PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly Effect (Every Action...)

T!M
August 19th, 2013, 03:38 PM
How do you feel about games that provide a choice in the beginning or middle of the game that will affect a later outcome near or at the end of the game?

How important are these choices to you and how do you go about deciding on them?

Do you make choices based on who you are as a person or do you choose based on defiance or curiosity?

And, in conclusion, how do you feel about these games as a whole?

Miss Doronjo
August 19th, 2013, 04:49 PM
To be perfectly honest, I don't really... tend to enjoy these sort of games since I'm more of a fan of the traditional linear "perfect happy go lucky epic endings..." even if that makes me seem a little.. predictable.

However, I will say it's quite unique and interesting to see where your choices will lead too. Like in Shin Megumi Tensei 4, your choices will decide that you will be in the same side as the heavens, the demons, or just a neutral side. All 3 have pretty interesting endings, and weird... twists behind them. XD In choices like these, I try to be as neutral as I can, so I can get the "best ending" to a game.

Peitharchia
August 19th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Whenever I play decision-making games, I always think twice before choosing an option. Mass Effect is a game where you've had to make a lot of decisions. One of the most important decisions was at the beginning of the game, where you were required to determine Shepard's background and psychological profile. Depending on your choices, he could either be a kind-hearted gentleman, a compassionate hero, or a cold-blooded guy who does whatever it takes to get his job done.

xxkaylabby
August 19th, 2013, 06:53 PM
decision making games, that reminds me of infamous. i always decide on what best fits the situation ideally. i'll go back to play the evil side later :P

T!M
August 20th, 2013, 09:42 AM
When games have choices I always feel overwhelmed. Especially choices that come out of no where and seem minuscule and I'm pelted with thoughts like: "Aw, crap. How much is this going to change the game later?" For example in Bioshock: Infinite

When the girl asks you to choose between the coin with the bird on it or the coin with the cage on it.

Anyway, I base choices on the situation as if it were a real world. For example. In Fable 3

When Logan forces you to choose between your girlfriend or a group of protesters to be killed.

I chose the latter because I thought how selfish it would be to save one person close to me and do away with a group of others.

It was a moral choice and that's normally how I base my choices. Sometimes the game angers me (Story wise) and I pick my choices like that. For example in Black Ops 2

I was so angry that Menendez tricked Woods into killing Mason, making Woods a cripple and killing Farid that I had decided, by the end of the game, I'm going to kill Menedez when the opportunity comes up.

So that's how I go about dealing with these games.

Apple Juice
August 20th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Games like these can be annoying, because I don't want to make the wrong decision. I usually end up googling it and spoiling the outcome to make sure I get what I want, haha. In the most extreme cases of this type of game, I feel like it's wrong to change that much about the game when most people probably just want to see what happens; nothing different.

As for how I choose, it's usually so I get what I want lmao. In some games I've chosen based on my opinions as a person, but that's only if I know what'll happen once I do. Games with this effect can be fun or a headache. xD