PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo 3DS Discussion

Apple Juice
August 13th, 2013, 06:38 PM
http://www.zdnet.com/i/story/61/18/026606/untitled-1_05.jpg
Nintendo 3DS

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable gaming console; the successor of the Nintendo DS/DSi. Unlike it's previous models, the 3DS is capable of stereoscopic 3D effects without the use of any glasses or supplementary equipment. It competes mainly with the PlayStation Vita console. The 3DS was first released on February 26, 2011. A short six months later, the price was lowered as sales were un-satisfactory and offered a handful of additional items if consumers decided to purchase the console at its original price. The improvement, called the 3DS XL, was released on July 28, 2012. It featured screens that were 90% larger than it's previous model.

Do you own a 3DS/XL? How do you like it, and what games do you own for it? What are your favorite and least favorite features of the console? Would you recommend someone with a older version to upgrade to the 3DS? Why or why not? Discuss all of these topics, among several others, here!

Aeroblast
August 13th, 2013, 06:43 PM
I have the launch 3DS but it's already 2 and half years old already and it has signs of heavy use and it could just die soon. The whole system is really squeaky, hinge is unstable... I ordered Black 3DS XL which comes to my house tomorrow. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

PokeChris123
August 13th, 2013, 07:00 PM
I've had my 3DS for about two years now, and it's still in great condition. I like the graphics of the 3DS as a lot of games look gorgeous, and I like the feel of it. II have games like Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D, Starfox 64 3D, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Animal Crossing New Leaf (Downloaded), Heroes of Ruin and some others. I have some downloadable applications from the eShop (like Pokedex 3D Pro, Pokemon Dream Radar, Pushmo, etc.) and some Virtual Console games (Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Advance 3, Mario Land 2, Link's awakening DX, Sonic Triple Trouble, etc.). I really love the 3DS, and I plan to get more games for it (like Pokemon X or Pokemon Y).

Wobbu
August 13th, 2013, 07:10 PM
I got my 3DS almost exactly two years ago, and it's still in great condition. The first game I got for it was Steel Diver. There weren't too many great games for it back then, but Steel
Diver was pretty fun. I also own Mario Kart 7, Luigi's Mansion 2, Rumble Blast, LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean, and a few others. I really like the stereoscopic 3D, and I'm looking forward to see how it will be utilized in X and Y. I like that you can create files an store software shortcuts in them, and I also like the multitasking. I've never used a Vita, but I'm sure I wouldn't like it as much as the 3DS.

Arron13
August 13th, 2013, 09:21 PM
I do not personally own a 3DS but I plan to get one soon. My frist has a XL version and it is great. Even though the 3d is good, most of the time you just play with it off because it conserves battery and it can hurt your eyes after a while. I really want a 3DS because of the games though. With X and Y coming out soon I'll be getting those. I also want MK7, LOZ ocarina of time, Mario and Luigi dream team, animal crossing, luigi's mansion, and so, so many more. I just wish i had all the money for everything I want. Overall i'm all for the 3DS.

droomph
August 13th, 2013, 09:30 PM
My mom won't let me play it :( she's probably right about the whole I can't handle it thing

I've gotten it for about 6 months, and I bought it in anticipation for Pokémon X&Y.

I'll say though that a lot of the games are kinda mehhhhh but I don't blame the 3DS for that as much as me just being a boring buttface of a person :p

skyluigi2
August 13th, 2013, 10:55 PM
I got the 3DS on launch day, but upgraded to the 3DS XL about this time last year. I love the 3D visuals (I always play in 3D.... ALWAYS), I love the games; Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate... this personally is my favourite handheld console of all time.

Peitharchia
August 13th, 2013, 11:50 PM
I have a 3DS, but not the XL version. I bought it last year in June. I really like the console, because you're able to play games in 3D without the help of any glasses. No other consoles have done that before. So far, my favorite games for the 3DS are Kid Icarus: Uprising, Super Mario 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, and Mario Kart 7. According to a few of my friends, Fire Emblem: Awakening is a great game. I just haven't bought it yet, though.

