PDA

View Full Version : Movie-Based Games

Apple Juice
August 13th, 2013, 07:08 PM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5135/5524355245_a0f5820507.jpg

Throughout the years, it's been a common occurrence for popular and successful movies to expand their franchise and therefore receive greater income. One of those expanding options has been adapting their movie into a video game, whether it be for a console such as the Xbox or DS, or even an app for iPhone. Some have been complete failures and only manage to get bombarded with negative reviews, and others successful, with healthy purchasing numbers and not nearly as much hate. What is your opinion on these games based off of movies? Do you approve of them, and why or why not? Do you have a favorite, or a least favorite? Do you think less movies should be made into video games? Share your opinions on the matter here.

Wobbu
August 13th, 2013, 07:42 PM
I feel like movies are more for watching, not playing. I do like games that deviate from the movie that they're based off of, like the LEGO series, and I also don't mind if a game has cameos of characters from movies, but every game I've played that was based off of a movie wasn't that great. My XBox 360 came with a complimentary Kung Fu Panda game and I haven't finished it, even though it's been over 3 years lol

Thergox
August 14th, 2013, 04:47 AM
I've never been that impressed with games based off of movies, mainly because whoever designs them half-makes the graphics and always makes the game mechanics terrible. All the movie-games have to offer is a third-person view of the hero's behind and making the tumble back and forth between areas where a "Mission" needs to be completed. . . Heck, I was sick of those when I was four.

I admit, "The Lion King" for the SNES was actually fun -- it was played as a platformer, but the graphics had actual care put into them and there were plenty of things to break up the monotony. Same with "The Jungle Book" which was similar but had more action since the main character could throw projectiles and such. Then again, it would probably be pretty hard to go wrong with graphics and gameplay when the platform only consists of straight pixels.

T!M
August 14th, 2013, 06:43 AM
Movie games are hit-n'-miss, more so miss. I don't usually play them ever as the story is usually watered down and the acting is awful. Movie games I feel are more geared towards kid and young teens, as gamer's favor original games for our consoles.

As for my favorite movie-game, two come to mind right away.

Spider-Man 2 (PS2/XB) and Spider-Man 3 (PS3/XB360). I've always enjoyed the idea of open-world sand box game play. Even more so when it can be done as Spider-Man.

Growing up in New York, I've always wanted to go to New York City, more specifically, Manhattan. Before I ever got there I studied it hardcore. I figured out exactly where every land mark was located.

So I judge games that use NYC as their sand box harshly. Because I know what's suppose to be where. And Spider-Man 2 and 3 nailed it.

Apple Juice
August 15th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Movie-based games were usually a failure. Never was enough emphasis put on the things that needed to be focused on, and either they stuck too close to the original movie, or they strayed too far away. In either case, many other things tend to go wrong with movie-based video games, mainly because the producers don't want to invest money in quality developers. I don't think I've ever voluntarily purchased a game that was based off of a movie, even if I loved the movie, i.e. Rango. I'm sure some of them were entertaining enough to merit their usually small price, but the majority of these games were not worth considering.

T!M
August 15th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Movie-based games were usually a failure. Never was enough emphasis put on the things that needed to be focused on, and either they stuck too close to the original movie, or they strayed too far away. In either case, many other things tend to go wrong with movie-based video games, mainly because the producers don't want to invest money in quality developers. I don't think I've ever voluntarily purchased a game that was based off of a movie, even if I loved the movie, i.e. Rango. I'm sure some of them were entertaining enough to merit their usually small price, but the majority of these games were not worth considering.

Oh no doubt. Although I enjoyed both Spider-Man 2 and 3 they were just, story-wise, awful. So much stuff happened that you'd have to watch the movie to fill in the gap in the story.

For example.

Spider-Man 3
Flint Marko/Sandman's whole crusade for stealing and robbing with his new powers is to pay for a cure for his daughter's sickness. In the game this is never explained and through the game you're just fighting him seemingly because he's a criminal with super-powers. At the end, Venom abducts his daughter and threatens to harm her if he doesn't fight Spider-Man with him. This, for someone who may have not seen the film, would make no sense as the daughter was not mentioned throughout the game and would only affect someone beyond an abducted daughter if you saw the film and saw just how much more important this was to Flint beyond it just being his daughter who needs help.

And some stuff that omit completely for reasons that are far beyond my grasp.

For example.

Spider-Man 3
In the movie, one of the pivotal points in the film is that Harry Osborn, the New Goblin dies in the final confrontation with Venom. In the game, that never happens.