PDA

View Full Version : A (long) introduction.

PokéPuck
August 30th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Sup? {XD}

My name is Jader, whether you which to refer to me as Jader or by my username is down to you.

Let me tell you a little bit about myself.

I don't come from a particularly rich background from my walk in Sao Paulo. My father was a carpenter and my mother a housewife. And though now I live a much easier life in England, I am proud of my upbringing. It taught me handwork and diligence. Most importantly the move in itself taught me that adaptation is for survivors. If you think about it Dinosaurs were these huge and powerful creatures that were dominant 231 million years ago and ruled earth for 160 million years, yet they all died out. These big and monstrous animals couldn't adapt and adjust to whatever definitively killed them. Whereas something as small as a cockroach, from up to 295 million years ago has managed to adapt and can still live to this day. Adaptation is very important.

When I see combat of any sort, I see all a whole range of exciting and new possibilities. I see (MMA) fighting as:

An art
A way to live by
A tactical sport

At UFC 1 Royce Gracie shocked the world when he submitted Gerard Gordeau within minutes for the first ever title. The reason he was able to do something? He had something no one before him had, had. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Invented by the Gracie family, Royce used the unknown methods of his family's art to shock the world. Royce went on to tap out (within minutes of the first round) 500 pound sumo wrestlers, Akebono, that stand over 6ft tall. Royce; the cockroach, tapped out Akebono; the dinosaur. The rest of the world followed in the art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Those who adapt survive.

So who am I? I am a survivor.

I grew up working hard, taking a beating from bullies, and at the end of it all it made me a stronger and more popular person.

I trained in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu from 7-years-old to fend off bullies. Let me tell you; I wanted to give up so bad. The reason? I kept getting beat up. I thought I'd be amazing at Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu to start with, and that all my problems would go away. Boy was I wrong. After a year of doing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu I still couldn't take my bullies. I felt like crap. Several years later and I currently hold my black belt and I am a gold medalist in England and various other countries. Only 2 years ago I took up Muay Thai and here I stand, proud. My striking game isn't what it could be; but I adapt and I survive. I can't go into a real fight with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu alone. So I am adapting.

I have a pair of Japanese Samurai swords hanging above my bed, they will be used one day -- when I have the time.

For now I train, I study at School, and in my downtime I am playing Pokemon.

I know this was a long intro thread, so thank you for reading it if you did.

Sheep
August 30th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Oh, bullies.. I was bullied a fair bit when I was younger myself, though luckily not as much as others. It was just the occasional bully stealing my watch (my fault for giving it to her though, sigh) and people putting in gum in my hair. I didn't do much to combat that, though.. it's great that you tried so hard to prevent it and better yourself. :o I'm impressed! Welcome to the forum, Jader.

But your intro was long in a very good way. Not often do I get to read such interesting introductions - yours has definitely made it to my top five coolest ones. I'm sure you're going to be one of our most memorable new members, hehe. I'm sure you'd be able to join the amazing PC fitness club (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=301326) and talk more about your training experiences there - it's a neat little club and since you have such an interesting story and sport preference, you'll definitely fit in very well! :D By the way, if I may ask, what are you studying right now? I'm in my fifth year of university and am quite excited to graduate. Hopefully school has been going well for you.

Enjoy your stay here, all riight! You're free to ask the staff if you have questions about anything and the like. Oh, and definitely poke around the many Pokemon discussions we have here; there are many of those to explore.

Crunch Punch
August 30th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Wow, awesome intro. And you said you got gold in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?! May I ask where that exactly was? :o And you do Muay Thai as well! That's pretty intense. 'The art of eight limbs'... how is your training like? I can imagine that you are a very fit person and such.

Also whereabouts in England do you live?

PokéPuck
August 30th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Oh, bullies.. I was bullied a fair bit when I was younger myself, though luckily not as much as others. It was just the occasional bully stealing my watch (my fault for giving it to her though, sigh) and people putting in gum in my hair. I didn't do much to combat that, though.. it's great that you tried so hard to prevent it and better yourself. :o I'm impressed! Welcome to the forum, Jader.

But your intro was long in a very good way. Not often do I get to read such interesting introductions - yours has definitely made it to my top five coolest ones. I'm sure you're going to be one of our most memorable new members, hehe. I'm sure you'd be able to join the amazing PC fitness club and talk more about your training experiences there - it's a neat little club and since you have such an interesting story and sport preference, you'll definitely fit in very well! :D By the way, if I may ask, what are you studying right now? I'm in my fifth year of university and am quite excited to graduate. Hopefully school has been going well for you.

Enjoy your stay here, all riight! You're free to ask the staff if you have questions about anything and the like. Oh, and definitely poke around the many Pokemon discussions we have here; there are many of those to explore.
I appreciate your sympathy with my situation. It's not too often you find people who can relate straight off the bat as well, haha.

Thanks for the recommendation to the fitness club!

I am currently studying Sport and Sport Science ^^

And recently, since transferring, it has, thank you!

Wow, awesome intro. And you said you got gold in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?! May I ask where that exactly was? :o And you do Muay Thai as well! That's pretty intense. 'The art of eight limbs'... how is your training like? I can imagine that you are a very fit person and such.

Also whereabouts in England do you live?
I won gold in the English Open and I plan to compete in Brazilian open too.

And it's awesome that you're doing Muay Thai! It's a very intense martial art!

And I would be lying if I said I wasn't fit. I was raised on a Mediterranean diet and after meeting Rener Gracie I took the Gracie diet into my lifestyle. I eat every 5 hours, as the Gracie's, and I, believe that is how long it takes to digest food. I stand at 6ft, I am a welterweight; 12stn, 170lbs.

My training is pretty intense. Since meeting several members of the Gracie family (having worked for money and then attended various seminars while visiting America over the course of my life) I have incorporated some pretty unorthodox ways of training into my routine.

My favourite drill is Skateboard hill sprints. You basically have ropes tethered around you, like a dog, and a partner is behind you on a skateboard. You sprint up the hill as hard as you can, but with all their added weight.

It consists of high volumes of running, swimming, and most recently; gymnastics drills. It is pretty unorthodox to do gymnastics when you are a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu practitioner. But I find it gives me a lot of explosive strength and helps me build muscles I have hardly ever used. I started doing it because of Georges St-Pierre, the current Welterweight champion of the UFC, who does it too. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, sure enough, is all about conserving energy. But you do still need explosive strength for things like hip escapes and especially takedowns. All BJJ competitions start from standing positions, it's better to incorporate Judo throws and basic wrestling takedowns as it gives more tools to your arsenal and they are completely legal. Wrestling especially requires explosive strength and fast switch muscle activation. Gymnastics gives you that.

That's the tip of the iceberg to my training, though. Can't give away too much!

I am currently London based. Thank you for reading. :)