Team Fail
August 15th, 2013, 09:23 AM
I have an Ambassador 3DS myself. I have Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, Mario & Luigi Dream Team, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Tetris Axis, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, and a few others, including a smorgasbord of Virtual Console games (Almost 30!).

So, with the new system update, you can get streetpasses from Nintendo Zones around the world, but some clever people have figured out how to make your own Nintendo Zones at home and streetpass from home to people almost anywhere in the world. Does anyone here do it?

Talli
August 15th, 2013, 12:03 PM
I have a pink 3DS with the games pokemon rumble blast, Luigi's manision 2 and pokemon Mystery Dungeon GTI. I got my 3DS for christmas last year and now is my favorite handheld. I would get one if I was you as it is a really good edition to the handheld market.

Dter ic
August 15th, 2013, 01:49 PM
I have a red 3DS I got last year as a christmas present which is still in good condition besides from a few finger prints and stuff :P. I initally had Super Street Fighter IV and Dead or Alive: Dimensions. Then I got Mario Kart 7 soon after and recently got myself Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros.

I frequently go out on train journeys to different places so it would be the perfect opertunity to streetpass some people while I'm out but I often forget to leave my 3DS on standby and turn it off ;(

Team Fail
August 15th, 2013, 02:20 PM
I have a red 3DS I got last year as a christmas present which is still in good condition besides from a few finger prints and stuff :P. I initally had Super Street Fighter IV and Dead or Alive: Dimensions. Then I got Mario Kart 7 soon after and recently got myself Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros.

I frequently go out on train journeys to different places so it would be the perfect opertunity to streetpass some people while I'm out but I often forget to leave my 3DS on standby and turn it off ;(

If you're not getting a ton of streetpasses, you might want to look at this (http://gbatemp.net/threads/homepass-chaldrons-mac-cycler-for-windows.352935/). It basically abuses the fact you can make your own Nintendo Zone locations, and if you're on a Windows laptop/desktop with USB wireless adapter, you can abuse the streetpass relay functionality that was included in the most recent system update. That even means you could streetpass with PC members or even other people around the world. I was able to get a streetpass from someone in Japan today!

Apple Juice
August 17th, 2013, 06:57 PM
I actually haven't picked up the 3DS myself, but I have been wanting it for quite some time now. My best bet was to receive it for my birthday, and my parents have yet to give me one, haha. They did say I hadn't gotten all my gifts yet, so I'm hopeful. There are a bunch of games I'm excited for, namely New Leaf and X & Y. If I do end up owning a 3DS, I'll definitely pick up Rayman Origins as well!

So, guys: What is your favorite aspect of the 3DS and why?

Wobbu
August 17th, 2013, 07:38 PM
My favorite aspect is the graphics. The 3DS allows portable gaming to be completely 3D without displaying a pixelated mess. The textures are amazing in every game I own and I'm sure that the quality will continue to increase with upcoming games. I would have never thought that a game like Luigi's Mansion would be recreated on a portable device and actually look nice. I'm really looking forward to see what portable games will look like during the next generation.

xxkaylabby
August 18th, 2013, 07:14 AM
i love my 3ds. i always end up taking a break from it though, and playing my ps3. right now i've been playing animal crossing new leaf like crazy. can't wait for pokemon x and y!

Apple Juice
August 20th, 2013, 04:44 PM
I have another discussion point for those interested! What has been your favorite game released for the 3DS and why?

As of now, I'm thinking I'd probably like Rayman Origins the most, but New Leaf is a close second.

Peitharchia
August 20th, 2013, 05:18 PM
My favorite aspect of the 3DS is the eShop, which allows you to play certain games on your console without the need of buying cartridges. I also like their StreetPass feature. It enables you to communicate with other players and share app data, such as your Mii avatars in the Mii Plaza application.

My favorite game is currently Fire Emblem: Awakening. I bought it today, and I instantly loved it. It's a great strategy game which requires a lot of patience and skill.

Aeroblast
August 20th, 2013, 05:21 PM
FE Awakening is definitely my favorite, though just a moment ago I accidentally deleted a 40 hour save which is absolutely awful. I played on Normal/Casual because I'm a filthy casual, though I might take this opportunity to give a Normal/Classic, Hard/Casual, or even Hard/Classic a try. Which difficulty would you guys recommend?

zl
August 20th, 2013, 06:11 PM
I'm very addicted to Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and ever since I have owned the game, I have not missed a day in playing it at all.

