PDA

View Full Version : Sad moments in gaming

Water Gym Leader
August 15th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Games aren't meant to be sad but for some game writers and developers they can't help but to put sad moments in video games.

For me the saddest moment in a video game was in Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations at the end of the Tale of Minato. For whatever ungodly reason I balled my eyes out at the end of that video, yet I keep watching it because its so good.

What are you saddest moments in video games?

Tlachtli
August 15th, 2013, 08:57 PM
In MGS3,
the moment after defeating The Boss when the game pauses the cutscene, patiently waiting for you to pull the trigger and kill her.
Hardest button press in any game I've played. A manly tear was shed.

T!M
August 16th, 2013, 02:38 AM
Currently the saddest moment I've experienced, which in the game is play-decided. But is very important to the games ending is...

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
The death of Mike Harper. During the mission of Achilles Veil as Farid you are asked to kill Harper by Raul Menendez (Main antagonist) to show your loyalty to him (and ultimately to maintain your cover as a double-agent for the CIA) You (again, as Farid) place the gun to his temple and are given the choice to kill Harper.

Doing it when I have to (To acquire the best ending) is always heart-breaking. Harper knows your the double-agent. And demands you kill him. His devotion to his country and his will to keep America safe is a testament to a good soldier.

After you kill him (provided you choose that path) Farid is incredibly broken. (Second reason you feel so bad) and David 'Section' Mason (Main protagonist) tells him he had no choice.

The reason this is sad is because 1. You have to kill your best friend of course. and 2. When you pull the trigger, Farid looks away, but when he turns back Harper's face is just... heart wrenching.

I absolutely despise making that choice and cover my eyes every time I must.

Peitharchia
August 16th, 2013, 05:06 AM
In Dark Souls, you meet a guy known as Onion Bro. He's looking for someone, but he doesn't provide you with enough information about them. Later during the game, you run into the person who this guy is looking for. Her name is Onion Sis, and she's his daughter. You eventually learn that Onion Bro and Onion Sis are reunited. Unfortunately, their reunion weren't lived for very long, because Onion Bro had died. His daughter is the one who killed him. This was definitely one of the saddest gaming moments in my life.

Another sad moment for me was Impa's death in Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. At the end of the game, Link and Zelda get the chance to travel back to their time and meet up with Impa. As soon as they see her, she starts fading away with the wind.

KriegStein
August 16th, 2013, 05:41 AM
In MGS3,
the moment after defeating The Boss when the game pauses the cutscene, patiently waiting for you to pull the trigger and kill her.

This. Also the whole ending of MGS4...every minute of it.

Some other moments that have left an impression on me:
The end of Castlevania Order of Ecclesia
The second case of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney. (Turnabout Sisters) And the final case of Trials And Tribulations
Just before the final battle in Okami and the "point of no return"
The bad ending in Persona 4 and the situation(s) before the choice that defines which ending you get.

Apple Juice
August 16th, 2013, 07:51 AM
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Final Fantasy VII's shock that honestly brought me the closest to tears I've ever been with a video game. In an RPG, death is taken for granted more than any other genre, as the characters experience it often in battle and brush it off with ease. No one expected what would happen in this specific RPG, though. Aerith, Cloud's love as well as an important party member, was stabbed by Sephiroth. Of course, that wasn't the part that made it the most jaw-dropping moment in video gaming. She would definitely come back, right? Then came the twist. She didn't. Contrary to everyone's hopes, she stayed dead and shocked every person to play the game.

Aside from that, Mother 3 holds yet another tear-jerking story line that's filled with tragic events an littered with sadness. What really gets you is that the game seems like yet another light hearted RPG, but the sudden turn to serious depression catches you off guard in a hurry, and you're left frowning at the screen. For me, the concepts and conflicts brought up in this game really made me think about my life and how grateful I am. If a game can do that, it has something special.

Aeroblast
August 16th, 2013, 07:58 AM
I know there aren't much information, but I still want to spoiler for courtesy sake. (I'm taking about FE: Awakening and Persona 3)

I just finished Chapter 9, the cutscene... I didn't expect such sad emotion welling up. :(

Speaking of which, I reluctantly (no, I'm not saying this is a bad game) finished Persona 3 couple days ago, even though I knew what was gonna happen, seeing the game finish by myself nearly made me cry. Very nearly.

