PDA

View Full Version : Hand Holding | "Who Asked You?"

T!M
August 20th, 2013, 12:20 PM
How do you feel about games that hold your hand and basically spoon feed you information or ways to beat the level. Who give you things in-game to make your fight easier when you've done nothing to the NPC who gave it to you?

Do you feel like being independent game is challenging? Or do you prefer to have an ally or someone whispering in your ear.

A Game that leave you twisting in the wind but are possible to beat.

Megaman X: This game offered no tutorial level and no one gave you hints to do what you needed to. You learned your way through the game via trial and error. Truly a fun way to experience a video game.

A Game that holds your hand like a child.

Pokémon SoulSilver and HeartGold: Many things you figured out for yourself or were ultimately optional in G/S/C (The Old Tour Guide in Cherrygrove or The Day Care Centre) are now forced onto you to learn.

_____

In conclusion, do you prefer helpful game or do you like to fly solo?

xxkaylabby
August 20th, 2013, 12:50 PM
i think i do prefer helpful games so that way i can follow the steps to make sure i'm playing the game right:P but it's no fun when the game tells you everything!

Apple Juice
August 20th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Don't deny that you got this thread idea from reading one of my comments, hahaha. :]

I guess I don't like it, but I think small doses of it can have a huge effect on the game, and for the better. Pokemon uses it excessively at the beginning, to the point where it got annoying. In other cases like the Zero spin-offs from Megaman, I felt there was a lack of assistance throughout the game and you more or less had to figure things out by yourself. As with many other elements in gaming, a good balance should be the goal.

T!M
August 20th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Don't deny that you got this thread idea from reading one of my comments, hahaha. :]

I didn't. ._.

Anyway,

When I play games a little assistance is appreciated. But I would like my information to be given on request only. I don't like when my character is basically tackled by an NPC and dragged somewhere to watch them teach you how to do it.

What happened to the games where they asked you a question and they respected your decision and left when you said no?

You know how to use a phone right?

Uh... Yeah.

Don't you just choose a name on your phone and press A to talk to them?

...sigh...

Aeroblast
August 20th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Middle ground is the best, obviously, or at least let it be just an option. It's quite annoying if you played a game before and the game "spoon feeds" you every time you start a new damn game.

Plumpyfoof
August 25th, 2013, 05:42 AM
I think I like a little bit of a hint if I've been wandering around for ages. Sort of similar to what Ellie did in the Last Of Us, though she'd usually just be nagging me when I haven't finished ransacking the place. So maybe give me some time to finish doing what I'm doing first.

Unknown#
August 25th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Tutorials should be there for people who have never played the game before, but there should be an option to not go through the tutorial for those who have played the game before (and especially for those who are veterans of a series).

A good (bad?) example of tutorials done horribly wrong are Pokemon Black and White Versions 2. Seriously game. I know how to use the freakin Pokemon Center! Let me get on with the game!

However, I think the tutorials were perfect in the Gen 1 and 2 games. The tutorials were there, but were optional, so you only had to go through them if you wanted to catch Missingno. hadn't played the game before. With the exception of the Phone in GSC, the first two generations handled tutorials perfectly.

Atomic Pirate
August 25th, 2013, 12:43 PM
I hate when a game forces me to play an extremely long tutorial or tells me what to do the whole time. Also, I'm fine with a small explanation of the control scheme, but I really despise what, say, the new Pokemon games have been doing in over-the-top tutorials. The first few generations didn't have them, so why add them in now? Honestly, the ridiculous hand-holding has made me stop playing the new games, and I have yet to get past the 7th gym in B2/W2. I'm expecting much of the same in X/Y.

Good examples of how to handle tutorials are TES V: Skyrim, which didn't really have a tutorial at all, just small prompts telling you the control scheme, and BioShock, which had a miniscule 5 minute tutorial that did nothing more than give you a basic understanding of the controls and setting. An older good example would be the first Ratchet & Clank game, which had a tutorial in the form of messages, but could be turned off.

Nuke
August 25th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Middle ground is the best, obviously, or at least let it be just an option. It's quite annoying if you played a game before and the game "spoon feeds" you every time you start a new damn game.

This. Especially Pokémon, the thirty minutes or so of each Pokémon version is excruciating for someone who has played them all.

While I accept this sort of spoon feeding at the start of a game as annoying as it is, it becomes a real problem if you're still getting tips at the end of one.

Pära
August 30th, 2013, 04:24 AM
Just make tutorials optional please. Ridiculous amounts of hand-holding can make me quit a game just as I quit a game when I have no idea what the rules are. I find optional tutorials in the form of optional messages help boost the overall experience and makes the replay value of a game skyrocket due to me knowing I won't have to slog through a got couple hours of tutorials just to play through a game again.

A big offender to the tutorial overkill is Nintendo. I can understand them trying to appeal to everyone, but the amount of tutorials and skip level keys in some of there recent games just panders to the casual gamer and talks down to the core/hardocre gamer.

Major Ziggs
August 30th, 2013, 09:30 AM
I prefer games that have a tutorial-esque level at the start that forces you to learn the controls to progress, but in such a way that they aren't just spoon feeding you every single part. It's better when you have to work out how to do things yourself then work out how to build on those skills to get through the first level or two until you know how to play with only the really complicated things being explained in-game, but when it says something like "Press X" every five seconds and they spoon feed you every single thing it gets really irritating haha.

skyluigi2
August 30th, 2013, 09:51 AM
If games are complicated, then it's fine for them to have tutorials. Having said that, I enjoy the thrill of finding things out for yourself. "What does this button do? ...Oops, I just exploded".

Cherrim
August 31st, 2013, 11:05 PM
Give me the option to skip a tutorial but make sure there's some kind of tutorial. If I'm replaying a game or I've seen how it works already, I shouldn't have to sit there while the game holds my hand. Some games don't need anything to be picked up, sure, but I don't think it hurts to have a good example and explanation if anyone needs it.

I really liked how Tales of Xillia did this. Every time a new mechanic would pop up, it offered me the choice of viewing the tutorial for it or not. If I wanted to see it, it walks you through it clearly without treating you too stupidly. If you don't want to see it, it skips it--plain and simple. If you ever need a refresher on how something works or need to read up on something you skipped, all the information you need is listed in the menu under the Battle Book. Anything not related to game mechanics is explained through the plot in a way that isn't too terribly contrived.