PDA

View Full Version : Your Breaking Point

Apple Juice
August 17th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Everybody has played a video game that has completely and utterly stumped them. Maybe it's not the entire game, but a level or area that you just can't seem to get past. Of course, being the proud gamer you are, resorting to guides is the last thing you would do. Bravely, you trek on, attempting to solve the puzzle or complete the level or kill the boss. Hour after hour, you collect the items needed, you look for the missing animal, and as the time goes on, you get more and more angry with your lack of success. Finally, you just can't take it anymore. You have a life to live, and wasting it on getting through a level isn't worth it! So you decide to open your browser and search for help on the web. You find something, and begin to put it to use. No luck. You're still stumped. Infuriated, you try a various number of tactics, techniques, and strategies, but nothing seems to work. And that's usually the breaking point. The game is abruptly shut off, the console thrown across the room, and the pint of ice cream is purchased. What's your breaking point? How long will you try to solve a problem or level in a game before stopping? How many times have you done so in one game?

I'd like to hear what others have to say about this. :]

Wobbu
August 17th, 2013, 10:11 PM
I used to have such a low breaking point. I had absolutely no patience and would immediately ragequit if I continuously failed. I've gotten much better with that over the years, now I only rage if something with a 1% chance of occurring occurs repeatedly (which often tends to happen).

The source of half of my childhood rage:

http://www.gamersbliss.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/trouble-with.jpg

The other half was (and still is) from Mario Kart. I would have my days where I could not win a single race. Those were dark days...

Peitharchia
August 18th, 2013, 01:24 AM
I don't really tend to get upset over a video game. If I'm stuck on a level or feel kind of irritated, then I'll just take a break and play the game again when I want to. If I still remain stuck on my second try, then I'll quit playing the game for a few weeks and move onto something else. I do get angry sometimes during online play, though, and the reason for that is the amount of lag time. It's quite unfair when others beat your player just because you were unable to move due to a lag. D:

T!M
August 18th, 2013, 03:12 AM
Every Legend of Zelda ever. I am not a man of puzzles. Call me a barbarian when it comes to a video game, but puzzles stump me. I may get it eventually, but it takes countless hours of exploring previous rooms in the dungeon.

Also, a game that frustrated me enough to turn it off was Castlvania the one for the GBA (With the moon in the background) *looks at game folder* Aria of Sorrows! That one. The f'n Werewolves that just spam their rush technique was too much for me. Haven't played it since.

Talli
August 18th, 2013, 04:52 AM
The Secert Shine Sprites from Super Mario Sunshine, Just make me want to throw my Gamecube out the window.

Arca09
August 18th, 2013, 04:56 AM
Every Legend of Zelda ever. I am not a man of puzzles. Call me a barbarian when it comes to a video game, but puzzles stump me. I may get it eventually, but it takes countless hours of exploring previous rooms in the dungeon.

As someone who just started playing playing his first LoZ recently...(The OoT one) I can completely agree with this.
I just get stumped everytime... and its so tempting to use the sheikah stone, but being a gamer this is completely a violation. xD

Anyways, as for my breaking point. I think it always happens with puzzles... cause I just don't work with puzzles. Like PROFESSOR LAYTON. I still haven't completed that game and will probably never come back to it. I can totally nail Ace Attorney though, I have no idea why.

Its also in megaman games... and those final stages with all the spikes. *sigh* But puzzles are still my main problem.

xxkaylabby
August 18th, 2013, 07:05 AM
My breaking point is with the puzzles. i pretty much go insane and end up shutting the game off and trying it later. I love the uncharted series, and it had puzzles >.< drove me insane, but i got through it all!