Khawill
August 16th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Jason?
JAYson!?
JAYSON?!?!?!
*Screech*
*Crash*
Then the game just gets more and more depressing. Heavy Rain (and more recently The Last of Us) has the most depressing storyline in a videogame.

madisonblue96
August 16th, 2013, 08:01 AM
SAddest moments for me were at the end of zelda twilight princess whenmidna left and shattered her connection with the light world forever. I literally cried.

other moments that were really sad for me were:
- the ending to okami
- ending to metal gear solid 4
- ending to zelda skyward sword
-anytime I start a new file on a pokemon game *heartbreaking*
- ending to okamiden

TreeKangaroo
August 17th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Mother 3's ending was sad. How about the ending to okamiden? Poor Kurow. And when Midna loses her connection to the light world forever was also sad.:(

skyluigi2
August 17th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Professor Layton and the Lost Future's ending. Wow, that's sad... *sniff* ;-;

SinfulGuroRose
August 17th, 2013, 09:05 AM
There is at least one part in every Assassin's Creed game that just hurts my soul. ; A; Except the first one.
In AC:II, it was the Auditore Execution and the subsequent fallout. Although, it's tied closely by when you've collected all the feathers and Maria finally speaks again. Petruccioooooooo.

In Brotherhood, it was the death of Mario.

In Revelations, hooooooo. The death of Maria, and then Altaïr's death is probably the worst one. How he says goodbye to his sons and then dies all alone...

But ACIII, despite how I disliked it, hurt me most. Dkdjhaiuwie DesHMUND. He just accepted his fate like that... But I was also really sad when Connor killed Haytham, and for some reason also when he killed Charles Lee (even though I hated that bastard).

And also, there are lots of sad parts in DMMd, but I doubt I'm really allowed to talk about that game on these forums. > u>;;;

Arx
August 17th, 2013, 09:07 AM
The death of Zack Fair in Crisis Core : FF VII. Manly tears were shed that day. ;-;

Keizaal
August 17th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Assassin's Creed and some Bioshock spoilers
- Any Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game ever
-Bioshock Infinite's Ending where Elizabeth drowns Booker
-Lucy's death in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, even though she was a Templar
-Christina's death (shown) in Brotherhood
-Altair's death in Assassin's Creed Revelations.
-Desmond, Haytham, Ziio, Kanento:kon, and Achilles' death in Assassin's Creed 3. That game was painful on my heart. I just want to hug Connor for al the heartbreak he's been through. (Seeing his mother, Ziio, burn alive, being forced to kill his father, Haytham, and his best friend, Kanen, and finding his mentor Achilles dead without ever having the chance to say goodbye) The fact that Haytham even said that he was proud of Connor in a way made it even more heart wrenching
-oh goddamn the entirety of the Assassin's Creed franchise is full of pain and sadness
- The sad ending of Bioshock 2 when Delta chooses to die and you see Eleanor in tears. :'(
That's all I can think of right now :'(
EDIT: I'll just add that Ezio's father/brothers deathsurprisingly didn't affect me that much, probably because I knew already and Ezio mention it in his other two games. (I played the series in an irregular order, AC1, ACR, ACB, AC3, AC2)

TreeKangaroo
August 17th, 2013, 01:59 PM
How about in Skyrim where you kill Astrid?(if you did the dark brotherhood thing) Astrid was BEAST!

ShadowE
August 17th, 2013, 02:05 PM
In StarCraft Brood War.

The death of Fenix. I love Fenix so much, he was my favorite Protoss character. And the worst thing is: YOU kill Fenix as the Zerg brood under control by Kerrigan. It was literrally heartbreaking sending tons of Hydralisks and Zerglings at Fenix to kill him...

Foxrally
August 17th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Yusuf's Daeth in Assassin's Creed: Revelations, as well as Ezio's family's death from Assassin's Creed II. Yeah, AC is a pretty emotional game if you get into it.

BraveNewWorld
August 17th, 2013, 02:51 PM
It may have only just come out, but Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons was pretty sad.

Here's what I'm talking about. The guy sums it up quite nicely.
http://youtu.be/zGmicrYz8k0?t=3m

Alli
August 17th, 2013, 02:56 PM
The entire Mother 3 ending.

Amore
August 17th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Well, N in Pokémon Black and White is kinda tragic...really sad moments?

