PDA

View Full Version : The Transition from Cartridges to Downloads

Apple Juice
August 15th, 2013, 04:41 PM
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130509194821/althistory/images/e/ea/Super_Mario_64_Cartridge.jpg http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5138/5404469288_8bcb7f2e7d_o.jpg

Since the beginning of console video games, cartridges have been used as the base to any game sold. They've ranged in size, shape, color, and price, but one thing has generally been the same, they're always tangible. Recently, however, companies like Nintendo have been toying with a new idea. What if games weren't hard copies anymore? At first it was with the DSi and the shop that sold mini games for small prices. In the 3DS, we see that the games can be bought off the eShop for the same price found in regulation stores. Do you think at some point, the video gaming genre will convert completely to digital downloads, or will companies always offer the cartridge option? Would you like to see it one why or the other, and why? I'm interested to her what everyone else has to say.

Wobbu
August 15th, 2013, 07:16 PM
I think that soon all games will only be available by digital download. It would save companies money by not having to buy the materials needed for DVDs and cartridges. I prefer my games to be physical because I could still play them if something were to happen to my SD card/whatever other consoles use. The only exception would be my PC because of my decently large hard drive and Steam and Origin have a lot of sales :P

Aeroblast
August 15th, 2013, 09:36 PM
We're currently in the Information Age, where data can be sent digitally, thus rendering hardware more outdated, day-by-day. However, I personally prefer Physical copies because it feels like I actually own the games, and having a "library" of those games look quite nice. When I bought NSMB2 and MK7 digitally for convenience, looking back on it, it's probably one of the worst decisions I've made in the year 2013, because it doesn't really feel like I actually own those games, and the way eShop currently works, if you lose the console, you lose the games, too. It's a brain-dead, stupid decision on Nintendo's part.

Starlight Sprite
August 16th, 2013, 05:17 AM
Garage sales and thrift stores won't be the same without the occasional copy of Suikoden II or some other rare game priced for a couple of dollars. Jokes aside, my feelings couldn't be mor mixed on the matter. It's nice to have a physical copy of the game, and if I don't expect to play it again after beating it, I can sell it to GameStop or via EBay, etc. on the other hand, not having to go to the store to buy a game is convenient, and digital copies can never be sold out, so you'll always get your game on release day. I also have s tendency to lose cartridges, so storing multiple games on SD cards makes them easier to keep track of.

Much like with movies and music, the translation to all digital will be slow, but it will happen. Companies of all sorts are jumping on this for various reasons. It allows spread out markets to be reached quickly and saves costs for making cartridges, discs, etc.

«Chuckles»
August 16th, 2013, 05:25 AM
if this counts for CD's aswell I am kind of dissappointed by it because I love the feeling you get when you waltz into a shop... you grab the box off the shelf in such a fashion that everyone is blown away by your SWAG and then walking out after paying with it in the bag knowing you are going to read the manual on the way home...

I love getting new games mainly retail because of the sentimental value I feel for them

Peitharchia
August 16th, 2013, 05:39 AM
If you have cartridges, then you are able to trade them in and get a decent amount of money for them. With digital downloads, however, you cannot do that. You could either delete them, or move them over to a different memory card or hard drive. I still like downloaded games better, though, because they're never damaged, lost, or stolen. =)