PDA

View Full Version : Episodic, Linear or both

matt0044
July 26th, 2013, 03:58 AM
An Episodic TV series is where each episode is its own story (see cartoons like Billy and Mandy, Ed, Edd and Eddy) while a linear has an ongoing serialized storyline connecting each episode like the show was a novel. Sometimes the two styles blend such as in Avatar: TLA, Power Rangers, MLP:FiM (to an extent, though it edges closer to Episodic) and more.

What are your thoughts on these styles? Which is better or worse in your eyes? The Pros and Cons? Feel free to discuss.

Magic
July 26th, 2013, 04:14 AM
I think I would argue that Power Rangers and MLP are episodic - although there may be an over-arching story, episodes can be watched on their own, out of context with little confusion...

I prefer linear stories, as it creates a sense of depth and urgency (as they tend to end on cliff hangers). True Blood and Game of Thrones spring to mind as the type to leave you waiting for the next episode.

matt0044
July 26th, 2013, 04:50 AM
I think I would argue that Power Rangers and MLP are episodic - although there may be an over-arching story, episodes can be watched on their own, out of context with little confusion...

I'd say Power Rangers is more like both in later seasons where watching them in order is your best bet.

Ozymandias
July 26th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Usually i dont really enjoy episodic shows buuut....

Aoi Bungaku was brilliant and all the arcs were from 1-4 episodes

I think some shows it works great episodic but, not for some

Mushishi is another good one, Darker Than Black kinda is and it's an awesome show.

Infinite Latios
July 26th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Generally, I like linear with just a bit of extra episodes in there. Nothing major, just a few comedy episodes. Most of my favorite shows follow this rule, but most of them also break it by putting too many extra episodes in.

Cassino
July 26th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Linear. Episodic series' always annoyed me with how everything was fine at the end; the story has no consequence. I prefer Japanese over Western animation since it seems far rarer for the former to be episodic. I did like Shinigami no Ballad though, and that seems largely episodic; suppose I like how it follows a particular character and isn't lighthearted in tone.

Squirrel
July 26th, 2013, 12:03 PM
I prefer episodic shows with an overlaying plot that's constantly in the works as the episodes progress. Something like Doctor Who or Being Human where every episode makes sense on its own and has some new individual plot, but there are also occasional advances to the main important story of the series. That way you don't get tired of the main plot, but at the same time it keeps you watching because you want to know how everything resolves. It's also better for character development as it allows for each character to have their own moments to shine when the episode has an event focussed around them, whereas that feels a lot less natural in liner shows.