PDA

View Full Version : New Problem: Transgender/Genderqueer don't display properly on postbit for guests

Cassino
July 25th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Also, neither does postcount show at all.

Image:
http://imageshack.us/a/img545/3271/ou.png

PokeCosmo
July 25th, 2013, 08:45 PM
This isn't a real issue, the guy that brought it up was a troll: http://www.cameldog.net/stoned-wasted/30761-trying-troll-pokemon-forum.html

Vader
July 25th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Well, considering this was coded literally a half hour ago, I'm sure there's some bugs to be worked out still. Audy will fix I'm sure.

Jak
July 25th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Even if it was brought up by a troll, it was an option that should have been added long ago. That might be the first time a troll helped us out. But yeah, no issue in letting it stay and getting it fixed in the postbit.

Cassino
July 25th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Well, considering this was coded literally a half hour ago, I'm sure there's some bugs to be worked out still. Audy will fix I'm sure.
Oh, right, I didn't see just how recent that was. Still, the postcount issue I also mentioned has been present for far longer (unless it's intended and that setting is off by default?), so I don't think one can assume problems with recent changes won't be missed.

PokeCosmo
July 25th, 2013, 09:01 PM
he's planning on coming back in a couple of days with a new account and act offended like an evangelical parent that you have a third option for gender btw, just throwing the warning out

donavannj
July 25th, 2013, 09:01 PM
The postcount stuff was turned off for guests and newly registered users ages ago.

Jak
July 25th, 2013, 09:05 PM
he's planning on coming back in a couple of days with a new account and act offended like an evangelical parent that you have a third option for gender btw, just throwing the warning out

That's hilarious. I'm gonna be looking for appropriate gifs in the mean time. Thanks for letting us know!

dʒɹʌmpfʼt̚
July 25th, 2013, 09:06 PM

IP bans 5ever <3

I don't see why you guys have to do this lol

I mean, isn't there an option for "neither" or "both"? And genderbending is always fun :3

Jak
July 25th, 2013, 09:10 PM
I mean, isn't there an option for "neither" or "both"? And genderbending is always fun :3

No, there's just an option to leave it blank. I once suggested having a "both" option, but that obviously didn't go through, lol. And you can gender bend without having to use the new options. Though I think it will be a bit disrespectful if people genderbend using the transgender or genderqueer option.

YamiNoBlade Twihiki Amias
July 25th, 2013, 09:17 PM
I'd actually like for the option of choosing either one for chosen gender

'' '' : Transgender-FtM (Female to Male)

'' '' : Genderqueer-FAAB (Female-Assigned At Birth)
'' '' : Genderqueer-CAFAB (Coercively Assigned Female At Birth)
" "" : Genderqueer-CAMAB (Coercively Assigned Male At Birth)

It gives more of a choice for members and it looks aesthetically better. It'll show how PC as a forum is Open, Very Friendly, and Very Diverse.

bobandbill
July 25th, 2013, 09:36 PM
Wouldn't it be easier if it was just labelled Other instead? Would catch any other niches.

Otherwise I don't think there's a need to go down into more narrow subcategories - the general label should imo suffice.

Jak
July 25th, 2013, 09:40 PM
I'd actually like for the option of choosing either one for chosen gender

'' '' : Transgender-FtM (Female to Male)

'' '' : Genderqueer-FAAB (Female-Assigned At Birth)
'' '' : Genderqueer-CAFAB (Coercively Assigned Female At Birth)
" "" : Genderqueer-CAMAB (Coercively Assigned Male At Birth)

It gives more of a choice for members and it looks aesthetically better. It'll show how PC as a forum is Open, Very Friendly, and Very Diverse.

I don't think that looks aesthetically better at all, to tell you the truth. And if anything, I think it makes it more complicated. :( I think what Audy added earlier is just fine. It gets the point across, and if that person wants to express their subcategory of genderqueer or transgender, they can do so in their about me or any thread that brings up the subject.

Axton
July 26th, 2013, 12:28 AM
Would I be a total bigot for saying that I think it's fine just letting transgender people pick the gender that they identify with? I mean, someone who is MtF for example... is female as far as any of us are concerned. :/

Kura
July 26th, 2013, 03:06 AM
Why just not have another option for other? That way it can include those who are not sure yet what they are and those who are hermaphrodites. Sorted!

dʒɹʌmpfʼt̚
July 26th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Would I be a total bigot for saying that I think it's fine just letting transgender people pick the gender that they identify with? I mean, someone who is MtF for example... is female as far as any of us are concerned. :/

YES BECAUSE I READ THE WORD BIGOT AND I FREAKED OUT

um I mean this isn't a hookup or childbearing forum or anything so knowing wether you have sperm or eggs in your crotch-thing doesn't really concern any of us (until you get to the PMs and the chats yeah, but that's not what our main goal here at PC is).

