PDA

View Full Version : Video Games + Religon

Miss Doronjo
August 18th, 2013, 06:15 AM
http://egamer.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/video-game-last-supper.jpg

Now, this topic was inspired by watching the AVGN Nerd's episode about the Bible Games for the NES, etc. There was games that were inspired by Christianity - like Moses, Joshua, Sunday Funday(???) and so on. However, obviously there has been controversy within making video games based upon religion. Some parts of the media has an idea that having religious icons, symbols, places in video games is wrong and in insult to the religion that it has taken the image from.

But, what do you think?

Do you think it's wrong to inappropriate religion into video games?
Could the media be overreacting?
Is there a line to cross before video games takes religion too far? (ie inappropriate usage of religious symbols)
Any other thoughts?

machomuu
August 18th, 2013, 07:01 AM
I love when video games introduce religion into their stories and worlds, especially real ones or religions that reflect real ones. I see video games as much of a legitimate platform for storytelling as movies and books, which do the same thing. When I see games like Bioshock Infinite, that boldly take a religion and play with it and its extremes, and series like Shin Megami Tensei, that present religious figures in sometimes terrifyingly accurate lights (personality-wise, not physically), it makes me happy to see these wall between the platforms being knocked down.

Religion is, after all, a core of many cultures and, as such, many video games. Even if it's not prominent, it's usually in some way pointing towards an existing religion. Now, Bible Games, I'd say, is an overreaction. That was pretty much the same case as if someone had made a hardcover storybook for the same purpose. However, it seems that there's some stigma against any religion in video games at all, and that's to be expected, even if it isn't warranted. I feel that the assumption is that religion in games is immediately an insult, because you would then be putting religion on the same level of a child's game and would probably be forming an opinion on the issue as well. It's a silly, definitely, but its inevitable. For now.

xxkaylabby
August 18th, 2013, 07:01 AM
That picture is great lol.

Anyways, i think it wouldn't be a good idea to add religion into video games. There would be a lot of controversy, plus people probably wouldn't buy the game if it offended them. Religion is always a tough subject, so video games should just stay away from it.

Pinkie-Dawn
August 18th, 2013, 08:10 AM
Extra Creditz has mentioned that religion in video games brings us a ton of ideas to create an epic story, but they're left untouched due to the rising number of atheists and agnostics in terms of modern science, so religious groups may not be the only ones who will be insulted to having their religion referenced.

Apple Juice
August 18th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Religion is an interesting and controversial topic wherever it goes, and video gaming is no exception. I think it's acceptable in mild forms, and even if it's prominent in a game, developers don't go so far as to outwardly mention the religion showcased. Symbols of religion such as that picture is obviously simple and harmless, but I think it starts to get bad when video games suggest conflict in religion, or bring up topics that have been debated by the religion in real life; basically ones that are hard to discuss in any situation.

I think the media is overreacting, as there's no way religion will be completely ignored in video games. It's too big of a figure in real life, and a good portion of games are based off of real-life scenarios and themes. Honestly, it doesn't have to be seen as flaunting a religion or bashing another, in most cases it's just adding more flavor and detail to the game's story. Unfortunately, there's no way of getting around the fact that people will not think of it in those simple terms and make assumptions, etc. That's just how society works.

There definitely is a line, but as far as I know it hasn't been crossed recently. Religious images, if at all placed in a game, are minor and not even able to be viewed by the player. It could be as simple as a decoration to a room; even to add more back story to a character by giving them a cross necklace. In that case, I don't see what the harm is. If people are allowed to express their religious interests in the form of accessories and symbols, why can't video game characters do the same? It's not like if children aren't exposed to religion in games, they won't be in real life. There's no way of getting around that.

In summary, religion has its place in video games, albeit small.