PDA

View Full Version : I'm on Level 129

Apple Juice
August 18th, 2013, 07:44 PM
A common element in video games has always been levels. In some, they shape the entirety of game play and are the sole basis of the storyline. In others, levels are a miniscule part of the game and are only used to chop the plot up into sections, and nothing more. In games with more depth and background, do you like having levels? Why or why not? In games that utilize levels more often such as Rayman or Mario, do you like it when the quantity of levels is higher, or the quality? What are your standards for a level, and what has been your favorite level in a video game? Discuss your opinions on them in this thread, and if you like answer some of the sample questions I offered! I'd like to hear what you have to say. :]

Fairy
August 18th, 2013, 10:35 PM
This is an interesting question.

I like games that are segmented into different levels as, more often than not, they break up the game into easily consumable doses. Like reading chapters of a book, almost. But that's just me because I tend to have a hard time taking anything in moderation lol. They also function as a great environmental pivot, allowing for a complete change in the world you're playing. I think that keeps the game both visually appealing and more fun to play. As for important elements in a level, I think a gradual and appropriate increase in difficulty (by way of more enemies and obstacles) reflecting the end of the level is up there on the list. I mean, the levels themselves don't need to be based in reality, but it definitely should feel organic and natural to the player. So I guess I'm a quality > quantity kind of girl.

Favorite level is hard to pinpoint, to be honest. I can't come up with anything off the top of my head, but I'm a sucker for anything underwater! ;3

«Chuckles»
August 18th, 2013, 11:15 PM
As a World of Warcraft player levels is everything you hit level 70 and you feel like you can tackle the world, plus everything gets easier from there on especially since you can cheat low level players for money for running them through dungeons

Peitharchia
August 19th, 2013, 01:52 AM
Due to all the reasons that have been stated in posts above me, I, too, enjoy games that are separated into levels. Mario is my favorite level-based game. My favorite level is from New Super Mario Bros. U, which is called Shifting-Floor Cave. This is the seventh level of world six (also known as Rock-Candy Mines). Sonic is also my favorite. My favorite Sonic game was Sonic Rush, and from this game, my favorite level was Huge Crisis. The boss that's been featured in this level was very hard to beat.