PDA

View Full Version : ...Logic?

Miss Doronjo
July 27th, 2013, 01:07 PM
The worlds in each video games have their own brand of logic; as confusing as it might be. What are some brands of logic in video games did you find the most puzzling?

For example, you can't even hit someone with that "stick" in Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde for the NES. I mean, you'd think that it would at least poke the people and make them stumble a bit, but... no. You can only take down bees.

Magic
July 27th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Pokémon specific - nobody catches these super-rare legendaries that are sitting in caves waiting.

Games that try to explain some strange skill system in terms of actual logic (AKA the crystal thing from FF13).

Do these even count idk.

ShadowE
July 27th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Borderlands 2 - You would think Hyperion personnel would use Hyperion weaponry, but i see more Dahl and Vladof weapons in their hands than Hyperion ones.

Spartacus
July 27th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Games such as FIFA lack logic. There is a term players use now when something isn't logical; they just say "EA Logic". It's because of things such as touching a player on the half-way and getting a red card happening. But all the EA Logic stuff happens a lot more than it should in the game. I've experienced it far too much, and have just stopped playing the game now because it's a waste of time and money. I think EA seriously need to work on fixing their games, generally FIFA, and I will consider buying it again when major improvements have been made.

Unknown#
July 27th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Honestly, the only game I expect any logic close to that of real life from anymore is Forza games. I've given up on trying to understand how the clouds in Mario games have eyes, or how you can survive a jump from 20 stories up in Assassin's Creed as long as you land in hay.

The most puzzling bit of "logic" I've seen in a game is in the old Sonic games, where Sonic, despite being the "fastest thing alive", can be easily outrun by Dr. Robotnik, his morbidly obese arch nemesis.

Magic
July 28th, 2013, 08:37 AM
How about the "I can hold 80 more _____," why can't I pick up this item? :(

The magics of item bags in games, it's a shame you can't pick up random useful items and put them in.

Orpheus
July 28th, 2013, 09:31 AM
In Ultima 7 Nobody suspects That the fellowship is responsible for the ritualized murders when they are the ONLY organization in all of Britannia

Jeremy
July 28th, 2013, 05:10 PM
For some reason sweeties, I think first person shooters.

"I have this rocket launcher...yet I can't seem to destroy this wooden door with it."
Or the fact they can have several guns on them and can switch between them easily.

Mr. Magius
July 28th, 2013, 08:01 PM
The jumping/falling system in the classic Mega Man sidescrollers allowed you to change your trajectory mid-air...obviously that's logically impossible unless he has invisible jets or something in his feet.

And another one that's been brought up is the pack size of RPGs. Wow, I can fit several sets of armour and a bike in my bag!

TreeKangaroo
July 29th, 2013, 07:50 PM
You somehow can put fish in your pockets and they will still be alive. You can hold whale sharks in one hand. Fossils are like swirly blue things with white star things. Leaves can magically be turned into furniture.

Animal crossing has lots of questionable logic

ShadowE
July 30th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Also in StarCraft 2, i noticed something that is quite... see for yourselves

http://www.carlsguides.com/starcraft2/screenshots/zerg/units/ultralisk.gif
1. This massive unit, named the Ultralisk, is as fast as a Stalker, who is smaller, as seen below, which is silly.
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/images2/thumb/4/4b/Stalker.png/197px-Stalker.png

Arcturus.
July 31st, 2013, 10:10 AM
Pokemon logic is the most confusing to me for very obvious reasons.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/141/217/tumblr_lfyxidoeSL1qg04o4o1_400.jpg

R.F.
August 1st, 2013, 10:40 AM
The whole Nintendo logic is confusing.

Also: on a grid based RPGs those people and things like small buckets standing in your way causing you to be stuck in order to do the plot related stuff. "This little stone that you shurely cannot climb over is standing in you way."

takenbythewind
August 1st, 2013, 10:51 AM
In Animal Crossing you can put large couches, wardrobes and any other furniture you can think of in your pockets...
You can also hold fish, and huge T-Rex fossils.

BlueEspeon
August 1st, 2013, 10:57 AM
Pokemon:
Health Care is free.
Lemonade is 350$??!?!?!?!

Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of time:
Can't run with metal boots on.
Can Backflip with metal boots on?!?!?!

ShinyXander
August 1st, 2013, 11:02 AM
Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of time:
Can't run with metal boots on.
Can Backflip with metal boots on?!?!?!

I like this one! You sink in water with the boots on your feet, but when you put them in your pockets, you can float?

Kyrul
August 1st, 2013, 05:35 PM
FPS games logic always got me.
I mean you can't stand 10 meters away from a fragmentation grenade and expect to be alive, hell you could be 50 meters away and still get some shrapnel from it. The American Army uses a AT-4 rocket launcher. The AT-4 is disposable, you can't reload it. You shoot it once then throw it away. Not to mention fatigue. IBA and Kevlar alone is about 15-20 lbs extra weight, add on an assault pack filled with ammo and MREs, and a tent, you ain't gonna be running long, let alone shooting straight right after. A M16A4 weights about 7 lbs (9-10 lbs with full mag), it doesn't sound like alot but when your carrying it at the low-ready all day, it takes it's toll. In Battlefield 3 I see people running around with a M240B.....Ha, I had the luxury of carrying that weapon system on a 10 mile ruck march. It weights 27 pounds. You can't even fire it straight without a tripod and the tripod is so heavy that they have another man carry it! Needless to say, after the march I could barely feel my arms, there is no way in hell someone can carry that thing in the high-ready all the time unless they are some sort of robot.

Ephemeral Euphoria
August 1st, 2013, 06:01 PM
I've always wondered how the Covenant in the Halo series managed to speak English in all honesty. Also in GTA 4 when I get hit by a car and not only am I still alive I am able to run off like nothing happened.

Starlight Sprite
August 1st, 2013, 08:43 PM
These are probably all outlined on TV tropes already, but here goes.

Almost any NES and SNES era RPG, and thus pretty much every later RPG game where you can traverse a world map. Going to the end of the map (usually needs to be done via boat or airship) will often cause you to respawn on the other side, no matter where you do this. This means that the planet on which the game takes place is shaped like a donut.

Another one common to RPGs especially, but can appear in platforming games as well are objects such as low fences or tress that you should be able to go around or over, but can't. They're often conveniently put in places to keep you from going to the edge of the map

Also, any sequel to a game that stars the same character(s) as the original. Most of the time, all of the items and skills that a character obtained in a previous game vanish to give a fresh start in the sequel. This is also especialy apparent in RPGs (Final Fantasy X-2 and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door being examples), but appears just as often in other games. An explanation may be given, such as the character being shipricked and losing all their equipment (a la Zelda: Link's Awakening), but just as often everything is gone mysteriously and must be regained.

Next come cutscenes. Outside of the actual gameplay, characters are able to perform amazing feats of strength and agility, or unable to do such things that they could while not in a cutscene. Even worse, a character might just watch in awe as something terrible happens, that could have been prevented if they took action. Cloud is suddenly frozen in place while Sephiroth descends from the ceiling and kills Aeris. This works in reverse too (sorry Final Fantasy, you're just too easy to quote), such as the summons in FFIX being immensely more powerful when you're not on the battle screen.

PokeChris123
August 2nd, 2013, 02:09 PM
Pokemon: Your house has two floors, your bedroom and the kitchen... wait, where does your mother sleep?
Sonic: Who puts all of these spikes, loop-de-loop highways and unreachable roads win a city? How do these platforms float?

A lot of video games in general: Where's the bathroom/Why can't I use the bathroom?

Orpheus
August 2nd, 2013, 02:22 PM
Even worse, a character might just watch in awe as something terrible happens, that could have been prevented if they took action. Cloud is suddenly frozen in place while Sephiroth descends from the ceiling and kills Aeris.

If something like that happened you would likely be in to much shock to move so that is a bit logical

ShadowE
August 2nd, 2013, 02:31 PM
Also anyone noticed (if any of you play this game) in 007: Quatum of Solace that zooming in with a silenced gun makes your recoil gone. Every single gun lost its recoil while you should have some recoil, especially with snipers or LMG's

RollsOfSushi
August 2nd, 2013, 02:34 PM
I've never understood how characters can hold so much in their pockets/bags.. Like in Pokemon, how does one hold a bike in their backpack!?