I got my 3DS XL back in April with original intentions on getting it for X and Y.. but I have done so much with it such as used the StreetPass feature and played the MiiPlaza games. It's a very good system for the price if you ask me.

Razer302
August 21st, 2013, 06:29 AM
I don't own a 3DS. I have been tempted to buy it several times but every time I look at the games and think abut how many consoles I already own and never complete I just lose motivation to buy one as I would barely play it.

I think I will only get it for the new pokemon games and that's it really.

Sheep
August 21st, 2013, 09:42 AM
I love the 3DS. Hard to believe just a year ago I thought it was a complete waste and never wanted to buy it. I'm currently playing Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity, but my favorites have to be Fire Emblem Awakening and New Leaf! o/

JayD
August 21st, 2013, 10:12 AM
I was thinking of getting myself a 3DS before Pokemon X & Y comes out, but I'm still not sure which one I should get. I prefer the 3DS over the 3DS XL because it's smaller and more light. But the 3DS XL got more battery power, better grip (iirc), button placements are better. Is it really worth the extra money for the 3DS?

xxkaylabby
August 21st, 2013, 11:48 AM
my favorite game for the 3ds is animal crossing right now. i just love it so much interacting and the graphics are great! i love it.

Peitharchia
August 22nd, 2013, 09:01 AM
I've ran into this article (http://gamesided.com/2013/08/15/nintendo-3ds-top-selling-console-in-us-for-third-straight-month/) recently, and according to them, Nintendo 3DS has been the best-selling video game console for the last three months. I'm personally very happy about this. I'm a huge Nintendo fan, and I'd like to see them succeed as much as they possibly can.

Arx
August 22nd, 2013, 09:16 AM
I've ran into this article (http://gamesided.com/2013/08/15/nintendo-3ds-top-selling-console-in-us-for-third-straight-month/) recently, and according to them, Nintendo 3DS has been the best-selling video game console for the last three months. I'm personally very happy about this. I'm a huge Nintendo fan, and I'd like to see them succeed as much as they possibly can.
Two words : Animal Crossing. But still, I'm not gonna get the 3DS. Most of the games on it don't interest me really much except Pokemon or Fire Emblem. And maybe the fact that I'm saving up for a PS4. But still if I had to buy a handheld it would be the Vita.

Savant
August 22nd, 2013, 09:38 AM
I just bought my 3DS about two weeks ago. An original, not XL. I didn't have the money for the upgrade sadly. I really only bought it for Pokemon XY but then I realised there was Fire Emblem Awakening too... derp -w-

Right now I just alternate between using it and my original DS while the other is charging. I don't even have any 3DS games yet so my only experience with the 3D graphics is through the demos for FE Awakening and PMD Gates to Infinity.

I'd appreciate any recommendations.

tabor62
August 22nd, 2013, 11:45 AM
I got my 3DS at launch so I spent more >.< But the Ambassador games are pretty good so I'm happy. The two games I play the most are Fire Emblem: Awakening and Shin Megami Tensei IV.

I'd recommend SMT IV to anyone who hasn't bought it yet. Go check it out online, it's pretty cool. (Also if you register it on Club Nintendo with Fire Emblem you'll get $30 free eShop credit which is cool, though it's only for the US and Canada :/)

Savant
August 22nd, 2013, 06:55 PM
I actually had to register my 3DS profile as living in the US to get access to the eShop otherwise I wouldn't be able to download anything. Not even demos!

DavidtheDeadPhilosopher
August 23rd, 2013, 01:36 AM
I have one of the Midnight Purple 3DS Originals, however it's starting to wear out a bit as it's R button is starting to go :(. However, they don't have a Purple 3DS XL so I'm going to find it hard to upgrade anytime soon.

I own Kid Icarus Uprising, Fire Emblem Awakening, Shin Megumi Tensei IV, Mario Kart 7, New Super Mario Bros 2, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Rhythm Thief, Animal Crossing: New Leaf. I also own several 3DS Downloads and Virtual Console titles! I love them all!

