PDA

View Full Version : Retro RPG's

UltraNerdtendo64
September 5th, 2013, 02:04 AM
The RPG Genre is by far my favourite genre out if all and that's excluding the Pokemon franchise if I say so my self! As much as I like Pokemon, they're not in the best of ranks in RPG's much in my opinion. My personal favourites are Chrono, Final Fantasy and the Mother / Earthbound Franchises. (Earthbound is underrated, give it a try if you want. That's recommended.) Anyway, this is just a place about general retro RPG discussion be it well-known (Chrono Trigger, Paper Mario, Final Fantasy III/VI, you name it!), or obscure as heck or never given a chance or much of a chance. (I think you could count Zelda II: Adventure Of Link, Earthbound, Quest 64). Name a few...a bunch...heck! Name your whole collection if you must!

Personal Favourites of Mine:
Chrono Trigger and Cross, Radical Dreamers (Considered part of the Chrono Series), Paper Mario and PM:TTYD, Mother Franchise, Final Fantasy, Zelda II: Adventure Of Link, Kingdom Hearts: Birth-By-Sleep (would you count that as an RPG...?)-- The list goes on and on--! (And yes, Pokemon to before people start asking why. And Pokemon Colosseum is my favourite game in the franchise before people start asking that too.)

Go ahead and post yours like previously mentioned
-UltraNerdtendo64

Dragon
September 5th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Retro RPGs, eh?~ Indeed, RPGs are my favourite genre out there as well, and I did indeed play a few of em'! Let's see...

...For starters, I've played a few Tales games for the NES! Tales of Phantasia, Tales of Destiny, and Tales of Eternia. Tales of Phantasia was definitely a blast to play; it was the first ever game for the Tales series. Proooobably the only thing annoying about it was the encounter rates; about as much as walking in the Rock Tunnel on Pokemon Yellow and encountering various Zubats. Ugh. But hey, I loved the characters and the battle formula was pretty fun. Same goes with Destiny and Eternia; thouuugh I haven't completely finished the former for.. whatever reason.

I've also played Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and -currently- playing Fire Emblem Gaiden for the NES as well. Fire Emblem for the NES was only in Japanese, but, it was pretty straightforward! So is Fire Emblem Gaiden, but yaaaay for translation patches. ^^ All in all, those two games are pretty fun!

Team Fail
September 5th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Final Fantasy III/VI

I love this game. I'm playing through it again. It's the best I've played, even surpassing FFVII. I'm also playing through Mouryou Senki Madara. It's in Japanese, but I'm using a fan translation. It's really good so far.

thedestinedblade
September 5th, 2013, 05:34 PM
RPG lover through and through (namely JRPGs). Started with FFIX back in 2000 and I haven't looked back since. Played a lot over the years, but Mother (NES) is at the top of my list. Shining Force III, Dragon Quest II, FE4, Tactics Ogre are up there as well. Always a fan of the older stuff, and honestly I prefer it to current generation of RPGs. Don't get me wrong, there's still a lot of quality stuff being released, but at heart, I'm still an old-school turn-based fan, lol.

Currently playing Lufia II (SNES), which I had played before and never finished. I've already put in over 20 hours and it's been fun. The thing that stands out to me about this game is the slightly annoying yet challenging dungeon puzzles. :)

Endless
September 5th, 2013, 06:04 PM
The first RPG game I've played was Dragon Warrior. The story wasn't that great by today's standards, but it was still good. You played as a guy known as Erdrick, and your main goal was to defeat the evil Dragonlord. When you got out of your castle at the beginning of the game, you were able to see your enemy's castle right across the river. It wasn't as easy to get there as you might think, though. You've actually had to go all over the world and finish all kinds of mission to finally be able to reach it. I personally liked it, because it was a great swerve. The graphics of this game were a lot better than most NES games, and the music were fun to listen to. Only thing that I didn't like about this game were its controls, because they were kind of tricky to get used to. If I were to give this game a rating, I would give it an eight out of ten. =)

pompayyy
September 6th, 2013, 10:06 PM
FF VI
Earthbound
Mother 3
Chrono Trigger
Terranigma
Super Mario RPG
Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem (it's a english patched rom)
also there's one I recently played called Pom Get's Wifi made with RPG maker. Even though it's not technically retro, it is retro themed so yeeah.

Aeroblast
September 7th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Hydlide is one of the earlist RPGs to date... and it sucks.

I really liked Chrono trigger on the DS, I didn't have the experience to play it in the SNES so DS version was a good thing for me.

Starlight Sprite
September 7th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Final Fantasy VI... I have not seen a finer masterpiece. That game will always have a special place for its moving story, challenging battles, and unforgettable characters.

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars is another classic. I find it superior to the Mario RPGs released in the last few years, though those certainly aren't bad either. I haven't played the NES RPGs much due to frustration, but when navigating the menus isn't too tedious, they can be tons of fun. The early Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy games can be quite challenging. If you want the full challenge, you need to play them on the NES because the majority of the remakes (especially with FF) toned down the difficulty.

UltraNerdtendo64
September 8th, 2013, 02:41 AM
Final Fantasy VI... I have not seen a finer masterpiece. That game will always have a special place for its moving story, challenging battles, and unforgettable characters.

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars is another classic. I find it superior to the Mario RPGs released in the last few years, though those certainly aren't bad either. I haven't played the NES RPGs much due to frustration, but when navigating the menus isn't too tedious, they can be tons of fun. The early Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy games can be quite challenging. If you want the full challenge, you need to play them on the NES because the majority of the remakes (especially with FF) toned down the difficulty.

Yeah, that is a bit of a downside for a few RPG's too imo, some RPG's can be frustratingly hard. (the original Final Fantasy...let's just not mention that frustration) Some remakes actually give you items to completely nerf the bosses and superbosses too.
(Example: There's an item in Chrono Trigger DS that lets you nerf the superboss. The superboss "Nu Spekkio" only has one physical attacks that will ALWAYS put you on 1 HP, and the rest of it's attacks are magic. There's an armor that I am not sure of the name because I played the original CT on the SNES, but it absorbs all magic attacks nerfing the boss to the point where you could take on a Coliseum of them. The funny thing is you have to go through the super-dungeon to get the armor. And I find it funny that Nu Spekkio isn't in the super-dungeon.)
Final Fantasy Origins did great, though. They knew the original game on the NES was hard, so they kept the original difficulty as well as made a secondary difficult level to make it easier. :) I am going through that frustration right now though... #LevelGrinding

UltraNerdtendo64
September 16th, 2013, 01:54 AM
Does this name sound familiar for those that have played the hell out of the RPG Franchise: "Pokemon Diamond and Jade". Quite rare for me to talk about bootleg actually. Lets just not in general after the horror that was Pokemon Red and Pokemon Gold for NES.

Penta Penguin
September 16th, 2013, 02:03 AM
My first RPG that I played was Phantasy Star, back on the ol' Sega Master System. The dungeon music for that is the most memorable music on the game. As far as retro goes, I've only played the first 2 Phantasy Stars and Miracle Warriors.

Starlight Sprite
September 16th, 2013, 03:58 AM
Does this name sound familiar for those that have played the hell out of the RPG Franchise: "Pokemon Diamond and Jade". Quite rare for me to talk about bootleg actually. Lets just not in general after the horror that was Pokemon Red and Pokemon Gold for NES.

I remember these. I played a ROM of "Pokemon Diamond." I was pretty quick to realize it wasn't actually a Pokemon game, but it was still largely unplayable due to game breaking bugs and poor translation. The actual series is called Telefang, and it's never seen a release outside of Japan. It's a rather strange concept where you get monsters' telephone numbers and call theme to battle. :7:

UltraNerdtendo64
September 18th, 2013, 10:58 PM
I remember these. I played a ROM of "Pokemon Diamond." I was pretty quick to realize it wasn't actually a Pokemon game, but it was still largely unplayable due to game breaking bugs and poor translation. The actual series is called Telefang, and it's never seen a release outside of Japan. It's a rather strange concept where you get monsters' telephone numbers and call theme to battle. :7:
lol. I never played it, but now I can't help and laugh at the concept. xD