PDA

View Full Version : Game Genres

Peitharchia
August 31st, 2013, 06:12 PM
There are a countless amount of video game genres out there. Some of are a fan of racing, some of us like to play first-person shooter games, and some of us can't even live without RPGs. So, what are your favorite genres? Why do like them? What are some of your favorite games from these genres?

As for me, I find RPG and shooter games to be the most interesting. Legend of Zelda and Assassin's Creed are a couple of my favorite RPGs, and my favorite shooter games are Halo, Battlefield, and Call of Duty.

xxkaylabby
August 31st, 2013, 06:28 PM
my favorite genre of games is rpg and shooters. i love uncharted and tomb raider.

Cherrim
August 31st, 2013, 08:47 PM
My favourite genres are JRPGs (especially action RPGs) and puzzle games.

I find JRPGs really relaxing, usually. I like grinding in them and, if they aren't turn-based, have no problem pouring hours and hours into them. I like the stories, even if they tend to be cliched and linear. I like that the characters are all very developed, whereas WRPGs have more of a tendency to concentrate on the world and the character you play is very much affected by your own choices... meaning if I play a game and someone else plays a game, we could end up with very different outcomes. I like fandom and talking about characters and plot and situations with other people and JRPGs give you so much common ground for that sort of thing. My favourite games in the genre are Kingdom Hearts and Tales. Great stories, love the characters, and battles are so fun. Even after hundreds of hours, I can happily pick them up and enjoy what I'm doing.

Puzzle games are my guilty pleasure. A lot of them tend to fall on the casual side of gaming but I love so many of them. Again, they're very relaxing and you can pick them up and put them down so easily. There's so little commitment involved and it's so freeing, especially compared to my other favourite genre which generally requires ~40 hours minimum per game. :P My favourite puzzle games are Picross, Ghost Trick (totally counts under this genre), and the Professor Layton series. Oh, and honourary mention to Tetris.

Meganium
August 31st, 2013, 08:59 PM
RPG's first-person shooters with great storylines, and anything with so much action packed inside a game is what I like. I also go for games that have a great storyline that can get me hooked on playing. Syphon Filter, Mass Effect, and Metal Gear Solid has that, and they are considered as my favorite games that include this trait.

Koishi Komeiji
August 31st, 2013, 11:05 PM
I just like FPS and driving games. I'm also getting into danmaku (bullet curtain/hell) and...uhh...whatever variations of those there are :3

I really like Need for Speed and Battlefield out of my 2 favourites.

ShadowE
September 1st, 2013, 12:44 AM
FPS, RTS, RPG are my main 3 genres i play. FPS is simple to play and can have some fun in it, RTS makes you think of your actions properly to see if it has effect.

StarCraft 2, Borderlands, Battlefield 3.

«Chuckles»
September 1st, 2013, 01:04 AM
jRPG, RPG, RTS.

Favorite RPG's are Chrono Trigger, Pokemon, TES online Morrowind (with 80gigabytes of mods lol)
Favorite RTS' are RoN, AoE/M and Legendary Heroes: Fallen Enchantress.

Actor
September 1st, 2013, 01:08 AM
I usually play RPGs and Platformers. I like to play RPGs as they require you to think about what a party member needs to do in order to win a battle, while platformers are easy to pick up and play.

The main RPG I'm playing is Pokémon Platimun and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and the main platformer I'm playing is Rayman Legends.

Talli
September 1st, 2013, 11:35 AM
I will play RPGs,Platformers and sim type games

favorite RPGs: Pokemon,Final Fanasty
Platformers: Mario
sim type: Harvest moon,Animal Crossing

Foxrally
September 1st, 2013, 12:08 PM
There are loads of game genres I like. My favourite of all have to be MMORPGs, or MMOs for short. I also love adventure games, such as Assassin's Creed, or Uncharted, or One Piece: Pirate Warriors. There are also genres I absolutely hate, such as FPS games and reflex games (the latter gets on my nerves, the first is just stupid and most of the time unoriginal). Here are some other game genres I've loved even though I don't usually like/enjoy them.