Actor
August 23rd, 2013, 05:08 AM
I have a launch day (urrgh..) Aqua Blue 3DS, and its... okay? It's very worn out from playing Monster Hunter and Pokémon, but still plays fine. I don't really care for most of the 3DS games; Mario Kart 7 and Kid Icarus Uprising were awful.

What I really want is a 3DS Lite to come out, so it can fix the uncomfortable design and horrible battery life. Plus, I think that the 3DS XL is a bit too large.

Savant
August 23rd, 2013, 05:16 AM
I have a launch day (urrgh..) Aqua Blue 3DS, and its... okay? It's very worn out from playing Monster Hunter and Pokémon, but still plays fine. I don't really care for most of the 3DS games; Mario Kart 7 and Kid Icarus Uprising were awful.

What I really want is a 3DS Lite to come out, so it can fix the uncomfortable design and horrible battery life. Plus, I think that the 3DS XL is a bit too large.

I'll agree with you there. When the girl first showed me the console in store I thought "What's that metal looking thing? Why is it so shiny?". Once I actually got home, unboxed it and held it a little I thought it felt a little uncomfortable, the start, select and home buttons were in an odd place and the D-pad is a little awkward for me to use. The stylus is also in a very weird place and the battery only lasted about 4 hours after full charge which is about the same time as my years old DSLite.

But hey, I spent my money for it so I'll overlook these disagreements on design.

DavidtheDeadPhilosopher
August 23rd, 2013, 11:25 AM

If your playing the system mostly for Monster Hunter, I would recommend getting the Circle Pad Pro attachment, it really does fix alot of the ergonomic issues of the system and the game plays nicer as well. It doesn't really help the battery issue but I heard there were decent after-market batteries that can help fix that as well.

I don't think making the system lighter or smaller is going to fix any issues with comfortability. I feel like adding a Circle Pad Pro like backrest would do wonders for the system.

Also, just out of curiosity, why do you dislike Mario Kart 7, I personally thought it was leagues better than Mario Kart Wii. I actually consider it my second favourite after the Mario Kart DS ^_^

Cerberus87
August 25th, 2013, 11:42 AM
I love my 3DS XL. It was a good gift from a friend. The graphics are beautiful but the controls take some time getting used to.

Freezer
August 25th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Have a launch day ambassador 3DS and love it. Ambassador games are cool.

Best game on the system is easily Kid Icarus Uprising. Favorite gotta be Luigi's Mansion 2, however. Quite amazing how the first party output in this system has been constantly good, with every game from Nintendo being great to GOTY-tier.

...Well, everything except Fire Emblem Awakening. A shame we got that stain on the 3DS's output.
I have another discussion point for those interested! What has been your favorite game released for the 3DS and why?

As of now, I'm thinking I'd probably like Rayman Origins the most, but New Leaf is a close second.
Do yourself a favor and play Rayman Origins on every other system that it's available on. Preferably Vita or PC. 3DS version is terrible.

Also, just out of curiosity, why do you dislike Mario Kart 7, I personally thought it was leagues better than Mario Kart Wii. I actually consider it my second favourite after the Mario Kart DS ^_^
I can get why someone would dislike MK7 (even if they're WRONG), but how is Kid Icarus Uprising awful?

And I'm not taking any controls complaints unless you're left handed. In which case, it's understandable. (but still WRONG)

Youngster Timmy
August 26th, 2013, 11:00 AM
I have a post-price drop Cosmo black 3ds and love it. favorite games are Mario 3d land, Mario Kart 7, and M&L Dream Team. Multiplayer games aren't very fun without friends tho. (I only have one and he doesn't have internet!)

Tsutarja
August 27th, 2013, 03:24 AM
I currently own a standard blue 3DS XL and I've loved it since I've had it. The only two 3DS games I own for it now are Heroes of Ruin (which I never play anymore, but it was given to me by a good friend as a starter game for me), and Aninal Crossing: New Leaf. Since I play a lot of New Leaf, I've been winding up charging it somehow on an almost daily basis xD