem purchasing it either. I like collecting though, so for example, FE: Awakening was available at midnight for download, but pretty hard to find in just about any store, so I had to wait an extra week to get my hands on the game. Simply, if the choice is available I'll go for retail every time.

Limerent
July 26th, 2013, 03:50 PM
I'd go for retail over downloads any time. Here is why:
-Owning a disk/cartridge is immensely satisfying.
-Downloads take up a lot more space on your system. 11GB for Ghost Recon: Future Soldier... Disks are much more useful.
- I can buy retail 2nd hand copies a lot cheaper, whilst any price discounts in digital software are reliant on the publishers generosity.
-It's a good responsibility to take care of your discs/not lose cartridges.
-I've heard the nintendo e shop doesn't have an account system tied to purchases so if your 3DS bites the dust. Boom. Everything gone, have to buy it all again if you want those digital games. Not so for retail copies. Even with the PS3 you can only download account content to one other system, whereas with discs you can install wherever you want.

So yeah, retail copies for life :)

Koishi Komeiji
July 26th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Downloads take way too long to download for me, even patches take forever..so, I'd go for retail copies.

In case you lose a disc, the game saved into the hard drive never goes away unless you delete it/wipe out the hard drive/break your console..they're basically both good.

Sheep
July 27th, 2013, 11:22 AM
I only get physical copies. Having the actual box and game card is very satisfying for me, that and if my 3DS were to ever break or get lost I wouldn't lose all my data as there's no account to tie your purchases to. Boo to downloadables. :(

LolPizzaLol
July 27th, 2013, 12:14 PM
I prefer a physical copy over a download, because I can sell it then. But if there is a good game with a discount on Steam I will definitely buy it.

Manila Luzon
July 27th, 2013, 02:35 PM
I don't mind which one I get as long as I get the game, lol. However I do try and get the physical copy if I can because owning the game is nice, it makes your collection look bigger and there's always a chance of your console messing up and losing everything. Plus constantly having to find storage for DLC would be really annoying. I don't download much because of my internet speed and generally because I find physical copies cheaper.

Talli
July 28th, 2013, 06:30 AM
It has to be physical copy for as I feel having a download is pirating the game.

shadowdueler474
July 28th, 2013, 11:02 PM
I prefer to have a physical copy but in certain cases downloadable is fine for me.

Mr. Magius
July 29th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Despite my huge physical collection of video games, I don't really care about having physical copies of any of them. If I could transfer them to my PC then I would. I know I'm not gonna play my GBA or GBC games again, but if I ever got that urge, I would resort to an emulator or my flashcart.

I really only care about having physical copies of music, because it comes with the liner notes, album art, the actual CD I can throw in the player, and all that good stuff.

Since Steam is such a big player in the video game retail community, a lot of people are getting accustomed to digitally purchasing them, and we've seen a lot of publicity for PSN games, WiiWare/Virtual Console, etc. Having to buy the physical copies at the store or getting them shipped to us would suck, imo.