Starlight Sprite
August 2nd, 2013, 10:13 PM
I've never understood how characters can hold so much in their pockets/bags.. Like in Pokemon, how does one hold a bike in their backpack!?

The description of the bike in some games says that it's collapsible. This hardly explains how it will fit in a backpack along with a metal detector (itemfinder), a fishing rod (or rather three fishing rods), a watering can, berry pots.... Maybe there's an interdenominational wormhole that your character reaches into. :7: Can't really justify this even if I tried to.

On another note, who's giving all the monsters gold or whatever the currency is in RPGs (not in Pokemon, mind you). I don't see any reason that a wild animal would be carrying fifteen gold coins and a rusty dagger, but maybe that's just me. Even some games where the monsters drop loot that must eventually be sold get wonky. After all, since every wolf has a skull, why do you only get wolf skulls some of the time (this is just an example). This gets even funnier in a game like Final Fantasy XII (again with the FF!) where you can steal the items before you kill the monster, allowing you get body parts off the animal while it's still alive and attacking you (and not have it affect the battle).

SomariFeyWright
August 10th, 2013, 08:51 PM
In Cave Story, a level 3 machine gun can act as a jetpack of sorts, yet it doesn't push you either way if you use it left or right.

... Also, how the Running hell does Booster come out perfectlt fine if you don't go down to him? If you do, he tells you his last request of protecting Sue and dies...

Tlachtli
August 10th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Great games though they are, the Legend of Zelda games are notorious for logic flaws. Things like the Iron Boot principal (they're only heavy when you wear them, but not when you're carrying them around?) or the idea of Link keeping his entire inventory in his pants (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammerspace).

Or if you want one Pokemon-related, this (http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/halolz-dot-com-pokemon-scyther-cannotlearnfly.jpg).

cuttlefishCuller
August 10th, 2013, 09:22 PM
https://global3.memecdn.com/skyrim_c_119027.jpg

Skyrim seems to be filled with these sorts of inconsistencies.

It's true, video games are rampant with their own brand of arbitrary logic, nonsensical physics, and blatant unrealistic realism. But, isn't that part of what makes some of them charming? n_n;

Apple Juice
August 14th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Logic in video games is probably a heavily discussed topic, and not in a serious way, but I think the humor that comes out of it makes the lack of any form of realistic aspects to a game hurt a little less. Despite all the memes and jokes that swirl around the internet, there are a few games that have certainly got me to ponder what the developers were thinking when creating it. It's especially confusing when the game is actually supposed to be in the real world, or at least resemble the physical attributes of Earth. If you can't throw in simple mechanics in games like those, it brings the quality down much more than if a Mario game's logic is wrong. You could even say Mario, and a ton of other games with their colorful cartoon characters, wouldn't be nearly as successful if logic had been an important element in game developing. We wouldn't be able to be sucked into pipes and pop up in a completely different area, or talk with a living fairy, or encase huge creatures in tiny metal balls. That's where the value in not having logic lies, but in games based in Earth or in a realistic scenario, logic should be emphasized to make sure that the game meets the consumers expectations for it. If I were to buy such a game, I would expect certain things to work the same way on Earth, and therefore go about doing them. If I end up being wrong, then most likely I've lost time and money. I think it's an overlooked part of video gaming these days, and it needs to be fixed. One thing that never will be, though, is how long your character can go without eating or drinking any liquid. I can't think of many games that have implemented that detailed of a system, haha.

Aeroblast
August 14th, 2013, 05:57 AM
https://global3.memecdn.com/skyrim_c_119027.jpg

Skyrim seems to be filled with these sorts of inconsistencies.

It's true, video games are rampant with their own brand of arbitrary logic, nonsensical physics, and blatant unrealistic realism. But, isn't that part of what makes some of them charming? n_n;

I don't know if this is a realistic scenario or not, but if you kill a chicken, villagers come after you and subsequently try to kill you. I always wondered if chickens were some sort of sacred being in that game.

Orpheus
August 16th, 2013, 07:07 AM
... Also, how the Running hell does Booster come out perfectlt fine if you don't go down to him? If you do, he tells you his last request of protecting Sue and dies...

You get the booster v2.0 not v0.8.