PDA

View Full Version : Romance in Video Games

Peitharchia
August 10th, 2013, 04:38 AM
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18emktbouzn1dpng/k-medium.png

Many games include romance in their storylines. Which game do you think had the best love story?

For me, it has to be Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. This game was about Link saving Zelda, his closet childhood friend, from demonic forces. Link was willing to go to any lengths just to rescue her, which shows how much he loves and cares for her. The game also had a lot of scenes to show how much they're into each other, and this is one of them (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x5oHtRXL8g).

Miss Doronjo
August 10th, 2013, 05:20 AM
Well, even though their romance was blatant and a little too excessive, I would have to say Marta & Emil from Tales of Symphonia 2. However, be prepared for a confusing.. love story. XD Marta thought Emil saved her from the Vanguard when they were chasing her, which made Marta fell in love with Emil. However, it was actually Emil's other half, as it were... and, well, things got a little crazy from there, but, yeah! It was pretty cute at times~

ShadowE
August 10th, 2013, 05:26 AM
Not really a love story someone would think: Jim Raynor and Sarah Kerrigan (StarCraft series).

It all started when Kerrigan was still human, and even when she became the Queen of Blades, Raynor still had feelings for her and instead of killing her for slaughtering billions of humans, he managed to turn her human again. Kerrigan threw her humanity away when she heard that Raynor got killed, but this was mere propaganda as Raynor was held captive. This weird form of love is something i never understood but still, it was lovely to see.

SomariFeyWright
August 10th, 2013, 08:25 PM
NINO AND JAFFAR FROM FIRE EMBLEM (7).

Nino, once you recruit her, goes through all kinds of hell from those she loves. Jaffar, meanwhile, has been put into so much hell since birth he claims to have no emotion.

The cute green-haired mage is Jaffar's first true experience with emotion... with love. He defied orders, changed his alignment, and tried to force her out, in order to save the girl he loved. He trusted no one else, but he confided greatly in her. Nino's in shambles and Jaffar's coming to term with emotion... and if you get them together, it is absolute poetry.

Nino may be my (alternate) waifu, but I would never keep that couple apart. It works great, and adds to the already great sub-plot of Nino's character development.

And the interesting thing? Neither of them are true protagonists. They're members you recruit along the way... fairly late into the game, at that.

Just goes to show ya how awesome Fire Emblem is~

Tlachtli
August 10th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Not really a love story someone would think: Jim Raynor and Sarah Kerrigan (StarCraft series).

It all started when Kerrigan was still human, and even when she became the Queen of Blades, Raynor still had feelings for her and instead of killing her for slaughtering billions of humans, he managed to turn her human again. Kerrigan threw her humanity away when she heard that Raynor got killed, but this was mere propaganda as Raynor was held captive. This weird form of love is something i never understood but still, it was lovely to see.

As Facebook would put their relationship, "It's Complicated." I'd agree though, they are both very self-sacrificing for and committed to the well-being of the other. That, and the fact that Raynor can get past Kerrigan's Zerg hair says a lot.

As far as good love stories goes, I've always been partial to MGS3. While Snake makes it explicit that there is nothing romantic between him and The Boss, it's very clear that there is a family-like love between them and it really makes the impact of the plot overall that much more forceful. As far as the actual romantic plot of MGS3 goes, EVA was... meh. While I understand that it was necessary for her character to be the way she was, I was never really a fan of her.

ErikaInRainbowCity
August 10th, 2013, 09:05 PM
I hope a tragic love story counts... don't forget Cloud and Aerith from FF7.. all my feels *clutches chest*

Hope I didn't ruin the mood of the thread but I probably did *slowly walks away* lol

Fairy
August 10th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Otacon and Naomi from Metal Gear Solid 4. Such a tragic romance. It's a shame they were never meant to be. :'(

ShadowE
August 11th, 2013, 02:04 AM
As Facebook would put their relationship, "It's Complicated." I'd agree though, they are both very self-sacrificing for and committed to the well-being of the other. That, and the fact that Raynor can get past Kerrigan's Zerg hair says a lot.

Well i can see why its complicated. If your girlfriend murders millions of people, kill one of your buddies (Fenix from Brood War) and also throw away what Raynor did for her to make her human again. I would have killed her if i was Raynor O.o

Apple Juice
August 14th, 2013, 05:38 AM
Tifa Lockheart and Cloud from the Final Fantasy series. It's probably less popular than Aeris, but I think it deserves more recognition. The strong childhood bonds between these two valiant characters touched the hearts of many playing the game, including myself. It's really an effective video game love story because a huge majority of people can relate to it; having a childhood love and not having it work out in the end. They outlined this by putting some effective flashbacks that really struck me as amazing. These two were my favorite video game romance, so far at least. n__n

ErikaInRainbowCity
August 14th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Tifa Lockheart and Cloud from the Final Fantasy series. It's probably less popular than Aeris, but I think it deserves more recognition. The strong childhood bonds between these two valiant characters touched the hearts of many playing the game, including myself. It's really an effective video game love story because a huge majority of people can relate to it; having a childhood love and not having it work out in the end. They outlined this by putting some effective flashbacks that really struck me as amazing. These two were my favorite video game romance, so far at least. n__n

Yes that's true we shouldn't forget about Tifa, although I normally favor the more popular pairing... I don't deny that Cloud and Tifa have a close relationship as well.

xxkaylabby
August 14th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Definitely the romance between elena and nathan in the uncharted series. i love how elena is in the first one, but no romance happens at all and nathan finds her quite annoying. chloe messes things up with them by being nathan's new love interest, but in the end, elena and nathan get together and go on adventures. love it!

Melody
August 14th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Even though it may not be blatant; Sora and Kairi from Kingdom Hearts comes to mind...Even if things are far more complicated than it ought to be.

Team Fail
August 14th, 2013, 10:29 PM
For me, it has to be Locke/Celes in Final Fantasy VI. He saved her from the Imperial guards in South Figaro, and he said that he'd protect her. And it's like that all the way up to the end of the game.

And it's most prevalent in...
Celes' attempted suicide scene.
When she recovers on the beach and sees the bird with his bandanna on it, that's what motivates her to get off the island and find her friends.