PDA

View Full Version : Life Support

Apple Juice
August 18th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Dying is not nearly as important in the video gaming world as it is in real life, but there are some games that get it pretty close. In series like Mario and the Legend of Zelda, lives are used to determine how much energy the player has left. Once they've been weakened to the point that they're out of lives (or hearts, in Link's case), they die. In other games, such as Sonic 06, you get a few chances to complete a section of the entire game, and if you die enough times, you must restart from the beginning. Of course, this aspect of video games varies extremely with every series out there, so what I've already mentioned is by no means the only two scenarios to be discussed in this thread. Describe your thoughts on lives and dying in video games, and whether it should be valued more or less! Would it be a good idea to make dying have more of a negative impact? Why or why not? Share all your thoughts on the topic in this thread!

Wobbu
August 18th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Dying has never been a big deal in the games that I play. I always end up accumulating 99 lives in the Mario games, so I could die loads of times and still be fine. Even if I got a game over, I wouldn't lose any progress. In Skyrim, you respawn wherever you last saved your game, and the game constantly autosaves, so dying isn't a big deal in that game either. Every game I play is like that, but I'm not mad about it. If I had to restart a game whenever I died a certain amount of times, let's just say I'd never finish that game. I'm an incredibly careless player :P

Miss Doronjo
August 19th, 2013, 09:18 AM
I just hate the games on where you die, you'd have to start right at the beginning of the game. And ugh, I can't tell you how many times the NES games have done this. u_u I do like games like Donkey Kong Country Returns for the Wii & 3Ds where if you die enough times, you can get a guide on how to complete the level, which is nice to fall back on! I just feel that it's natural to die in video games, because well, with new video games, we die every now and then until we perfect our playstyles, right?

Cassino
August 19th, 2013, 10:02 AM
An interesting read on the subject would be Yahtzee's thoughts in Extra Punctuation (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/8753-Death-in-Videogames).