PDA

View Full Version : Paper Mario

Apple Juice
August 21st, 2013, 06:31 PM
http://png-4.findicons.com/files/icons/2297/super_mario/256/paper_mario.png

Famous for its unique graphics and paper-like physics, Paper Mario is a role-playing spin-off of the original Mario series. It's first game was released on Nintendo 64 in 2000, and has evolved since then. The most recent addition to this line of Mario games is Paper Mario: Sticker Star for the 3DS. The most distinctive element of these games is the combination of 2D and 3D components to create a paper-like feel to characters and items in the game. Personally, Super Paper Mario was one of my favorite video games, and I played it non-stop for a few days.

Discuss your thoughts about these games here! I'd love to hear your opinion.

Peitharchia
August 21st, 2013, 07:19 PM
Paper Mario is not a bad series at all. It's kind of underrated, actually.

My favorite game was Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. I used to play it every weekend when I still had my GameCube. My favorite chapter was "Of Glitz and Glory." In this chapter, you had to compete in a series of 20 challenges, where you had to climb up the ladder and fight enemies that you have never fought before. You were also able to uncover a lot of mysteries throughout the end of the chapter, which was quite intriguing.

skyluigi2
August 21st, 2013, 10:22 PM
I really, really love the Paper Mario series. Nintendo aren't afraid to experiment with the series... which cause Super Paper Mario and Paper Mario: Sticker Star. Sticker Star is still a good game, but Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is definitely one of the best games I've ever played. I've played through it so many times, and even now, it doesn't feel almost ten years old.

The Dark Avenger
August 21st, 2013, 10:55 PM
Paper Mario is not a bad series at all. It's kind of underrated, actually.

My favorite game was Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. I used to play it every weekend when I still had my GameCube. My favorite chapter was "Of Glitz and Glory." In this chapter, you had to compete in a series of 20 challenges, where you had to climb up the ladder and fight enemies that you have never fought before. You were also able to uncover a lot of mysteries throughout the end of the chapter, which was quite intriguing.

Agreed, agreed, agreed! Though, you forgot to mention you get to hatch a baby yoshi with a variety of designs and color palettes.

It seems like the first, unofficial Paper Mario game was Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars for the Super Nintendo. If you haven't played it, I would highly recommend it. It's formatted similar to Sticker Star as far as the 3d perspective, though the game is far superior! Plus, you may use Bowser and Peach as partners. If compared with the other titles in the series it is really a standout, but not quite as much as the 64 and GC versions.

Some Gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JFvwVnOlbM

Paper Mario 64, one of my all time favorite 64 games. It had everything! The same with the Thousand Year Door, which is my third favorite GC game next to Twilight Princess and The Collosseum Games. There is a reason why this game remains so expensive, it's highly collectible and sought after! The character developments of the partners and villains are what sold the games as well as the beautiful and diverse scenery. The GC version had the same great mechanics as the 64 games, except the graphics were sharpened and the story-line was more intricate. These two games are my favorites of the series; the GC version barely edging out in first over the 64 version.

Then we have Super Paper Mario. I would suggest to just play mario world platform games if this sort of game was your thing. It's not really an rpg anymore and completely disappointed me. The graphics were well executed, but even then, the partners were scribbles! Scribbles! The taste level of the graphics was just not there whatsoever. The characters and enemies looked like children designed them, non-creative children at that! I can't even go into how much I HATE this game. By far the worst Paper Mario!

Lastly, there is Sticker Star for the 3DS, could it be the salvation of the series? It's a mixed bag. I love the aesthetic! It is familiar yet refreshing, none of that oddball design that was uncharacteristic of the series like in Super Paper Mario. Also, it is an RPG AGAIN!!! But...no partners!!!! Also, the map is like mario world, disjointed and segmented. The one change I did like that is different from the 64/GC was the battle perspective, similar to Super Mario RPG! Though, it doesn't feel like I am exploring a new world that is somehow connects diverse landscapes and characters. Thank god for the nostalgic graphics and battle mechanics, they really salvage the game. Frankly though, I don't know if I would purchase another Paper Mario release if it had the same/similar characteristics of this one.

Super Mario RPG - 8
Paper Mario 64 - 9
Thousand Year Door - 10
Super Paper Mario - 2
Sticker Star - 5.5

Miss Doronjo
August 22nd, 2013, 06:03 AM
I love the paper mario series, but yeah, I was really disappointed with Super Paper Mario & Sticker Star sort of. Well, the latter is okay, but the former was just.. not.. Paper Mario material. XD

I love the Thousand year old door too, and it's my absolute favourite in the series. <3

skyluigi2
August 22nd, 2013, 09:11 AM
I love the paper mario series, but yeah, I was really disappointed with Super Paper Mario & Sticker Star sort of. Well, the latter is okay, but the former was just.. not.. Paper Mario material. XD

I love the Thousand year old door too, and it's my absolute favourite in the series. <3

Yeah, out of every Paper Mario fan I know, this is pretty much what they think. I really hope Nintendo realise this and create a game like Thousand Year Door again.

Darkrai Lv.1000
August 22nd, 2013, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I'm hoping for another Paper Mario game with that "Thousand-Year Door" feel. Super Paper Mario was cool even though it was pretty much a sidescroller (it also had the darkest story), and Sticker Star was... meh (my least favorite of the four; I didn't like it). But I really want another "true" Paper Mario RPG. I'm talking battle commands, a deep story, partners with personality, humor (especially from Bowser), chapter interludes, experience, leveling up, and the like. Sticker Star had none of that. Well, they did have some humor, but none from Bowser, who never talked at all.

IMO, Thousand-Year Door was the pinnacle of Paper Mario games. I've played and beaten this game countless times, and it never bores me, especially the 3rd chapter with the Glitz Pit. I sometimes find myself playing it again when I get bored. I still remember seeing the commercial for the game on TV and going "I want that!"

My ranking (from worst to greatest)
Sticker Star
Super Paper Mario
Thousand-Year Door

(Am I the only one who likes Super Paper Mario but hates Sticker Star?)

Went
August 22nd, 2013, 01:12 PM
No, I absolutely loved Super Paper Mario. Gameplay wasn't too great but the plot was superb and the ending was incredibly heartwarming. The secene in which Blumiere swore revenge against the world was one of the best I have ever seen in a game. This song still makes me want to cry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOpjlNcJ5O0). But Sticker Star had a lacking gameplay and no plot whatsoever- a Wiggler in World 3 was the only character worth mentioning in the entire game.

I still hope I can play a true sequel to TTYD someday.