• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Same game, different platform

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
When the PS3 and XB360 first debuted. They would make games that made the most of the consoles resources. Resources that allowed the games to run with the best graphics, the best sound and ultimately just funner experience all around.

At those times, the PS2 was still very much used by everyone and those who couldn't afford a PS3 or XB360 at the time continued to enjoy all the fun the PS2 had to offer.

Sometimes a new game that came out for the then next-gen consoles and the game would also be ported for the PlayStation 2. This also happens today for hand-held games as well.

But what should be noted about the XB360 games gone PS2 is that the games, as far as I can tell, were different. Most of the time in story and sometimes by gameplay.

Sometimes, the PS2 port will take cutscenes from the next-gen game.

Prime Example

Spider-Man 3 (XB360) versus Spider-Man 3 (PS2)

1. As stated above, cutscenes were taken from the XB360 version and placed in the PS2 version. So when you saw these awesome graphics during the cutscenes you would immediately notice that the graphics during gameplay were much, much different.

2. The gameplay and levels were completely different, and quick-time events from the XB port, which was a large part of the gameplay, were left out completely in the PS2 version.

3. One of the biggest differences (which in my opinion should of been added to the XB port) is that the Black Symbiote suit could be put on and taken off at will. But taking it off required you to input a set of button commands which became much harder after every time. This truly exemplified the theme that the symbiote would bond to it's host and wouldn't like to let go.

All that aside, my questions to you are these.

1.) Have you played any type of different ports to an identical game?

2.) If so, did you enjoy it?

3.) How do you feel about same game, different platform games?

Years
1)Well I've played a blazblue port for the 3ds which was originally on the ps3.

2)Yup, they did pretty well for the port. Some things like graphics got toned down a bit here and there... but pretty much all the features were still there so it was still good.

3) Honestly, despite answer (1) and (2). I'm not really THAT confident about same game different platforms. Its great when they can pull it off right. But when one version of the game is better than the other (and its really a wide gap), its just really irritating if you had your hopes up. Or if the other platform game has totally different features to better suit it.

Kind of like that recent mario & sonic olympics London game they made for the Wii(?) and the 3DS. You could really tell how inferior the 3DS version was.(Gameplay wise) And spec limitations aren't really a good excuse, since they showed it was possible to have a good game for the wii and ds entry back then.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow was originally made for PS3, but it was also ported to Xbox 360. I've played both versions. There's no big difference between them, really, other than graphics. The graphics in PS3 were slightly better, because the game was coded to take full advantage of the PS3 hardware. Here's a video that compares these two versions from side to side. I've also played Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, a game that was made for Nintendo 64 and now ported to the 3DS. This game has a lot of differences compared to the original. The full list could be found here.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
1.) Have you played any type of different ports to an identical game?

I played FIFA12 on iOS, then on Xbox360.

2.) If so, did you enjoy it?

Yes, didn't really start to stop enjoying it until around a month after I got a new Xbox (Wasn't expecting it, but got the Xbox a mere 2 weeks after my iPod).

3.) How do you feel about same game, different platform games?

Well, iOS FIFA was infinitely inferior, but it's to be expected - an Xbox360, even one of the old white ones that always get the red ring of death, have much more power than an iPod Touch (Which, incidentally, always heated up a lot when playing FIFA12).

Apple Juice

who are you
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 15, 2014
I've actually taken Rayman Origins for a spin on Xbox 360, the 3DS and iOS. Origins has been my favorite game to play as of late, and I own it on my 360. I've completed the story line of the game and currently in the process of filling out the hundreds of achievements available. I played the Origins sample on 3DS as well as a few level's while at my friends house, and I was certainly impressed with the way they incorporated the controls on to the handheld. It had about the same quality as on the Xbox, and this version was also portable. Finally, I tried the app out on a family member's iPhone. It wasn't up to par with the 3DS version, but for an app it exceeded my expectations. Overall, Origins is a good example for people that don't believe games can work on different consoles.

Back