I think Ezio's father and brothers being hanged in ACII is up there, as is Connor's mother's death in ACIII. I don't really have many games that are real heavy on plot line other than Assassin's Creed tbh. Oh, Altair's sequences in ACRevelations are pretty darn sad too, particularly the one where his wife / partner dies. And Ezio's death in "Embers" - that's more sad because he's a character whose whole lifespan we've seen, and you can't help but be attached to him.

xxkaylabby
August 17th, 2013, 03:02 PM
The Last of Us
in the beginning, when sarah dies. i seriously cried.

Moogles
August 17th, 2013, 03:08 PM
+1 to the Mother 3 Ending.

I'm raising the entire Mass Effect series as a whole. Most emotionally manipulative video games I've ever played.

Awkward.
August 17th, 2013, 03:36 PM
THE ENDING OF MYSTERY DUNGEON: RED RESCUE TEAM. OH MY GOD. I just had tears streaming down my face. Everyone was crying, and then my partner and the crying and the sad mugshots and ugh I just get sad thinking about it. I can barely play that game anymore just because I don't like the ending.

Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky wasn't as bad, although I felt awful when my partner Courtney broke down on the beach. God, frickin game devs. Why do they have to make me get emotional over video games?

Keizaal
August 17th, 2013, 05:39 PM
How about in Skyrim where you kill Astrid?(if you did the dark brotherhood thing) Astrid was BEAST!
eh. I hated her from the start.
Yusuf's Daeth in Assassin's Creed: Revelations
OH MY GOD HOW COULD I FORGET YUSUF?!
And Ezio's death in "Embers"
I wasn't the BIGGEST fan of Ezio, but Embers left me BAWLING.

SomariFeyWright
August 17th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Hmm...

Well, I haven't played this one, but I recently discovered a game called "Klonoa". It looked like the cutest thing ever, as Caddicarus pointed out, but... hoo boy.

Now, I haven't actually played the game, nor do I understand it, but, god. I was tearing up when
Klonoa was struggling not to be pulled out of the world in the ending. I mean, my god, I barely understood past him not being of that world, and it was enough to leave me depressed anyway.

As well, Ace Attorney.
The final evidence presentation at the end of Justice for All starts off as any other, so you think you can just hop into it carefree, take a penalty, and get another chance.
... NOPE. You present the wrong witness and evidence, and you lose.
Phoenix runs out of the courtroom in a shameful guilt that will never fade, a guilty man is free, a WOMAN DRIVEN TO NEAR-SUICIDE TAKES HIS PLACE, and you never even see Maya again. Gods, talk about harsh.

Fire Emblem: Awakening:
HOLY SWEET NAGA CHAPTER 10
Just a chapter before, a very important character... the benevolent ruler of an entire land, beloved by all... Emmeryn... had died in the previous chapter because of Gangrel's actions. This leaves the Shepherds in shambles, but they press on to take Gangrel down. You then run in to another portion of Gangrel's army. The leader expresses sarcastic sympathy, claiminf to sympathize with the Shepherds, and claims to ensure their safety if they surrender. Of course, the Shepherds refuse, and the leader promises to make their deaths swift.

Two things you'll quickly notice about the map is that its raining, and a very much different-than-usual song is playing... a sad song. This song resumes even as you engage in combat with the enemy soldiers.

As the battle resumes, one of the soldiers tells the leader he does not want to fight, having heard Emmeryn's final words himself. This leads the leader to show that he himself does not want to fight, and is only pressing on because Gangrel has his family as hostage. He then tells his soldiers they can leave if they wish, saying he will take the heat for them. They stay solely out of loyalty for the leader.

No side wants to fight. But no side will back down. And the fight won't end until the other side has lost, no matter how much they don't wish to make such happen.
... Also, the game's classic death quotes, all depressing.

... I'd name more, but that's enough for now.

Stay tuned for Part 2~!

Team Fail
August 17th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Mine is in Final Fantasy VI's credits. There's so much loss in it. Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=70B1beoX3bM&t=963

Basically from there. But apart from that, it's gotta be...

Celes' attempted suicide scene

or the Opera Show. There's no spoilers, but it is really sad.

WwHrQdC02FY

Sir Servine
August 18th, 2013, 01:54 AM
In MGS3,
Servine Ser Ser Vine Vine. (I completed the 3DS version of that recently.)

Vine Ser Ser Servine Servine Vine Ser. ;~; (It was the first game to make me cry. ;~; )