Sushi Cat 1 and 2 (puzzle)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (fighting)
Jetpack Joyride (Reflex)
Wakfu (strategy)
Achievement Unlocked (puzzle)
Neopets (no category really, just a game I was addicted to as a kid)

R.F.
September 1st, 2013, 01:03 PM
RPGs (especially those who let you grind easily and of course the Zelda games) and some specific platforming-games (like the Castlevania games for the DS)

Funnily it's sometimes hard to find any new game I enjoy; most of those I like are considered retro. I guess if retro was a genre I'd take that xD

skyluigi2
September 1st, 2013, 01:14 PM
I love RPGs, platformers and sim games (like Animal Crossing).
That said, I really enjoy so called 'visual novels' like Ace Attorney and Professor Layton (although, is Layton a puzzle game?).

Spartacus
September 1st, 2013, 01:31 PM
Like pretty much everyone else here, I am a fan of RPG games. This is my favorite genre, most of the games I play are RPG games and I grow more and more attached to them everyday. However, I do play and very much enjoy a variety of other genres; shooters, racing, sandbox, sports, adventure, platform, indie, strategy. These are the ones that come to mind and if I remember that I like them, then I know I like them. I have quite a large number of RPG games that I am currently playing; TES series (Skyrim and Oblivion), Guild Wars 2, starting to incredibly slowly get into Dota 2, and trying very hard to like New Vegas since it isn't the type of game I normally play and have found it hard to get in to. Other genre games I am playing are massive, mostly because I just purchased the Humble Bundle before the current which added 10 games to my collection. Burnout Paradise has really got me into my racing games again, I just love the feel you get in racing games and Burnout has a lot to offer. My only downside to the game is that it is quite repetitive so I will probably have large breaks from that game. Dead Space 3 came with the Bundle, and that really is an amazing game. Haven't played it too much but I feel it could be one of my favorites. Now I won't dwell on the games I am currently playing and enjoying, because I would like to mention my favorites. Far Cry 3 is right up there at the top of my list, outstanding game that I could play over and over again, however the ending would become less and less shocking. I think it's good I've only played it through thoroughly once because it's the best feel I can get from the storyline. Skyrim, which I do agree has quite a bit of flaws but I love anyway, so much to do and I never get bored playing it. The game of the moment for me now is Civilization V. I am in love with this game, playing it far too much and have not been able to stop playing it. Everything in the game works and it really is a beaut.

Freezer
September 1st, 2013, 02:57 PM
Platformers are best. New Super Mario Bros (all of them), Wario Land (all of them), Donkey Kong 94, Mario vs DK, Donkey Kong Country 2 and Returns, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Rayman Origins, Mario Galaxy, Mario 64, Crash Bandicoot 1-3, Mario 3D Land, the original Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels, Super Mario Land, Mario Sunshine and Mega Man 2 are some of the best games I ever played, and are also some of my favorite. Looking forward to Rayman Legends, Mario 3D World, Tearaway and especially Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.

I'm also a huge fan of anything arcade (racers, fighting games, etc). Visuals novels are normally something I'll end up loving if written properly (Ace Attorney, 999, Another Code and especially Hotel Dusk.). Puzzles are some of my favorites (Ghost Trick, Tetris, Layton, Zack and Wiki, Punch Out!, Picross) and I also really like games that don't have a specific genre (Warioware, Kid Icarus Uprising). Oh and I'm very good at well-made Rhythm games and I find it hard to hate them. (Rhythm Heaven, Elite Beat Agents, Space Channel. Hell even Just Dance.)

The only genres I outright dislike are RPGs (SRPGs are fine) and anything first person. (Mainly because they give me headaches nowadays than anything, really.)

Nakala Pri
September 5th, 2013, 12:16 AM
I like playing stuff like Eternal Sonata and SolatoRobo, stuff you can really get into. I like adventuring a lot, racing, playing stuff like Sonic. But too be honest, I like hacking people to death...

Sssssssh, no telling..... c:

Plumpyfoof
September 5th, 2013, 05:23 AM
I like most genres. Anything first person however I won't look twice at.
The only thing I'm mildly interested in which is first person is Destiny. I'm intrigued as to how the online is going to go down, I think that would be very cool if they don't stuff it up.

I'm not a hardcore gamer so I don't really get around that much in terms of genres I like to stick to RPG's, platformers and action/adventure games really.