PDA

View Full Version : Here goes nothin'.

Arise
September 4th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Hi there. You can call me Elise or Arise. I live in the United States and have Asperger's Syndrome. I am a self-diagnosed social phobic. I am afraid of people and what they may be thinking of me, and also afraid of embarrassing myself or sounding stupid in a social situation. Because of my social phobia, I have very little experience with forums. I have signed up on other Pokemon forums, but this one felt the least intimidating to actually post on. However, with that said, this is my first time making a thread, and it's terrifying. Even though communication makes me extremely anxious, I am hoping that by taking this first step, I can get myself to talk to people just a little bit, because as much as I try to deny it sometimes, I do get lonely. I think Pokemon might be a good doorway into getting some social experience.

I got into Pokemon in the 90's, when it was all the rage in the US. I watched the anime and had a bunch of merchandise (mostly toys), but since I didn't have a GameBoy (my first console was a PSOne, when I was 10-12 years old), I was never introduced to the video games. The only Pokemon game I ever played was Pokemon Snap at someone's house, which I loved. I outgrew the anime during the Johto season, so much so that I thought Pokemon was stupid. Many years later, my nostalgic feelings for my favorite Pokemon Mew were beginning to rekindle my interest in the franchise, and I decided to try Pokemon SoulSilver. The games are fun, and I don't think I'll be retiring from them for a long time. I am super excited for X and Y, they're like my childhood fantasies of a Pokemon game, especially with the ability to ride Pokemon. I plan to get X since I love Xerneas' design. All I need now is a Pokemon Snap 2!

My interest in Pokemon is mostly fueled by my appreciation for art and design. I love to look at people's fanart of subjects I like, Pokemon included. I would like to learn to draw Pokemon, but I can't draw at all, so I want to practice by copying the Sugimori art. However, it's also hard for me to find the motivation since I'm a pessimist and a perfectionist.

Anyway, I'm a pretty uninteresting person. I will probably never be very active around here, but I will try to post here and there. Thanks for reading. :)

Hikamaru
September 4th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Hello Elise! Welcome to PC!

I noticed you share quite a few things in common with me, especially the social phobia and the Asperger's Syndrome part. Well I don't know if I actually have Asperger's but I do have a condition that's similar to it, often affects my social interactions in real life but on online communities like here I actually have good interaction so I guess we'll get along really well. I understand if you're new to forums in general but PC's a good one to join since we have loads of people you can meet. It's alright to feel nervous but you made a long introduction so that means you did a good job here because we can know a bit about you all in one go.

Anyways, I'm excited for X and Y as well. Any thoughts on which starter you'll be choosing or what Pokemon you'll be using on your team? I'll be taking Froakie for sure, and maybe even Bulbasaur now that it's confirmed we can get the Kanto starters in the game. If you want to talk about the games you should check out the Pokemon X/Y (http://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=256) section just there. Only one month til the games come out and there's still loads of things to speculate!

But yeah, I do hope you can stick around as an active member and the staff members, like our friendly Welcome Lounge mod Cirno are always there if you need help with forum-related questions. I'm always happy to meet newbies so leave me a visitor message or even a friend request because I bet we'll get on really well. Have fun here at PC, Elise!

- Hikari10

Arise
September 5th, 2013, 12:22 AM
Thank you for the kind welcome, Hikari. I actually spent an embarrassingly long time trying to write an introduction, I'm glad I finally got it over with. xD I'm just going to take things slow at first as I try to get comfortable here, but from what I've seen so far, PC seems like a nice place. :)

Froakie is cute! I get sad for him when people say he's ugly. :< As for me, when I first saw the starters, I was initially drawn to Fennekin, but only briefly - I like all their designs. I am leaning on getting Chespin as my starter (I got Chikorita in SoulSilver and Snivy in Black, so I might as well keep the trend going xD ), but ultimately my choice will depend on what the starter's evolutions look like. So far, I have always preferred the grass-type starters, so unless Chespin's evolutions disappoint me, I'll likely be going with him/her. I am hoping they all have awesome designs though, especially since I don't care for most starters as a whole. As for the Kanto starters, I'll probably get Bulbasaur.

Thank you so much for your openness, I won't forget that I can talk to you. :)

Starry Windy
September 5th, 2013, 12:45 AM
Hi there Arise. When I joined, I have little experience in foruming as well, and I was non-social guys too when I first joined. And looks like we have things in common as well :D

But soon I find out that this forum is one nice place, and I become attached to them, because it's one nice forum that you won't forget. Don't worry if you're new ok?

X and Y are sure one big hit! Like Hikari said, it's coming in less than a month, but it will be a fun section to post with. And you're with Pokemon X because of Xerneas? Same with me.

Don't be doubt, because we as friendly PC members will always ready to meet you here. I'm also open for VMs and friend request, so I hope to see you around.

Arise
September 5th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Hi there Arise. When I joined, I have little experience in foruming as well, and I was non-social guys too when I first joined. And looks like we have things in common as well :D

But soon I find out that this forum is one nice place, and I become attached to them, because it's one nice forum that you won't forget. Don't worry if you're new ok?

X and Y are sure one big hit! Like Hikari said, it's coming in less than a month, but it will be a fun section to post with. And you're with Pokemon X because of Xerneas? Same with me.

Don't be doubt, because we as friendly PC members will always ready to meet you here. I'm also open for VMs and friend request, so I hope to see you around.

Aww, your avatar and sig are adorable! I didn't know Victini could BE. SO. CUTE! XD

Thank you also for the kind welcome! I am looking forward to interacting with the members here and maybe even trading and (in the far future) battling as well. I am going to try to keep a positive attitude. ^-^

Shiny Celebi
September 6th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Hey there, Arise :)

Im kind of a social phobic myself, it's hard to be nervous around other people, but there's no need to feel nervous here, everyone's nice. Forums are a good way to talk to people if you're nervous, it helps me.

Ive been into Pokemon for 13 years and love it as well. Im really excited for X and Y and am looking forward to playing.

I hope you enjoy it here on PC, I hope to see you around.