PDA

View Full Version : Gaming headsets?

Twiggy
August 22nd, 2013, 06:51 AM
So, what advantages do gaming headsets give me? Consider all standard stereo, virtual surround, and true surround gaming headsets. I'm thinking of getting one very soon, as a sort of a personal birthday gift to myself.

(Of course, if it has no microphone, it doesn't count as a headset.)

(Technically, any headset can be used as a virtual surround headset for me, as I've got Razer Surround (http://www.razerzone.com/surround) installed on my laptop. It works. Let's just say that most games don't give you a proper spatial experience at only stereo audio.)

Tsutarja
August 22nd, 2013, 09:04 AM
Went ahead and moved this to Video Games since it seems more fitting over here.

Kanzler
August 22nd, 2013, 09:16 AM
ohhh hehe it gives you a conveniently placed mic, that's all :P iunno, i bought one for like $50 and kind of regret it but not really because i can skype people with it. that's mostly what i use it for now :P

T!M
August 22nd, 2013, 12:03 PM
I heard an RC-XD (For those who don't know, an RC-XD is a remote control car with C4 on it that can be controlled by a player in Multiplayer) in Black Ops 1 and spazzed out because it sounded incredibly close to me. I wig out, looking left and right for it. Then i hear it explode. Turns out is was outside the 2 story building I was in.

Hope that helps.

Emburn
August 22nd, 2013, 12:07 PM
I have used Turtle beaches and let's just say you can hear enemies walking up to you. You have to adjust and learn the sounds, though. It's kinda terrifying at first. After that, you become pro.

xxkaylabby
August 22nd, 2013, 01:16 PM
all i know is that you can talk to people when playing multiplayer. i have yet to get my turtle beach head sets :P

Mr. Avocado
August 22nd, 2013, 03:23 PM
I always talk to my friends when I play so having a headset is necessary for me, and you can move your head around without sounding any quieter. Also, the audio is concentrated in your ears so you hear everything very clearly and how well the sound is produced and heard depends on your headset. I use Turtle Beaches because the audio and microphone both work amazingly.

Tlachtli
August 22nd, 2013, 06:18 PM
I remember playing CodMod2 when I first bought my headset (Turtle Beach X11s, Amazon had them on sale). With SitRep Pro, I could hear someone crawling in the grass on the other side of Wasteland. The downside was that when a harrier got called over me, I almost went deaf.

That's a bit of an exaggeration, but not by much. The advantage of being able to hear everything is nice, but not worth more than about $20-30. Try to get a nicer set when they go on sale or something.

New Eden
August 22nd, 2013, 08:49 PM
The speakers are next to your ears instead of a few feet away allowing you to hear enemy noises. Quite handy sometimes, but I hardly used them because I'd play music during multi games when I played (unless I was with friends.)

When I played shooters and stuff on console I used a Tritton AX 720 (they were $120, but they were worth it.) The two TB ones I got were complete doodoo.

Brane
August 22nd, 2013, 09:04 PM
Depends on what you're doing with them. If you're playing games as a hobby or to just have some fun, gaming headsets aren't really all that vital. The main things they offer you are a mic to communicate with and they to a certain extent block out sound (depending on how much you spend). For these features you really shouldn't spend over one hundred dollars.

The more expensive are for the competitive group. They allow faster and clearer communication between team mates as well as clean sound and directional sound. They're vital for first person shooters if you plan on playing competitively. I know they helped me very much in the Halo series, but even then I was playing socially.

You get what you pay for, but if you're not very enthusiastic about them I'd move away from Turtle Beaches (teribble headsets) which are obviously marketed at those with no history with headsets. Try to stick to brands such as Gamecom, Steelseries and Razer (If you're on console) and Sennheiser and possibly the Gamecom Commander (if you're on PC). It really comes down to whether you want to make the investment.

I use mine for games, music, movies, anything. Great sound, noise cancellation etc. They're something you definitely should research into if you plan on purchasing. But yeah, they're handy.

Azure Rathalδs
August 23rd, 2013, 05:05 AM
I don't use gaming headsets at all. I just use some overhead headphones and my laptop and chat via Skype to other people. Works fine enough, and I've always had issues with built-in mic chat services (although the Xbox One's Skype services seem to fix that).