Major Ziggs
July 26th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Couldn't agree more. I couldn't really understand why new fields were added since when you're transgender I always assumed you would still classify as male or female based on what you see yourself as, but I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that I'm wrong here. It just seems like making a big deal out of something that's perfectly normal, like calling it out as something to focus on? But yeah, either what we currently have or (an 'Other' option) should work fine if there is actually a need for it.

dʒɹʌmpfʼt̚
July 26th, 2013, 01:08 PM
And not to mention in a few days there's gonna be a "parent" that's going to "freak out" over our "uncouth" behavior by adding in transgender just now.

damn it guys I thought you were better than that just to feed the trolls

The Sly Fox
July 26th, 2013, 01:24 PM

This.

I mean, I just don't see why this is relevant. Just leave the options as male or female. If they aren't happy with the options, they don't have to choose. I just don't see why this is relevant on a Pokemon forum. I mean, I am not against transgender people in any way, but I've never been to a forum where its a option.

Fairy
July 26th, 2013, 01:32 PM
I agree with the above. Over complication is just that, overcomplicated. Bobandbill brought up the "other" option. I think, if this does become a thing, that would be the best choice. Or maybe even "Other : _____" (type in your own).

Although, I see that being abused more than used properly, but that's just me.

Esper
July 26th, 2013, 02:10 PM
No, that's actually a pretty keen and sensitive understanding. It only potentially leaves out people who are intersex, genderqueer, or otherwise don't identify as either female or male. And then, there may be people who primarily identify as a trans person instead of being just male or female. It's a difficult issue and, understandably, can be very personal for people. Of course, this is an issue that goes way beyond this forum so I wouldn't personally be too disappointed if we weren't on the very cutting edge.

Why just not have another option for other? That way it can include those who are not sure yet what they are and those who are hermaphrodites. Sorted!
Hermaphrodites don't technically exist in humans. A better term is intersex.

Edit: it also doesn't seem to display in some of the skins. Actually, not any of the skins I've tried so far. And some don't even display the "Gender" area at all.

WillPowerPedro
July 26th, 2013, 04:53 PM
cant you just say agendered? i mean if you are transgendered then you would use any of the three depended on what you identify yourself as. i want a third option but some people might have a problem.

Patchisou Yutohru
July 26th, 2013, 05:08 PM
I feel like agendered people already have an option to put. They don't identify with a gender, so they can leave that blank since that's a great way to say "Hey, I'm not male or female."

dʒɹʌmpfʼt̚
July 26th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Another idea…

Why not just have "custom" as an option and they can write up to 140 characters or something describing what gender-thing they are. That way we can cover all 2^16^140 genders there are.

N
July 26th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Didn't read the entire thread, so sorry if I repeat anyone, but I don't even understand why there's a transgender option?

Like, legit it was slightly offending when I saw it. xD;

Transgender people fight so hard to be recognized as either male or female, so why would you go with "transgender", that's contradictory. Agender is much the same, there's a blank gender option for that.

dʒɹʌmpfʼt̚
July 26th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Didn't read the entire thread, so sorry if I repeat anyone, but I don't even understand why there's a transgender option?

Transgender people fight so hard to be recognized as either male or female, so why would you go with "transgender", that's contradictory. Agender is much the same, there's a blank gender option for that.

Well, there was that troll

and we failed

so hard

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=305538

Patchisou Yutohru
July 26th, 2013, 06:41 PM

This is how I thought some transgendered people would feel about something like this.

Jak
July 26th, 2013, 07:16 PM
I kind of can't believe this thread is still open since it was only about fixing the post bit and it turned into debating how we should recognize transgendered and genderqueer people on PC. Either leave the new options or change it back to how it was imo. I don't understand why there's so much hubba about this.

Cassino
July 28th, 2013, 04:06 PM
The postcount stuff was turned off for guests and newly registered users ages ago.
So that was a conscious decision? How disappointing.

Patchisou Yutohru
July 28th, 2013, 04:08 PM
It was a template edit with an if condition based on what you select to be shown in your User CP. Because of that, and the fact that guests don't have an account to select what's shown in their postbit, it is hidden.

Cassino
July 28th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Yet none of the other postbit elements with options are hidden for guests. Am I missing something?

Patchisou Yutohru
July 28th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Hm. I'm willing to bet it's just an oversight in the templates. Whoever edited it so that guests can see everything more than likely forgot to do the same for post count. I don't think it was a conscious decision.

Melody
July 28th, 2013, 05:52 PM
I'm using Let's Fly Together and I can't even see my own choice. I picked Genderqueer, and nothing shows up in the gender field.

Songbird
July 28th, 2013, 06:04 PM
I'm using Let's Fly Together and I can't even see my own choice. I picked Genderqueer, and nothing shows up in the gender field.

I can see it just fine on the same theme.

Are you sure it isn't disabled in your Options page?

Miss Fortune
July 28th, 2013, 06:30 PM

I'm using the Johto Elite and your's shows up blank as well. It only says Gender: